15 years helping Israeli businesses

About Hive

Hive is the only project management platform designed by its users. Because managing your work is a personal thing.

Learn more about Hive

Pros:

Very few bugs and delays. The software seems to function smoothly and the customer support is prompt and effective.

Cons:

The chat constantly messed up and either didn't show messages or just didn't notify me.

Hive ratings

4.4
4.5
4.3
4.4

8.4/10

Hive has an overall rating of 4.5 out 5 stars based on 203 user reviews on Capterra.

Have you used Hive before?

Robert
Robert
Project Manager in US
Mechanical or Industrial Engineering, 2–10 Employees

The Only Project Management Software with the Features I need

Pros:

Hive is the only project management software that is cloud collaborative, has infinite sub tasks, and Gantt charts so it was an easy choice. Also it is not Microsoft Project so I don't have to deal with their insane billing methods. Chatting inside tasks or letting task owners turn sub tasks into their own projects is great. Everyone can keep up with who is working on what and who needs help or what is holding up the project. Sign in and billing is super easy. Support is extremely reactive when I have questions. There is a bunch of stats on task completion that I don't use, but look useful.

Cons:

The mobile app has significantly reduced functionality compared to desktop.

Kelly
Kelly
Design Engineering Manager in US
Computer Software, 1,001–5,000 Employees

Hive improves collaboration and project management

Comments: The platform has transformed the way my team collaborates and manages projects. The intuitive interface, coupled with powerful project planning features, has significantly improved our efficiency and productivity.

Pros:

Hive has become an indispensable tool in my daily workflow, and its best feature, in my opinion, is the seamless integration of project management and collaboration tools. The ability to centralize communication, task management, and file sharing in one platform has significantly enhanced team collaboration and efficiency.

Cons:

The mobile app experience could use some improvement. The app is functional, but it lacks some of the features available in the desktop version. Enhancing the mobile app's capabilities would be beneficial for users who need to manage tasks and collaborate while on the go.

Donald
Executive Technical Director in US
Construction Software, 11–50 Employees

Game Changer PPM Program

4.0 3 weeks ago New

Comments: Project, task and resource management.
Team collaboration and document storage.

Pros:

Hive allows me to manage projects, tasks and resources automatically. Document storage is another added advantage about this tool.

Cons:

Unavailability of on-premise platforms for mobile and desktop is the only issue with Hive.

Campaign MAnager in US
Information Technology & Services, 501–1,000 Employees

Development Done Very Wrong

1.0 2 months ago New

Comments: Hive more than doubles the amount of tedious, manual data entry required for every project. Most of my team actively avoids using Hive as much as possible. Instead we rely on spreadsheets and email to do literally everything Hive can do but better, faster, and with less training. Then we just mark everything complete in Hive so it looks like we're using it.

Pros:

If you complain about Hive enough you'll get a thirsty email from Hive's [sensitive content hidden] asking for free advice.

Cons:

Hive proudly proclaims itself "the world's first democratic project management platform," then goes on to explain, "That means that our product is built by users, for users, via feedback on our Forum." What it actually means is not only do they expect end users to beta test their unfinished software but also that they expect those end users to pay for the privilege. The backlog of bugs that users have reported via their forum is five years long. They have no plans to actually fix anything; instead they're obsessed with addeing "new" features that are really just re-packaged old features that never worked right and still don't. Hive somehow manages to fail at even the simplest functions of basic project management. For example, if the dates for a project shift back a week, you have to manually change the date for every single action and subaction in that project. Unless, that is, you pay for an add-on tool that lets you automate that. But you'll have to program it yourself. And it probably won't work anyway. Because they didn't bother to test if the automate tool and they're using you, the paying user, as a guinea pig.

Obhioze
Member in US
Higher Education Software, 10,000+ Employees

A Superlative and Magnificent Project Management Software.

Comments: Planning and managing projects with Hive is simple.Team collaborate effectively on projects assignments when using Hive.

Pros:

It is simple to execute projects with Hive and also ensure timely work and project completion.Hive keeps routine tasks and work organized.It is simple to create and assign tasks to team with Hive.

Cons:

I haven't experienced any drawback with Hive as it meets my project management needs.

