15 years helping Israeli businesses

About Shopify

Shopify is a commerce platform that allows anyone to easily sell online, at a retail location, and everywhere in between.

Learn more about Shopify

Pros:

Shopify is an excellent solution for both beginners and professionals. They offer a 14-day free trial and it is user friendly.

Cons:

Each time I close this software, I'll have to re-login typing my email and password and it freezes sometimes, I'll have to logout and login again to see my sales stats.

Shopify ratings

4.5
4.4
4.4
4.3

8.4/10

Shopify has an overall rating of 4.5 out 5 stars based on 6,327 user reviews on Capterra.

Have you used Shopify before?

Filter reviews (6,327)

Melissa
Melissa
Founder in US
Retail, Self Employed

Long time user

5.0 2 months ago New

Comments: As a startup, you get great bang for your buck. Do your research on apps and features before committing

Pros:

The changes to the online editor have been amazing. Easy to create the website you envision without coding experience. The App Store is a great asset,

Cons:

App costs can add up, not a fan of the blog page layout

Sarah
Senior Project Manager in US
Health, Wellness & Fitness, 11–50 Employees

We love shopify

Pros:

Easy to use, set up. When are on the free theme, Dawn. Which has been easy to train our team to update on backend when needed and save more customized or complex updated for our Dev team. We are currently upgrading to a new theme, so can't wait to see how that turns out.

Cons:

You need an app for everything. Also, that analytics are not that great especially for subscription orders.

MARY GARVEY
OWNER in US
Wholesale, 2–10 Employees

Thought I was signing up for an Integrated POS System and Website

Comments: Feels like Shopify sucks you in and is not transparent. When you realize what the system doesn’t do...they apologize and are very kind but not very helpful. There are a bunch of awkward apps you can buy to fix the problems but they don’t work very well. Wish someone would just make an easy functioning system that met business that sell inventory on line and in person.

Pros:

It is easy to get a website up and running. Adding products is easy.

Cons:

WHERE DO I BEGIN: -inventory records only go back three months...I was horrified to find out I lost 4 months of inventory records. -to print a receipt...you need to buy and download an app...it is awkward to use and takes a couple minutes for the receipt to upload before you can print it. -to have employees log in you need to download and app and pay monthly -you can not do a credit on someone’s account if they return something...You need to either return their money or give them a gift card it is awkward and difficult to use. -if you mark an order pending payment you cannot take payment on the POS system. -you cannot add any vender information that is not visible to your customers. -the duplicate feature when adding products doesn’t work properly....to hard to explain what should be duplicated and what shouldn’t but trust me it wasn’t created by someone that understands business

Marco
Health, Wellness & Fitness, 2–10 Employees

Shopify works!

Comments: Extremely happy with it. So glad we changed from word press which had lots of problems. Very very pleased.

Pros:

Ease of use, never have had one single problem from anyone ordering that we’ve hear about, safe, secure, people are able to navigate easily through the site. Nothing bad to say.

Cons:

Kinda expensive to keep up with the annual cost, but it’s worth it.

Rey
Consumer Electronics, Self Employed

Ease of use and professional look

Pros:

The ease of use. I literally learned the ins and outs of shopify in a few weeks without having a code writing background

Cons:

The price is a little bit high if you are just starting, however you can always use the free trial for really cheap

Design, 2–10 Employees

best online business service provider

Comments: I have used shopify for less time but overall my experience is good with shopify. I am sure that using shopify for online business and marketing is best solution. You can opt with it.

Pros:

Shopify is best for creating your brand and making a online shopping website, I like the features and services they provide. managing products and inventory. easy to manage payments and shipping. You can manage your online business in one click. You can easily reach your business to potential clients.

Cons:

Shopify is best in online business management. only things which I can mention is using pro version only can help you to create good business. its quite expensive but if you have good products and dropshipping knowledge then only you can able to manage shopify as your online business partner. A wordpress website is you can choose an option.

Monalisa
Digital marketing in South Africa
Marketing & Advertising, 2–10 Employees

An amazing platform for small and startup businesses

Comments: Overall, Shopify is the best platform for small and startup business to grow and make their brand known, easier and cheaper, even if its a little hard when getting started in the designing world, it gets you hooked up and you can never be disappointed.

