• Overall
    4.4 /5
    4.4 /5
  • Customer Service Software

About Expensify

Easily track your receipts and manage expenses on the go with Expensify.

Learn more about Expensify

Laura R.
Accouning Associate
Investment Management Software, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 18/08/2020

"Smoothest expense reporting software ever"

Comments: Overall, everything has been good with Expensify down to the coding for my purposes. Users like that it literally creates a report they get paid for almost immediately without them having to nag accounting. It's a win win for everyone and well worth the cost per user.

Pros: The ease of use for our employees is great and very intuitive. I can make changes on the fly to reports if another user doesn't have it quite right for accounting purposes. It categorizes everything including mileage right where it should be.

Cons: Integration with our accounting software would probably be very easy if I could get higher ups to agree (They worry it might not flow correctly). I do have to take some manual steps to make that happen - otherwise there is nothing I want to add to the Con List.

• Reviewed on 18/08/2020
Mark B.
VP
  • Reviewed on 05/05/2020

"Good Product - Truly Awful Onboarding and Support"

Comments: While the product is good if you don't have any complications, the onboarding and support are probably the worst I have ever experienced. After a brief training session, there is no longer any phone call support allowed (only email and chat and the delays could be many hours and often days). More recently with the COVID-19 situation, their usage has plummeted so they recently announced a doubling of pricing (100% increase) to all users if they don't switch to using their credit card which for many companies (including ourselves and including reasons like the cc syncing problem) will not work. The message about the price increase was hidden in a very very long email from the CEO titled something about support improvements.

Pros: It is easy for the end user to use, particularly given the mobile app. It has a lot of good controls and notifications for potential user errors or abuses.

Cons: The credit card sync features often don't work or are significantly delayed (days, weeks if at all) which causes unintended reimbursements for non reimbursable expenses and messed up accounting.

• Reviewed on 05/05/2020
Sally G.
Controller
  • Reviewed on 05/12/2019

"Expensify is pretty good"

Comments: Overall I think Expensify is a solid product but I do believe they would do well to add a lot of functionality from an administrator / accounting perspective.

Pros: I like the ease of loading receipts and drilling down into an expense report to find the data I need for accounting purposes. I like the user interface. It's extremely easy to add a new user and our new users never really have questions so I think the users find it easy to navigate. I love that it interfaces with our accounting software creating a seamless exchange of data once everything is set up properly; this saves a lot of time and duplicate entry. I love that it has a direct pay option - the users get the payments directly to their bank account.
The customer support is a chat feature - they don't always respond immediately but it's always pretty quick and they are extremely responsive. They have always helped solve all my issues and I consider their support to be pretty top-notch.

Cons: I think the product is lacking altogether in Reporting functionality. There's really not even a "Reports" module to speak of. You have to basically go in and pull your own data from the modules ...it makes everything feel clunky and unprofessional. It's also tricky to find what you need in settings, from an administrator perspective.

Amy H.
Book Publisher
  • Reviewed on 15/08/2017

"I WOULD NOT FUNCTION WITH OUT THIS APP!!!"

Comments: My life is easier, I don't have to hang on to receipts that lose their ink. And it automates everything. I love it!

Pros: My favorite function of this app is that I simply take a photo of my receipt and it inputs EVERYTHING. It inputs the name of the place the receipt is from, the amount of money, and the date on the receipt. It's so simple! It even transfers my receipts from British pounds to US dollars automatically for me when I'm traveling. Or Canadian, or any other country I'm in. It does the conversion for me. Everything is automated. My life is so much easier, and I don't have to carry any receipts around with me. The other favorite thing is that once I'm ready to send a report in, it can be for the month, or a specific trip, or what ever, it emails the entire report broken down into categories for me in a PDF file with the receipt photos attached in the PDF. BOOM!

• Reviewed on 15/08/2017
Jahangir A.
Operation And Administration Associate
  • Reviewed on 09/10/2018

"Smart Solution for all kinds expense reimbursement and reporting."

Comments: I have been using this software tool from 2014 to till now. So, I am used to submitting all of my company expenses via Expensify weekly based. It's really helpful and amazing tools who saved my times and make my all financial reimbursement process easy and simple. There is some issues, bugs and updating with longtime issues which are really frustrating. I hope Expensify team will improve this matter soon.