Brandon
Brandon
Sales Specialist in US
Hospital & Health Care, 5,001–10,000 Employees

Ideal for cooperation on internal and external projects

Comments: Team members should be able to talk to each other right away. As a company, we rely heavily on phone contacts with consumers, therefore when problems arise, staff members need to be able to get down to the bottom of things without having to start another call. While on the phone with a customer, we may effortlessly converse thanks to this service.

Pros:

It's incredibly straightforward, yet packed with flexible features. handling projects as a manager. Assigning work to team members, keeping tabs on their progress, etc.

Cons:

The only drawback thus far is the cost. Although it is not the cheapest service we have used, it has everything we need to keep our projects on schedule and working smoothly.

Saskia
Saskia
Senior Director Sales Marketing in US
Restaurants, 10,000+ Employees

Benefits project managers greatly

Comments: Our company's leaders now get a bird's-eye perspective of all ongoing work thanks to Hive. Using this technology has helped us streamline our processes, which has resulted in better projects completed faster. By consistently utilizing Hive, we drastically reduce the likelihood that a client's inquiry or a project's progress would be overlooked.

Pros:

The visual interface is intuitive. Our Marketing team can benefit from using the proofreading tool. By streamlining the approval process, it shortened the time it took to complete our projects. Anxious users will like the "my actions" tab's streamlined perspective. It's great that any member of our team may serve as the project manager for their respective tasks.

Cons:

I'd like it if the statuses could be modified to suit individual needs rather than coming prepopulated, or if the option to delete the default statuses was available.

Jessica
Jessica
Game Programmer in US
Computer Software, 201–500 Employees

Very smooth design and perfect for remote coworkers

Comments: Our marketing team used Hive to organize a special, multi-week initiative. As a company with employees spread across the country, we needed a way for everyone to feel as though they were working side by side in the same room at all times.

Pros:

Hive is used for both microtask management and internal team communication. This facilitates systematic documentation of all open tasks in accordance with PMI's best practices.

Cons:

The task cards can only hold text, hence we can't attach any necessary files to them. The main barrier is oversharing with third-party suppliers outside of the company.

Tichaona Redemptor
Tichaona Redemptor
Chief information officer in South Africa
Information Technology & Services, 2–10 Employees

The best project management software

Comments: I think Hive is a great project management tool that offers many features and benefits for users.

Pros:

It has a smart analytics feature that allows users to track their progress, performance, and productivity, and get insights and recommendations from machine learning.

Cons:

The task dependencies feature is not available or not working properly. Users cannot create dependent tasks or link tasks to each other.

Phil
Business Operations Manager in UK
Health, Wellness & Fitness, 51–200 Employees

Easy project management

Comments: I found hive to be an efficient platform for keeping track of my projects. I have several complex projects going at any one time and it's important for me to keep track of all the moving parts. Hive helped me do this in an easy and efficient way.

Pros:

I like the clean and simple UI and the intuitive navigation that make finding my way around the platform easy.

Cons:

The sign-up process wasn't as smooth and quick as I'e like.

Lindsey
Director of Operations in US
Marketing & Advertising, 2–10 Employees

Good and Bad, but Mostly Good

Comments: Overall, Hive works for our Marketing team and customer service is exceptional (especially [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN]). The biggest frustration is that we tested a few systems and chose Hive because it combined messaging, we liked the look of it, and the ability to link external apps if desired. The ultimate reason we chose Hive, though, was because when tested, projects with a date range for a due date showed up at the beginning of that range, which is exactly what we needed and no other system did that. However, a month after we switched and installed, that changed and they now show on the due date which causes issues (and extra messages and meetings) for our team to make sure stuff is being worked on proactively. We've had a large amount of issues with recurring actions and auto-snooze as mentioned above and I've reported it several times. We've had Hive around 8-10 months and just went through redoing our entire workspace to hopefully make it more streamlined due to the systemic issues we were having. With that, I'll say there are several ways to utilize Hive and you can find what fits for your team. So overall, good and bad - mostly good.

Pros:

For our team of five, the most beneficial features are: ability to assign two people, ability to color code projects, ability to track time within a task, ability to add approvers within a task, direct and group messaging within the app (replaced separate use of Slack), Notes and ability to share them, and the "status" and "table" views for projects.

Cons:

For our team, we have had repeat issues with recurring actions not functioning correctly, specifically with auto-snoozing actions and sub actions (even past their due date) as well as due dates when we try to update recurring actions. We shifted our set-up and re-entered all actions at one point to try and workaround the need for a recurring action. We also prefer for actions with a date range for a due date to show up as of the start of that date range so we know how many days we have to work on something, however they show up the day it's due.

