15 years helping Israeli businesses

About Visio

Microsoft Visio is a diagramming solution that helps visualize data-connected business process flows, empower remote teamwork, and more

Learn more about Visio

Pros:

It comes with various set of tools , seamless collaboration with other tools. It also comes with 30 day free trial for those who just want to get a feel of it before investing in the product.

Cons:

Sometimes working with connectors can be a pain. They seem to have a mind of their own sometimes.

Visio ratings

4.4

8.5/10

Visio has an overall rating of 4.5 out 5 stars based on 3,150 user reviews on Capterra.

Have you used Visio before?

Filter reviews (3,150)

Martha
Martha
CEO in Canada
Retail, 2–10 Employees

Visio Review

5.0 2 months ago New

Comments: I am a very long time Visio user and I have always loved it.

Pros:

Visio is a very simple tool to learn and to use.

Cons:

Really, this is a product I have nothing negative to say about.

Joshua
Application Specialist in Australia
Retail, 201–500 Employees

Being part of the Microsoft Suite makes it effortless

5.0 4 weeks ago New

Pros:

We primarily operate on the Microsoft suite so this takes away a lot of the troubles of using an external product. With all our users educated well on saving things on OneDrive/Sharepoint, this makes it very easy to do so and place them in shared folders for them to be accessed by other individuals. We are currently in a process of mapping out internal processes to be shared with new partners that have entered our business and this makes it effortless for our users, coupled with the fact it integrates with the rest of the Microsoft suite easily.

Cons:

I think for users that have never used visio before, there is a bit of complexity to product high quality diagrams.

Chaya
Chaya
Trainee Software Engineer in Sri Lanka
Computer Software, 51–200 Employees

Visio – professional in diagram drawing

Comments: Visio is one of the tools which is used by most of the people for drawing diagrams and charts. Because of the easiness in drawing and and professional look of the final product this application is more famous in the industry more specifically in IT industry.

Pros:

Visio has become one of the major applications which is used in drawing diagrams in the industry. Visio has become almost an official tool in diagraming as it is vastly used In most of the companies in creating diagrams related to their business plans and projects. There are various types of diagrams provided through the application . So the users can draw any type of a diagram according to their requirement from the given diagram types. Because of the large number of diagram types provide by the application users’ does not need to search different software to draw different diagrams which saves both the time and money of the user. Visio offers different editions like Standard, professional and pro with particularly improved functions per each edition. Also Visio created diagrams can be imported in another similar diagram drawing software and do further modifications. Even the diagrams drawn by some selected software can be opened through Visio and edit them. Visio offers both desktop and online versions for the users which helps the users to use the product whenever they want wheatear they are connected to internet or not.

Cons:

Visio is not a platform independent software. So far Visio is only available for windows operating system. It does not supports mac os or Linux or any other operating system. Which has limited the usage of the application only for the users using windows. Though there are different editions users have to pay for each edition with more facilities. And the price need to be payed seems to be unfair considering the same category applications. Though there is a desktop version in Visio it is not constantly updated. Updates are available for the desktop version within few years time period. So it is bit difficult to work with the desktop version.

Jeb
Jeb
Project Manager in US
Government Administration, 1,001–5,000 Employees

Visio worked great but I don't know better

Comments: Overall Visio was great to use. It was very intuitive and I would be happy to use it again.

Pros:

I was able to easily jump into using Microsoft Visio. I had never used it before before working at LBC and they are a MS company. So Visio was my option. I liked it and was happy to use it.

Cons:

Visio being a Microsoft program seems a tiny bit behind the rest of the industry in terms of innovations. It's rock solid but not cutting edge.

Fujie
Supervisor in Indonesia
Textiles, 501–1,000 Employees

I use Visio Everyday

5.0 last month New

Pros:

i use this software for almost 7 years, i find it super easy to use, such as tools. I can make layout, flow process, flow mamagement, busniness process in Visio with shape whatever i wanted. Overall, Visio help me a lot to finish my job.

Cons:

Struglle to connect arrow between 2 shapes or more

Keerthi
Product owner in US
Computer Software, 5,001–10,000 Employees

Best for architecture flow and design

Comments: Great for the purpose of designing and helps get the job done easier without any hastle.

Pros:

Visio is great for explaining the architecture flow and designing the flow and connectivity part for the projects

Cons:

It would be great if Visio can provide frequent updates and pricing can be made better

Mechanical or Industrial Engineering, 10,000+ Employees

Good software that's easy to use even if you're not a professional

5.0 3 weeks ago New

Comments: If you want to visualize something, I recommend Visio. It's perfect for the most intuitive expression.