Pros: 1. Simple, anyone can easily operate this app/website without having pre-training
2. Website Design, useful tools to create reports are really great.
3. Report generate, modify is pretty simple and smart AI system to rectify any man-made error.
4. Controlling and distrubuting reports to multiple label of Finance and Accounts are highly streamlined.

Cons: 1. Sometimes I lost the entire report without seeing its update. Still has some serious bugs.
2. Hang up and not working too long time to come back to online during website updating or ease issue.
3. AI for auto creating reports and manually input data are mismatching and annoying.

• Reviewed on 09/10/2018
Travis E.
Executive Director
Nonprofit Organization Management, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 31/05/2019

"Expensify solved our receipt problems"

Comments: We no longer have to keep paper receipts, and Expensify even tracks international service charges to match out of country purchases to our credit card bills.

Pros: We used to have to keep paper receipts and scan them into emails, Expensify has solved that while also making it easy to reimburse someone when they use a personal account to make a purchase.

Cons: Sometimes Expensify will disconnect with our bank software and we will not be able to submit reports until they reconnect.

• Reviewed on 31/05/2019
Tom M.
Sales Manager
Computer Software, 501-1,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 09/04/2018

"Makes one of the dreaded things that you hate to do for work (expense reports) super easy!"

Comments: Makes getting my expensise reprts done so much quicker and easier

Pros: Easy to uplaod reciepts. Love the ability to make a purchase, take a picture of the reciept, uplaod the picture and being able to get rid of recipet and not have a ton of recipets filling up my wallet when I travel is AWESOME!

Cons: The milage app is good but could be imroved if it saved default address that I frequently use so I don't alys have to type in the same address for my milages.

• Reviewed on 09/04/2018
Brittany R.
Cpa
  • Reviewed on 11/01/2018

"Makes my life easy"

Pros: Ease of use! After taking a pic of receipt for credit card charge for the business card then it just handles it and tries to code it where it did last time! I just love that! My clients also love it so I am a big fan. It helps us do the pre accounting we need.

Cons: There are some strange parts of the setup to connect to Intacct that I think could use some work... Especially since they are a CPA.com partner now. Getting that integration right would be amazing. Also- having all card connections would be key. Then I never have to debate putting a client on the software.

• Reviewed on 11/01/2018
Jack of All Trades
Hospital & Health Care, 201-500 Employees
  • Reviewed on 19/03/2018

"Easy to use expense software that you can only appreciate it if you've used anything else."

Comments: Really the only way to appreciate Expensify is to use any other expense software. You'll quickly realize just how much time is saved with this little app. I can expense on the fly, before I even walk out of the store, with just a matter of clicks.

Pros: Simple. Easy to use. Automated receipt scanning. Automated categorization, with smart features that learns from your changes and preferences. Works on multiple platforms, although the mobile app is the most useful. Submit and edit expenses anytime, anywhere. I've yet to come across anything else that works as well. This will save you time and money, and most importantly help your employees maintain their sanity while filing accurate expenses.

Cons: The "smart scanning" of receipts was very buggy a year ago, but seems to work fairly well now. In the past I avoided it and entered everything manually, instead of trying to spot the mistakes. The only issues I seem to run into now is when a vendor doesn't list their name at the top of the receipt or in large/bold letters. It will often pick up something else like the address as the business name. It's pretty easy to spot though.

• Reviewed on 19/03/2018
Grzegorz S.
IT

"Great software"

Comments: Great software for expenses, I would recommend it to everyone who is looking for new app

Pros: It gives you the ability to easily submit your expenses using mobile app where you can take photo of the receipt and just submit it in few minutes.

Cons: I didnt found any issues with this software so far so there is no much to say in here for me. Great app

Cardelia H.
Pastor
  • Reviewed on 17/04/2018

"I have loved my experience with expensify. It has streamlined my receipts and expenses process."

Pros: I love the ability to track EVERYTHING, from receipts to mileage to credit cards, all in one place. The online access is fantastic for business trips. I no longer have to wait until I'm home to calculate and input incurred expenses.

Cons: The fact that the reports need to be submitted and approved is probably very helpful in most businesses, but in the church, as the pastor, I use it for personal accountability so that I have records if needed and to have them for tax purposes.

• Reviewed on 17/04/2018
Kathy C.
Cosmetics, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 07/12/2016

"Happy Expensify User!"