3 years ago

Thanks for your review, Lindsey! We're happy to hear that Hive is a helpful tool for your marketing team. Your feedback is also appreciated, and will be passed along to the product team here at Hive. Cheers!

Michelle
Studio Manager in US
Architecture & Planning, 2–10 Employees

Overall good, can tell quirks are getting worked out as the product grows and evolves.

Comments: Overall it has been good. We have watched the program evolve and have definitely noticed improvements in ease of use and functionality. Several questions/ functional issues that I have had and expressed through surveys and chats have been modified/corrected, so it's good to see that the company is actually paying attention to how people are using it.

Pros:

-Multiple methods of tracking and organizing projects. -Easy for multiple people to see what needs to be done on a project -timelines make is easy to see where a project is going -chats make it easy to keep shared notes available to everybody -The time tracking feature is a nice addition. We are still getting the hang of using it effectively, but I think it is a good addition.

Cons:

-Definitely don't like the new blue expansion boxes in the Gnatt view. Too easy to rename/delete something -Can't see my notes on Hive mobile. -Wish the green "complete" mark bubbles could change color depending on what the status of an item is. -I don't understand why the subactions of a phase don't stay condensed/expanded as I left them, instead of randomly expanding/condensing upon close & reopen of a project. -Wish there was an option of deleting all the subactions when a phase is deleted, instead of having them appear in a different phase then have to delete each one manually, individually. -I'm not sure if I'm missing an option, or if there is a bug, but it seems like dependencies don't always make the things they are attached to, move together. Maybe I just need a more through explanation of how the feature works.

Director of Brand Development in US
Marketing & Advertising, 2–10 Employees

A Great Tool For An Old Dog Who's Still Learning New Tricks

Comments: All jobs are run through Hive so we solve all our team productivity, scheduling and asset sharing (not final assets but briefs, notes, schedules, background documents, comps, etc) through the tool. We do not currently use the tool for client interaction, sharing or as an approval mechanism although we would like to.

Pros:

I very much like the ablility to integrate IM, email and the productivity capabilities into one tool. It's a fantastic way to keep a 360-degree record of every job.

Cons:

I do find that there is a huge learning curve for someone like me. I've been in this business for a long time but have always relied on others in supporting roles like traffic and production. Working for a small company where I am now responsible for everything from strategy to implementation and project management is a big challenge in and of itself. But learning the software on top of that does take time. It's not necessarily intuitive for someone like me that hasn't used other productivity software. Finding help and instructional videos to help me learn the basics and progress is somewhat difficult. I find myself spending lots of time sifting through the blog, doing Google and YouTube searches and reaching out through he tool's chat capability (often times it takes several hours to get a response). I wish there was a channel with all the videos that were well organized into a series of tutorials that would get you up and running quickly. I do a lot of trial and error and "learn by doing" on the platform. Again, because I'm a newbie, I suspect that would be the same no matter which tool I was using and probably isn't an issue for my younger, software native, brethren.

Mohammed
Tech. Manager and Software Arch in Jordan
Information Technology & Services, 201–500 Employees

The appropriate collaborative option for managing various types of projects.

Comments: Hive helped us plan our projects more accurately and generate executable work plans that allowed us to follow the implementation stages and adjust tasks more flexibly. I strongly urge everyone to use it and take advantage of its collaborative and remote working features. Support is quick to respond and address difficulties when we have needed it.

Pros:

Hive is more user-friendly, and one of the easiest project management platforms to set up and use, all for a low monthly fee. We were able to include customers and stakeholders on the same subscription, which helped us to accurately collect their opinion, especially in the planning stages and development of work schedules. In summary, it is a powerful collaborative tool that keeps everyone informed of project developments and assigns roles fairly, ensuring that all participants contribute according to their expertise.

Cons:

Hive is ideal for a wide range of projects and comes at a very reasonable price. It is simple and flexible enough to manage all stages of the project life cycle.

2 years ago

Thank you for leaving this review, Mohammed! Your feedback helps us know what we are doing right and what we can improve on. We are so happy to hear that Hive has been beneficial to your team, and we thank you for being a vital part of the Hive community!

