15 years helping Israeli businesses

About Inventor

Inventor 3D CAD software offers professional-grade 3D design, documentation, and product simulation tools. Call us at (844) 849-3393.

Learn more about Inventor

Pros:

Cost, relatively easy to use controls and commands.

Cons:

Its PRICEY, and it doesn't run on MacOS. That said, it is professional grade and you get what you pay for.

Inventor ratings

4.2
4.1
4.5
4.0

8.4/10

Inventor has an overall rating of 4.5 out 5 stars based on 267 user reviews on Capterra.

Have you used Inventor before?

Alejandro
Alejandro
Engineer in Ecuador
Oil & Energy, 51–200 Employees

Why I use Inventor in my daily work

Comments: I started using inventor 15 years ago at university and although the software has grown a lot, its use is still just as easy, of course with certain improvements and additions that must be learned with each new version. Although inventor generates high-quality blueprints, many times the drawing standards of each country or region are not met, so I usually edit the drawings in AutoCAD before presenting them

Pros:

It is very easy to learn, it is a very intuitive software and you can start designing pieces from the first time you use it. Being Autodesk software, it is compatible with other important software such as AutoCAD or Fusion 360. It has a large number of libraries, so it is not necessary to draw standardized parts

Cons:

This is very powerful software, so it requires a high-end computer, so the initial investment is somewhat expensive and the more elements an assembly has, the more RAM memory it will need, which can easily reach 64 or 128 GB.

Mario
3D Designer in US
Design, 2–10 Employees

Inventor is Decent

Comments: I feel 80% is enjoyable. I can build structures or components. It’s getting better every time, the other 20% is just basic frustration not being able to mirror components in assemblies and keep them linked, and not being able to copy mates on assemblies is just a big time waster.

Pros:

I love the rendering and Frame generator! Frame Generator is freaking Awsome! Literally allows you to build a complex frame out of a sketch or a simple extrusion. The frame members can be trimmed and you can create your own profiles! Also ipart creation make things easy.

Cons:

This is a real great software, but I must be honest at 2 Major weak points that are deal breakers for me and maybe others. There is no “copy with mates” like others softwares have. So if you insert 100 Identical components, it’s gonna take you forever to constrain them in your assembly. Also there is no assembly mirror that associative! You have to use pattern, if you can! These are basic standards in even older softwares! How can Inventor not have these Basic staples! Weak points for sure.

MICHAEL
Design Engineer in US
Design, 51–200 Employees

Inventor Review

3.0 last month New

Comments: pretty good but like solidworks and nx better

Pros:

Nice environment with good feature definition

Cons:

bad preview of operations in 3d space, some previews that didnt allow execution

Higher Education Software, 501–1,000 Employees

Autodesk Inventor in-depth review

Comments: Autodesk Inventor is a great 3D parametric modelling CAD software for Mechanical engineers. It is possible to use parametric, freeform, direct and conditions / rules-based design.

Pros:

3D Tools & simulation capabilities to design and optimize the performance. Simple and easy to use.They provide free trial.Collaboration within the team members is possible to a totally different level.

Cons:

Requires computers with high end configurations and graphics card.CAM and CAE features are not available.

Carlos
Structural Engineering in Mexico
Civil Engineering, 11–50 Employees

Basically the best software to design mechanical parts.

Comments: In general I always use this software to design any part, running the stress simulation.

Pros:

You can start form 0 and perform a very specialized analysis for any part. Very organized to go from a point, line, sketch, solid and assembly.

Cons:

How the constraints can be easily affected and the whole model ruined. Very complex to repair this.

Machinery, 2–10 Employees

3D Modeling Awesome

Comments: Inventor allows me to do my job, mechanical engineering, I use it daily to design, analyze and draw components we make.

Pros:

Inventor is used in everything we do. We need to accurately model things in 3d and create the fabrication and shop drawings. Since it is an Autodesk product it integrates easily with our use of AutoCAD too, with easy output to 2D cad formats as well.

Cons:

It can be challenging to learn at first but it is easy if you know another 3D modeling program. The one thing I think the competition does better is exploded views, I dislike the exploded view functionality.