Comments: This software has changed a frustrating situation into a simple system! Even the tax man was impressed. No more receipts in a shoebox.

Pros: Easy to use and available on all my devices.

Cons: I'm sure I'm not using all of the features to the fullest.

by Expensify on 08/12/2016

Hi Kathy, thanks for reviewing Expensify! If you'd like to learn more about our features and how to use them, definitely shoot us an email at [email protected] and we can show you how it works! Let us know if you have additional questions, and so glad to hear you're loving Expensify :)

• Reviewed on 07/12/2016
Nick S.
Finance
Accounting Software, 501-1,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 04/03/2019

"Simply love using Expensify!"

Pros: Ability to manage expense, reports and receipts. Love that it can save paper and save LOTS of time! Very user friendly and easy to on-board new staff with

Cons: Smartscan takes a long time sometimes and sometimes the website lags due to lots of users

• Reviewed on 04/03/2019
Education Account Manager
Consumer Electronics, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 07/03/2018

"Great tool for submitting and managing expense reports"

Pros: My company uses Expensify for all of our expense reports. It is very easy to create reports and upload receipts. The work flow also makes it easy for directors and managers to approve reports and submit reimbursements.

Cons: I do not have many complaints about the software, my biggest complaint is more of a user error than anything. For each line item on a report there is a check box to verify whether the item is reimbursable. All of the expenses I submit are reimbursable so this box is unnecessary and I always forget to check it. I wish there was a way to check all to avoid this error.

by Expensify on 12/03/2018

Hi there, thanks for your awesome review!

To auto-mark expenses as Reimbursable, follow the instructions here:

Go to Account Settings > Expense Rules > create an Expense Rule > put a period ¿.¿ in the ¿When the Merchant¿ name contains box. Then, choose Reimbursable. If you want this to apply to all past expenses, check the box for ¿apply to matching past expenses¿.

Hope this helps, thanks for using Expensify and leaving us a nice review!

• Reviewed on 07/03/2018
Adam R.
EA
Internet, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 14/05/2019

"Makes expense tracking and reports much easier"

Pros: Eliminates the need for paper accumulation and it also great to just be able to immediately snap a picture of a receipt and have it populate in the app.

Cons: Sometimes the auto-population from cc and receipt breaks and there is still a need to track down the receipt to manually upload it to the expense. Also, this app sometimes doesn't work for people who are in an extreme rush and forget to upload the receipt when received. In theory, it works perfectly, but one needs to still be disciplined enough to remember to use it.

• Reviewed on 14/05/2019
Allisono G.
Finance Manager
  • Reviewed on 17/10/2019

"Good, easy to use expense report solution"

Comments: We went from using paper expense reports, so this was a huge improvement I was very glad to use. It's pretty easy to use and I don't have many complaints.

Pros: That it easily integrates with QuickBooks desktop, and with American Express so I can import expenses. I also like that you are only charged for active users, so you don't have to offboard people who leave the company.

Cons: When you add a new vendor in QuickBooks you have to re-sync and it throws off the custom tags - you have to reconfigure each time. This is only a minor inconvenience, however.

• Reviewed on 17/10/2019
Principal
Leisure, Travel & Tourism, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 15/08/2019

"Easy for solopreneurs or teams"

Pros: Easy for solopreneurs or teams to track and approve expenses and generate expense reports.

Cons: Bit of a learning curve, but super easy when you get the hang of it.

• Reviewed on 15/08/2019
Steve S.
Pastor
Religious Institutions, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 30/10/2018

"Making expense reports less painful"

Comments: Very satisfied in an area where ease of use, efficiency and cost effectiveness are key.

Pros: Super easy to transfer receipts via photo or email and quickly match expenses with documentation.

Cons: Certain functionality is much easier when using a computer, while other functions are much easier on a mobile device. Essentially need both for the smoothest operation.

• Reviewed on 30/10/2018
Enterprise Account Executive
Computer Software, 501-1,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 06/04/2021

"Expensify is decent for what it does but a product I'd ever recommend"

Comments: It saves me time with my receipts and allows me to get reimbursed quickly, but this isn't a company I'd ever want to support. I wish my company would drop them.

Pros: Expensify has some cool things about it. It's pretty quick and easy to submit receipts for expenses and the approval process is easy. It's simple to add receipts and get everything compiled into one report for reimbursement.

