15 years helping Israeli businesses

About Google Docs

Web-based app designed to store, create, and edit spreadsheets and documents online. Templates, charting and commenting are available.

Learn more about Google Docs

Pros:

The remote access capability is fantastic. Google Docs is also a great solution for accessing documents with a Mac and PC.

Cons:

Sometimes I find when I am using the program it often lags a little when I end up typing too fast, which can sometimes also cause the webpage to crash, which is a little disappointing.

Google Docs ratings

4.7
4.3
4.5
4.8

9.2/10

Google Docs has an overall rating of 4.7 out 5 stars based on 28,147 user reviews on Capterra.

Have you used Google Docs before?

Filter reviews (28,146)

Karin
Karin
Executive Director in US
Entertainment, 2–10 Employees

Google Docs is the gold standard of team document creation

5.0 4 weeks ago New

Pros:

Producing plays requires a huge amount of team work. Collaborating on cast lists, costume inventories, prop plots, set designs and more are made far easier using Google docs. It's so easy to have all parties able to work on the same document, seamlessly, adding comments, tracking versions and seeing who commented what using tags

Cons:

Offline editing gets a little tricky for those with multiple accounts but overall it's great

Jamie
Onboarding Manager in US
Marketing & Advertising, 2–10 Employees

Best folder and document management system

5.0 2 weeks ago New

Comments: Google Docs is the best document keeper and creator. It has made it so easy for me to share folders with clients and collab with them on their work - totally recommend.

Pros:

It is so easy to share folders, whether that's adding others to it or sending people the link! I love how you can search the name of the doc on your search engine and it comes up! I think the best feature on google docs is how you can see real time updates from other people editing the document - it is so great for collaboration. And, I do not even need clients to turn in the documents to me - because I can see them! I also love how it saves all your changes live!

Cons:

I have been using google docs forever and have no complaints.

Human Resources (HR) Software, 10,000+ Employees

Certainly performing well...

Comments: While the program isn't perfect, Google Docs is by far the most easily accessible and widely used word editing programs. It excels at what it needs to do, but lacks on what it could do.

Pros:

To start, Docs get's everything you need done. Editing, typing, sharing—it's all easily done. In a school or work environment, the commenting mode and ability to share documents easily makes working extremely efficient. In comparison, a traditional document editor would require you to manually send the file, have the other party edit it, then send it back. In docs, being able to instantly see any edits or comments another person makes is a huge time-saver. Docs is also extremely compatible with other types of files, and even can transcribe PDF files. It's also capable of converting your current doc into other formats, which is helpful since you won't have to use a third-party website/application to do so. While being a common feature in other editing programs, the auto save feature is handy, as it saves every time a change is made, even if it's just a single letter. On top of that, Docs also stores previous versions of your document, which I personally found very useful when back-referencing older revisions of essays and other papers. Lastly, Docs runs constant grammar and spelling checks, which is great for when you are typing in a rush and misspell a word or type something out awkwardly. Not only that, but the detection is always improving, and is even able to detect proper nouns (like names) and recognize that they aren't spelled wrong because they are meant to be spelled that way.

Cons:

Despite it's strengths, Google Docs holds a few annoying points. A major disappointment lies in the lack of font support. While some of the major, non-standard fonts like IBM Plex Sans are available, a majority of the fonts that are available aren't well-known or widely used, which led me to using the same 4-5 fonts over and over again. There is no option to add third-party fonts either, which isn't ideal for those of us that have a selection of them on our computers. Despite Doc's simple design, it's actually a huge resource hog for both internet bandwidth and RAM. While it may not be noticeable on a decent computer, it's especially noticeable on computers that aren't from the last 4 years or so. Loading Docs onto my laptop from a few years ago brought it to its knees, and forced me to use an alternative. While Docs has plenty of shortcuts for its most commonly used tools, not every tool has a shortcut. On top of that, there are no options to bind our own shortcuts to a tool, which is a huge problem for those of us that have to write heavily formatted, non-traditional styled documents. Lastly, table creation and editing in Docs is still yet to be ideal. Each line in a table is treated as a separate line, meaning that you have to either edit each line or all the lines at once, which makes it inconvenient to create visually appealing tables.