Pros:

makes it easier to get your brand up and running, cheaper and easier to work with.

Cons:

can be hard to design for those new to the world of design

Martin
Reservations Sales Agent in US
Hospitality, 201–500 Employees

Why I Prefer Shopify

5.0 4 days ago New

Comments: Creating shopping carts and improving our company brand online is at breeze with Shopify.

Pros:

Creating and branding our hospitality industry online has been made easy by Shopify.

Cons:

Shopify has all the features that I yearn to use on a daily basis - no errors encountered so far.

Karim
Sales manager in Morocco
Information Services, 11–50 Employees

All you need to grow your business

5.0 2 months ago New

Pros:

No need to be a developer or to have scripting skills, just focus on your business and let the software do the job

Cons:

The migration from prestashop was very complicated

tao
Freelancer in China
Telecommunications, Self Employed

I like it, Really!

Comments: I like it.
Getting more people to patronize your online stores requires heavy marketing. Email marketing, SMS marketing, Facebook ads, Google ads, Search Engine Optimization, popups, and more are different types of marketing.

Pros:

Receiving payment on Shopify is no longer a problem. Shopify now has multiple payment options, which include third-party platforms.

Cons:

No Email Hosting, I real dont like that

Randi

Shopify is Go To for Building Any eCommerce Physical Product Store

Comments: Shopify is amazing. Building an e-commerce website on your own or with a developer is ultimately complex. Shopify has made this a simple experience. Building your own eCommerce site typically would require you to pay for a lot of things in all different places such as hosting with GoDaddy and a URL and then you need to buy all this different plugins from different developers. It becomes a headache. Your site can also crash and get buggy as a result. Shopify is an all-in-one solution and will usually never crash unless all of Shopify is under maintenance. It's just a really great software and a must use if you're building an eCommerce website for the first time. You can start with Shopify and most likely find all the features you need to keep your site there for the long haul.

Pros:

Shopify allows even a beginner to build a really nice looking, responsive eCommerce site. You offer templates that you know help store owners be more successful. They are already designed really well and someone just needs to switch out elements to make the store their own. You made it easy to buy a domain, a template and hosting all in one place. You also have it easy to setup your sales tax which on platforms like Magento and Wordpress can requires additional plugins that can be a headache. You connect well with distribution channels such as Amazon and eBay and I can manage my inventory quantities all in one place.

Cons:

Cons is of course with any DIY software limitations within the software. You also to customize this need to work with developer who really knows Shopify and deep coding experience, versus building a website on Wordpress, millions of developers know wordpress, Shopify has less true experts to choose from.

Jeremiah
Jeremiah
Head of Technology in US
Marketing & Advertising, 11–50 Employees

Hands down the easiest eCommerce platform

Comments: I resisted Shopify for a long time because I absolutely love WooCommerce and the concept of open source software. Over the years Shopify has won me over with it's ease-of-use. If your site requires a very high level of complexity, i.e. dynamically generating ebooks, built-in queue technology, sophisticated subscriptions, etc. I'll usually recommend using something like WooCommerce. Or if you literally have zero budget for a website... Otherwise, it's Shopify all the way. Shopify's prices are very fair, it's easy for admins and staff alike to use, and it integrates with all the most critical 3rd party tools. There are very rare cases in which you won't have access to a technology you want, and if that's the case the API is robust enough to allow for a custom developed solution to most of those problems. Shopify is arguably the best overall eCommerce platform, with WooCommerce being the only other system that gives it a real run for its money.

Pros:

Shopify is the easiest eCommerce platform and offers an excellent combination of ease-of-use and power. I love WooCommerce (have used it for site builds since 2012), but Shopify has become my new go-to for basic eCommerce builds in recent years. If you know what you're doing you can literally get a simple Shopify site up and running in less than 2 hours. The plugin and theme marketplaces on Shopify are phenomenal. They're not as extensive as the WP plugin marketplaces, but the overall quality is better, making up for the quantity gap. There are still a few holes compared to something like WooCommerce, but Shopify will do 95% of what you could imagine doing on an eCommerce site, and do it easier than anyone else. Stability may be the biggest selling point of Shopify. Because you don't control the server, database, or mid-tier code, the hard maintenance is all done by Shopify automatically. Most serious eCommerce businesses make back their subscription just in the maintenance cost savings.

