DesignFiles Reviews

by DesignFiles

• Overall
    4.6/5
    4.6/5
    4.9/5

About DesignFiles

Client & project management, product sourcing, and board design tools for interior designers. Your all-in-one solution.

Learn more about DesignFiles

Michelle M.
Internet, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 15/12/2018

"Design Files is my online assistant!"

Comments: The team is amazing! They are constantly striving to be innovative with Design Files and take feedback seriously. There have been so many updates and new features since the initial launch of the site and with every change, the program gets easier to use. It is extremely professional and worth every penny!

Pros: I love Design Files! It is so helpful to have everything that I need to send professional concept packages to my clients. The web clipper makes it easy to grab images, information and pricing for any product online and the editing features allow me to control what I want my clients to see. The new room rendering application is great to show clients what their space will look, with the actual pieces. This is extremely helpful from a visual standpoint and so much easier than photoshop.

Cons: The only con that I have is I would like to be able to create invoices for my clients. Hopefully this is coming soon...

• Reviewed on 15/12/2018
Bree R.
  • Reviewed on 13/05/2020

"Best Company EVER"

Comments: Honestly, I've never had customer service like this since becoming a designer, and even rarely throughout my 25-year hotel career has anyone been this customer-focused. A lightning-fast learning curve, excellent snipping tool, beautiful mood boards, product list with pricing, color option, quantity, project-specific client notes, mood boards, space planning room setups, client onboarding, packaging & pricing ability, automation capabilities, and you can even take payments. This the Rolls Royce of what you need, but for the cost of a Ford. It provides you with everything you need to successfully communicate with your client, keep track of the project budget, create shopping lists, and effectively show your vision. These capabilities help to prove your value and worth, keep yourself uber-organized, and will make you look like a top-notch professional with a high level of expertise and beautiful client presentation. Stay on budget, stay on time, stay looking professional. PLUS, just about every retail product out there, is already in the system. All the stores you'd shop at anyway. And you can create mood board templates, so you're not reinventing the wheel every time. Seriously, do yourself a favor, and sign into this program. Your design life is about to become MUCH better. It's also super affordable for the Pro version, especially considering how robust this program is. You will LOVE it!!!!

Pros: Easy to use
Fast integration
Robust capabilities

Cons: There is no integration into 3D software

• Reviewed on 13/05/2020
Jenna M.
  • Reviewed on 15/04/2019

"User Review"

Comments: I love making pretty design boards to present to my clients and having easy correspondence with them. Doing mostly e-design services, I present the items and my customers purchase on their own. Because of this I have not used the invoice feature and would love for Design Files to pair up with a well known affiliate link company so designers can make a bit of $ in affiliate sales.

Pros: I love that it is easy to use and that the customer support is very responsive.

Cons: There are many times that I am using the Design Files shopping vendors and I drag an item onto my board and it does not show up. Another frustration is when the shopping gallery has "out of stock" items in it. I would love to see more vendors be available and the ability to narrow my search options by more than price, ie. finish, dimensions, customer rating etc. I would love to not have to keep all boards active in the program in order for the "shop it" link to work. Would be nice to download boards for myself and still be able to use those links when the board has been deleted.

• Reviewed on 15/04/2019
Hope S.
Principal

"Great Platform!"

Comments: Great, I've also had great customer service when I've had questions,

Pros: This has been a huge time saver and organizer for my interior design business. I love the mood boards and the way I can pull everything straight from a website and add it to my design while keeping track of the budget. Then when I present to the client, the interface is easy and professional.

Cons: I am waiting for the floor plan feature! I can't wait so I can do that with my mood boards all in the same place.

Anoushka A.
  • Reviewed on 16/04/2020

"Excellent for decoration projects"

Comments: Effeciency and one spot to keep everything. I love how esdy it is to use and also how quickly you guys come back to me when I have a question.

