15 years helping Israeli businesses

About Stessa

Stessa helps rental property owners and operators eliminate busywork and maximize returns. Join 200,000+ landlords using Stessa today!

Learn more about Stessa

Pros:

Cons:

Inability to do split transactions and didn’t know how to pull reports until recently.

Stessa ratings

4.5
4.4
4.3
4.5

8.5/10

Stessa has an overall rating of 4.6 out 5 stars based on 94 user reviews on Capterra.

Have you used Stessa before?

Eric
Eric
Property Manager in US
Real Estate, Self Employed

Stessa is a game changer for the independent rental owner.

Pros:

Stessa offers the most intuitive, purpose-built rental property financial software that I’ve come across. Far too many colleagues of mine are still either using overly complicated general accounting software, or worse, tracking everything manually in Excel. Stessa not only allows me to automate the majority of my bookkeeping, but the real time reporting functionality allows me to monitor the performance of my assets and catch anamolys much quicker. While other property management software may offer expense tracking or basic accounting features, Stessa’s exclusive focus on the financial aspect of rental property ownership allows them to offer a far more robust feature set and innovate at a faster clip.

Cons:

As a single-entry accounting system, it comes with all the drawbacks associated with that method of accounting (no cross-checking, greater potential for error, no tracking of real accounts, etc.). This was an intentional design decision, however, as this software is geared to be more user friendly for the average rental owner. While it lacks the sophistication of a double-entry system, Stessa has come up with innovative ways to simulate certain aspects of a double-entry system through features like a derived Balance Sheet report using user provided asset values and debt information.

Nick

Fantastic Software

Comments: I think this is the best thing out there. Everything about Stessa is top notch from the product itself to the customer service.

Pros:

Its easy to use, their is no guess work. I like the banking integration, tenant ledgers, general ledger, balance sheet, income statement, cash flow and every other report you could need. The best part for me is the year end package it generates for my tax guy.

Cons:

I'd like to see the ability to update the RE Tax PIN number. Although customer service is excellent and will make any updates you need quickly.

Scott
Managing Member in US
Real Estate, 2–10 Employees

Great Product we highly recommend.

5.0 last month New

Comments: We are every satisfied and use of the product everyday

Pros:

The ability to manage our entire portfolio, primarily on our mobile devices.

Cons:

Some minor upgrades would be helpful, like renaming of expense categories.

Marty
Managing Partner in US
Real Estate, 2–10 Employees

Ok for main stream, struggles to adapt

Comments: It's ok. we wouldn't pay for it, not remotely. But it seems like they're trying to grow their business by solving the big problems only and ignoring the "small" ones. We will keep with them at least until the end of the year for ease of tax reporting, but will seriously look at other options as December rolls around.

Pros:

Look, it's free, we get that. And it has added value to our business. But their inability to resolve a seemingly simple issue after 5 months is inexcusable.

Cons:

For a software company, they are surprisingly not agile. Two examples:- For every nearly transaction that comes through, we have to attribute it to the property/tenant in spite of the amounts and ledgers being exactly the same every month. It appears the only AI they use is a checkbox that ties a bank account to a property. That's great for loans, but it should be able to handle rents too. - We can go on mint.com and enter all the log in credentials and that gives us every balance of every card. Stessa has continuously struggled with adding some credit cards attached to one of my banks. We have reached out to them for the better part of a year off and on and they seem perplexed and unable to wrap their heads around it. Now, after 5 months of us staying on them about it, they've ghosted us, or given us the "yeah we're working on it." If it's that hard to do, how can another company just do it with ease?

Jim
Co-Owner in US

Right tool for the job

Comments: After using Quickbooks for a few years, this program is a breeze and intended just for rental management, so not any clutter to have to work through or modify.

Pros:

Pre set up for rental properties with all the categories, tax reports (my tax preparer loves it), etc. Bank transactions transfer into Stessa automatically Rent collection option, which I haven't begun using yet but intend to

Cons:

Split transactions appear on the ledger as individual transactions rather than true splits, which makes reconciliation a bit challenging sometimes. Cannot split transactions with the mobile app, only desktop

Andi
Andi
Real Estate, 2–10 Employees

Do not purchase this product

Comments: This was one of the most disappointing uses of money and time I have ever been through. They really dropped the ball.

Pros:

I had high hopes from the promises of the pro account level, but have been left with zero support and no options to cancel for any pro-rated money. This is a step up from a scam and I regret ever using this product, much less giving them money.

Cons:

The lack of customer support, even on the pro level, is everything here. If anyone had been available to help me work out kinks, I could have stayed a potential customer and had a decent experience. But the frustration of needing help, stalling on payments/setup, and then being left alone after spending hundreds of dollars, is beyond infuriating.

