15 years helping Israeli businesses

About SketchUp

With a powerful 3D modeler, 2D documentation, cloud storage, AR/VR visualization apps, and more, SketchUp's suite gets the job done.

Learn more about SketchUp

Pros:

The 3D model store is quite diverse, with a very broad community. I really liked the product and delivers what it promises.

Cons:

Cons; moving objects can be a little difficult to toggle. It's hard to easily connect different points.

SketchUp ratings

4.4
4.1
4.3
4.3

8.4/10

SketchUp has an overall rating of 4.5 out 5 stars based on 1,024 user reviews on Capterra.

Have you used SketchUp before?

Filter reviews (1,024)

Miguel
Miguel
Senior Web Designer in US
Marketing & Advertising, 51–200 Employees

The best 3D App for Non Engineers

5.0 2 weeks ago New

Pros:

I've been using SketchUp for at least 6 years, and it is the best 3D software where I can design and prototype products like pieces of furniture and home decor. As a designer, this software empowers you to create amazing 3D objects.

Cons:

Maybe it is getting old, but other new software as gaining more relevance because they are most close to the latest trends.

Cláudia
Architect in Portugal

Draft and easy 3D models of your ideas

Pros:

It is easy to learn, free to download (2017 version) and it can help you easily visualize your project.

Cons:

It is not very precise and it can sometimes be very frustrating to draw complex geometries, it takes some plugins to do it.

Mechanical or Industrial Engineering, 10,000+ Employees

Software that allows you to express your ideas as they are

5.0 2 weeks ago New

Comments: It is free to define it in a word.
I think it's a really suitable software for expressing the thoughts that come out of your head.

Pros:

It can be designed freely from small to large works. Above all, it is a really big advantage that it can be handled easily compared to other programs. Work can be completed easily. Among similar software, it is recommended as the simplest program to complete a work piece.

Cons:

Everything is perfect, but people who have used the PRO version will know. This version is a free version, and there are so many limited functions that I think it is very limited to deal with when it comes to difficult tasks.

Douglas
VP in US
Industrial Automation, 51–200 Employees

Needs fixes!

3.0 2 weeks ago New

Comments: Not bad, needs improvement. Once all the fixes are done, will be okay.

Pros:

Not complicated for simple drawings. Not too expensive.

Cons:

It does not save your color changes in paint. If you create anything in that group it will be lost. You can be working on a drawing and you will get logged off and all your changes are lost.

RYAN
Documentation Engineer in Singapore
Construction Software, 11–50 Employees

SketchUp makes 3D modelling as always a Charm

5.0 2 months ago New

Comments: SketchUp is the best 3D modelling software from small 3d models to a whole lot urban development modelling.

Pros:

The user interface, the straightforwards commands, and the drafting buttons makes SketchUp the easiest 3D modelling software to jump start with and become a 3D modeller professional. So, the learning curve for SketchUp is fast once your familiar of extensive features.

Cons:

The software is kind of addictive, for once you start you can go on and on to enhance your 3D modelling as quickly and easy as possibly be.

Teiwaki
Draughtsman in Micronesia

SketchUp Review

Comments: i have been working with sketchup for about 9 years....and i want to learn more about new techniques....

Pros:

i like it when working with new plugins...

Cons:

its easy to use for sketching new designs and 3d designs

Laylee
junior architect in US
Design, 51–200 Employees

easiest 3d modeling software

Comments: for a period of time while I was studying architecture , I didn't have much time to learn rendering professionally , I was short on money and my computer wasn't that strong , sketch up helped me go through that time , providing me with basic renders I needed .

Pros:

in my opinion the most likable aspect of SketchUp is how easy it is to work with . although i took a course to learn how to work with the software ,it wasn't necessary . you can easily learn the software by browsing through YouTube or other free videos .

Cons:

as easy as it is to work with sketch up it doesn't give you a very realistic render. for better and more detailed pictures you either should use another software or improve the renders by using photoshop.