Pros: I love the way the 2D materials board looks so professional when I pull it down into the client presentation. This is the main reason for me using the software, presentation to clients and theese of use with the shopping list for my clients. I'm also just about to launch e-design and the systems questionnaire is brilliant for this.

Cons: I currently use SmartDraw and woudl like to be able to draw floor plans here. I've seen the new software coming but the plans look more basic than what I can achieve in smartdraw so I hope in time this can be improved. I also like the idea of 3D rendes but with the actual pieces for the design, this may come later also. I think the shopping list would be better over less pages, they take up too much room and so it doens't look great. Maybe a table format with at least 6-8 items per page.

• Reviewed on 16/04/2020
Tishelle O.

"The Best, No Arguement"

Pros: The ease of use for both the designer and end user is great. All of my clients love the software.

Cons: I wish there was some more CRM features (Client emails, contracts, etc.). Ideally, I would love for DesignFiles to be my one stop shop! I don't like having to use multiple software, when I spend most of my time in DesignFiles

Tracy L.
  • Reviewed on 15/06/2020

"Laqua Review"

Comments: Although I haven't yet spent much time using Design Files to "design a room", I'm hoping I will be able to eliminate the need for other "design a room" apps which I believe it will I just need to spend a little more time learning how to use this feature.

Pros: I love that I can track finances, design a room and load product all in one place. I don't consider myself to be "tech savvy" but it was easy to learn. Integration into my existing business was easy.

Cons: I would love to see a 'receipt' option added.

• Reviewed on 15/06/2020
Caitlin C.
Owner Principal Designer

"Professional Design Boards"

Comments: I've been very happy with the program and the customer support.

Pros: I love Design Files for organizing and communicating our designs to our clients. It's a great place to keep track of design ideas as well as correspondence with the client about the design selections.

Cons: There are some features that need to be updated to help with ease of use but they are constantly improving the platform.

Silvia B.
  • Reviewed on 03/06/2020

"Great programme"

Comments: Much quicker to do presentations. I really enjoy the program.

Pros: I loved how easy the design boards were to use and the interactive product approve/reject communicatin is with clients. The programme is easy to use, good value and the support is brilliant. The team seems keen to add new features suggested by designers and improve usability.

Cons: The product search tool is quite basic. Other sofware seem to do this much better and to a more advanced level.
Printing/ exporting the product lists doesn't seem to have very good formatting and there's a lot of white space in the presentation. I feel like the layout can be a little neater and more professional looking.
The Design Boards do not export / save as pdfs very well. the resolution is very low. I feel this can be an easy fix.
I am based in the UK and there aren't any UK based products or paints. I believe Design Files willbe adding some features to rectify this.

• Reviewed on 03/06/2020
Leslie W.
owner/designer
  • Reviewed on 29/04/2020

"Time saver and great way to showcase your design ideas "

Comments: so far so good, the response by the administrators for help has been great so far! Have only used for about a week and 1/2 so far.

Pros: Really like that you can connect with Quickbooks and initiate an invoice for client and immediately load up a purchase order for each vendor. Like the mood board and anxious to start the 3D modeling!

Cons: I think we are going to have to use the 2D modeling as a basic idea generation as I cannot get all the actual furniture items I am planning to use at the right angles, and use the Mood board for the actual pieces to purchase for the clients.

• Reviewed on 29/04/2020
Emily P.
  • Reviewed on 06/04/2020

"Design Files is INVALUABLE to my online design business"

Comments: AMAZING! I truly love the platform and it is essential to my online design business!

Pros: It is SO user friendly. I can easily create gorgeous boards for my clients. The most important feature to me is the design clipper as I am able to use all of my favorite stores, and most importantly my unique tracking links for each product. I love the "approve/reject", chat feature, and direct shopping features as well. These all help me streamline my work flow with my clients to make the process very seamless and enjoyable!