Tony
Managing Director in US
Investment Management Software, Self Employed

Comments: Able to pull reports quickly and professionally.

Pros:

The ability to track every important metric used by investors in real estate.

Cons:

I wish the system would track owner financing deals

Daniel
Real Estate, Self Employed

Really helpful for portfolio analysis and organization

Comments: This has helped me categorize and organize without me having to "reinvent the wheel" trying to set up a spreadsheet in line with the tax code.

Pros:

This software takes all the input and then collates it and calculates it giving you an analysis of individual properties as well as the portfolio in general. It helps me as a newer investor to categorize my transactions which I suspect will be very helpful when it comes to tax season. I like the mileage tab as well as I was bad about recording my mileage and this tab serves as a reminder for me. I'm very excited to see how helpful and effective the software is when it comes to tax time!

Cons:

So far I have no complaints at all about this software.

Bradley
CEO in US
Real Estate, Self Employed

RE investor? You need to start using Stessa!

Pros:

The ease of income and expense tracking allows you to take control of your business. By linking accounts or adding transactions as you go, Stessa does the rest - generating all the reports you'll ever need, making tax time a walk in the park.

Cons:

It would be nice to allow another user, like a partner or manager, to login with their own credentials and have limited(or full) accessibility to the your data.

Stessa Support is non-existent

Comments: terrible.. I want my money back but no one will respond since day 1

Pros:

ease of use, ease of setup

Cons:

support

Benjamin
HMFIC in US

Great Product

Comments: I purchased a group of 8 properties as my first investment deal. One loan, one insurance bill, multiple taxes in escrow complicated the property setup and accounting. This was easy to address with the software and when I asked for help on the "help me" message board, I got a complete, useful answer the next day. A few more questions and support called me "to chat" and were happy to do a WebEx type session to see what I was doing and offered tools and techniques that were very helpful. It was not long that I was doing all of the imports, and reporting on my own and felt confident that I was doing it right (or at least not wrong).

Pros:

There is nothing to install as it is in the cloud. Setup the first few properties was a easy and quick. Back filling data was relatively easy and they could pull data from my bank even with two factor authentication, and could get the data from my property managers software which is little more than a zip file with receipts and PDF owner report.

Cons:

I found that I have some duplicate items from different data sources that I set aside in a "For Audit" bucket (like a company entity). So while this gets ignored by the real company buckets it is included in the 'all companies reports".

Matthias

Easy to use Real Estate Accounting Software

Comments: Love the software and you get a lot for a free program. There are items that can be improved but overall really happy with what Stessa is offering to their customers.

Pros:

Free software that is very easy to use and set up. Running reports is a breeze and makes tax time extremely easy to manage as well.

Cons:

The dashboard can be a little confusing since it considered capital expenditures in your cash flow. If you perform a roof replacement as part of your investment, it shows the average cash flow in a negative for a long time which can be misleading. Obviously, this is offset by a higher value of the property but I would like to see a feature to exclude extraordinary items in the cash flow analysis to see the property's sole operating performance. Lastly, the syncing of bank transactions can be up to a day delayed until they show up in the software.

Pedro
Real Estate, 2–10 Employees

With Stessa, we are bot affraid to scale our business.

Comments: Cannot say enough good things about Stessa. We love it and rely on it.

Pros:

Ease, tons of reports, mobile accessibility, taxes are a breeze now.

Cons:

We have a STR in Mexico and are not able to track it the same way we track our properties in the US.

Jose
Chief Operating Officer in US
E-Learning, 201–500 Employees

Incredible product for managing my rental properties

Comments: This is the ultimate tool for managing my rental properties. It allows me to see the performance of my overall portfolio and individual properties. Its also a must come tax season.

Pros:

Love the ability to track all of my transactions associated with each property in my portfolio. They also have some great little features like splitting a transaction into the appropriate categories, such as mortgage payments being split into the principal, interest, and escrow, etc. New reporting packages are a great addition.

Cons:

Would love to see the ability to copy transactions or have an autofill function (like google search) for common transactions. Could also use some tweaking for comparing long-term vs short-term rental properties on the main dashboards.

Real Estate, Self Employed

Great for finding a tenant then you try to collect rent

Pros:

The rental application process is simple

Cons:

Rent collection. They fail to tell you to use it you have to use THEIR checking account. So you jump through hoops to set up a checking account you dont want. Then you try to get the money out of the account you didnt want in the first place and its a nightmare. And every problem is not their problem its your problem or your banks problem. Customer service is non existant. I wish I hadnt already asked my tenant to pay through them.

Lucas
Real Estate, Self Employed

Makes my life so much easier!

Pros:

The easy expense and income tracking and that it's linked directly to our bank accounts.

Cons:

Mileage and depreciation tracking would be nice but not necessary. CPA's do that.

