15 years helping Israeli businesses

About BQE CORE Suite

BQE CORE makes it easier & more profitable to run your firm by automating repetitive tasks & delivering real-time actionable insights.

Learn more about BQE CORE Suite

Pros:

Overall the experience is good, however the accounting module should be improved in order to be more user friendly.

Cons:

Early on we had a difficult time understanding the vendor bill workflow.

BQE CORE Suite ratings

4.3
4.6
4.4
4.5

8.7/10

BQE CORE Suite has an overall rating of 4.5 out 5 stars based on 747 user reviews on Capterra.

Have you used BQE CORE Suite before?

Andrew
Andrew
Managing Partner in US
Architecture & Planning, 2–10 Employees

Yep, there is a feature for that!

Comments: Good. Invoicing and time entry in the program fit our needs. There are always more features that we discover when we need more from CORE.

Pros:

The program is cloud based which keeps us current. Most of the time when I have specific report, feature, or activity that I want, I can find what I need quickly. As with many programs, CORE does more than my office utilizes it for. Invoicing and time entry are usually smooth processes.

Cons:

We migrated from ArchiOffice and feel that the way contacts are managed in CORE is utterly useless. We've abandoned it in favor of a piecemeal assortment of Office 365 and Mac built-in programs.The structure of projects is also something that can be improved. When a project transforms from hourly to percentage or adds phases, CORE has some flexibility but there are troublesome aspect such as migrating time from a single phase project to ensure it can be captured in invoices.

robin
SURVEY TECH in US
Civil Engineering, 11–50 Employees

Great time tracking and project tracking

Pros:

The best thing about it is ease of use.

Cons:

I wish it would let you edit your entries from the timecard area without having to go into the entries list, but other than that I have no negatives.

Angela
Architecture & Planning, 11–50 Employees

Still learning BUT working well for our firm

4.0 last month New

Pros:

Ease of creating new projects with various templates & phases, option to assign fee schedules and invoicing

Cons:

The platform runs slow and you have to constantly scroll. Great reporting options; however, could use improvement by allowing more customization on templates (removing fields, adding fields, etc...)

Architecture & Planning, 11–50 Employees

Software has issues, but their customer support is pretty good

Comments: In theory, I like all of the features that core has to offer, however, when the features don't work the way they're supposed to it becomes a bit of a nightmare to use. It has a lot of bugs, crashes often and in general is just not very user friendly.

Pros:

I like the expense management feature for employee reimbursement and client billing purposes. I also liked the accounting feature that allows you to bill expenses straight from the Cloudfeeds. I also really liked their customer support. They have a solid team on standby for customer support. I would often get the same person when I called. They are super friendly and know how to navigate the software.

Cons:

It's time consuming to use - it's so slow and there are a lot of features that bug out and simply don't work the way they're supposed to, so I spend a lot of time navigating all of that, which is a bummer.

Tanya
Tanya
Architectural Associate in US
Architecture & Planning, 11–50 Employees

Great product fro expense and time tracking, and way more

Pros:

I have been using BQE Software for almost 4 years now. I have been reguarly logging hours and expenses as part of my daily work. I really love the app version in which I can snap a picture on the go from my receipt and toss the receipt away immediatelly. It has saved me tons of time of collecting receipts and then balancing my credit card account. Tracking billable hours is also pretty easy and there are couple of options to do so for each personality from using project timers that you can play and pause to straight old-fashined type of plug-in. Overall, I am very happy of this software.

Cons:

I like all features I have to use for my work.

Mirna
Project Administrator in US
Civil Engineering, 51–200 Employees

New product for us - Really like it so far

Comments: I would definitely recommend Core to others. You have to learn the product first but once you do, it's very helpful.

Pros:

The reports we are able to run are extremely useful to us. You can see how each project is doing super easily.

Cons:

At first it was a little hard to use but only because we were used to another program. Now that we use it every day, it's become very helpful.

Umang
Electrical Design Engineer in India
Construction Software, 51–200 Employees

Best at Accessibility and Time management.

4.0 2 months ago New

Comments: Overall, it was a good experience till date. I would like to have Time Management section improvised so that it can be more functional in day-to-day task management.

Pros:

Overall functionality and Ease of usage is best.

Cons:

As I have mentioned in the previous page time management can be improved.

Israel
Senior Finance in Mexico
Accounting Software, 51–200 Employees

BQE: the ally of the companies

5.0 last month New

Pros:

It is a tool that allows you to have a better control of the projects and times that will be charged to the clients.

Cons:

They always attend to the faults that arise, but sometimes it takes a little longer than desired.

Taylor
Construction Engineer in US

Easy & Efficient!

5.0 last month New

Pros:

The functions on BWQ CORE Suite are very user-friendly & easy to navigate. I am able to track my time that I spend on each project very easily, which in turn helps me prioritize my tasks for the upcoming weeks.