Glenn
Quality Manager in US
Mechanical or Industrial Engineering, 11–50 Employees

Hive Taken to the next level

Comments: Hive has been a great help managing sales orders, manufacturing processes, quality inspections right down to shipments. It provides MFT with a live overview of all the various projects running simultaneously by assigning travelers, tasks, additional notes, check off lists all on a daily basis.

Pros:

Know Hive is a Project Management tool MFT has taken it to the next level. We use Hive to following the manufacturing process from start to finish. As the Quality Manager, I use Hive to track scheduled fabrication on a daily basis. As orders are generated, the fabrication process is tracked throughout the build, to completion. Quality inspections are reported, and documented, then uploaded results so the team can review results. At this point, the jobs are tagged as complete and moved to the next step which is packing and shipping.

Cons:

As sales orders are generated, they are inputted into Hive along with all applicable documents, PO#, drawings, travelers and additional notes is needed. Hive use to be able to open a Autocad file or Solidworks file, but now, the drawing file has to be downloaded then opened. This is an extra step we didnt have to do in the past. The recent update eliminated the ability to open these files from Hive.

3 years ago

Hi Glenn! Apologies for the inconvenience. We've set to work righting this error and you should be back to normal within the week. Thanks again!

Nate
Nate
Senior Content Strategy Manager in US
Education Management, 201–500 Employees

Hive Keeps Us Organized

Comments: Very satisfied and very positive! If you need a project management tool I would 100% recommend Hive. If you have a management tool and are also using a chat app like google hangouts or Slack I'd make the switch to house it all in one place.

Pros:

Besides the obvious project management features that Hive excels at and that our team uses daily, the biggest gamechanger (and one I didn't expect when we launched Hive to be so impactful) is the chat function. For companies or groups who employ other apps like Slack, Hive offers a more streamlined place to hold all of your conversations in the same platform you manage and keep track of your work. It's been a huge boost for our team to have group and individual chats.

Cons:

Hive is still making changes and updates to its platform. This is typically a benefit as we appreciate working with a platform that is always seeking to optimize and improve. However there has been a few bugs due to updates that have limited access into the platform for a small amount of time (less than an hour). The issue is usually resolved quickly but it does set us back if and when it happens.

3 years ago

Thanks for your great review, Nate! We're happy to hear you enjoy using Hive. We are always working to improve the platform and launch new features with minimal impact on our users. Your feedback is appreciated and will be passed along to the product team. Thanks for being a part of the Hive family!

Connor
Program Coordinator in US
Nonprofit Organization Management, 51–200 Employees

After a learning curve, Hive is a strong for smaller organizations

Comments: Overall I enjoy using Hive. It is a simple software that serves every real need that I have. It could have more bells and whistles, but those aren't essential to operation, so I can't complain.

Pros:

Hive seems to work best for organizations under 100 employees. It's cross collaborative and does a good job keeping you informed of upcoming due dates for tasks. The messaging service is also very useful and easy to understand, it's barebones but it gets the job done.

Cons:

There is a pretty big learning curve for the first couple weeks of use, particularly with assigning tasks and managing projects. It's not the most intuitive software, but once you learn how to use it, it gets substantially easier to use. The process for creating a repeated tasked is a little tedious.

2 years ago

Thanks for leaving us this review, Connor! It's awesome to hear that Hive helps your team stay on top of tasks. We appreciate your feedback!

Ashley
Owner, CEO & Principal Consultant in Canada
Research, 2–10 Employees

Great way to organize your team & work flow!

Comments: Veyr good. It works perfectly for us as a small firm working priarily remotely.

Pros:

Hive is a great software for organizing our team's time, projects and work flow. Our team works remotely, and this tool really helps us to connect with one another and coordinate our efforts. As an administrator, I am able to easily monitor projects to ensure we are on time and budget (using the time tracking estimates), and my team's time to ensure our resources have enough but not too much work. It also allows us to measure our productivity and adjust our time and budget estimates for future projects.

Cons:

It was a bi of a learning curve, so although ease of use now is okay I think this part could be enhanced. We are unable to send emails from hive using alias', which is difficult because I use one for my firm (many small business do) and makes the email feature unusable for us and there should be an option so that only administrators can see time of other employees. This is for us to monitor and it is inappropriate for other employees to see, as they do not necessarily know the circumstances for another staff which may be confidential.

Kara
DTC Manager in US
Cosmetics, 51–200 Employees

Easy to use platform!