Juan
Multimedia Production Specialist in Honduras
Outsourcing/Offshoring, 1,001–5,000 Employees

No more Lost Docs

Comments: It has made my work as a writer easier and safer. I can have everything in Drive and not be afraid of losing any data. It has the history of the changes I have made to each of the files. It keeps my comments and notes, too.

Pros:

What I like the most is that the document auto-saves, and if anything happens to the computer or any device I am working on, the file will still be in the drive. I won't lose it.

Cons:

There is one little thing I still don't know how to do, and it is to activate a dark mode in which the page turns black.

Brandon
Director of SEO in US

Good Online Doc Tool

4.0 last month New

Pros:

If you can use Word, you can use Google Docs. It's almost exactly the same.

Cons:

Sharing docs can sometimes be tough due to sharing restrictions. External folders are often needed.

Scott
Pastor in US
Religious Institutions, Self Employed

Google Docs For Ease of Use and Efficiency

5.0 2 weeks ago New

Comments: I have used Google Docs for more than 15 years. I said goodbye to Microsoft Word in the early 2000’s. I use Google Docs in my personal and professional life daily. I’m grateful for this tech.

Pros:

Google Docs makes it easy to creat documents, share documents without email and be more productive and efficient with your time.

Cons:

If there is internet interruption this can be problematic. But the lack of compatibility with other programs can be the most frustrating especially sharing with someone who is not tech savvy or is not familiar with online software like this.

Writing & Editing, Self Employed

My go to web application

5.0 2 months ago New

Pros:

Google Docs is my go to Web application. I write all of my files and my notes in Google Docs. What I like most about this application is that it is easier for me to access my files or documents even when I am not connected into a Wi-Fi because it allows me to download my files offline.

Cons:

I like least about the Google Docs is, I can’t seem to figure out how to customize certain elements. However , I can easily find instructions on how to change the entire page's layout but I am having a hard time when it comes to to smaller details like headers or footers.

Cody
Owner in US
Photography, 2–10 Employees

Great document solution for a business of any size

5.0 last month New

Pros:

Ease of access via any browser or mobile device is extremely helpful especially for businesses that have a hybrid, remove and/or mobile workforce. The UI is familiar and easy to use. The add in store offers a lot of expandable functionality beyond Docs built in feature set.

Cons:

Being able to collaborate with non-Google users is possible, but there's no way to limit which guests can modify vs view only vs comment only. Permission management can be tricky when folder and file permissions must be different.

Food & Beverages, 10,000+ Employees

Great for on-line/ documents creation and/ or collaboration

5.0 2 weeks ago New

Comments: Excellent tool for document sharing and/ or dynamic and secure collaboration.

Pros:

The on-the-go collaborative features are easy to utilize. You can make sure the right people (access management) has the right access level (edit, comment, read-only) so they can meet the objectives. Not having to think "what is the right doc I should access?" is just great. There will be only one single document to access, and one single online version for everyone.

Cons:

It might be a bit complex to structure the text/ tab/ formats. As a user, it may take a bit longer than with the traditional MS Word.

Leisure, Travel & Tourism, 501–1,000 Employees

Favourite word editor .

5.0 last week New

Pros:

In-class collaboration between users is Google docs strongest point ,and it is what I like most about it. This has proven beneficial to my team , as we rely on it for multi - user collaboration when creating documents for my team or department. Having multiple users being able to work together on documentations makes us more efficient and productive.

Cons:

Whenever I have imported word documents created with third party tools into Google docs, the formatting properties of such documents get distorted, leaving me spending extra time to reformat the file.