Cons:

Shopify is not nearly as flexible as something like WooCommerce or Magento because you don't have access to the server's backend code or the database. This makes it harder (and sometimes even impossible) to build out really sophisticated solutions to difficult data oriented problems. That said, those kinds of problems are rare and most businesses will be able to find alternative solutions. Shopify is going to run you $30/month+. Compared to a lot of the open source options out there this can feel expensive. Apps can drive that price higher very quickly. For most small businesses they're going to find themselves paying $50-$100/month for the features they need to drive their online sales. If you're willing to go without some functionality (or find a free alternative) you can keep that cost in the $30-$50/month range.

Adam
IT Manager in US
Law Enforcement Software, 2–10 Employees

I LOVE Shopify

Comments: It's been a highly successful project. We went from having an idea to having a very successful website within a year. Upkeep is a breeze and they are always improving their software. In the 2.5 years we have been using Shopify software, I have never had to contact support or interact with Shopify about any issues. It just works.

Pros:

Shopify made launching a new website super easy. We had an idea to start selling a new product line that differed from what we were already doing, so we decided to create a new website. Shopify made it easy to design our website, create a product catalog and start selling. Shopify is low-cost but feature rich. They blow away the competition when it comes to launching new, and established E-commerce websites. It took less than 6 months from signing up to selling. Our store has been very successful and I credit that to how easy Shopify made the whole process.

Cons:

My only complaint is that we cannot use "Shopify Payments" to process credit cards for our product line. We have to use an external credit card processor and that makes it more expensive. Shopify charges additional fees if you do not use their in house Credit Card Processor, but will not waive fees when they do not allow you to use their processor.

Jared
Jared
Marketing Agency Owner in US

Shopify Store Impact

Comments: I would recommend this product to somebody else if you are just beginning your journey with e-commerce and you do not want to waste a lot of time launching or developing a website.

Pros:

I really like the user interface because it's not complicating to read or review and it doesn't take away time from any person that's just beginning to write or develop their own website.

Cons:

I do not like the paid website templates I think it should be more open sourced to integrate with sites such as WordPress and woocommerce so that more people can access this platform; however, I do understand they provide a holistic package for small to medium sized businesses which is much more affordable than some options.

Analyst/Product Specialist in Barbados
Information Technology & Services, 5,001–10,000 Employees

Best Ecom Setup There Is

Comments: I have been using Shopify for over a year, and it is perfect for doing ecommerce. I have built several stores using this product and it is now down to a science where it takes less than a day to research, setup and run a store on Shopify.

Pros:

If you are doing ecommerce, Shopify is it. From product selection, sales, fulfilment, customer retention and increasing lifetime value of customers, this all in one platform does it all. With the use of apps, it possible to extend the functionality of Shopify to manage any scenario.

Cons:

Based on the use of apps, it may see your monthly cost increase and slows down the website you are using to sell

Keith
Business Owner in US
Information Technology & Services, Self Employed

Shopify gets the job done!

Comments: I was unable to make the full switch to shopify BUT I was impressed by what I saw. The overall design of the backend was much cleaner than expected. Sadly, I could not justify the switch as features I wanted cost more when compared to competitors, and the cost difference could not be justified. Its not a complete online e-commerce solution.

Pros:

Nearly everything on their backend was well thought out and easy to use. I was able to have an online store configured in minutes from my already existing product catalog, and integration into my already existing product stack was easy to understand.

Cons:

The ONE feature I need to be able to switch to literally ANYONE else was NOT a standard feature and would cost me additional fees. Without the ability to distribute keys/codes leaving my current provider serves no purpose as it would just increase my monthly operating costs. The feature set for all of these online e-commerce solutions is almost cookie cutter otherwise.

Apparel & Fashion, 2–10 Employees

Shopify Customer Review

Comments: Shopify enabled us to expand our eBay operation and become fully independent. We are able to display our products and retain our identity online.