Anshika
Architecture student in India
Architecture & Planning, Self Employed

Best software for innovative 3d modeling

4.0 2 weeks ago New

Comments: I have been working on Sketchup for 3 years. This is a very good software for making buildings of different types of shapes and it is very easy to do so, as it has a 3D warehouse from where you can pick up complete furniture or items from the model. Then there are plugins which help you a lot in making difficult shapes easily.

Pros:

SketchUp, combined with its various plugins, is a powerful tool for architecture students.Easy to learn interface , best for beginners. Offers wide range of plugins, extensions, and tools for creating innovative 3d models. It has ability to create a photorealistuc render with the help of plugins like V-ray, Lumion, and Enscape.

Cons:

Sketchup has performance issues large and complex models can cause SketchUp to slow down or crash, especially on less powerful computers. Mastering advance extensions, tools, and plugins can take time .

ARUNDHATHY
civil engineer in India
Civil Engineering, Self Employed

very useful software

5.0 4 weeks ago New

Comments: i like it overmuch. this software is very easy to use and simply we can understand every tools i learn it by my self with the help of youtube

Pros:

its very simple to understand and easy to use

Cons:

need a higher version computer system. in my laptop its little slow

Dustin
Member in US
Real Estate, 2–10 Employees

Probably the best free 3D software

5.0 2 months ago New

Pros:

Sketchup definitely has the best platform for creating 3D projects. The capabilities within the program are extremely high

Cons:

When I zoom in too far and get lost inside of the object I'm building

Timmy
Database Administrator in US
Computer Software, 1,001–5,000 Employees

Advanced Software for 3-D Rendering Rookies

Comments: Anytime a 2-d layout or 3-d model needs to be rendered with great detail, but faster than any computer-assisted designers are available, this program has been extremely useful. It allows us to greatly reduce our time spent wondering if a design will "work" and more time actually implementing and testing the design.

Pros:

I loved that this software pulled no punches when it came to number of features or the complexity of the layering, tie-point, and drawing tools. There was nothing stopping me from doing a deep-dive in to advanced 3-d modeled surfaces besides the fact that the menus are expansive.

Cons:

There are no tutorials with this software, and there is also very little explicit integration into other programs that deal with rendered files (such as Adobe, Photoshop, Illustrator, or AutoCAD software). I feel like this software operates on an island- nothing interfaces natively.

Andrew
DESIGN ENGINEER in US
Construction Software, 2–10 Employees

TECHNICAL SUPPORT DOES NOT EXIST

Comments: I currently have a licencing issue and I can not resolve it due to an error with their online process. I am now forced to move all my work over to Solid Works at this point

Pros:

Easy to use for simple drawings but has a lot limitations for modeling

Cons:

This software is NOT ideal for modeling 3-D prints or proto-typing. There is NO way to get any technical support. I have called and left numerous messages and they do NOT call back, you are basically on your own

Amy
IT Program Manager in US
Computer Hardware, 10,000+ Employees

Amazing 3D modeling tool

Comments: I have designed multiple properties with this software. I don't know how I could have done it without this software. I have used it for site planning, 3D modeling of homes, geolocation and proper orientation. This has allowed me to be able to be creative without having to employ someone else (and wait for them) to draw up my designs. Really a game changer for me. I absolutely love this product.

Pros:

I found Sketchup relatively easy to use compared to other comparable software. I was able to create 3D mockups rather quickly and able to move around the object with ease. I used this software to design an off-grid cabin - all the way down to the electrical schematics. The tool did not limit me in what I wanted to accomplish. I love the 3D Warehouse, where I was able to download furniture and other objects already created. I was also able to use the shadows window and geolocate my model to see how the sun would shine in the windows over the days and months. I adjusted my overhangs and orientation based on this to build an extremely comfortable cabin. Amazing software!

Cons:

Because this software is so robust, it will take some training to be able to comprehend all of the features. Additionally, in later years it is no longer a client based application, but rather a web based application. The client side app is a much better product and does not require an internet connection for usage (other than the 3D warehouse). The geolocating feature is also now a paid/licensed feature that used to be free.