Mechanical or Industrial Engineering, 11–50 Employees

Amazing software for 3D Modeling and Drafting

Comments: Using inventor from last 4+years and it is best software for execute internanational level projects

Pros:

Ease of using commands and Vault system helped to work on client server

Cons:

Takes more memory when we use Vault system

Upendra
Upendra
Manager in Sri Lanka
Mechanical or Industrial Engineering, 11–50 Employees

Best modelling sodtware

Comments: Inventor is very helpful for my business as I want to create the solid models of my new product ideas. Inventor allowa me to modell those ideas with perfect finishing. I can use these modells to express my ideas to my workers and customers. Though there are many modelling softwares, surface finishing in Inventor is exceptional. The modells look very attractive, colourful and realistic. I recommend Inventor for any solid modelling purpose.

Pros:

Finishing Tools User interface Reliability

Cons:

Nothing. This is the best modelling software with best finished look of the models.

Ilich Rafael
Ilich Rafael
Visiting Lecturer in Philippines
Education Management, 201–500 Employees

Invent new things

4.0 last month New

Comments: Overall, the experience with the inventor is like you are really inventing new things

Pros:

The great thing about the inventor is the ability to simulate the created model of the project

Cons:

The one con is the price of the inventor its quite pricey, but of course you get what you paid for.

Writing & Editing, Self Employed

Nice app for manufacturing

4.0 2 months ago New

Pros:

Easy to use There are many good features that can be used by the user.

Cons:

The pricing of this app is very high that is hard to afford for a student.

Brandon
Engineering Manager in US
Aviation & Aerospace, 51–200 Employees

Inventor...only 10 years behind

Pros:

I like that it's fairly quick to rebuild parts after changing a feature early on in the tree. I like the view cube in the upper right hand corner, very easy to reorient the view any way I want. The measure tool is very useful and easy to use. I really like how easy it is to start and orient a sketch, super simple and intuitive. The hole tool is nice and easy to use, good GUI.

Cons:

I don't like: 1. I can't measure between the edges of sketched circles without putting points there to measure from. Why shouldn't I be able to measure the web thickness or specify that as my measurable value? If that's something that's a CTC on my print, then let me spec it, don't tell me it's not "good engineering". 2. Why can't I split/trim projected geometry? You make me import it as a line, so let me trim it like one. 3. When using a feature in a subsequent sketch, why does it make me import that line geometry into my current sketch? Just reference it. 4. If I add a constraint, why not tell me what conflicts and let me delete the conflicting constraint (a la Creo). It's great that you tell me it's overconstraining it, but tell me what the conflicts are. 5. Why do I have to edit a sketch/feature to edit a dimension? I've been able to double click a dimension and edit that dimension in SW and Creo for years. 6. Why do I have to go into the View tab to change the visual style? Make that a floating toolbar in the viewable area (a la Creo). 7. Why don't all circular features, i.e. circles, holes, etc., automatically have an axis that's accessible to later features? It's dumb that I have to insert them...

Daniel
Systems Engineer, Analyst, Machinist in US
Defense & Space, 201–500 Employees

Excellent capability, decent learning curve for existing CAD/CAM users

Comments: Being able to flexibly work on design projects for work, hobbies, and STEM Education and Outreach work is incredibly nice, and linking this capability to much more accessible maker tech really opens new doors for rapid prototyping.

Pros:

Really powerful software, surprisingly resource efficient for use on laptops, and the de facto standard for many uses. With a dedicated CAD rig (or repurposed gaming PC), performance even when dealing with large and complex models is excellent. The design and portability is really quite good, and when coupled with access to CNC machinery and 3D printing capability makes the prototyping process incredibly quick. Currently experimenting with amateur photogrammetry for metrology and rapid design capability (converting clay models or plastic-printing pens), and the toolset is powerful enough to leverage those capabilities quite well. Easy enough to use that high school students can tap many of the advanced capabilities with even limited background.

Cons:

For myself as an old school Autodesk user the added capability is impressive, although the UI updates feel a lot like contemporary changes that fixed things which weren't broken in the first place. The biggest headache I have right now is that the install is tedious to reroute, particularly when repurposing existing computers for STEM outreach projects, anything other than the default installation is hard, and often inconsistent. Interfacing with open source tools is actually quite good, but innate support for that is unsurprisingly limited. Still, a really minor complaint, as properly packaged for export files are handled really well with existing CAM workflow and automation in slicing tools for experienced additive manufacturers.