Cons:

Sometimes the program will run a bit slower than others that I use on my computer, but that could very well be related to the amount of information under one's profile rather than being a quality issue.

Rod
Civil Engineer III in US

Time and Expenses

5.0 last month New

Pros:

The ease of use for filing in time and knowing right away if it is billable or not.

Cons:

How it assigns the overtime hours to the last entry over 40 hours.

Felice

BQE Core Review Dec 2022

Comments: This software does take some time and effort to learn, but as with everything you get out of it what you put into it. You need to take the time to both learn and enter data so that you get accurate results.

Pros:

The customer service is outstanding and available 24-7. The software itself is easy to use as long as you put the time in to learn what it can do. Reports are great and very customizable and if you cannot find what you need there is an option to reach out for a custom report for a fee. Time entry is extremely easy to do whether you are in the office or on the go.

Cons:

Invoices when in draft mode cannot only have some changes made to them, whereas other PM software I have used lets you update more whilst in this mode. Also we started using the accounting feature and the bank feed updates are still not working

Carmen
Business Manager in US
Architecture & Planning, 11–50 Employees

So far we have had positive experiences in Core

Comments: Core has greatly solved our resource allocation, project management and Time & Expense tracking.

Pros:

We are getting more and more use out of Core. So far we are just diving in, but it has helped our time tracking and expenses and keep our documents in one place. Allocation and forecasting, project management and time and expense setup are all helpful. We are using our custom report for allocations and it is working well for us.

Cons:

Any changes, we pass through ideas and so hopefully they are updated as new features - we would like to know the status of our requests just so we can discuss in our meetings.

Irma

BQE - We rely it!

Comments: No issues to write about, just as mentioned it is a bit to maneuver, but overall experience is positive.

Pros:

Honestly, the support from the support team if there is a problem, has been key to rating the software.

Cons:

Sometimes the software is a bit tricky to maneuver, but as mentioned the support team is great.

President in Norway
Civil Engineering, 2–10 Employees

I am happy to say that I took a leap of faith in upgrading my office to BQE

Comments: Prior to using BQE software I used Wind-2 and SEMA4 which are costly programs. I was not a newbie to using project management software when implementing BQE. My greatest frustration in using those legacy programs was that they did not have any flexibility in them that allowed me to update or “correct” erroneous entries into the system database without having the data reprogrammed in some way by the vendor. Support for BQE can assist making changes on the fly if need be and hopefully will continue to support the services industry in the future. I have witnessed the mission of BQE to continue to improve the software and support for its users. I am happy to say that I took a leap of faith in upgrading my office to BQE and have not been disappointed.

Pros:

SIMPLICITY – it is an easy transition from paper time sheets in a format that employees can easily understand. Employee time entries can add memos that are invaluable to explain charges to clients or counsel employees on their activities. FLEXIBILITY – Some projects require slightly different reporting/invoicing formats to fit the client’s needs. BQE support assists with accomplishing just that at a reasonable cost. SUPPORT – Over these years, issues in understanding inputs or reporting have been addressed in real-time, on-line, to help maintain operation schedules for billing and reporting. REPORTS – Both summary and detailed reports are available that can include memos to help clarify time and expenses. One can look at a project from different facets based on a manager’s needs.

Cons:

Some of the labor reporting modules need to be reviewed that use an integer formatted numbers that round off and be updated to use an accounting formatted number with 2 decimal places. My accounting department uses two report for payroll that use incorrect time (rounding up) instead of an exact job time/cost figure. I have to review and have them update to the corrected time values each time.

Eury
Billing Specialist in US
Management Consulting

My BQE Experience

Pros:

I like that BQE is user friendly and makes it possible for the entire company to enter their own time and expenses anywhere, anytime. I like that when there are updates to the system, users are informed. I really like that everything entered through the mobile app sinks right away into BQE. The technical support customer services is great. Even when someone is not sure of the answer, they research and get back to you. The support group is dedicated, knowledgeable and professional. Lenny is the best.

Cons:

I do not like that all reports are Word documents. With data, it is impossible to sort and filter when looking for information. It would also be easy if questions/answers could be given directly in BQE prior to invoicing instead of having to print each pre-bill and send to managers for approval and then enter their answer back in BQE. The system allows write up/down of billable hours but you cannot run an accurate report of the amounts that were written up/down (I think in BQE it includes non billable hours). I keep track of mine on an Excel spreadsheet and it would be nice if I did not need to have an additional spreadsheet. It would make more sense if each field that is populated in all categories could be use for reporting purposes. For example, if running a list of client, it would be good if we could choose what fields we want to see on the report for each client (like contact person, email address, industry...). Sometimes, I have to run three reports to get the information that I compile in one Excel spreadsheet. Maybe I do not have this information, but the only way to access report customization is via email. It would be nice to have a support line for easy questions regarding a new report.

