• Overall
    4.9/5
    4.7/5
    4.9/5

About OnPay

OnPay's award-winning payroll and HR saves business owners over 15 hours a month, and frees them up to focus on the bottom line.

Learn more about OnPay

Lisa C.
Head of HR
Financial Services, 13-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 31/03/2020

"Great Payroll System"

Comments: Great tool that is affordable and easy to use!

Pros: What I like most about OnPay is how easy it is to use the tool. I do not have a payroll background and I was able to figure out how to process payroll with getting frustrated. It's very intuitive and easy to use. I also like that chat functionality. They respond instantly and are incredibly knowledgeable/helpful.

Cons: I wish we could integrate it with our HRIS platform so I wouldn't have to switch between 2 different systems to process payroll (401k contributions and approve non-exempt time cards, etc.)

• Reviewed on 31/03/2020
Michael E.
Real Estate, 201-500 Employees
  • Reviewed on 29/07/2020

"Used For a Company of Contractors"

Comments: Over the years we have very much appreciated the way OnPay listens to us and impliments our suggestions and features that work for our company.

Pros: We like being able to add new contractors and allowing an invitation to go out to the employee to log in and finish their own set up by adding their banking information.
We like being able to see a payment history made to the employee.
We like the ease of making direct deposit to employees.

Cons: We would rather enter contractors as contractors rather than employees which is easier to set up. Right now we have to add the 1099 Misc payment addon.

• Reviewed on 29/07/2020
Health, Wellness & Fitness, 13-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 18/01/2020

"Going down hill fast"

Comments: They used to be good. I have been them for 3-4 years Customer service knew what they are doing, there were not glitches, basically hassle free payroll. Starting September or October, we started having issues here and there. First features would get added ( and we start using them ) and then disappear. Taxes are not being filed on time or at all ( I have called them, talked to them on the phone about this multiple times ) . Integrations appear and disappear and i have to keep syncing things. Have to map quickbook chart of accounts again for every payroll item. It's been a NIGHTMARE. It's literally a nightmare. I am looking at other companies and now willing to pay more.
The function to upload payroll data comes and disappears right before the payroll and then it takes one day to add it and then again it disappears
We have a collection notice from our state because of these guys. Every time, i message them / email them, either they don't respond or when i talk to them on the phone they act like i am a dumb. They are terrible.

Pros: Cheaper price than many but I would rather pay more for a job to get done well.

Cons: on collection notice from state dep of rev because of them
Non responsive Customer service ( someone will talk to you but don't get things done )
Customer service not knowledgeable ( gave me wrong information several times )
Glitch y integrations with other platforms ( you can only use WhenIWork )
Glitch y software in general
Features appearing and disappearing

by OnPay on 23/01/2020

Hi there! Thanks for your feedback, and I'm sorry to hear that you haven't had a better experience. Though tax mistakes are uncommon, when a tax notice does happen our Customer Experience team is here to help resolve everything. We'd be happy to look into the issues you mention and make sure everything runs smoothly. We have also expanded our integration offerings, which may be of interest. If you message us your company name or email, we'll reach out to help!

• Reviewed on 18/01/2020
Mike G.
Hospital & Health Care, 13-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 08/06/2020

"Great Payroll Software"

Comments: I have really enjoyed using this software. It is our companies third payroll software vendor and as long as they continue to operate the way they do it will be our last.

Pros: The fact that you can modify employee information, add/subtract new employees, and make changes all while right in the middle of running a payroll. It is also very valuable that they allow you to run as many payroll instances as you need. For instance if you have an employee that forgot to add to their time sheet you can go back and generate another payroll for that one employee with no additional charges.

Cons: Some of the elements of the software are not intuitive and it is very difficult at times to deal with tax related issues through the software. Customer service is usually really helpful and most questions can be answered through chat.

• Reviewed on 08/06/2020
Joan P.
Medical Practice, 13-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 05/07/2020

"Time-saver!"

Comments: Doing payroll now takes minutes instead of hours! The program pays for itself, not only in time saved, but due to less expense from the accounting firm.

Pros: All I have to do is enter the hours, overtime, and any bonuses- - -all the calculations are done automatically. It is a relief not to have to calculate the withholdings, write the checks, figure out how much to pay the state and federal government, then pay it. As our staff grew, I didn't have time to spend on payroll, then had to pay my accountant to double-check everything. OnPay takes care of everything! I am not very computer-savvy, so it was nice to be able to get assistance from their friendly service people. Now I can figure out most things on my own!

Cons: Sometimes new employees miss the part about setting up direct payment into their accounts. It must not be obvious, because about 1 out of 3 will miss it.
Getting set up was fairly easy. They took the information from my old system (which was mostly "by hand" and converted it easily. When I didn't understand something, their customer service was able to talk me through it.