Pros:

It was super easy to create tickets, assign tickets and find past tickets.

Cons:

It was hard to find campaign / project specific items at times. When they lived in folders things started getting sort of lost.

Sales Operations in US
Environmental Services, 11–50 Employees

Close But Not Quite

Comments: Timely response to chat logs. It would be a great product if the e-mail integration actually added value to ones workflow.

Pros:

Intuitive, easy to navigate. Many useful features you would expect with a project collaboration tool.

Cons:

Gmail attachments make into to the HIVE e-mail interface only about half of the time. Of those that do make it into HIVE about 65% must be downloaded rather than simply read. Hive will read a g.doc via Drive but all other attachments must be downloaded. If you create an action from the Hive e-mail and want to work on the documents that are attached, you would have to download and reattach the the documents to the action card. That renders HIVE e-mail integration about useless if you get a lot of e-mails with attachments. For me Hive is a no go for that reason. But, also because only half of the attachments even make into Hive to begin with.

Amanda
Marketing Manager in US
Computer Software, 201–500 Employees

Great software at a competitive price

Comments: Our team does not have a project manager, so we needed a tool that would streamline our project processes and enable each team member to PM their own projects. Hive allowed us to get projects spun up faster and has increased our cross-functional team collaboration.

Pros:

There are so many features that I love about Hive. My favorite is that you can tailor each project view to what works best. The ability to provide reviews in app and establish approval flows is awesome. Additionally, the template design is robust and allows you to quickly form a project plan.

Cons:

I would like a better alert system and the ability to leave alerts unread - once you read them, they disappear from the main notification tab. I would like more high-level reporting that we can bubble up for executive review.

Mitali
Digital Marketing Executive in India
Information Technology & Services, 11–50 Employees

Absolute Game-changer for My Team!

Comments: Hive has been a genuine game-changer software for my team. I highly recommend this tool to any company looking for a project management solution.

Pros:

The software is incredibly user-friendly, making it easy for everyone on our team to collaborate seamlessly on projects. It offers great features which allow us to assign tasks, set deadlines, and track progress all in one place has made our workflow much more efficient.

Cons:

We didn't face any issues with the software, but some minor bugs irritated us sometimes which I think is not a major issue.

Hannah
market research analyst in US
Marketing & Advertising, 51–200 Employees

Hive is a much needed resource during remote work and continues to improve!

Comments: Project management and in-house (only) team communication.

Pros:

The chat function is HUGE for keeping our team connected while we are apart. We use it every day. I also love the "my actions" view because it keeps everything organized for me and I can stay on track and on time while juggling many different projects at once. Hive takes our feedback and makes improvements in a timely manner. I would recommend this product and it will just keep getting better!

Cons:

I think "my actions" should automatically sort by the next due date at the top (the closest date). Instead, you have to manually adjust the order of tasks by due date, which is a little tedious. Maybe you could offer both options? Manual and auto.

Shane
Content Team Lead in US
Marketing & Advertising, 11–50 Employees

The Best Workflow and Product Management Software We've Found

Pros:

After trying 3 or more programs for workflow and product management, none of them have the sophistication and intuitive features that Hive does. It has helped our project management and workflow process tremendously!

Cons:

Because Hive offers such in-depth customization, it can be difficult to set everything up to run at maximum efficiency. We have a person in our company that was able to put everything together in such a way that made everything run very smoothly. So it may be a little difficult to set up to your needs, but once it's there your productivity will soar.

3 years ago

Thank you for this kind review, Shane! We are so happy to have you as part of the Hive community. If you ever have any feature requests or want to see what others are suggesting, head over to our feedback platform on Canny. We'd love to hear your thoughts! https://hiveteams.canny.io/feature-requests

Mark
Mark
Partner in US
Design, 2–10 Employees

Hive Works!

Comments: As I mentioned above, working remotely can be difficult but I've been able to stay connected to my business partners using this software.

Pros:

I like the fact that it consolidates the functionality of Slack, Trello and other project management software packages into one. I work remotely and it's easy to stay in touch with other members of the team on a minute-to-minute basis.

Cons:

I can't get it to work reliably on my iPhone, despite updating it regularly. I have an older phone (5s) because I just like to have a smaller phone to carry. Soon this needs to change, but for now if I get notifications from Hive I have to find a place to pull up my laptop.