Cons: Here are a few wishes from using it so much:: -One of my BIGGEST wishes is the ability to give my clients "coupon codes" to use on my package page. I know this would require the help of STRIPE, but I really need to be able to have this feature. I have considered switching payment providers so I can do this- but I love the streamlined ability in your platform with stripe and the questionnaire automatically going out so I am hoping it doesn't come to this! -The ability to save items in my library with the background removed. I use the same items on different projects and it would be a HUGE time saver not to do the clipper each time. If I could do it once, then save (replace the current one) that image in my library that would be AMAZING. -The notification feature can be confusing to clients. They often can't tell what I am commenting on and vice versa. On a mobile phone, the notifications aren't clickable and its very confusing and time consuming to log in and hunt for the comment. Any way to streamline this would be great! -I wish I had the ability to use products from the Design Files library but replace the link with my own tracking link. That would also be a huge time saver instead of me having to find and clip every single item.
-Sometimes my designs go away randomly and I have to go back through my browsing history to find the most recent version and pray I can reload and save it. This is very stressful!
I think this is all of my feedback for now :)

Jacob H.
Design, 13-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 16/11/2018

"Design Files, The New Olioboard, Is AMAZING"

Comments: It has been a fantastic experience. The fact that there are now libraries from vendors I use frequently helps to save me time trying to find images and download them to my computer in order to upload them to the program. Same with Paint color libraries. The Add to Design Files bookmark tab is incredible and a genius tool that I have never seen with any other program. If you haven't seen what it is, you can view helpful videos. Again, customer service has been incredible and two of the reps are great at walking you through steps and getting back with you instantly, especially using the messaging dialog box in the program. If I had to rate my experience out of 10 with 10 being the best, my experience would be a 100.

Pros: It's easy to use, gives great perspective and gets the point across to clients. The greatest tool to use for quick changes and edits to client ideas and spaces. I have used many programs and this one eliminates all headaches from other programs that seem to be way too advanced when all you need is to display ideas. Great for pricing and itemizing client projects. I will never use any other product. I used Olioboard religiously and this program is Olio on steroids and anyone can use it! Saying I love this program is an understatement and the creators, take time to train everyone and answer any questions one might have. Best customer service ever.

Cons: There are very few things I do not like because the program has been updated so much but the fact that I cannot duplicate items using keyboard shortcuts can sometimes slow me down but there is a duplicate button so I shouldn't complain. I wish we could crop color swatches for creating half walls and such, but then again, you can use the adjust tool to skew the shapes. There really isn't a lot that hinders me in creating a project.

• Reviewed on 16/11/2018
Venetia B.
Designer

"Ease to Use "

Comments: Customer Support is great, always get my questions answered and Customer Support listens to suggestions to improve product and many things I know that I have suggested has been implemented, thus appreciative of that.

Pros: Love the Clipper. Creating board are easy to do with clipper and automatic load of the website where product came from. Design Files is easy to use, looks great, and feels good and professional and I don't mind sharing nice boards with my client. Love the idea of client approve/decline and allowance of client Shop It on their own when I choose to work that way. It's not complicated.

Cons: During the editing a board process, it was ohhhh so wonderful when you have multiple boards in one project to be able to click to the next board without having to GO BACK TO APP repeated to grab the next board, edit, and then GO BACK TO APP again for the next on and on. Each time you Go Back to App and come back, you have start all over again selecting the Project again you are working on. Should be able to continue move from one board to the next to the next as desired without having to going back to the app every time. ...Another area that I liked least was there was no financial part in the system, which is very important to me, (I personally don't like Quickbooks and do yet need to know my financials), however Design Files are beginning to add Financial aspects and I trust they will continue to develop that part; hopefully to the point it will become that one stop shop that we need as a design business owner.

Nicola C.
Principal
  • Reviewed on 11/03/2019

"Design Files Brings Simplicity to the Design Process"

Comments: It's a huge bonus to provide my clients 24/7 online access to review designs, make comments and, soon, issue payment - especially being here in San Francisco which is a very fast, super digitized city. In my website content, I am adding and promoting these features as a value added benefit of why to work with me!