Piotr
QA Automation Engineer in Ireland
Computer Software, 51–200 Employees

Intuitive and powerful design

Comments: I was using Inventor for multiple years in my work and my private projects. It is an amazing tool, packed with an enormous number of features. Each of the functions is customizable and can be adjusted to the expectations of the company and designer. Inventor can make the work efficient, quick, and enjoyable. Each function has an extensive description with detailed instructions on how to use it. Also, the whole ecosystem of apps from Autodesk is cooperating smoothly end effortlessly, and Inventor is a great part of it. It is widely used, so if a user encounters any problem, somewhere on the internet there is a resolution for it - on the official Autodesk page or on one of the multiple forums. The software has a student version, which can be a great possibility to get familiarized with it if you are studying.
However, there is one significant disadvantage of Inventor - the price in the subscription model is extremely high. it is unlikely that hobbyists can afford that much. Also, small bugs may happen, which is fully understandable in the software of that size.
In conclusion, if you have the possibility to work with it, it is totally a must - there is nothing that good on the market. If not, there are some cheaper alternatives - not as good as this one, but still decent.

Pros:

A huge number of features. The intuitiveness of use. Customizability. Detailed descriptions and use instructions of features. Vast community support. Integration between different Autodesk apps.

Cons:

The price is high. Subscription sell-based model.

Jeisson
engineer in Colombia
Mechanical or Industrial Engineering, 2–10 Employees

Inventor Autodesk

Comments: It's very positive. inventor is a competitive software. i recommendit to others engineers

Pros:

inventor can optimizate the process of design and fabrication to many products and it's fast.

Cons:

when I try to change a frame of structure, it should change it without to create another file

Godwin
Godwin
Additive Manufacturing Engineer in Nigeria
Automotive, 11–50 Employees

My love for Autodesk Inventor

Comments: Most of my CAD designs are done in Autodesk Inventor and I've become so comfortable with it. The data management in Inventor is just top notch with easy switching from one project to the other without crash.

Pros:

The fact that Inventor is easy to use is a huge plus. As compared to other 3D modeling softwares available in the market, Autodesk Inventor is relatively one of the easiest to navigate with beautiful and simple interface, as well as huge support from Autodesk Forum and way cheaper than most of it's competitions.

Cons:

I think rendering is one part that should be worked on. More IBL environments could be added and better material texture. Surface modelling could be better and as well, sculpting (form).

Prajwal
Engineer in US
Mechanical or Industrial Engineering, 51–200 Employees

Perfect for Manufacturing Company..

Comments: CAM integration, data management and option for Macro development.

Pros:

Ease of use and Vault integration. Makes file management easy.

Cons:

Some features can be improved to be in line with other CAD softwares in some aspects.

Jeffrey
Jeffrey
Secretary/Treasurer in US
Machinery, 11–50 Employees

I've been using 3d software since 2001

Comments: Being able to re-use existing 3d parts in new projects without having to re-make the part every time.

Pros:

I use this software for creating custom-made equipment that is unique to each customer. The ability to store a single part with multiple configurations built into the part's file saves me considerable time. I also use the pipe routing part of the software and have had very little issues when using it.

Cons:

Every time I have to migrate the Vault part of the software, I have to pay my distributor come set it up for me, because YOU ALWAYS have some type of issue when migrating the vault. This wouldn't be too bad if my distributor was close, but when they are over 200 miles away it becomes costly. I also have a gripe with having to pay my distributor an additional cost to support the Autodesk software. Not sure if the other 3d software companies have the same support setup, but in my mind, if your paying this kind of money for software shouldn't you have access to the software developer itself?

Taylor
Industrial Engineer in US
Textiles, 10,000+ Employees

Excellent CAD program

Comments: Inventor is a robust CAD package with all of the bells and whistles one needs to design parts whether it be modeling, sheet metal, or for additive manufacturing.

Pros:

As a heavy user of Solidworks by Dassault, I was a bit hesitant when my new employer said they used Autodesk's Inventor solely. However, I was suprised, after I got used to the nuances of the system, how much I liked working with it. Some features, such as the quick dimensioning in sketches, I liked more than its Solidworks' equivalent.