Cons: I don't like that it's not always simple to add multiple receipts to one expense. Sometimes one is missing a date so I need to also include a card statement screenshot and adding the supporting documents doesn't appear within the report like I'd like them to. I also wish there was a better way to add comments to the expense itself rather than the chat-like thread within the report. I also have never had much luck with the auto-receipt reader. I just enter my info manually because it hasn't been super reliable. Most importantly, I have to say that the email message Expensify's [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] sent out to ALL Expensify users prior to the 2020 election was absolutely inappropriate and unprofessional. He had no place to use his platform and account holder lists to blast every Expensify user with such a biased, partisan message. If it were up to me, I would have dumped Expensify that very moment across my entire company because I don't want to do business with an organization that shoves their politics into my face unsolicited, regardless of which side of the fence they're on. Very dissatisfied with this approach.

• Reviewed on 06/04/2021
Marc L.
Project and =&M Manager
Broadcast Media, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 07/10/2019

"Amazing solution to keep track of business expenses"

Comments: In my opinion I have not seen any other expense management software as complete as this one.

Pros: Ability to keep track of mileage /expenses and to automatically generate and submit reports. The solution can be used directly on your cell phone or through its web site. Allows to log receipts by taking pictures of them.

Cons: The option to scan receipts by taking a picture of them is slow and takes too much time to upload and process. The results are not always accurate.

• Reviewed on 07/10/2019
Clayton S.
Customer Success
  • Reviewed on 10/10/2017

"Best expensing tool I've ever used"

Pros: It's hard to pick, but I think the ability to add photos of receipts and edit them later is my favorite. Also great is the ability to link credit cards and have expenses auto-file.

Cons: Not much here, but sometimes the load times can be a bit slow when the system is scanning the receipt.

• Reviewed on 10/10/2017
Billy G.
Lead Pastor
Religious Institutions, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 13/02/2020

"Makes Expense Reports Bareable"

Comments: Expensify has made my monthly reports so much simpler. I am immensely thankful for this software.

Pros: I cannot express how much I love the ease of use of Expensify. Being able to snap a picture or forward my receipts has made life so much easier.

Cons: I'm not a huge fan of the extra expense to reimburse myself. It's a marginal complaint but it's easier to write a check then spend extra money.

• Reviewed on 13/02/2020
Sharon M.
Council Member
Computer Software, 5,001-10,000 Employees
  • Source: GetApp
  • Reviewed on 05/10/2015

"App is amazing!"

Comments: We have been using Expensify at our firm for over 5 years. We highly recommend it to all our clients, especially for the mobile app! You can take a picture of your receipt right on your phone from the app, and using smart scan, it will even put all the information in right from the receipt (name, amount etc). Then you can code everything and make a report and submit For clients who have trouble with receipts, this couldn't get any easier.
We also like that you can have multiple levels or approvals, download credit card transactions right into the program, reimburse employees , and it all syncs to QBO.
Can't recommend it enough, it makes expense reporting a breeze.

Pros: Mobile App, approval levels, customer service, price, easy of use

Cons: Can take a little but to get it set up, but once it is, you are off and running!

• Source: GetApp
  • Reviewed on 05/10/2015
Performing Singer-Songwriter
Performing Arts, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 22/01/2019

"Great Idea - Probably works out great for many people!"

Comments: Likely good for masses of expenses, if you're just a little guy - might not be worth the time.

Pros: It is a great idea. The idea sounds like a time saving solution. It's also a cute app. I could see it being very handy for business trips/answering to a boss/manager and reporting to them. I could also see this being handy for someone who has a ton of expenses.

Cons: It fails to scan receipts - which is the whole reason for the thing. As an individual contractor/artist it didn't save time at all. Keeping track of expenses is much easier and less time consuming if I tackle a pile of receipts all at once in a simple spreadsheet rather than trying to scan the dang things every time I get one and make sure it's done right. It's actually less time/hands on receipts: Once when I get it, once when I log it.

• Reviewed on 22/01/2019
Ahamed R.
Hyperion Consultant
  • Reviewed on 05/10/2017

"Great tool to track and invoice expenses."

Pros: Mobile friendly interface that lets me scan receipts immediately. Saves me the time to have to collect and scan receipts every week.

Cons: Forces to an approval and submission process . I only require to send a PDF formattedreport to my client.

• Reviewed on 05/10/2017