15 years helping Israeli businesses

About Duolingo

Cloud-based learning management system that helps educators provide language training and track student's progress.

Learn more about Duolingo

Pros:

Those things are incorporated in to the lessons, yet the user almost doesn't notice because it's so well integrated.

Cons:

Sometimes the theme or words become repetitive, and even the fact that you stop accessing the application makes you go back to the beginning, this demotivates you a bit.

Duolingo ratings

4.8
4.3
4.6
4.5

8.9/10

Duolingo has an overall rating of 4.6 out 5 stars based on 831 user reviews on Capterra.

Have you used Duolingo before?

Maricarmen
Maricarmen
Strategic Designer in Mexico
Education Management, 51–200 Employees

An amazing tool for learning languages

5.0 4 weeks ago New

Comments: It is a great tool for beginners, the notifications help the user stay motivated and compromised. It is very easy to use and the ux is great.

Pros:

I love how easy and intuitive it is, it's fun to practice and it keeps me motivated.

Cons:

It can feel a little boring after some time because the exercises are the same.

Jennifer
Educator in Canada
Primary/Secondary Education, Self Employed

Spanish Scam

4.0 last month New

Comments: A bit frustrated as there are glitches and errors. Paying about of money I would expect more. They don’t focus on important things like verbs leaving you confused as you go further along.

Pros:

Fun way to learn a new language. The challenges are fun but it is only fun if you pay. Otherwise it’s not enjoyable.

Cons:

I was scammed into a free trial and they took my money out of my account before the trial was up. Duolingo would not reply and Apple would not refund.

Judi
individual in US
Writing & Editing, Self Employed

Not geared toward slow language learners

Comments: At first I liked this app. Now I am ready to leave. The more I work, the more I get demoted. I am not being tested or compared to how I have done but by how others do. Not interested in that. Languages are hard for me. By keep making the sentences faster and faster, there is no point in me trying. By hitting the 'slow' button, I hear the individual words - NOT how one word blends into the next. Perhaps there should be three layers as one gets more advanced.

Pros:

Early on, i liked Duolingo a lot. There were others who had questions and there was a peer review from which I learned things. I liked the amount it repeats.

Cons:

The timed practices. That doesn't test my knowledge of the language I am learning, it tests how fast my eyes go from one column to the other column. And then the right column doesn't even have the right words in it at the same time as the left column. Also, the peer review seems to be gone, so when I get something wrong, I don't necessarily know why.

Amy
IT Business Analyst in Morocco
Information Technology & Services, 51–200 Employees

Learning can be fun

5.0 4 weeks ago New

Comments: Very pleasant, the first platform that allowed me to get back to learning languages, I can't thank them enough!

Pros:

I always found learning languages to be quite the chore, exams, tests and whatnot, for someone with an actual phobia of exams (long story, horrible experience in school), this is the only platform that allowed me to learn a language and not feel like I'm learning anything, the gamification is on a whole new level, Thank you Duolingo team for allowing me to learn and actually enjoy learning!

Cons:

Most users abuse the leaderboard, this is not much of a problem, all one has to do is turn their account private and learn in peace.

Nicole
Nicole
Owner in France
Design, Self Employed

Great way to learn the basics of a new language

5.0 3 weeks ago New

Pros:

There's a great variety of languages available and I like that it offers a placement test if you're already a bit familiar with the language

Cons:

Because I'm living in countries where I'm also learning the languages on Duolingo, I'm learning at a faster rate than the application and I find I eventually get bored at the level it put me at in the beginning as I've surpassed it with real-life learning and development. So I end up stop using the app. Would love to be offered a level placement reassessment for such cases.

Mohamed
Pediatric register in Saudi Arabia
Hospital & Health Care, 1,001–5,000 Employees

Experience of learning

5.0 4 weeks ago New

Comments: Very recommended for those who want to learn languages

Pros:

Eay and updated way of learning languages with good outcomes

Cons:

This application is very nice not find any thing to comm6

Rita
Head of Partnerships in UK
Computer Software, 11–50 Employees

Learnt more from Duolingo than I have from in person lessons

5.0 3 weeks ago New

Pros:

Duolingo is easy to use, engaging and fun. I've learnt a lot over the year of using it and genuinely look forward to going onto the app for the lessons!

Cons:

notifications can get a bit intense but i also appreciate the constant reminder

Tess
Tess
creator in Germany
Health, Wellness & Fitness, Self Employed

Duolingo Review

5.0 2 months ago New

Pros:

I love the fact that I can learn simple basic language skills on my phone.

Cons:

one has to go through many simple part before getting to the complex part of the language.

Jessy
Estudante in Brazil
Primary/Secondary Education, Self Employed

My own experience.