Cons:

There were some "getting used to" features such as mouse commands and on-screen maneuvering techniques. But, all in all, Inventor is an easy to used CAD package.

Mechanical Engineer in US
Machinery, 11–50 Employees

Inventor 2019

Comments: I've been using Inventor professionally for 7 years now. The software has made my job much simpler as a machine designer.

Pros:

Overall design environment. BOM features are very nice. iLogic is a very useful feature

Cons:

A dark mode option would be very nice. Staring at the white menus all day can create some eye strain. AutoCAD has a nice dark theme. The iLogic event triggers need to include "print" Chamfer tools can act a little funny at times when dealing with complex geometry

CAD Manager

Comments: We use our models for everything from prototyping 3D printe models to rendering for marketing.
Love the software and it's many uses

Pros:

User friendliness. Easy to train employees on the many different features Inventor has, from modeling to documenting the models with drawings, and rendering for our parts catalog to rendering hi-resolution files for offset printng.

Cons:

Can not export/import custom materials to a spreadsheet to verify the accuracy and make changes

MITCHELL
MITCHELL
Production Engineer in US
Machinery, 201–500 Employees

MOST ADAPTIVE CAD SOFTWARE

Comments: I have had a extremely positive experience with Inventor, I was originally a solidworks user, but now that I have switched it is difficult to go back!

Pros:

The flexibility iLogic gains you in this software is an absolute must when working on bigger assemblies. Also, with a 2D background, adding on the 3rd dimension has a logical flow compared to other programs.

Cons:

its not supported by many 3rd party solutions for processing structural steel out of the box

Scott
Scott
Director of Engineering in US
Plastics, 11–50 Employees

Autodesk Part Modeling Software is Very Powerful!

Comments: We have been able to offer Revit files to some of our customers who ask for them. We also are able to show them what their product will look like after it is done.

Pros:

I liked that this software works with all the other pieces of software you can use as tools in Autodesk's line of products. It is very easy to sketch and draw just about anything. You also have a lot of control over the parameters that dictate the shape, size and area of the part you are creating. I also like the ease with which it works with other software data. You can open just about any file from any other software company.

Cons:

I didn't like how some features like decals don't transcend down from a part variation to an assembly. Also, in oder to make a part adjustable and controllable in size you have to design it from the beginning as an iPart, which means that when it is in an assembly, all the constraints will break when it becomes an iPart. Sometimes playing with geometry is tricky because of constraints, but also because you can't always tell if a chain is fully connected to be able to extrude.

Rafael
Rafael
Jefe del departamento de Oceanografia in Venezuela

Once you learn to use it, it is a powerful tool.

Comments: The biggest benefit that I brought to the company where I work, and what is related to my area of expertise was the general decrease in the time the products were obtained, especially if a person who already had some time using the program was hired.

Pros:

Although I do not use the program directly, I have directed tests on my work site to compare software with each other. One of them was to design a piece using solid Works and Inventor on the other hand, since they wanted to introduce this software in the office and I was not convinced. Mandéa to make 3 different pieces, with 3 different pairs of people who used the 2 programs. The result was that those who used the Inventor always did it faster than those who used solid Works. That, in addition to Inventor being associated with Autodesk, made me decide to replace the use of Solid Work by Inventor.

Cons:

Especially when you start using the program, you have to spend a lot of time to familiarize yourself with the available tools (because they are many and very varied), in addition to needing a powerful machine, especially if you want to do simulations.

Systems Designer in US

Reliable and easy-to-use 3D modeling software

Pros:

Inventor has a very intuitive user interface. Not as pricey as other top-tier packages and provides a great bang for your buck.

Cons:

Not as revolutionary or powerful as other packages but seems to be a great middle-of-the-road option with plenty of features for most industry needs. Automation & analysis features had been lacking in past releases but are starting to catch up.

Kris
Kris
Senior Designer in US

3d Parametrics

Comments: I have used 3 or 4 other parametric design software packages and Inventor is by far the best experience. Also able to export and import from other softwares.

Pros:

Parametric design and functionality is second to none! FEA analysis is very helpful.

Cons:

A bit pricey, but inline with other comparable software! It has the ability to do more than most individuals are capable of learning!