Cullen
Cullen
IT Business Consultant in US
Information Technology & Services, Self Employed

Everything for Individuals to Small Businesses and Fast to Learn

Comments: Overall Google Docs covers all the necessities and far more for even the most advanced users. Its been my go to document editor for a few years now and will remain at the top. Most competitors are only note taking software or of course Microsoft Word or Microsoft Office 365, which invites a new level of confusion between the two for users I may share documents with unlike Google Docs. I've seen Google Docs used by both large enterprises and legal businesses which shows just how widely accepted its easy to use approach is. As an entrepreneur I have to think about my clients and colleagues whom I communicate with, making certain we can communicate and access shared files without any hiccups 24/7.

Pros:

Google Docs brings all the tools and features of a AAA desktop text editor to the cloud at no cost. It's really easy to learn how to use because Google maintains a clean interface with intuitive controls/navigation. Saving all your documents to the cloud is a huge bonus you don't always realize until you have it. I found myself opening documents on my mobile device and sharing them to work colleagues, which made things so much smoother countless times! Over the past year especially google has really grown with plugins, allowing third party apps/software interact with Docs. For example I'm able to export reports from other software directly into the Google Doc i'm editing without leaving the text editor interface. Google is so widely used that sharing a document as a google doc is almost necessary. When I do some freelance work It's a must to share docs as a Google Doc, because my clients understand how to open and interact with documents without my teaching. Google stays on top of things with frequent new content/features which don't require any downloads to keep up to date. If your using google docs for work, documents can be shared or only accessed by fellow employees or departments etc. Very helpful when creating drafts and prototyping.

Cons:

There are some advanced features that you may find in Microsoft Word missing from Google Doc, however its a tradeoff for easy of use. It would be nice if the navigation through documents was more customized. For example a left side navigation bar that broke down categories and subcategories for faster browsing. Google Docs doesn't have the same file explorer view as in Google Drive which creates a bit of a mess of files.

Sumit
Sumit
Founder and Owner in India
Information Services, Self Employed

Best web based Document Editor you can get for Free

Comments: Since I am a Blogger and a part time recruiter, I happen to compose articles and receive a lot of Resumes. I find Google Docs very useful. I can access Resumes on the go on my mobile using Google Docs app for Android. Since it is from Google, we can store documents directly to Google Drive. The thing that I feel it lacks is support, I have to look for help topics or community forums in order to find an answer to a question that I have. The need seldom arises though.

Pros:

The great thing about Google Docs is its free to use, supports standard formats like .doc, .docx and .odt and files are stored on cloud. Google Docs app is also available for Android and iOS, so it can be used on the go. Another great thing is it supports simultaneous modification of documents by multiple users. Most word processing features are available so we don't have to spend a lot of money on other commercial document editing software.

Cons:

It has a web-based editor that works only when we have internet access, so if we are working remotely we need to first download documents and edit them in any other document editor. Support is available via forums or help section of Google Docs, unless we have G Suite subscription. No Windows version of Google Docs is available, can only be access via browsers.

Eric
ESOL Classroom Teacher in US
Education Management, 1,001–5,000 Employees

Google Docs: Great for Personal, Business, and Educational needs

Comments: I find that the best thing Google Docs has done for me is saved time and headaches. I am able to keep track of files and data, all the time knowing that it is taken care of and won't ever be deleted. I don't have to worry about a computer crash or anything of the sort. Google keeps things organized and efficient.

Pros:

I love how you can customize your storage for whatever use you need. Pictures, text, audio, it can all find a home. Personally, I use Drive everywhere, and the fact that I can take it anywhere is very convenient. I can access files anywhere I have a computer or my phone. For my work I use drive with my students. They can submit their own files to me for assignments and I can grade them using Drive in concert with Google Classroom. It is seamless and saves so much time.

Cons:

I feel like the only thing this service could do better would be an easier way to find and locate files within the drive system. Sometimes it takes a little too long to track down a particular file or folder. I think part of that is because I am used to a 'desktop' format and this is not set up in that way.

Director of Operations in US
Entertainment, 11–50 Employees

Great free option for documents

Comments: We have used it to publish documents to our non-office educators since 2013. This staff ranges from 8 to 35 people depending on time of year.