• Reviewed on 05/07/2020
Suzan A.
CFO
Health, Wellness & Fitness, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 24/07/2020

"Great Product, Great Support!"

Comments: Direct Deposit for our employees is fantastic (I do not give anyone options, ever), the reporting and paying of the taxes is huge. And if I mess up, OnPay is there for me!

Pros: The interface is simple, and the updates that occur have never caused any problems, but have added functionality that was missing in the very beginning (for example, scheduling a pay rate change). I also like the ability to import into QuickBooks. I like that On Pay pays the taxes for us! Prior to moving to OnPay, I was constantly getting adjustments on on payroll taxes from the state of the feds - that never happens anymore. Support staff is amazing. The reports are good and getting better.

Cons: The reports are getting better - and recently new options have been added, so that is great. I

• Reviewed on 24/07/2020
David P.
Accounting, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 25/06/2020

"Great software and support!"

Comments: My overall experience with Onpay has been wonderful. I sought a payroll software with flexible options for integrating with QBO, and by far, Onpay has the best integration options. It does take some figuring out at first, but it's mostly intuitive, which I like, and if I ever had an issue, Onpay support has been quick to respond and comes through every single time.

Pros: What I like the most about Onpay, is it is affordable and allows me the most flexibility of all other payroll software I have used or researched. Also, the support has been fantastic!

Cons: Really just a few little things... not being able to get invoices on my own through the accountant dashboard, and how sending an invitation to an employee requires me to tell them they can't do this on mobile, only on a browser.

James C.
Health, Wellness & Fitness, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 27/05/2020

"Great Product, Responsive Service"

Comments: As a small company, OnPay was very easy to set up and reliably delivers for us for onboarding, payroll, etc. They've always been extremely supportive and responsive, and they stepped up their game during COVID by making all of the PPP reporting and application materials available on the front screen.

Pros: OnPay makes it very easy to onboard and serve our staff. The reporting functions are well put together, and provided us with everything we need for banking, finance, etc.

Cons: My only complaint about OnPay is that the UIUX isn't quite as sleek as some of the other competitors, but the ease of use and features are all on target.

Bea C.
Executive Director
Hospital & Health Care, 13-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 27/05/2020

"Fairly Easy to Use and Great Value"

Comments: Great. Has been fairly easy to use. Upgrades continue to meet our needs.

Pros: Though we've needed some guidance on setting up the retirement savings as well as Sick Leave, the Support has been very accessible. If the online chat doesn't meet my needs, the OnPay team facilitates with a voice call.

Cons: Setting up the Retirement and Sick Leave or PTO.

Mikelle C.
Bookkeeping Specialist
Financial Services, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 27/05/2020

"A great product for accountants and business owners"

Pros: Easy onboarding setup and fast useful customer support
Dashboard to see all of our clients in one place
Extensive knowledge base in multi-state requirements

Cons: There was some weirdness with setting up payroll schedules, but once set they work great

Kenton V.
Semiconductors, 13-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 27/11/2019

"Easy to use and great value"

Comments: We have had a good experience with OnPay. There are very few issues or errors and, when there are issues, the OnPay team has solved them in an expedient manner. Over the years we have realized significant cost savings due to the ease of use of OnPay. General business or managerial staff can easily run the system instead of paying a service or hiring a payroll professional to manage payroll for larger groups.

Pros: OnPay is easy to use with an intuitive interface. It was a good product for a small company of just a couple people and it has continued to work for us as we approach 20 people. It is also reasonably priced and does not overwhelm users and administrators with too much complexity.

Cons: The thing we like least about OnPay is the way paid time off (PTO) accrual growth is calculated. We grow PTO accrual every year of employment up to 20 years and that requires employees to be moved into new PTO growth categories every three years. We could just choose to do our PTO differently, but we wish OnPay had the PTO growth flexibility to accommodate our preferred methods.

• Reviewed on 27/11/2019
Amy L.
Executive Director
Nonprofit Organization Management, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 05/04/2020

"Full function, clear UX, low cost"

Comments: Overall, it's been very positive. They have what our organization needs at a good price, and are easy to use.

Pros: I chose OnPay because they offered an easy-to-use QSEHRA designation, which our previous provider SurePayroll did not. I am tremendously pleased with OnPay. The page layouts are clear, reasonably intuitive and very easy to set up, and they keep introducing smart upgrades which make tools even easier to find. They also have excellent customer service, by chat, phone, or email.

Cons: It could be clearer to set up PTO/vacation/sick policies. I also don't know why I can't delete double notifications when employees get paid.