Fabiana
Post Doctoral Researcher in US
Research, 5,001–10,000 Employees

A User-Friendly 3D Modeling Tool

Comments: As someone who has used Sketchup for several years, including as a student and professor teaching it for landscape architecture and architecture, I can say that my experience with the software has been mostly positive. One of the things I appreciate most about Sketchup is its user-friendly interface, which makes it easy to learn and use even for those with little to no experience in 3D modeling. The software's tools are intuitive and allow users to create accurate and detailed models quickly. The Warehouse feature is also a great asset, as it provides access to a vast library of pre-made 3D models that can be used in designs, saving time and effort in the modeling process.However, I have found that Sketchup can be limited in its ability to handle large-scale projects or complex models, particularly when it comes to working with vegetation or other natural elements that can slow down the software or cause it to crash.

Pros:

- Sketchup has a user-friendly interface that is intuitive and easy to learn, making it a great tool for beginners and professionals alike.- The Warehouse feature allows users to access a wide variety of 3D models, saving time and effort in the modeling process.- Sketchup is ideal for presenting design ideas to clients and stakeholders who may not understand technical drawings.- The software allows users to create floor plans, sections, elevations, and 3D models from a single drawing, streamlining the design process and saving time.

Cons:

- Sketchup can be limited in its ability to handle large-scale projects, particularly when it comes to working with vegetation or other complex models that can slow down the software or cause it to crash.- The pricing of Sketchup can be expensive, especially for those who are just starting out or working on a limited budget.- The trial version of the software is only available for one month, which may not be enough time for users to fully explore all of its features.

Higher Education Software, 5,001–10,000 Employees

Powerful 3D Modeling and CAD Options at a Variety of Price Points

Comments: My overall experience with SketchUp has been a positive one. I've used it to translate my basic woodworking and house design concepts into quick mockups. Very useful for me for those purposes. What's more I can see the power and utility of the software (particularly the paid tiers) for those involved in even more complex and extensive modeling projects.

Pros:

For me, the thing I like most about SketchUp is the ease of use and accessibility of the software (especially the free version) for people of all skill levels. I myself have had training in various pieces of CAD and 3D modeling software; however, most of these have such a high barrier to entry. Even with my knowledge and comfort in those systems, when I need to sketch something up quickly for a woodworking project or get a basic idea down on the page, SketchUp is often the quickest way to do it. It allows me to get an idea from my brain to the screen extremely rapidly so that I can test proof of concept and quickly work out any kinks in my initial conception. SketchUp Free has a great standard feature set (model library, shapes, fills, extrusions, etc.) that one would expect from any 3D modeling software. The paid tiers go even further by integrating powerful collaboration tools and cool features like weather/temperature modeling, etc. What's more, being able to export several different file types is useful if I want to take my ideas into another piece of software. All in all, SketchUp provides a powerful (and affordable) suite of options for all user types.

Cons:

With all of SketchUp's benefits in mind, sometimes its streamlined nature can be a bit of an impediment to translating ideas to "paper." Some my difficulty in this regard is owing to my primary experience in AutoCAD--the interface is just different enough that some basics are counterintuitive (to me). That said, with time and experience in the software, I was able to overcome my initial stumbles. One other potential issue to keep in mind is the fact that SketchUp Free is limited in the types of export formats it provides. To gain access to some of the more universal or software-specific file types, it is necessary to upgrade to a paid tier.

Jessica
Project Architect in Jordan
Real Estate, 11–50 Employees

Ensure the design of what customers need with high quality

Comments: Sketchup helped us with more creativity, as the flexibility available in the system, the speed of response, and the multiple options it provides, enable us to design what customers require with high quality, and we can show all the design details accurately.

Pros:

SketchUp provides us with many great tools that help with creativity, and it is great that I use it in interior design, as it allows me to interact with clients, provide them with initial proposals, and discuss ideas with them, which helps me design what exactly suits their needs. SketchUp allows you to choose between different materials and experiment on several surfaces, as the library components help you choose between them easily. I appreciate that Sketchup provides a lot of plug-ins and features that enable us to create more complex graphics. It is also great to respond quickly to commands in Sketchup, where all operations are done quickly, in addition to the speed of importing and exporting files, and synchronization with other applications is seamless.