5.0 3 weeks ago New

Comments: It's completely free.
Platform has a clean layout and straightforward interface, easy to use.
As it looks a lot like a game, it is quite fun and almost addictive.
It has motivation tools, such as the possibility of sharing results on Facebook, in addition to the rewards received.

Pros:

What I like most about the Duolingo app is that the lessons are like a phase. This way it doesn't get boring to learn.

Cons:

The only thing I like least is that there's no way to interact with anyone, but other than that, I think it's a good way to learn.

Israel
Israel
MSc. Bilingual Education in Ecuador
Education Management, 11–50 Employees

Duolingo is the best way to start learning a new language

4.0 4 weeks ago New

Comments: Good at some extend considering that the app is free.

Pros:

The interactive experience with users and the fairy tales is an element that makes Duolingo fun for children, teenagers and adults. You also have the possibility to participate in contests and find new friends with common interests in learning a new language.

Cons:

It is not accurate with translations and feedback. As a person who speaks English fluently, I would say that I have found many mistakes specially when I was doing listening exercises. There are many times in which the audio does not work.

Rendel Anne
Teacher in Thailand
Education Management, 51–200 Employees

An Interactive place to Learn New Languages in a Fun Way

Comments: Duolingo has a knack for inspiring students. All of the app's features, including the daily tasks, leaderboards, progress reports, and peaceful atmosphere, are ideal for my passive learning style. Since the lessons are brief, I typically begin one without devoting a lengthy session to it. So far, the experience has been fantastic.

Pros:

You can enroll in a variety of language classes. The way the entire learning process is organized on Duolingo — gamified, soothing, bite-sized courses to dip into whenever, even on the road — is among its most appealing features. Everything is well-organized and simple to use, including progress monitoring, looking back at previously taught materials, leaderboards, and communities for discussion with other learners and professionals. One fantastic aspect is that anyone may start learning any language right away without spending any money and avoiding receiving any advertising.

Cons:

The program, in my opinion, is excellent for novices because it provides a solid starting point for language study. However, as you develop into an intermediate or expert level, you start to understand that the software can't really help you much more. The courses start to seem a little too robotic and calculated, which is bad if you want to advance. You will need to forego the app and experiment with different language learning strategies that provide more impromptu learning possibilities. The free version's restrictions are another drawback, but those are to be expected with any application, so we can't strictly blame Duolingo for them. In conclusion, I heartily endorse Duolingo for anyone learning a new language.

Anne
Brand ambassador and affiliate marketer in Kenya
Marketing & Advertising, Self Employed

Best language learning app

Comments: Generally, i have had a great experience with Duolingo. I am actually still using it at the moment.

Pros:

What i like most about Duolingo is the fact that it is absolutely free and out of all the other language learning apps, it has the widest variety of languages to learn; 37 to be exact. I also like the simplicity of the app. It's so easy to use even for the most ordinary person. The way the app is designed with funny animations is so welcoming that you can actually look forward to learning a language. I also love the way the app is designed to encourage the learner to not give up even when he or she has made a number of errors. Duolingo recognizes that language learning is not easy and patience is a required virtue so when one feels like throwing in the towel, the app is there to remind you in some way that it may be challenging, but it will all be worth it in the end. With all the positive attributes that the app possesses, i believe it is a great and fun tool that can even be used by children and families not just for learning, but for spending leisure.

Cons:

What i dislike about this software is the lack of option for learning offline. I think learning should not be limited to strong internet connection. If there is a way that the software can be adjusted just a bit to accommodate learners who have poor internet connection, that would be wonderful so that learning goals can be reached faster. When it comes to the ads, there are some ads that are displayed that make me feel uncomfortable even as an adult. For instance If i was using Duolingo in public and some of these ads are shown, then people can question my character and probably any other learner's character.

Shannon
People Advisor in UK
Health, Wellness & Fitness, 51–200 Employees

Learn new languages with ease

Comments: I have really enjoyed learning a new language with Duolingo, it made it accessible and fun and fit into my busy time table.I have completed one tree and now am starting a new language.

Pros:

Easy to use with helpful reminders in a busy work schedule.Lessons can be short enough to do on your break or you can do multiple, this can be managed with goals of how much you want to achieve.

Cons:

Some parts are repetitive and new ways to learn and be assessed would help with engagement and retention of people using the app.

Kimberly
owner in US
Writing & Editing, Self Employed

Great for latin based languages, bad for others

Comments: Overall, duolingo is a fast and easy way to learn new languages. Only worth it, however, if you stick with latin based languages. If you have a need or desire to learn something unique like Russian, Ukranian, Arabic, etc, I would steer clear and go with Babble or Rosetta Stone. You won't get far with the lack of a Cyrillic keyboard, for instance. The fact they do not offer this when other language learning companies do is a cop out. I should not have to install something extra on my phone or computer. I should not have to bounce out to a separate window to formulate my text in Russian and copy and paste it into duolingo. Makes it VERY difficult to learn. I am frustrated. This is a fix other companies provide. Rise up and be better.