• Reviewed on 05/04/2020
Miriam B.
manager
Hospital & Health Care, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 06/12/2018

"Great (probably the best) online payroll service"

Comments: I really love this online payroll service. After a lot of research of a variety of payroll options, we moved from Paychex to OnPay a couple of years ago and it was absolutely the right move. I can't speak for large companies, but for small and medium sized companies I do believe this is the best, most reliable and most economical service available.

Pros: I run a small business and onpay is perfect for processing our payroll. Some of the features we love:
1) Easy to use interface
2) Employees enter all their own bank information, withholdings, etc.
2) Employees can log in to download their own tax forms, details of previous pay runs, etc. (I don't need to print or distribute these forms or information.)
3) Onpay takes care of all the appropriate taxes, etc.
4) Although I am on a biweekly pay cycle, I can run a payroll whenever I want. (For instance, I can make a separate holiday bonus run)
5) I can easily switch between paper checks or direct deposit if needed
6) It's easy to adjust an employees pay or add other categories of payment
7) Great customer support. Whenever I have had a question or needed assistance, I have had the answer pleasantly and quickly
8) It's a great value and you get what is promised. I don't get any emails asking me to purchase other services or upgrade or other things that I don't need.
9) The transition from our previous payroll service to Onpay was easy and seamless.

Cons: When I am out of the country, I have a hard time running payroll. I know this has to do with internet security, but I wish there was a straight-forward way to accommodate this issue.

David M.
Accountant
Real Estate, 13-50 Employees

"OnPay Review"

Comments: This is a great service. It has helped reduce our payroll costs by a ton, and is way easier to use than other systems. The reporting is great too. I love this service. i wouldn't use anything else.

Pros: Very easy to use and I love that it is NOT Expensive.

Cons: Voiding Checks/Direct Deposits is a pain. Also, I wish each employee had a default that it would change back to for each payroll run. For example, I might pay someone a bonus one week, I don't need that bonus to be paid next week, however it shows up again and I have to remember to remove it. Same with any deductions, so If I need to deduct and advance one week, I don't need it to be deducted again. Anyway, does that make sense? I also wish I could make 2 or 3 checks for one person on the same payroll run, instead of doing multiple payroll runs. I feel a few changes in these areas would make it so much better than it already is.

Craig B.
Accounting, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 01/02/2020

"Wish all software was this easy"

Comments: Onpay has streamlined the payroll process for me. I run my clients payroll in a fraction of the time and for a fraction of the cost.

Pros: The ease of setup, integration, and running payroll. They have simplified the process. Also the price is a fraction of other payroll companies.

Cons: There are a few features i would like to see added, such as automatic payroll.

• Reviewed on 01/02/2020
Raquel A.
Payroll
Printing, 13-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 24/09/2019

"Payroll Is Now A Breeze"

Comments: OnPay has made doing payroll enjoyable. They are quick to answer questions or concerns. They do the filings for multiple states for the same price. They will even do the year end reports like W-2s and W-3s. The ease of use is exceptional.

Pros: What I like the most is the employee portal option, as well as the ease of pulling payroll tax reports. It's very easy to make changes as needed to employees profiles.

Cons: What I like least is the function to pay Paid time off, or any other benefit, it's not as intuitive to use it. It took me a little while to figure it out.

• Reviewed on 24/09/2019
Founding Partner
Legal Services, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 22/07/2019

"You should be using this payroll service!"

Comments: I have an employee with two local city withholdings and a school district withholding that I thought I was going to have to manually withhold for---turns out that a few minutes with online chat support is all it took to get Onpay to handle it.

Pros: Easy to Use
Great Support
Inexpensive
Handles multiple local withholdings easily
Saves me a lot of time dealing with multiple tax filings

Cons: I didn't like that there might be multiple w-2 forms for one person in some cases, but honestly it wasn't a big deal to just add them together for tax prep.

• Reviewed on 22/07/2019
Tiffany H.
Utilities, 13-50 Employees

"Great Payroll Company"

Comments: OnPay has been so helpful throughout the time that we've been a customer. They've gone above and beyond to support us when we make a mistake and need instant support. The software is easy to use and very intuitive. We appreciate the partnership and look forward to growing together.

Pros: OnPay is so easy to use, easy to learn, and easy to implement. it makes quick work of payroll.

Cons: I would love to see them add an option to upload an excel payroll file instead of hand entry.

Danielle P.
Senior Staff
Accounting, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 29/01/2020

"Easy to Implement and Train"

Comments: The customer service is amazing when you have an issue.

Pros: We recommend this software to our clients because of the ease of use, and inexpensive cost. The QBO integration saves hours of manual data entry.

Cons: The PTO accruals were not really straight forward

• Reviewed on 29/01/2020
Steve H.
Partner
Restaurants, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 30/11/2019

"Simple Payroll"

Comments: When I was starting up on OnPay, I had a couple of questions. I used their customer service and received instant help. They've been very easy to work with.