Pros:

It is easy to use and learn. Errors can be rectified easily and cataloging is easy once you understand the basics of tagging. Themes offered are easy to use and modify. Customer service is available any time and phone reps are well spoken and fluent in english. Very good option is considering a move from eBay with their ever changing policies.

Cons:

The software does take time to learn and there are limitations as it is not a tailored custom solution. But there are work around and almost any functionality can be added or achieved on shopify.

Judah
Judah
Senior Account Executive - Commercial Print in US
Retail, 11–50 Employees

OK but MUCH room for improvement

Comments: 2014 = great
2018 = terrible
I would encourage rep. to contact me.

Pros:

When I first signed up for Shopify 4-5 years ago I thought it was the best thing to happen to ecommerce. Gurus were knowledgeable and accessible (via phone!), the product worked beautifully and it met my needs. Now that my business has grown and I'm finding that Shopify is not set up to handle a business of high growth. Shopify has grown so fast that the average conversation with a Guru has dropped from outstanding to barely acceptable. Most of the time, the I know more than the Gurus. Follow up from the gurus is also terrible. You can still reach them by phone but if you need to speak to someome in the company with more experience, you can only access them via email and they take FOREVER to get to you. So you can forget about getting any help from someone with real knowledge of the product. The native functionality is also only good for very basic businesses. For example, if you need to ship a single item in multiple boxes, you can forget about doing that natively in the app or taking advantage of their discounted shipping rates. If you want to get a custom app built, you can forget about getting any support on the API from the gurus because they don't know anything about API. Again, there is no escalation point for customers who have a higher level of needs. Want help from the Shopify Expert community? You can forget about being called and speaking to someone local. Most won't do it, I've tried. If you get a response, the best you'll get is an email that reads something alo

Cons:

ng the lines of "I can do this for you." and it's from someone on the other side of the world that has no clue about you, your business, your country or it's customs. I could go on and on but in summary, I am HIGHLY disappointed with the level of support and in 4 years have gone from a loyal, enthusiastic customer to a highly disgruntled customer looking for new options.

Cheslyn
Teacher in South Africa
Primary/Secondary Education, Self Employed

The Software is only Effective if the Product is.

Comments: It is important to note that I do not blame Shopify for a business's failure, it is merely the platform and spring-board and not the gymnast, the product you sell in your store matters and it is your job to dedicate your time, effort, and...Uhm...money to help your business succeed, and Shopify helped me with that and it was great and it can be great for anyone who makes use of this system or those planning to use it. Although, I wasn't kidding about the YT Tutorials, study the in and outs and hows and you'll do just great. Shopify offers its own tutorials but it's better to see people like you and me actually do it, practically, than to see it in theory.

Pros:

I was on the road to entrepreneurship when I invested my time and money into Shopify, my eyes were wide with hope and it is important to note that this software requires training, extensive training. This software offers great functionality and is very in tune with the internet and allows you to stay in this Shopify bubble and do all that you need to do...HERE, in Shopify. The software becomes, very, user-friendly after a few Youtube tutorials, this study process shouldn't take more than a few hours for you to get the hang of this program and once you do, the simplicity is amazing. I was astounded and how connected this software is, not only to all social media but to other applications that can make your Shopify journey great and financially fruitful.

Cons:

This is really my only gripe with this software...the price. Shopify dazzles you with the shimmering glow of entrepreneurship and the tasty smell of financial success, but that can only happen if you can afford the monthly premium that allows your store to stay open and those first few months are a doozy, especially if your business is taking a while to get its footing. We all hope that we can start a great business with zero capital, but that's a fantasy for the most part, and I wouldn't complain if all I had to pay for was the monthly subscription to Shopify, but I also had to pay for all those extra applications that would have helped my business flourish, all the little things added up and started to get daunting and expensive and made me feel like it wasn't worth it, but if you stick it out and if you have the right product, Shopify will help sky-rocket your business.

Desta
Manager in US
Marketing & Advertising, 2–10 Employees

Honest and open review of Shopify

Comments: My print-on-demand web store was powered by Shopify (which is not active anymore for commercial reasons, but I still keep my account there so I am still a paying customer). Technically, the system is simple to use, and the customer service is superb. Shopify provides you with a few design templates to begin with, which you may need some assistance customizing if you have a specific idea for the look of your future website. That was the most difficult element for me, as it always is when creating a good-looking website. If you opt with something easy, you'll be able to get your store up and operating in a matter of hours - no coding required. And that was i did mostly. I highly recommend Shopify if you are like me.