Dale
Owner / Architect
Architecture & Planning, 2–10 Employees

Great tool for the Architect's office

Comments: Overall, this is a good office management tool for the architect. We have used it for the past 10 years and find it invaluable in all we do in managing projects and running the business.

Pros:

The product is great for the management of a project from time and expense reports to document management. It also manages the office contacts and calendar of events for all the employees. It will give you in real time if you are making or losing money on a project. It tracks and creates invoicing for all project clients. If you use QuickBooks, it is integrated directly with that software for complete accounting management. It is a great tool for Architects in that it is formatted for what we do (tasks and phasing of projects). If you have internet connection, you can get access to this program while on the road,

Cons:

When opening up project file, it takes 2 or 3 clicks to open up a file, such as Word, PDF and AutoCAD. Very, Very frustrating. Many of my employees do not use is function and simply use Window file manager to open and move files. We should not have to do this. It uses Java in the background for some of its operations, and I am not a fan of Java... it is always updating. Updating of the software is somewhat difficult for the person not a computer nerd.

Jaydra
President, Investigator in US
Accounting Software, 2–10 Employees

Great product! Practical, customizable, and good value for the money.

Comments: This product saves me time and keeps all my cases organized so I never miss important deadlines or follow-up tasks. Well worth the money.

Pros:

1) It has a nice look and it's easy to use because it is organized in an intuitive manner. 2) It is also incredibly customizable. There are so many ways to filter reports and adjust who sees which reports and when, it kind of blows my mind. I have done so many things to customize this software to my firm's needs and I still feel like I've just scratched the surface. This also means it will continue to be useful as my firm grows, which is incredibly valuable. 3) It's a cloud-based software, which means I never have to worry about installing the latest updates. It's also an extra bonus layer of data security because the data is not housed on my local in-office server. 4) Tracking time is easy, and once hours have been billed to the client they are marked in the system (this may seem like a pretty basic feature, but it was surprisingly difficult to find in a case management software). 5) It talks to QuickBooks online, and it's easy to transfer data. It saves a lot of time to transfer invoice and other data from the project management software directly into my accounting system. 6) The customer service and follow-up support is great. I was walked through the initial implementation, which got me up and running almost immediately - very little work time invested in the implementation. After using the software for a few weeks, I scheduled a one-on-one training session with a BQE trainer to get all my firm-specific questions answered which was great.

Cons:

My only (minor) complaint is that it does not yet also function as a CRM. I hope they add this feature because I'm looking forward to incorporating that data and function into the same system as my case management.

Scott
CEO in US
Computer Software, 2–10 Employees

The logic/use process seems to flow very well

Comments: The logic/use process seems to flow very well. The QuickBooks integration is very stable and makes sense once you understand it. The user interface looks nice, is operationally smooth and is very responsive both in design and speed.

Pros:

Overall, very good. There was a learning curve, as with all software, but it makes sense once you figure it out. There are lots of connectors/features so knowing what you need is a big part of this. Support has been very good. They methodically think through processes and help with issues, configuration settings, or bugs (which I recently filed and it will already be fixed by the weekend). The software appears to do what I need it do (Project/Time/Expense Management) and may also be our replacement for QuickBooks once we get the processes figured out. The cost seems to be fair and it’s Tiered Usage based on user needs was great and something competitors didn’t offer very well. We look forward to continue to use the product

Cons:

Its big and complicated. I would spend time investing in documentation on what things really do for the back-end. For example: The QuickBooks integration is great, but finding out what actually happens is confusing. I had to set up small tests to figure out that “activities” really mean “services” in QuickBooks and you can have select what records have to sync… documentation (very technical) is very good for people like me!

BQE Software Response

5 years ago

Hi Scott thank you so much for your review of Core, we strive to be cost-effective and provide a sleek user experience.

Shannon
Office manager in US
Mechanical or Industrial Engineering, 11–50 Employees

Do not get this software

Comments: I have never in 25 years worked with a more frustrating software and unreliable software

Pros:

I can have access through any computer. This the only good thing

Cons:

You can count on Mondays of the software not working due to updates that they did, the registries do not add things correctly - ex. The ledger balance is $15,000 and you have an expense of $300 and your new balance is $1000; and the beginning balance of the account is now showing -$33,000 when it was actually 0. We have to keep a separate excel spreadsheet so we know how much money is in our account because random amounts will just pop up in the ledger. When you reconcile you can only see the unreconciled items through a backwards way instead of them appearing on the monthly reconciliation report. Once a contract limit is met, all time goes to non-billable and is never calculated in the total cost of the project. The only way to have all costs allocated to a project is for them to be billed or marked as billed. We are currently looking to switch as soon as possible.