Pros: Great user interface and customizable platform for my interiors business. I am able to leverage a powerful online platform for my clients 24/7 access and it's gives me a great service edge. I feel very personally well acquainted with this platform due to the accessibility of customer support and simple, easy to understand tutorials. The support staff is approachable and super informative. Having the Facebook group is helpful as interior designers always need a professional forum to chat about this adventurous E -Design business model!

Cons: There is not too much I don't like as it offers me alot of creative freedom and informs my design process in an intuitive way to build great design packages for my clients. From the financials side, functionality is a big topic however. Simple online payments will be convenient. Working my mark up and design fee into the pricing structure is also helpful. However I understand DF is not an accounting platform. I have worked extensively with Studio Webware and probably will continue to for more in depth billing breakdowns. For instance, SW is effective when specifying custom items with multiple components like fabric, trim, fabrication, etc and being able to bundle the pricing into one line item price for clients to see. Having this sort of custom item function might be a great add-in. Obviously, SW is required for revenue tracking and tax reporting purposes. The stuff designers hate to do but must understand. I have researched most, if not all interior design software extensively and still don't know one program that does it all....

• Reviewed on 11/03/2019
Carla S.
  • Reviewed on 12/06/2020

"Evoque Décor Review"

Comments: I think the biggest solution to my business is the communication features - the automated design questionnaire for the client and the direct messaging on the projects. Also the marketing ads for social media or email. The ease to change packages and pricing. Providing links to my website. The all-in-one platform lets me service clients in many different ways.

Pros: I love the all-in-one features for complete set up of an e-design service. Other features also make it possible to function as a full service interior designer by documenting hourly rates, creating invoices, keeping record of jobs completed and client info. I also love the on-boarding marketing features for promoting yourself on social media and through email. I was able to use your links on my website to redirect clients to my packages for purchase. Now that we have the floorplan and 3D feature along with the existing style board and shoppable product list feature, I have everything at my finger tips. I don't have to use other software to complete my work.

Cons: Although the new 3D feature is a welcome addition, the product inventory is limited and I can't use "Add to Designfiles" from other vendors as they are probably not 3D configured. As a result, the style board and 3D rendering are not in alignment and could cause concern for clients. Would love additional on-boarding marketing features like promotional video explaining generic topics (i.e., FAQ - What is the difference between e-design and full service interior design? How It Works video?)

• Reviewed on 12/06/2020
Shirley S.

"Design Files"

Comments: Love it!

Pros: We have been using DesignFiles for a year or more and we have been very happy with it. One of the representative's customer service is the absolute best! We plan on using it even more since we are starting to launch an E-Design division of our business. They only thing that would make it better is if we could do actual 3D drawings and floor plans using our client's room measurements. We have to do them in a separate program and then import all the information. We would definitely pay more for this feature.

Cons: I wish that we could precisely size multiple items the same using actual dimensions like you could in the previous version of the software. As in all the photos could be set at a certain dimension. It would be great if once we crop, manually remove background or correct the color range of an item, it would stay that way in our library so when we use it again we would not have to do that all over again. I would love it if the program saved the email addresses after we enter it once so that we would not have to look up our clients email address every time we want to sent them a new design for other rooms.

These things aren't really cons, they are more my wish list!

Robin D.
  • Reviewed on 08/04/2020

"Just About the Best Back-End Software for My Business"

Comments: It's made me able to think straight, keep a myriad of details organized, and helps me up my presentation game - both digitally and in person.

Pros: Simple. Clean. GREAT VALUE. Helps my look professional and polished with my clients, and keeps me organized behind the scenes. They add new features all the time, in response to direct input from the interior design community.