Pros:

Pretty intuitive to any experienced word processing user. Reasonable range of basic features such as fonts, text boxes, shapes, tables, and formatting. Most features that aren't there aren't missed very often. Collaboration tools and ability to jointly edit in real time is best I've seen over the 40 years I've been using document editors. Easy to share with other Google users within predefined Groups. Good security and availability of Google servers makes it the most reliable and secure method of making IP information available. Ability to cross-link documents with other web resources as a matter of course is extremely helpful.

Cons:

Importing from other software (Word, Open Docs) results in massive formatting issues. This is probably it's worst problem. Tables can be awkward to work with, especially copying/pasting from multiple cells into another table.

Ali
Ali
Information Technology Adviser in Azerbaijan
Information Technology & Services, 2–10 Employees

Great word processor for Offline and Online team working with rich features

Comments: It’s a real business handy text and document editor and a great word processor that I use every day via my mobile and tablet everywhere and I've continued my writing and editing via my desktop pc in the office. It saves you time and the result you get is great because it also exports docs to PDFs and other common files. It helps a lot in creating articles and writing official letters and it is a very fast and smart word editor.

Pros:

It has all the features needed to edit and create a text and create a new document, and when you write the new text or edit any document is automatically saved, and if you are connected to the Internet, it is stored in the cloud, and if you do not have Internet access, it is saved on your device, then It is automatically saved and synced in Google Cloud after connecting to the Internet. Files are always available offline or you can access to the via Google Doc cloud storage anytime, anywhere and all these premium features are completely free, and you can always back up, edit or share files and documents with anyone easily.

Cons:

In my opinion, since Google Doc automatically saves edited documents, it should always have a backup copy of the original version that can be accessed if necessary.

Matteo
Matteo
Motion Designer in Italy
Entertainment, Self Employed

My Professional (and personal) Office suite

Comments: Incredibly amazing.
I use Google Docs every day, for professional and personal use.
Professionaly I can't live without it, and without its integrations.

Pros:

I LOVE the ability to start to write a document, compile a sheet or a presentation on my phone, and then continue on my Desktop or Notebook. I share documents with my colleague and clients to keep us constantly updated on modifications or variations. I LOVE the cross platform easy of use and sharing functions.

Cons:

Sometimes it's not so intuitive and easy to use like other local software or other online software/apps.

Kevin
Kevin
Owner/Artist/Designer in US
Apparel & Fashion, 2–10 Employees

The Only Docs Program You Need

Comments: I am working on a poetry book, 2 novels, and more and was overwhelmed at my computer totally crashing just because I was using my open-source editor/etc program and would not only waste acres of time but actually lose works because it didn't save then up to the point of crashing. This program never crashes but if my browser freezes, when it unfreezes, I am exactly back where I was with zero loss. And...it is free. And Google! Love Google!

Pros:

I can say immediately, that it is free! Moreover, I have been using an open-source program for decades that was the same and better than the most popular for all of my writing and document needs. I had not used Google Docs much, honestly, till the last couple of years as I thought it was perhaps too simple for my needs. Wow! I was wrong, wrong, wrong! It is a bit simpler, yes, but exactly what I need. Additionally, the fact that I don't ever have to save anything at all -- it is automatic, makes all the difference in the world. Online, offline, it is a writer's dream and equally great for business.

Cons:

On my tablet, it is easy to get into and write or edit but I cannot seem to find all the functionalities such as the fonts I need to change to for certain projects. I found it by accident after several minutes and then couldn't find it again. However, I am sure it is only because of the app on the tablet, which is totally new to me, and that I just need to familiarize myself more. On my pc/laptop, neither have that issue at all.

Bukhosi
SEO Analyst in South Africa

Google Docs Is An Amazing Document Editing Tool

Comments: If I were to rate it out of 100 I would give it a 99/100 because the tool is amazing, and its easy to learn and start using.

Pros:

I like that I can work and collaborate with my team seamlessly. Google Docs is amazing because I can also share documents on the run and I don't have to carry my laptop around. I can run Google docs on the browser at all times without having to install any apps which is really amazing.