Stessa Response

3 years ago

Thank you so much Lucas! We do offer mileage tracking and one-click reports to make depreciation easy for your CPA; feel free to reach out to Support for help with this.

Nicole

Stellar Platform with Amazing Customer Service and Great Regular Content

Comments: Phenomenal. I've working in management consulting implementing technology systems for years and know what a pain it can be to transition data to a new system - and this experience has been nothing short of awesome. I am thrilled not to be using my Excel pivot table reports or having to manipulate Xero, Wave, QBO, Netsuite, etc. to fit my needs as a real estate investor. Really, incredible strategic move on Stessa's part and we are thrilled end-users.

Pros:

Ease of use, integration with current banking systems, and focus on real estate investors. I was planning to drastically manipulate Quickbooks to make it work like Stessa - Stessa basically eliminated all of that work AND has a gorgeous user interface compared to QBO or my rigid Excel sheets!

Cons:

Some features are still in the works (e.g. they just implemented new functionality to demonstrate sale proceeds from a flip, and are working to integrate to reporting) - but that's it. Really, it is INCREDIBLY simple to use, and any time I've had a question I've gotten a detailed answer within 24 hours.

Beckysue
Owner manager in US
Hospitality, Self Employed

Stessa is a scam

Comments: I hate Stessa so much after a week of only broken links and inability to save tenants.

Pros:

It downloaded super fast. Like there was no data downloading at all

Cons:

Stessa turned out to be a scam! I wish I would not have waisted my time and money.

Derrick
Derrick
Principal in US
Investment Management Software, 2–10 Employees

Great financial software tool for investors

Comments: Positive experience to track trends and help with forecasting for portfolio

Pros:

- Ease of use for product - Visualization of overall portfolio - Reports especially schedule of RE

Cons:

- no integration with Buildium - no double entry accounting system

Brittany
Sales in US

Has much potential

Pros:

I came across this because I am a landlord of 6 properties and thought it would be extremely helpful to keep me organized. The idea behind it is perfect. It is fairly easy to use so I can stay organized.

Cons:

What I did not care for is the fact that there isn’t a tool bar for me to change out other properties or add more properties. There maybe a glitch in the system. Once this is fixed, I can tell you I will be using this 100% of the time to keep my income and expenses organized.

Stessa Response

6 years ago

Hi Brittany - Thanks for your comments. With Stessa's free tier, you can add an unlimited number of properties and portfolios. It's easy to do once logged in on the web platform. You just click "Properties" in the top navigation bar and then select "+ Add Property."

Roger

Making life easier

Comments: Stessa has made the monitoring and managing of my multi-family rentals very easy. It gives you a nice snapshot of your properties performance at any time.

Pros:

The software allows me to easily manage my multi-family rentals. Transactions can be automated and or easily entered manually.

Cons:

I do not have any cons at the moment with this software.

Chief Manager in US
Real Estate, 2–10 Employees

Great solution to start with, added benefits keep growing

Comments: Enables a snapshot view of the performance of my company that I didn't have in one place. Free solution and it's getting better every week.

Pros:

It allowed me to get out of Excel manual entries for multiple properties for transaction reporting. The dashboards and added functionality such as better reporting, blogs, and downloads are a great plus. Owners respond directly to your questions. Great work!

Cons:

I joined 2H of last year and the backlogged entries only went back a couple weeks (at the time). I had to manually enter all 1H transactions, which wasn't too bad. If I started near the beginning of the year it wouldn't have been an issue.

Patrick
Real Estate, Self Employed

Stessa for the small business

Pros:

The value you get out of the free version is immense. I have eliminated 4 or 5 spreadsheets with stessa. Would recommend 10/10

Cons:

They are still working through some features that currently need a work around

Lauren
Hospitality, Self Employed

Simple to Jump Straight Into!

Comments: It's been a stress relief to be able to handle my expense tracking on the go - confidently!

Pros:

I could easily import my Excel spreadsheet of past transactions. Their instructions on the proper formatting for converting it to csv were easy to follow and I was both impressed and happy that months of transactions were imported seamlessly and in minutes. Their customer service is also responsive - which is a huge win!

Cons:

Would be nice to have the option to show the notes about a transaction in the main "feed."

Eduardo
Asset Manager in US
Commercial Real Estate Software, 2–10 Employees

Great tool for anyone serious about their real estate investments

Comments: Great product filling the void for small yet sophisticated investors to be able to track performance. Overall I'm very glad I found this product and plan to continue using it for future investments.

Pros:

The interface is very easy to use and very powerful. Linking up the dedicated accounts to track expenses is a huge time saver for me. I can create professional statements and reports for my partners super easily.

Cons:

I wish there was a more robust mobile app that was more than the expense inputs. Perhaps there will be one in the future.