Pros:

Picking up a second language is really easy. The lessons are straight forward, and my Spanish has improved significantly from using duolingo.

Cons:

If a language course is going to offer languages that use a non Latin based alphabet -- like Russian, for instance, they should include a Russian keyboard. Babble does this. the lack of this keyboard makes learning clunky if not impossible. I will be canceling my pro plan until they rectify this or switching to Babble where they take the time to do it right.

Construction Software, 501–1,000 Employees

Fun learning with friends

Comments: It is an easy and quick way to learn a language and the free edition does suffice for me.

Pros:

The best thing about learning Spanish with Duolingo is learning with some of my friends in my contacts. We have made a subtle competition and is quite motivating. I am on the basic/free edition and it works fine for me. One of the best feature about Duolingo is that I am able to go back and review exercises I've recently gotten wrong and also listen to the ones i missed. Of course that is on the Doulingo Plus which I was trying for 14 days. It tempted me to subscribe.

Cons:

Sometimes I get wrong on most obvious expressions since it has its own sort of rigid interpretation. But i often ignore and move on.

Gavin
PhD Student in Italy
Research, 501–1,000 Employees

A great way to learn a language!

Comments: It's been a good way to ensure I keep practicing every day.

Pros:

This is a very user-friendly and fun way to begin learning a language. Of course, it cannot entirely replace either a language class or practicing speaking with others fluent in your target language, but it is a good way to begin to learn some vocabulary and grammar so that you can begin speaking confidently. It is fun to use, and provides good positive feedback. It also incentivises you to practice daily, which is critical for learning a language.

Cons:

The 'hearts' system where points are taken away for each mistake can be annoying, and you either have to pay a monthly subscription to get rid of it, or pay with diamonds (points given for successful lessons or purchased) to keep the lesson going if you run out completely during a lesson. Given it's a free service I guess this is a minor problem. Some people find the cartoon characters (Duo and friends) annoying, but this depends on your preferences I guess.

Noelia
Human Resources in Spain
Computer Software, 51–200 Employees

Learning languages ​​with Duolingo

Comments: I have been using Duolingo for many years for different languages. I started with English, then French and now also Italian. I use it mainly as another learning method since I can use it from anywhere at any time. I find it practical and quick to learn.

Pros:

Duolingo is great! I learn English in a fun way. Interactive exercises and short lessons make everyday learning easy. It's engaging, accessible, and a great complement to other learning methods. I recommend it to everyone who wants to learn a new language in an entertaining way.

Cons:

Duolingo is a useful tool for language learners and especially for beginners. Also for those of us looking for an introduction to a new language. But to achieve higher levels it is necessary to complement it with more complete resources, with real life practices.

Barry
Home Inspector in US
Construction Software, Self Employed

Is there a cheaper, easier way to learn a foreign language?

Comments: Good experience. It's part game, part competition, and you learn a language along the way. You want to do it daily

Pros:

I like that I can learn a foreign language (Spanish) that I've been wanting to learn for such a long time. This is better than the Spanish course I bought years ago that was Spanish as spoken in Spain. My Mexican friends heard that when I first bought it and started laughing. I didn't use that course again after that

Cons:

There are different versions (dialects ?) of Spanish. I'm not sure sometimes if I'm learning the version of Spanish that would be most useful. I live in Texas and want to speak Spanish like I would hear in Mexico. I do want to know the common slang words, but be able to carry on a conversation like an intelligent person. (That's probably a lot to ask and walking a fine line).

André
André
System Administrator in Brazil
Chemicals, 201–500 Employees

A very good option to reinforce your language skills

Comments: As a brazilian trilingual person (I spoke portuguese, english and spanish), it is a way for keep my language skills sharp, and also to learn about other languages. Nowdays I am learning japanese, and it has been a very good experience, I had contact with the language on the past, but even for a person which had not have it, the way which the App explain everything, is pretty easy and well guided. My mother is learning spanish using it, and it is awesome how she can talk with me and explain some complexes things using the skills which she learned through Duolingo.

Pros:

The ease of use, the contents inside it, the exercises, the grammatic explanations are pretty good, also they have some "died languages", as latin, Irish, and some other dialects, which without this kind of technology would be tend to disappear.

Cons:

Sometimes the exercises repeat so much, at point to make the user bored, but I know that some people learns with repetition. Therefore, I do not see so much advantage to choose the paid version of it.