Cons:

There are not many things that I do not like, but I am used to using shortcut keys during the design process, and unfortunately, I do not find many of them in Sketchup, and most of the commands I have to choose from the main menu, which I find annoying sometimes.

Review of Sketch up 2017

Comments: All round, it is a good and flexible software especially for beginners who'd like to just get started with architecture modelling software.

Pros:

I really like that the software is very flexible. You can literally use it to perform any function pertaining to architectural drawings such as drawing plans, and sections especially with plug-in with a variety of functions you can perform such as builing walls, doors and windows as components etc. I like that you can import and export files ranging from 2D DWG TO 3D COLLADA. I also like that it has a very active community that can assist with any problems you may be facing with the software. I especially like that it intermittently autosaves for you incase of any mishaps that may occur along the line. You can also simply just drag in components and materials without any hassle.

Cons:

I don't love the unexpected bugsplats and the fact that if I change the setting of one scene it affects the outline profile of the work. I think the zooming options needs a little work because sometimes it can be difficult to orbit around work without expecting it to enter into a surface all the time. I feel the snapping to edges might need a little work as well because sometimes its difficult to close polylines unless you zoom in critically.

Ryan
Ryan
Assistant Professor of Instruction in US
Higher Education Software, 1,001–5,000 Employees

A great place to start with 3D modeling

Comments: As an amateur "maker" working with 3D printing and fabrication on a small scale, I've found SketchUp to be sufficient for my needs. I keep finding new and surprising things that I can do with it, and while certain functions remain a little mysterious, it is easy enough to use that almost anyone can make something useful right out of the box.

Pros:

I was able to get started with SketchUp right out of the proverbial box even though I had literally no experience with, or knowledge of, CAD software or 3D modeling. I knew that SketchUp had originated as a Google product back in the day, and so I thought it would be a relatively simple place to start (I was looking specifically for a tool to design objects for 3D printing). Without much fuss, it is entirely possible for a newbie to design and export effective models and 3D files, and with continued tinkering, you can do some really impressive work with the software.

Cons:

The software is very powerful, but there are some odd quirks that can take some time to resolve. For example, there is no built-in tool to draw a three-dimensional sphere, and you have to follow several steps to do this. It can also be frustrating (and, in some cases, impossible) to use the software as-is to do certain things (e.g., making sure an object is in fact "solid"), and you have to rely on third-party plugins that vary considerably in their quality and usefulness. I also don't like that SketchUp seems to have discontinued its "free" version/license altogether and replaced it with the buggy and ill-featured "SketchUp for Web" app--they've priced the license very ambitiously which I think will unfortunately put it out of reach for a lot of people.

Danny
Interim CEO in US
Construction Software, 51–200 Employees

Amazing tool for design and planning

Comments: We have used the product extensively for store design and planning out displays. Additionally we use the software to do quick illustrations to send to customers, rather than tacky hand drawn scans. This is a great piece of software and reasonably prices as far as CAD systems go. I would love to see subscription (monthly) based pricing, though.

Pros:

The program is relatively intuitive if you have any familiarity with CAD software, but even if you're brand new there is a lot of content out there to help - Google is your friend! - Feature rich - Very stable program - Makes spatial planning for business design easy and accurate

Cons:

While there is a lot of content out there that can be Googled, if you need more detailed assistance there is little 1st party product support; most items will be answered via online message boards. - Deeper features can be a bit convoluted - Sometimes a shape has a geometry error, but there is little help on how to fix

Construction Software, 51–200 Employees

Great Design, Sell and Build Tool!

Comments: My SketchUp has been great. The software is continually upgraded and getting better at handling larger models than it used to. We could not be without it in our business.

Pros:

SketchUp plays an important role in the design, sales and construction of most of our high end residential landscape projects. The integration of SketchUp with DynaScape and Lumion make for an excellent lineup of tools that are crucial to our business. SketchUp's ease of use makes 3D modelling quick and as accurate as you like. 3D modelling makes selling projects much easier than 2D designs. The ability to then push the model into Layout makes creating construction details a breeze.