Cons: Really, the only drawback is that occasionally it's down for a while, I suspect with updates?, but every now and then I cannot utilize all the functions when I want to. However, the DesignFiles team is extremely responsive and easy to communicate with.

Jeanine B.
Owner/Designer
  • Reviewed on 23/04/2020

"What a time saver! We Love this program! "

Comments: We have saved a great deal of time and have been surprised how easy the software is, NOT complicated at all! You just need to have patience and dive into the videos to make your start on it go quicker!

Pros: I love the ease of bringing in my own products to the library...Its so quick to set up new items in the system so it makes it 1 step instead of 4-5 steps to get the product set up in our system. Plus from a time saving point of view, creating a sell sheet or presentation is a piece of cake! Much easier and quicker than cuting and pasted in Illustrator or Photo Shop!

Cons: You can't add items in the description field if you need to put additional items in it deletes the prior items in the field instead of giving you an option to add more info. Would love to see Lexington, Norwalk & Tropitone, Alder & Tweed added to vendor list!

• Reviewed on 23/04/2020
Gail s. T.

"Expedite Your Work Day"

Comments: So far my experience has been very good and any questions I had were answered and resolved in short order. Customer service experience has always been friendly, polite, and above and beyond. Also, received follow up emails to ask if my question/s or need was solved or if I needed further assistance. I was also offered a one on one in the beginning to get things going in my account as I was very busy at the time and couldn't waste time on the learning curve. Wasn't expecting such support even though there are many self-help videos in their system.

Pros: Ease of creating all aspects of creating the client file from design board, price lists, messaging.

Cons: #1. The "Packages" page format could look more professional from a client standpoint. Optional fonts, layout,etc. Profile picture banner hides quality of the photo/picture behind it--too grayed over. Would like to see the "packages" boxes in wider format so we can "list/bullet" as well as description of said project would read better in wider version format. #2. Need an option to "Close Out" a project when we've finished what the client needs. (They / we should be able to still SEE the project details, but clients can no longer message us within that project. Without closure the client project has no boundaries. #3. Ability to have our stationary (biz name, info, project, etc;) not have to be added to each and every new client project. But one we can cookie cut and adjust when/if needed. (Although that might already exist and I haven't utilized that feature.)

Ellen L.
Defense & Space, Self Employed

"Good program"

Comments: I overall like DesignFiles and love being able to show a completed design board. It does help to present my ideas to my client in a professional manner without having to make a manual board.

Pros: I like the ease of importing items to my library and being able to call up categories (rugs, etc). It's client-friendly - allowing boards to be emailed directly to my clients and having them comment back is very helpful. Also like the shop it page for lower-budget clients.

Cons: There are only two things I don't like about this program. The first is that on almost every board, I have images that "ghost". It doesn't matter where they are sourced from, the client can't see some on the board and have to scroll down to shop it page to see all items. It's the thing that makes me look to other programs to be honest, because it looks unprofessional. The second thing is that even though there is a 3D option which is great, I cannot pull outer edges of an image like a rug to appear correct or say a piece of furniture on the side wall of a board. I know it's not a render software, but if it had this feature I wouldn't have to use other programs to do that.

Tanya M.
Principle Designer
  • Reviewed on 09/10/2018

"Almost But Not Quite"

Comments: I've been able to EASILY incorporated eDesign into my decorating business! This allows me to reach clients all over the country. Before incorporating eDesign I'd miss out on clients who didn't live in my service area or who couldn't afford full service. Now, I'm getting an additional stream of revenue. It's nice not leaving money on the table or going broke trying to make it!

Pros: I love how easy it is to create concept boards. It's super easy to clip products using the DesignFiles extension. I love that I can hide pricing or whole products from my clients (for those trying to "shop me"). It's ridiculously easy to insert the widget onto my websites and social media accounts. And it's just as easy to create design packages. I love the incorporated questionnaire and the vivid concept boards.