General Manager in Angola
E-Learning, 11–50 Employees

A must have for anyone interested in language learning or teaching

Comments: Duolingo is a great app for whoever wants to learn, start learning or just stay engaged with the languages they're interested in. I use it to learn Japanese and whenever I develop an interest for any language, Duolingo is the first app that comes to mind. I've used several other software to try to learn but I always come back to Duolingo.

Pros:

I teach languages for a living and one of the biggest challenges was to gauge how much and exactly what the students know. With Duolingo my job became a lot easier with their Duolingo For Schools product. Duolingo already makes language learning fairly simple by avoiding to overcomplicate the learning process with dense grammar and leaning towards a more intuitive experience but when they introduced this new feature on top of that it only made my love for the app even deeper.

Cons:

Duolingo is a very intuitive app but it falls short when it comes to certain features. For example: it's very difficult to set up Duolingo For Schools and in the mobile app there isn't even any button for it. The student has to go to the settings and look for it. Also, Duolingo has features for some languages and not for others. I guess this is due to the time it takes to create content but until the day comes this will always feel like a downside.

chrys
physician in US
Hospital & Health Care, 1,001–5,000 Employees

Duolingo -anyone can learn a language with 5-10 min lessons a day

Comments: I LOVE LOVE LOVE Duolingo. I started using it during the COVID19 pandemic, working to teach myself Spanish. I use Spanish at work, and have previously always relied on interpreters. Within a couple of years of short daily lessons I now am able to have some decent use of the language.

Pros:

I love that Duolingo offers short lessons, so it doesn't feel like a big time commitment. I love that it starts at your level, if you have previous knowledge of the language. I love that it adds an element of competition in language learning. Additionally, I love that it offers a free version, with few ads, but also offers a paid version (also great value for the money) for those that don't want to watch the ads

Cons:

I honestly love Duolingo so much and have recommended to so many friends and co-workers, I cannot think of a disadvantage of this program.

Angelica
Ads Assessor in Italy
Computer Networking, 10,000+ Employees

Learn languages without intensive courses

Comments: Great! No app will ever be on its level

Pros:

what I have always appreciated about Duolingo is the possibility of learning languages or improving the practicality of others through games, tests and challenges. It seems strange, but the "for fun" approach manages to teach many more things than boring severe and difficult courses. It starts from the basic knowledge to implement them more and more, without ever forgetting the previous ones. Furthermore, the function that I appreciate the most is being able to practice multilingual at the same time

Cons:

I would like Duolingo to add the function of having a conversation with a robot, in voice form, or a chat conversation, to simulate a real chat with another person and make the daily practice of the language even more realistic

Osarumwense
Osarumwense
Assistant Director in Nigeria
Entertainment, 51–200 Employees

It has made learning foreign languages easy peasy!

Comments: Now, i can speak and write in Italian language. I just love Duolingo!

Pros:

I so much like this app...I can now communicate with a foreign language! I like the fun ways it provides for learning. It is very easy to use, and familiarise with. I love that it is free! I like the progress tracker and the notifications to remind one that it is time to learn...

Cons:

The only thing I don't like is that, if you skip a day without learning, your progress level will drop. Above all, i love the app.

Andile
student in Zimbabwe
Computer Software, 1,001–5,000 Employees

Duolingo Changed My Life!

Comments: In overall, I love Duolingo. I find myself watching French movies now and understanding something that I never did but of course I still refer to subtitles to confirm that I am on the right track. My reason for learning a new language is for exercising my brain and keeping it sharp.

Pros:

For starters, Duolingo is free despite the fact that it teaches you a whole new language, a language that can change your life in terms of improving your cv, giving your brain a sharp memory etc. I like that Duolingo sends me emails or notifications everyday when he realizes I may have forgotten about the lessons because most times I would have. Duolingo has very interesting French lessons that are also part of the lessons. They are really interesting and make you want to continue reading and studying.

Cons:

When I am recording my voice in response to what Duo wants me to say, I realize that the speech recognition is not that precise. At times I hear myself pronounce badly and be ready to say it again but Duo does not hear it properly and marks as pronounced properly. The speech recognition is lacking a bit and I believe can be improved.

Information Technology & Services, 1,001–5,000 Employees

Greatest language app to discover or build a level on any languages!

Comments: I use it daily! Whatt I love the most is that it's a complete learning experience : I can read, hear and talk the language. I have to translate in my language or express myself in the foreign langage. It's the key to be able to fully make progress to me

Pros:

I use it daily, each morning! I love the way the learning journey is built. Usually it can be hard to have enough usefull vocabulary hen learning by ourselves a language because we start with the easy words. The app builds a strong path to be able to speak on many subjects , for holidays in the region, work, ..

Cons:

The only small point I do not really like about the app, is the recommendation of which lesson to continue. Sometimes I feel ready with level 1 on a topic and do not want to spend more time on the notion and only jump on the next