Cons:

SketchUp's subscription method is not the easiest to use and can be a bit frustrating. It will log you out every once in a while and make you sign in. It used to not let you open newer version models but now it just warns you.

Aditya
Project Engineer in US

Good for Architects.. Bad for Civil Engineers

Comments: I have been using this for at least 3 years. Why do I like this ? Because it the best for rendering and getting a visibly beautiful output of my design. I usually use AutoCAD and Revit for detailed modeling and construction detailing. But whenever I need to present my model to someone, I use rendered sketches and views to convey the idea.

Pros:

This is the most flexible software for modeling. If you dream about it, you can model/design it. Its that simple. Architects love this software because it gives them the freedom to design whatever they think. It has fewer constraints. Its different render engines give us way too realistic output compared to other modeling software like AutoCAD.

Cons:

I can say this is NOT a SMART software. why? Because- 1) It's not Building Information Modelling compatible- you cant use data in any BIM tool. 2) Components built in this does not have properties as other software as Revit has.- Its just good for 'looks' 3) Import/Export to other platforms is not available.- Interoperability is poor for data transfer

Renier
Project Manager Jr. in Czechia
Logistics & Supply Chain, 1,001–5,000 Employees

SketchUp best to show your creativity, good to view and create 3D.

Comments: Overall experience it is very good software to show your creativity and very useful in planning and see the layouts and drawings. Very helpful for us in future projects to be able to visualize and see it in 3D. It is very helpful as it serve as our guide in doing projects.

Pros:

What I like most about the Sketchup is you have the freedom to be creative create anything that you want. Very minimalist buttons and it very nice and very convenient for me as a user. I love it very much I do warehouse layout in 3D and also you can make even the smaller parts very easy to use.

Cons:

Very demanding software for your computer you need a good PC with a good graphic card on it, because of the 3D that you draw the files getting larger. I hope that Sketchup integrate a extension that you don't need to download although you can download extensions that makes your file size smaller I hope that Sketchup integrate it with their software so you don't need to download extensions.

Events Services, 201–500 Employees

SketchUp Pro

Comments: I use SketchUp on a daily basis as an exhibit designer, booth designer and interior designer. I also do several home projects on a regular basis with it. I really love SketchUp Pro and the warehouse makes it incredibly easy to add and build models using pre-built geometry. You can even modify other peoples drawings to make them match your design. This is a great and simple to learn / use software.

Pros:

I love that you can quickly build awesome models to scale and create beautiful renderings with many various plugins. This software wasn't always a big hitter but I think companies are starting to see it's potential. Sketchup Pro has some additional features that make it nicer than make such as being able to save and export to DWG. Overall it's a great software that I love using.

Cons:

I wish there was a decent rendering engine built into this software. It is simply lacking in that area but other than that, with plugins like VRay, Keyshot Etc, you can create beautiful renderings quickly.

Gregg
Gregg
President/CEO in US
Construction Software, 11–50 Employees

Sketch up good for basic design

Comments: We used Sketch up before we fully implemented Revit and another plug in to create photo realistic renderings.

Pros:

It’s easy to implement, moderately priced and simple learning curve.

Cons:

The quality of renderings does not come close to meeting the needs for our presentations.

Hentry
Hentry
Archviz in India
Architecture & Planning, Self Employed

SIMPLE AND POWERFUL

Comments: Architectural drawings.. modeling

Pros:

Sketchup is really easy to use.. and has the basic features for a 3D modeling software.. Backed up by great community, plugins and extensions. it is very easy to do basic modeling and it has a large collection of free models in 3D warehouse. it can work along most of the render engines and give realistic results in minimum effort. Layout is also great for doing 2D works .. it is clean.. simple and gives cool results when compared with different styles

Cons:

sketchup lacks capability to do animations. I wish if i could do basic animations(without any plugins) and modeling complex objects is difficult.. like organic structures. sometime its seems to crash on heavy projects. and when there is lots of plugins installed it takes some time to set up after launching