Cons: It's time consuming removing the background from products manually and cropping only works horizontally and vertically but not free form or just diagonal. The viewing space when editing a project is impeded by the product drawer and the function menu. I wish it were easier to angle paint as well. Again it can only remain in square form which can be irritating. It would be nice if I could overlay my company's name over my concept boards (unless I'm missing something).

• Reviewed on 09/10/2018
Kory W.
Owner/Designer
  • Reviewed on 26/06/2020

"So easy. Always improving. I am excited to grow with DesignFiles."

Comments: This software is easy to learn and start using right away. This has me hooked. It still needs improvement for layout efficiencies so I can work faster. They are minor things but would make a huge difference for me. I am impressed at how new features rollout and get communicated to the membership. I know the team behind this software definitely cares about its functionality and that's amazing.

Pros: What I find extremely useful is the ability to add products to my Design Files library as I research the internet. This is the most time consuming part of my process, so this definitely adds efficiencies. Some websites cooperate more than others though. The new 3D Floorplan is great to get that at-a-glance visual. I need this and so do clients. With the most recent updates, I found it extremely useful for a living room project I just started.

Cons: As an experienced graphic designer now turned interior designer, software I am used to using has more features that make the layout process much faster. Has this software improved the time I spend on a project? Not necessarily, but the presentation has been praised by several clients. My intake process is also approached differently — not so based on style, etc. — so the questionnaire tool isn't as useful to me. Same with billing and project tracking. I already have a process, so I don't really utilize these tools right now, but I can see how they be very helpful to others.

• Reviewed on 26/06/2020
Mir G.
INTERIOR DESIGNER
  • Reviewed on 07/04/2020

"I love designfiles"

Comments: I LOVE IT!

Pros: The customer service here is one that can not be matched anywhere else. For me, this is the most important feature any platform that I use needs to have.

Cons: I'm not a furniture stager, which I believe this platform was originally intended for, therefore some of the features are not so as easy to use like if I would have been. For example, I would prefer to see a manufactures tearsheet/ installation guide added to the individual items as opposed to only being added to the attachments. Another great feature would be to have folders within the attachment tab etc - small tweaks. What truly makes this product so unique is, I can raise these ideas to any of their representatives and they will work with me to figure out how ether to work around their system to support my needs or perhaps they would add it into their next featured update.

• Reviewed on 07/04/2020
Tailer P.
Owner/ Deisgner
  • Reviewed on 21/04/2020

"New user and loving it!"

Pros: I love that I can easily send a design (with many useful options on what client can see). I love that I can invoice and they can pay immediately. I love the page clipper, life saver!

Cons: The only things I’m missing are on the financials side. A “credit” for invoices when client pays ahead with deposits. I would love a to do list or a page to make notes so that when I do the initial consultation I can take my iPad with me to take notes in the software and keep everything together. Right now I’m doing a word document with letter head etc and sending it via email then once I get the job moving over to DF. I’d love to start the first impression with DF! I’d love to make my contracts in DF and Scope lists that I can “mark off” as I’ve purchased.

• Reviewed on 21/04/2020
Amy M.
  • Reviewed on 11/12/2018

"Overall, I am very happy with Design Files."

Comments: Overall, I am happy with the program. However, If another program came available​ that would offer me these options (for the same price)I would most likely switch to another program that offered more customization.

Pros: Design files allow​ me to be able to streamline my design work and communicate/collaborate with clients virtually. This has helped my business immensely​. I do have a few things that I dislike/ wish that Design Files could offer so I recently looked into switching to another program. However, after researching other programs out there I felt that Design Files was the most​ affordable, simple to use and is currently the best program out there​ for virtual design.

Cons: I wish that you could customize things more, for example, the questionnaire, emails, the look for the site etc. my primary dislikes are that you can't provide coupon codes, that the chat doesn't​ carry over throughout the design and that you can't create a standard title block within the program.

• Reviewed on 11/12/2018