Wakif
Accounts Manager in Canada

I feel liberated with Core

Comments: As alluded earlier my experience with Core exceeds expectation. Most hiccups are sorted instantly with the knowledgeable support team. And with constant feedback, customization and updates, Core has met our firms needs and has delivered on every aspect of CRM and Project Management.

Pros:

In my capacity as an Accounts Manager, I feel liberated to access critical client data in real time. Ability to update the Core database remotely from multiple devices has increased efficiency and productivity for the Finance & Accounting Dept. Seamless integration across one interface has been a game changer for project management. Collaboration, time and expense entries and accessing overall health of projects is readily available. Key performance indicators and customizable dashboards offers the foodies who eat with their eyes an appetizing experience using Core.

Cons:

Change is the only constant. Offering end user of Core inclusivity and engaging in product improvement will enhance significant updates. Select a Core group of users, incentivize and march to the finish line fielding their hands on user experience , constraints and limitations. Polishing and adding new features are the key to user satisfaction.

Markys
Director in UK
Research, 2–10 Employees

BQE CORE for small businesses

Comments: The technical team are superb and the (paid for) training essential to get you up to speed fast. The integration of time/expenses, project setup and control, invoicing and bill payments really good.

Pros:

Time and expenses recording. Invoice creation. Financial planning and reporting.

Cons:

The ability to customise reports is an additional costed service. It is really set up for USA and I had some tricky times making sure I reset up the currency. Also, you need to use 'Purchase Tax' for 'VAT' to make things work as you would expect.

Christine
Accountant in US
Civil Engineering, 11–50 Employees

Easy to use interface, with some room for improvement.

Comments: We've had our hiccups from the start when we decided to migrate from Billquick. The communication has been severely lacking from the start. Several data issues which have still be unresolved, and functionality that varied from BillQuick that we've had to adapt to, even though we were assured that everything that was in BillQuick would be part of CORE. The most significant issue we have though is response time and communication when there is a reported issue or problem. Customer service is readily available to address a new issue, but the resolution is poor.

Pros:

Cloud-based, project performance data, reporting options.

Cons:

We migrated from BQE's Billquick software. There were elements of the migration that went well, and some that did not. It's been over 6 months since migration and I'm still waiting on data issues to be repaired and issues to be resolved.

Bob
Controller in US
Mechanical or Industrial Engineering, 11–50 Employees

9 months into our migration to this new software and still not willing to cut the cord from our current accounting software

Comments: If you are a single division company the migration to this process may be an easier process. But for our seven division business, making the move to BQE has been nothing less than a nightmare. Way more time spent than I expected (which is compounded by the fact that it is time I don't have). The fact that BQE is California based, effects their customer support efforts to those on the east coast ...at least in my experience it has. Be sure to spend a lot of time testing the software before you buy...I made the mistake of buying it based on their sales communications (which you be offered a lot of deals and promotions of the bells and whistles the software has)..I find that it is not easy to use and have found that my clerical support flat out hate using versus our current, more intuitive accounting software.

Pros:

It's easy to get sold on it's capabilities and functionality. Real time dashboards and remote access to timesheets via any electronic device are very nice touches.

Cons:

Despite being told it would be an easy transition, it has not been the case. Software is not nearly as intuitive as current software (QB), for my needs had to buy a report writing software (SAP) which also requires training. First time through with data conversion on four of our company files, two came back incomplete and wrong, one came back with our project structure flipped upside down, and we never got back the fourth file which may be because it was for a Canadian entity and despite being told they know how to handle the tax issues faced in Canada, we did not have that confidence in them, and we have yet to see the first run through of the data conversion three months after uploading the file. Customer support is also not as responsive as I'd like and I would say working with them is just another negative issue

Heather
Architecture & Planning, 11–50 Employees

The automation with the cloud feed is great for accounting

Comments: I just love it. Your support, training, sales people are all really helpful.

Pros:

All of it - we came from a paper, Excel, Filemaker Pro, Timeslips, Quickbooks mess. The automation with the cloud feed is great for accounting. The ePayment option is something I just set up for our company and am looking forward to having clients take advantage of, the project management module helps us track our time and expenses in the project in ways that we could not before. For the first time in our 45 year company history we have a company budget for this year. While I am still learning and looking at how our company can best utilize CORE in all areas, we are definitely benefitting from using it. It has made tracking unpaid invoices much easier, thus making it easier to follow up with clients who we need to receive payment from. We now have a payables system to use, instead of a paper file. I could go on..

Cons:

For a small business, where many approval steps aren't really as necessary, some of these steps become a bit cumbersome. That being said, it does force me to look at the data people are entering and perhaps correct it before things get out of hand too far down the line.

Bhikhu
Accounting Manager in Canada
Health, Wellness & Fitness, 51–200 Employees

BQE review notes

Comments: Nice

Pros:

User interface is good and it is also good that data is on cloud

Cons:

Slow and always buffering, too much time for processing