Cons:

Without a connection can save my files for editing offline but I wanna be able to use Google Docs even in areas without a connection and that's the only issue for me. aI think this issue can be fixed by embedding the web app to Google chrome for offline use

Christopher
Creative Director in Italy
Photography, 2–10 Employees

Google Docs: Easy to use and share with team members

Comments: Google docs has become a must for us as we use it with Google Business and being able to export in different formats (mainly word) is key. Being able to share and edit the same document is also a really good feature Google Docs has.

Pros:

We use Google docs probably every day and being able to share, comment and edit the same document is vital for us. Google Docs lets us do this with ease and being able to export as a Word document is also a great feature.

Cons:

Google has changed the way google Drive works with Google Docs. We use to love being able to drag and drop it the document into certain folders but they have changed the way they have let us do this - so it adds a few more steps to our process which is a bit annoying. And Google keep increasing the prices despite making certain features less useful.

Reema
Associate Director in US
Individual & Family Services, 11–50 Employees

Literally the Best Word Processor

Comments: Again, made my life so so much better at work. I can't imagine a world without it now.

Pros:

I think you probably have to live under a rock if you don't know the gist of how Google Docs works, but I love Google Docs and use it for everything at work. I work remotely and often need to have a number of staff work on numerous reports at once. Google Docs is seamless for collaboration, if someone messes up you can always go into the history and fix it, and sharing is easy. Additionally, the @ feature where you can assign a comment to a coworker is the best thing ever invented. Microsoft is trying to replicate, but their online sharing is such a mess compared to Google Docs, and their products are way too complex for the output they give you. I swear by Google Docs and Google Sheets at work.

Cons:

The only thing Microsoft has over them is the spelling and grammar tool. Google's unfortunately is subpar at best. Whenever I need to do a grad school project, I literally type the whole thing in Docs and export it to Word just to make sure the spelling and grammar is up to par. I would love to not have to do that anymore, and I can tell they are working on it. Once they figure out how to improve that, Google Docs will be a perfect product.

Russell
Russell
Teacher in US
E-Learning, 51–200 Employees

Docs is great for SPED teachers

Comments: Classroom-based SPED teacher

Pros:

The G Suite platform is a phenomenal tool for SPED teachers, but specifically, Docs is an integral part of my profession. Here's why I love it: - It's cloud-based and constantly saving. So neither I nor my students have to worry about losing/misplacing it. It's always there for us (as long as there's internet connection). - Nearly all of the features from Microsoft Word are there, with the exception of a few. So if you're familiar with Word, you'll be fine using Docs. The set-up and look is a bit different, but it's user-friendly and you can pick up on it quickly. Plus, there's tons of great YouTube tutorials that will introduce you to Docs. - For the SPED classroom, you can use Docs for Progress Monitoring so wonderfully. Just Google search it and you'll find lots of amazing ideas from other brilliant people. - You can share files with students and not worry about them losing it. Plus, they are digital natives so they enjoy working on digital documents. - You can use it to collect data on IEP goals or teams of teachers can collaborate on one document and store information. - There are many great add-ons to help learners with disabilities. - There's the voice-to-text feature that can come in handy for students/teachers, as well as the explore feature if a student needs to learn more about a topic. - Although not necessarily a SPED-specific feature, there's a translate feature that is helpful for ESOL kids. - I can add voice recordings for oral exam accommodations.

Cons:

As I mentioned earlier, there is a learning curve. But be patient, use tutorials from YouTube when needed, or ask a friend, and you'll be fine! No real cons here!

Adam
Digital Marketing Specialist in US
Automotive, 501–1,000 Employees

Google Docs

Comments: Three of the members of my team work remotely, so we are not always in the same office. Google Docs allows me collaborate with them on all of my projects. My team can see/suggest edits and even comment on documents without loosing the original content. Because we are all so busy, it great to be able to do this at our own convenience and not have to block out time in our calendars for meetings.