Pros:

It is the best alternative to expressing the procedure. It can be expressed intuitively and can be used easily without learning. Also, I think it is the best SWW to visualize your thoughts.

Cons:

It's a shame that the cost is getting higher and higher. Functionally perfect, but I think the disadvantage is that it is a little difficult to be compatible.

Entertainment, 501–1,000 Employees

Great product to use when you get used to it

5.0 last month New

Comments: Visio is a great tool to be used and of course the more I have used it, more I have enjoyed it

Pros:

The distinct features provided in Visio is easy to use rather than excel when used for flowchart or mapping.

Cons:

It’s a little difficult to get a hang of it when used in the beginning, but once you get a hang and understanding, it’s worth it

Ozgur Bulent
Ozgur Bulent
IT Consultant in Germany
Computer Networking, 10,000+ Employees

Visio, perfect for illustrations, Workflows and Diagrams

Pros:

The vast amount of available tools and shapes, layered setup and import & export features.

Cons:

Due to its pricing, Visio isn't available for our users by default (like other MS Office products, Word, excel, outlook etc.) and require purchasing of additional licenses. Cost concerns is pushing us away from the application, to another but free or cheaper application.

E-Learning, 2–10 Employees

Great Charting Software Once You Put The Time In

4.0 2 months ago New

Comments: If you have time, patience or a Viso expert at hand then I recommend Viso for charting.

Pros:

Viso has a really comprehensive suite of features when it comes to creating charts and diagrams.

Cons:

It will take a while to learn all of the features in order to create even a basic diagram worth using.

Federico
Federico
CFO in Brazil
Banking, 2–10 Employees

A great product to visualize process, organizations and information.

Comments: We have developed a series of structures, visual solutions and solutions for our procedures and business hierarchies.

Pros:

This tool is very easy to use, many features are pretty intuitive, there are countless techniques and procedures, looks like it was built to modeling structures, you can easily export it to a PDF format, and there is a vast library of icons and elements.

Cons:

The main problem with this tool is that the license can be expensive if you are a small company, you cannot share your work to be edited if the other part / customer does not have a Visio license, not included in the suite of Microsoft Office, if you have a very detail or heavy drawing it may crash, and there is no version for MacOs.

Higher Education Software, 501–1,000 Employees

Visio review

Comments: Visio has great Product functionality when compared to other software and also it has a very good & strong user community who we can reach out when in need.

Pros:

We have both on-premises license and free cloud A1 license of Visio. We had a nice experience in using this product. Workplace Social Distancing Stencil in Visio is an excellent tool using which we managed this Covid Pandemic. Templates and dynamic gridlines are useful for creating floor plans. You can customize all the icons to suite your requirements.

Cons:

Not possible to collaborate. Very year they are increasing the price. Printing the drawings created in Visio is not great.

Bed Prakash
Engineer in Nepal
Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing, 11–50 Employees

Best design and drawing tools for all Business

Comments: I am using Visio from my college. I use Visio on my every projects and assignments that required design and drawing. My first preference is Visio and if visio unable to complete my requirements then I useAutoCAD.

Pros:

Visio is one of the best products design by Microsoft. Specially I am using visio for my electical work like circuit design, floor electical installation model, machine flow analysis etc. I am 200% satisfied and always love to use for similar projects.

Cons:

There is no demerites as far I know. It ia simple to use, though some features are not avaialble while comparing with CAD but it is ok in this price. Overall it has limited features but with excellent quality.

Skyler
Quality Manager in Canada
Construction Software, 11–50 Employees

Ease of use

Comments: Used for many years have not been let down. Will always recommend the program

Pros:

The transferability of "clip art" for my diagrams allow for an accurate depiction of the product we are trying to show.

Cons:

Some of the shared programs saved within Visio sometimes do not save properly causing a full start from scratch. 1-2 times out of 10. Still favorable for a great program

Chirag
CITO in US
Insurance Software, 51–200 Employees

Process diagram standardization with Visio

Comments: We've diagrammed a significant portion of our company's operations using Visio. This has highlighted, visually, where inefficiencies are. There are several touch-points in each process. Visualizing touch points has helped us think critically where staff's time can be saved through automation and reduce pain points for staff.