Pros:

I like Shopify's robust backend editor and inventory system, which have helped me manage – and scale – larger stores. I also like Shopify's ability to sell via many channels, such as Facebook, Instagram, Amazon, and eBay. Its unique design functionality and versatility, allow me to choose from a variety of free and paid themes, as well as its extensive library of apps and third-party extensions, all of which help with taking my business to the next level. I like that it accepts over 100 different payment methods and has its own payment gateway, Shopify Payments. Their round-the-clock customer service is also excellent.

Cons:

Its inventory has very modest functionality and limited sales channel compatibility, as well as US-only features like real-time delivery, which isn't available anywhere else in the world, to my knowledge. Its inability to support simultaneous discounts is also a flaw. Shopify is also overly reliant on third-party apps, which makes my job more difficult because I have to familiarize myself with all of these addons and the necessity of using other third-party apps to truly enhance the functioning of your store. Shopify also has high transaction fees, which is fine while using Shopify Payments, but it adds up and becomes a significant cost, especially when combined with other payment gateway rates. As a result, it is more costly than it appears.

Kaylin
Self Employed in UK
Consumer Services, 11–50 Employees

Shopify Review

Comments: Shopify is one of the top rated ecommerce platforms available on the market today. It’s designed to assist, and help you construct your own scalable online business, with lot's of amazing integrated features, and apps to choose from. Shopify gives you the option to sell directly on your website, and across multiple marketplaces, and social media.

Pros:

Shopify’s effective backend editor and awesome inventory system make it simple for managing and scaling stores. You are able to sell across numerous channels, which include Facebook, Instagram, Amazon, and eBay. Shopify gives you the option to choose from a selection of free, and paid templates. If you would prefer to use your own layout, you can make your very own from scratch. Shopify has a brilliant library of apps and third party extensions that will help take your business to the next level. Shopify has over one hundred price options to choose from, in addition to presenting their very own gateway, Shopify Payments. Shopify has thorough, round the clock consumer support, and is accessible 24/7 to provide an assisting hand in case you ever need help in a sticky predicament.

Cons:

Shopify is not as smooth to operate as some other platforms on the market. Shopify’s editor can be a little challenging to begin with, and takes some time getting use to. Shopify has fewer integrated functions than other platforms, so you’ll want to use other apps to simply raise the operation of your store. Shopify has high transaction fees. Unless you always use Shopify Payments, you will end up having to pay a big transaction fee on top of other payment gateway costs. Shopify is more costly than it appears to be. Transaction fees, a long with additional apps can increase the monthly cosy of running your store.

Consumer Goods, Self Employed

Good ecommerce platform

Comments: My domain is hosted by a different company but I was able to easily link the shopify site to my domain using the DNS as shop.domain.uk The customer loyalty scheme that I added in as a free app has been really well received by customers. May not seem like the cheapest solution when you start but after a while you find that it is a really great solution. Can be scaled up for POS if you want to go bricks and mortar

Pros:

The order and stock management system is really good. The platform allows you to create tags and searchable functions which in turn help your customers. A variety of different payment methods can be added Holiday mode can be activated where orders are not accepted and you pay a lower monthly fee. Lots of great templates to use to create your site quickly. Great apps that you can integrate including things like newsletter sign up or customer loyalty schemes

Cons:

Takes a little while to add all your products but worth it once done. If you want to set up automatic postage costs you will need to know the weight of everything you have on your site.

James
Small Business Owner in US
Retail, Self Employed

JAM Shopify Review

Comments: Well, around the beginning of the pandemic, I noticed many stores at physical locations closing. People were panicking with uncertainty of where to look next for their clothing, their shoes, anything else they may need. I got into retail to give consumers the reliable option the next time stores regardless of the reason ever closed down again, the solution of coming to an online store, knowing it is always open for them. With the current Recession, this may happen once again, and in doing so, this solution becomes more reliable, with delivery not being a problem, and Shopify software running smoothly, it makes sense for such solution provided. On the flip side, currently Savepace LLC has an issue that Shopify software does not have an answer for at this time as there are no financing options available on the software. Even if there were, Shopify would still have no answer for about 6 months. Overall, from billing to the order management, the site speed to no visual issues, its been a wonderful pleasant experience, and I expect it to continue as I seek to upgrade the software in the near future.