Pros: This software is one of the easiest to setup and use. All taxes are handled for me. W-2's are created and mailed. Simple, simple simple. The best part about OnPay is that I don't need to do any paperwork. I just enter the hours and print the checks.

Cons: The only con I have is in setting up a new employee. It forces me to use the federal minimum wage if the person is an hourly employee. Because our employees receive tips, we pay less than the minimum wage. That forces me to create another payment option and to make sure I don't accidentally use the default.

• Reviewed on 30/11/2019
Cheryl R.
Lead Staff Accountant

"OnPay / ChaiOne"

Comments: We can process our payroll whenever it is convenient for us and having OnPay process the taxes for us is truly time saving for our small team. Every time we have a question, we utilize the Chat option and have received efficient customer service. If an issue requires additional research on their side, we receive answers very promptly. We are a very satisfied client.

Pros: The ease of use, cost, and customer service are what continue to be the greatest assets for our business in using OnPay.

Cons: Everything about our experience have been positive. No negatives from us.

Marc A.
Accountant
Nonprofit Organization Management, 13-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 10/10/2019

"OnPay payroll software"

Comments: We are pretty basic as to what we use OnPay for. Mostly running payroll for salaried and hourly employees, tax reporting, and using OnPays standard reports. OnPay does all those things very well and easily. But we don't use it for much additional tracking, but from my use of it OnPay does those basic things very well and is easy to use.

Pros: What I like most about OnPay is that it is very full featured regarding Internal reports, Tax reporting and affordability. I like that it is priced by how many employees each month and not the number of runs or transactions. I can make extra payroll runs employee reimbursements during the month without any extra charges. It is quite easy to use and covers most of our needs. Customer support is great and very responsive. The standard reports meet our needs well and have quite a few "filtering" features to customize them.

Cons: There is not much to dislike, really. Maybe adding and employee can be a laid out a little differently. At times it seems a little confusing. Tax reporting for Michigan and Detroit there are some odd or quirky requirements for workers comp, minimum wage, which we do work-arounds, but this handles it.

• Reviewed on 10/10/2019
Gina B.
Veterinary medicine in the United States
Veterinary, Self Employed

"Great Payroll Company"

Comments: Overall OnPay is great. This is my first Payroll experience so I don’t have a comparison but they have made the experience very positive. I have had them log in to my computer and walk me through every step. [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] is amazing I hesitate to tell you all for fear she will get too busy helping the rest of you hahaha

Pros: The layout is user friendly. I am a first time business owner so doing payroll was new and OnPay was easy.
They are affordable, same great service for much less than other companies.
Customer service is outstanding !! They have been terrific at walking me through the process and resolving any issues I’ve ever had.

Cons: I’m not a very active company as far as payroll and it would be nice if there was a lower cost option for when you aren’t submitting payroll but still need monthly tax forms filed. They have a suspended rate Which does this but was a bit high.

Peter C.
  • Reviewed on 04/12/2018

"OnPay satisfaction"

Comments: The big problem solved over the previous provider experience is the quality of customer service. Instead of being handed from 'specialist' to 'specialist', and putting up with constant confusion, mis communication and errors, OnPay are just on it. When you talk or communicate with OnPay you communicate with a real person who knows their business, what your business needs, their software, and who won't stop working with you personally until you are completely happy.

Pros: Visually intuitive platform that takes what is a central admin process from functional to pleasurable.
OnPay offers simple, clear, visually attractive navigation for both the admins and the employees. Multiple reports options with the same visual simplicity and clarity, all easily sharable and usable. By comparison to the alternative payroll software we used prior, OnPay feels like its been designed by users, and not by accounting mechanics.

Cons: The OnPay software just works, if there are problems, or least likes, can't think of anything significant.

• Reviewed on 04/12/2018
Will C.
Retail, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 06/12/2018

"I haven't used any other payroll software, but that's because OnPay has proven to be excellent."

Comments: OnPay does everything I need from a payroll perspective, from onboarding through WA State L&I taxes & federal payroll taxes. It makes being a business owner so much simpler than some of the payroll horror stories I've heard.

Pros: It's web-based, so I can access it from anywhere. This is a big benefit as I'm not always at the shop when I need to add an employee or check out if someone has PTO or something to that effect. The price is fantastic and the support has been superb. I've had to open a couple of support tickets due to issues I had early on with not understanding how to do payroll (brand new business owner) and they've been phenomenal. Very fast support response and they're always helpful.

Cons: It's likely not so much a con against OnPay as it is against payroll in general, but the process was a little confusing at first. Figuring out which payroll items to use for things like QSEHRA wasn't immediately obvious, but looking through the Knowledge Base or asking their support team I was eventually able to figure it out. This did mean I needed to make some retroactive corrections which OnPay was able to handle for me.