Pros:

I love that fact that I can share a document with my entire team and they are able to edit/add content remotely. I have use other types of software that provide the same type service but they were very clunky and had a lot less features than their apps. Google Docs is very intuitive and very easy to understand which makes it a breeze for people on my team who have never used it before.

Cons:

I have noticed that with larger more complex documents, that it does take some additional time to load. It's understandable and not that big of an inconvenience, and in the scope of things definitely NOT a deal breaker.

Information Technology & Services, 11–50 Employees

Google Docs Reviews

Comments: For writing reports or making and editing text files with a computer, the first tool that many people think of is Microsoft Word, but in fact, Google Docs is becoming more and more powerful. In addition to online editing, there are many super practical skills that make me more efficient in processing documents. Strongly recommend! 1. Google Docs can select all of the same style text and edit all at once: no longer need to select one by one after changing the format! Sometimes editing the file will require changing the font, color, and size of the title. In Google Docs, you can directly select all the text of the same style. As long as you select the paragraph of text you want to modify and right-click, and then select "Select all matching text", you can select all the text you want to modify at once and edit them directly Color, size and style are convenient and fast. 2. The built-in web search function: you can type and search Google without opening a new window! If you need to query data when editing a document, you usually have to jump to the search tab or window again, but in Google Docs, just select "Tools" in the toolbar above and select "Explore", a small Google search will appear on the right side of the page Engine window, no need to switch to a different window, super convenient!

Pros:

The most impressive function is the Multi-person editing chat room: No need to open another line to discuss while changing text. This is the most convenient feature of Google Docs is that you can edit the same document with more than one person at a time. In this case, if you want to discuss or communicate in real-time, you don’t need to open other communication software. There is an instant communication room in Google Docs. The dialog symbol next to the head will open the communication room, making co-editing more efficient!

Cons:

Google Docs has the function of automatic archiving in real-time, and it will keep your change history. If you are dealing with long work or report text, sometimes you may need to go back to the previous version to make changes. At this time, just go to the "File" option in the upper toolbar. "Version history", you can select the modified version made at different times, and never have to press the back button!

Emily
Business Development Associate in US

Google Docs: User Friendly, But Room for Improvement

Comments: Overall, it is a great experience that I've had with Google Docs, as well as other Google Apps! But, because I use the Google Docs app the most on my day-to-day at work, it makes it really the best one, as well as more enjoyable and painless to have the app work so well and cater to so many of my needs.

Pros:

I love how easy it is to access, as well as how easy it is to use. If you already have a Google Account set up, the Google Docs is so easy to find in the Google Apps options, mainly because the graphic/button is so clear on what it is - it's a little document cartoon! Additionally, if there's something I'm unsure about, I can easily use the "Help" button in the toolbar to figure out how to do what I'm looking for, with it highlighting exactly where to find it so it not only solves it for me but shows me how to find and access it next time. Finally, it's really aesthetically pleasing and the formatting options are great for both first-time-users, as well as more advanced Google App users. Overall, I'm so happy to be using Google Docs because for my job, I have to use it daily, and it makes it so much more enjoyable to do my job if I'm able to easily use the tools given to me.

Cons:

One thing that I think Google Docs can improve on, is the function of the cursors and doc when multiple people are using it at once. A lot of the time when my colleagues and I are all taking notes on one doc, the formatting easily can get messed up because we're all writing on it at once. I'm unsure how this can be improved, but I think that switching to so you can't be writing on the same line would be super helpful! Like disabling two cursors from typing at the same time on the same line or something?

Marketing & Advertising, Self Employed

Great collaborative tool

Comments: I'm a convert to google docs especially as it's free for all.

Pros:

One of the best things about Google Docs is being able to work simultaneously on a document with another person who isn't physically present with you. You can see exactly what they are doing and use the document as a knowledge repository. If there are issues with the document you can easily look at what changes were made by which people and role back if needed.

Cons:

You need to be careful about creating duplicates of documents as they will copy over access from the original document. If you don't want the original collaborators to see the new document you need to change the access straight away.