Pros:

I like how I am able to run my retail business with a ton of support behind it, there is so much software ranging from Shopify's own to others I integrate that making building, growing the business less stressful. I really, really, like Shopify's accounting software that leaves people stunned! It allows me to keep better track of sales, fees, costs, and also allows me to project where finances may be within the next few months. I really like how the software updates without asking me to, updating in the background as I continue focusing on doing what I need to do with my store. The pricing of the software has always been reasonable, never too expensive, and never cheap, and, is based on my need. I really like how popular the software has become too, and the positive impacts it has worldwide such as saving small business owners a ton of money, choice of upgrading when ready, letting me know ahead of time when announcements about the software, and, anything else that maybe extremely important. As for integration, it depends on the app I choose, because while it may be easy to integrate onto the software, certain apps can be difficult to remove from the software once it has been integrated fully.

Cons:

There is a passive-aggressive push for a Commerce plan to use on the software. Sure, for small businesses already on its mid approach that's appropriate as the developers should assist them as much as possible, but for many struggling business, the constant passive-aggressive push when logging onto the software can be a real pain, especially when focusing on order management. Regarding integration, certain apps require the software origination or for additional payments to process sort of like 3 months of back rent, even when it feels like its 3 months fronted rent before you can see that the integrated app has been removed. I advise Caution which apps users integrate overall. The design of it in the background could use a change. Its been three years. The software needs more style!! The security of it could use incorporation of VPN users, and currently the software does not have this.

Lola
Creative Director in UK
Design, 2–10 Employees

The best for e-commerce

Comments: Impressive e-commerce facilities. The best choice to build an online store.

Pros:

Of the big 3 website builders (Shopify, Squarespace, Wix), Shopify is hands down the best for e-commerce. The other platforms simply don't have the same level of e-commerce support - from advanced shipping options to the wide range of discounts you can create for your online store. The extensive App Store also offers easy-to-install plugins to enhance your website's functionality. If you're serious about growing your online store, Shopify is the way to go.

Cons:

It has to be said that Shopify is not as pretty as Squarespace or Wix, both of which being more design-led platforms. Shopify 2.0 was a major upgrade, in that you can now add design blocks to every page. But unless you know how to do custom coding, the design features are still somewhat limited. The email campaign feature is buggy - Wix is much better for that, but then Wix isn't really suited to run an online store.

President/C.E.O in US
Real Estate, 2–10 Employees

Shopify Review

Comments: It has truly been a very wonder asset to my company as well as other companies I am associated with. Its ease to not only display products, get the word out, and interface with other websites for maximum exposure is excellent. The ability to track sales, and collect funds virtually anyway possible is great. Their customer service and care is way better than most companies. Finally, the ability to use it on so many devices allows for almost any player independent contractor, etc. to be able to convert products into sales anywhere with a cash register basically in their pocket.

Pros:

The product is very easy to use, contains multiple components beneficial to any business, and customer support is fabulous. All of its portals are self explanatory for the most part. In the rare occasion something is not understood or an error occurs, customer service is very thorough in helping solve the issue. They don't make you feel uneducated, or like you're bothering them, often they offer tips and tricks to help make your overall content better. I have personally spoken with many support people whom also have shopify accounts. They were nothing but a pleasure to speak with. Also, whether drop shipping, selling own products/services, or almost any type of business that exchanges money, this has it all. From manual entry sales, to point of sale systems, to cash payments, it tracks everything, and provides multiple options so customers have a choice in how to pay. Its ability to allow multiple people to log in such as employees or other people allowed to make sales with such ease is wonderful. The best part, is it can be accessed through any computer, smartphone, tablet, etc.. No need for expensive software or register machines anymore.

Cons:

There really is not much I can say negative. For what they offer, they are pretty much spot on. Maybe the fact its not free.. :) but nothing this good could, nor should be free.