Pros:

Visio appears to be an industry leader and standard for process diagramming. I love the speed with which we can create process diagrams in Visio. We use Visio web interface, which is less-featured than Professional version, but is very functional for small and medium business. Web version is also easiest for users to see the diagrams and edit them.

Cons:

I don't like compatibility issues between Visio web version and Professional desktop version. To work around that, we use web version consistently. Web version's limited feature-set is more tolerable than fixing compatibility issues.

Evelyn
Evelyn
Digital Marketing Manager & Content Creator in Portugal
Marketing & Advertising, 2–10 Employees

Great tool but somehow outdated.

Comments: Visio use to be our main software to plan any project and describe work loads, processes, etc. Nowadays, there are several other platforms with full online capabilities and better team collaboration tools. Yes, most of those other alternatives are not that good as Visio to create flow charts or any other diagram, but they are more than acceptable for several business lines.

Pros:

Thea diagram creation tool is best in class. Full compatibility with Microsoft Office Suite formats.

Cons:

There is not fully free & functional online app for third party participants to join eventually into a brainstorming process or any other board of work.

Steve
IT Specialist in US
Consumer Services, 51–200 Employees

Visio is your type of drawing and diagram software if you are not a CAD expert

Comments: - I have drawn hundreds of drawings in Visio, from Network drawings to Architectural drawings to Flow Charts and Engineering drawings for parts fabrication.
- It took me a long time to master Visio for complicated drawings but now I would never use anything else.
- Visio drawings always impress the boss.

Pros:

- It can draw anything you can think of - There are many pre-defined symbols that can be dragged and dropped into a drawing - Pre-defined symbols can be easily incorporated into your drawing with connectors that snap to connection points and can then be dragged to other parts of the drawing. - It can print your drawing onto any size paper you select - Drawings, objects, symbols, lines and connectors can be colored using the standard Windows colors. - Objects and symbols can have data embedded into them from a database or used to create a database. - There is an almost unlimited amount of help available from boards and users on the web. - You can import AutoCAD drawings and change them. - Drawings can be exported into AutoCAD format.

Cons:

- There is a very long learning curve. - It uses the typical Microsoft help function which cannot find things using plain English queries. (Google is MUCH better) - It may be difficult to find the thing you want to do as there are some many functions. - The Microsoft "Ribbon" can be a real pain when trying to find a function. It can waste a huge amount of time. - If you know the name of the function, you can put into the "What do you want to do" search function but if you find it there, it does not show you where, in the Ribbon, that function is, so you do not have the opportunity to learn - It can be quite cumbersome, when working on something and then needing to do something else, which requires many moves from the drawing to the Ribbon and back. - The Ribbon - You use the Pointer a lot but it requires a trip to the Ribbon when you are doing anything else and need the pointer, like text. - It is very expensive, even when subscribed to it in Office 365.

Neethu
Business Analyst in UK
Information Technology & Services, 51–200 Employees

The simplest tool for visualising a process

Comments: When processes are more complex, I may elaborate them by threads or by pieces, which provides my presentations with diagrams and graphs a distinctive aspect and aids in my understanding of the processes. Because of the tool's adaptable templates, drawing is simple for me, and I can message my coworkers from it. I have cloud storage for all of my data.

Pros:

An enormous quantity of documentation, including flowcharts and business process diagrams, was a component of my position in my former product organisation as a business analyst who doubled as a product manager in software engineering. I had a lot of trouble using various free Word programmes and features until I learned about Visio. Every new customer's complicated business processes are studied and analysed, even though we provide enterprise solutions by providing flexibility in our product portfolio. Diagrams and flowcharts were unavoidable when trying to prove a point about how the process needed to be automated. Before Visio, creating diagrams took a lot of time. Visio assisted us in streamlining this specific task. An outdated diagram may be easily copied, modified, and then used in another document. The ability to modify schematics and need for reduced editing time are further benefits of employing vision. The drag and drop ability and stencils in Visio make it beautiful for creating diagrams. It's also fantastic to have a great collection of forms. I've utilised the organisational chart function a few times. When we have a thorough reporting structure, the import capability is really beneficial. Current data overlay allows us to quickly see the big picture by allowing us to see live data within the context of an organisational structure, business process, or manufacturing process flow. Once you become proficient using Visio, you are less likely to switch to any other

Cons:

There is no denying that it is an excellent tool. The answer, though, is to subscribe to the online version due to the high price. Visio can be a little more understandable if the shapes provide some meaning or hint at the aim.

Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing, 201–500 Employees

Visio for better work output

Comments: I utilized this software for the first time in my final year of college and indeed it was a life saver. Back then, we had to comply with the requirements of our professor regarding Plant Design. We need to illustrate the process flow diagram of the Butanol Plant we made and one of my colleagues suggested why not try using Visio. I was first hesitant to use it because of the sheer number of features it provides, but by the end of the semester I had managed to create a good plant layout that included the general flow of the process streams, the equipment used and process flow diagram symbols. Since I now work in the field, I personally prefer utilizing this software while I am working on a project because Visio offers a wealth of capabilities that allow me to clearly display the relationships between my data. The flowchart is something I frequently develop since it is simple to construct diagrams that demonstrate every step of our project. With the aid of Data Visualizer Diagram, I can quickly and easily create a simple flow chart; all I need to do is organize my data. Another thing I regularly create is the Gantt Chart, which shows the project's timetable and allows me to keep track of our progress and identify any areas where we need to move quickly.

Pros:

Microsoft Visio is a great tool that I used ever since I was in college. As a quick recap, it is a software that employs several forms of diagrams and is highly beneficial for organizing process flow charts, organizational charts, project timelines, and many other types of diagrams. Visio has much more sophisticated diagramming capabilities than other tools with which we are all familiar, including Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc. Learning this software as a beginner will require some effort; you must become familiar with all of the features, from the most basic to the most complex controls. Once you become accustomed to using it, the program will improve the quality and organization of your work.

Cons:

There is lag time when visuals are imported from Visio to other Microsoft Tools.

Ahmed
manager in Egypt
Education Management, Self Employed

Excellent Tool for Working on Flowcharts and Diagrams

Comments: MS Visio's powerful diagramming features, which enable users to produce expert and thorough visual representations of processes, systems, and workflows, are among its most notable features. Quick diagram creation is made simple by the large selection of pre-built templates and shapes, and customization options allow for fine-tuning to meet specific requirements. The ability to share and collaborate on diagrams, together with its seamless interaction with other Microsoft applications, improves team productivity and cooperation.

Pros:

Visio is an excellent program for creating technical drawings, architecture diagrams, intricate flowcharts, and more. It makes it simple to collaborate with coworkers to work simultaneously and integrates with Office 365. Professionals in a variety of industries, such as business, engineering, and information technology, may find it to be an excellent and adaptable tool. But, much as with any other Microsoft Office application, there are occasionally delays in updates while working with colleagues. With the many customization options offered by Visio, users may produce extremely intricate and well-designed diagrams. Excellent tool for data connection, allowing users to integrate other data sources, like Excel, to dynamic visualizations. Simple to use for drawing intricate diagrams.

Cons:

Diagrams are frequently reworked as a result of the unreliability of online sharing and updating. It can be difficult to follow version control instructions from peers.

Gabriella
Gabriella
Process Design Engineer and CEO in South Africa
Mining & Metals, 2–10 Employees

Good for demonstrating understanding and reporting

Comments: It has a great layout and it's really good for drawing process flows specifically those that are not complex.

Pros:

Visio is an academic standard and I started actively using it during my undergraduate studies. I have used it to draw Process Flow Diagrams (PFDs) for metallurgical plants both in school and a bit at work. It’s really good for demonstrating understanding and reporting. Visio’s grid layout and the user interface are easy to use, they make it easy to maneuver between plant work and theory. I have been able to use Visio to document and draw out my observations from the plant which enabled me to draw theoretical conclusions. This process is quite helpful in getting to know and understand a new site; solve problems & identifying room for process improvement; and Visio has instrumental in me doing this. At first, I was unhappy realizing that some industry-specific icons and shapes are not found among the standard Visio objects but soon realized that I can add custom objects as a picture which works fine especially for demonstration purposes.

Cons:

When drawing a complex PFD connecting objects can become hard. The connector detects all nearby objects, and in a complex diagram, there are several nearby objects. In this instance, I have found it hard to drag the connector to the right object. There are alternative ways such as clicking instead of dragging but this results in a connection that most of the time is placed where you do not want it. Most of the time it's either too far out or too jagged where fixing it is harder than dragging it. It would help if there could be a painless way of adding connectors between objects that are close to each other?

Prudencia
Prudencia
Technician in Energy and Thermal Engineering in France
Research, 51–200 Employees

Review for visio experience

Comments: Overall, my experience with Visio has been quite positive. It is a great program for constructing diagrams, flowcharts, and other visuals, and its user-friendly and intuitive interface makes it simple to modify my diagrams. Moreover, the software is powerful and offers plenty of features and customization options.

Pros:

Visio is an incredibly powerful and versatile program for creating diagrams, flowcharts, and other forms of visual representation. I particularly enjoy the range of features and options that it provides, from basic shapes and lines to more complex features such as data linking. I also appreciate the flexibility that it offers in terms of the various file formats and export options available.

Cons:

I found that Visio was not very user-friendly compared to other programs. The interface was clunky, and it was difficult to find my way around the menus. Additionally, the shape library was limited, making it hard to find shapes that were suitable for my diagrams.

Nigel
Nigel
Principle Consultant in UK
Human Resources (HR) Software, 51–200 Employees

Industry standard with great features but at a price

Comments: I am able to create great looking charts and diagrams relatively easily. Using built-in templates save a lot of time and effort - and then tweaking them to create my own make working with Visio a breeze. I have always found it stable and have never lost any work. Having experience dating back to the use of plastic stencils and rulers with pen on paper I can say that Visio is superior product. I can easily take generic work I have done and brand/style it to match multiple clients making it bespoke to their needs. This saves saves so much time and gives me confidence when working with multiple clients clients. I am able to take complex processes and create very large charts to lay them out in a logical fashion to make following them through much easier to understand. I love the functionality and overall workflow.

Pros:

I like the fact that it is pretty intuitive. Most people who have an idea of what they need to create will be able to quite quickly create great looking diagrams. The toolbar will be familiar to MS Office users with all the standard text features. There are numerous built-in templates covering a wide range of applications. Literally thousands of shapes available and if they do not meet your requirements they are customisable. I love the layering capability and the options to change backgrounds and create templates. There are lots of Addins for Visio both from Microsoft and third parties which enhance the capabilities of what is already and excellent product.

Cons:

Unless you really need the power of Visio - or money is not an issue - there are other products that can produce basic flow charts and process diagrams. The current cost from Microsoft is £340 for the 2021 Standard version or £640 for the Pro version, which is expensive especially since it used to be part of the Office suite (a long time ago). This is multi-layered software. Not so much a dislike but it can sometimes be difficult to find exactly what you are looking for. It can be buried in the menu system. This is really only the advanced stuff. The basics are easy to find.

Information Technology & Services, 10,000+ Employees

Visio is a very good Microsoft add-on tool and I love it.

Comments: Visio is wonderful to use as I do a lot of process mapping and identifying process ways and flowcharts. Visio is a perfect tool to use this with and while not everyone can find a use case for it, I am very happy with it. Visio is a great tool that any analyst can use when making an org chart or process map/workflow.

Pros:

Visio is a very good visual tool if you need process mapping and a flowchart. Visio can help customize and visualize a change or swim lanes if you need help illustrating on who and what is involved in a process. I also really like all the help and how-to guides there are available when using Visio. Almost all Microsoft products have this and Visio is no exception. Visio is also easy to integrate into a PC or Mac. Visio isn't part of the standard office suite Microsoft has but it's easy to get setup and up and running.

Cons:

Visio is expensive. You cannot just request this if you are needing approval, there is likely a business case you will need since this can be up to a $300 add-on per person and costs can add up quickly. Microsoft's support isn't the greatest with Visio either as any problems will require you to uninstall and then re-install the software which is time consuming and frustrating when you have to do it.

Amit
Head Product Development in India
Education Management, 11–50 Employees

Excellent tool for mockups and workflow

Comments: Microsoft Visio is one of the best application for designing of wireframes, mockups, workflow etc. You can find various alternatives over the web but when we talk of performance on desktop system, Visio will come at first place. My overall experience is good and its really wonderful. I am able to express myself in terms of designing wireframes successfully through this.

Pros:

Microsoft VISIO is awesome application. I am using it since 2008 and have used various versions of it. Visio is wonderful desktop application which runs smoothly. It consists of many inbuilt tools andd diagram shape which helps you in creating awesome documents such as 1) Mockups 2) wireframes 3) Flowchart 4) Workflow design 5)creating network topology diagram 6) Process documentation etc. Its drag & drop feature elements, grouping/un-grouping feature is awesome. Micorosoft office related shortcut commands work perfectly.

Cons:

The problem with microsoft applications that these are costly. Visio is similarly costly product and its lighter version not available for cheaper prices. Product feature wise i can say that its is weaker on mockup design for Android and iPhone mobile apps wireframes, microsoft should add such stencils also in this application so that people continue to use it.