15 years helping Israeli businesses

About Toast POS

Toast is an all-in-one POS and restaurant management system built to improve efficiency and dramatically cut costs.

Learn more about Toast POS

Pros:

It is a very easy to use app. Allows to manage your orders, track them and most important to deal with online orders.

Cons:

Also, I was actually charged a fee for setting up online ordering when I first got the system.

Toast POS ratings

4.3
3.7
4.1
3.9

7.5/10

Toast POS has an overall rating of 4.2 out 5 stars based on 515 user reviews on Capterra.

Have you used Toast POS before?

Jayelynn
Jayelynn
General Manager in US

Incredibly Efficient!

Comments: Overall, I'm thrilled we switched to Toast. It's simple to use, has made us more efficient, and wasn't as expensive as similar systems.

Pros:

Compared to POS systems I've used in the past, Toast is a lifesaver! It has tremendously improved efficiency and flow of our Taproom. We now have the ability to swipe a card and store credit card information; which is a huge benefit for those of us in co-op spaces. Although they look bulky, their handhelds fit into your back pocket and allow us to close tabs out table side. They are shock and water resistant, plus you can log into more than one device at the same time so if you're working alone, you can close out multiple parties at once. As a GM, I'm grateful that Toast is not only cloud-based, but allows me to access the back end from my laptop or smart phone so I don't have to be onsite to make system changes. Updates are incredibly quick so there's not a ton of down time. There is also Toast Central, where you can troubleshoot issues yourself rather rather than immediately calling Support. They are helpful instructions with screenshots and videos.

Cons:

Customer Support is hit or miss. I always get an answer, it's just a matter of when I get it. After hours and on weekends, I feel like their staffing is very limited which leads to delays in getting immediate help. Thankfully it's only happened once where I needed a quick answer and wasn't able to get it.

5 years ago

Hi Jayelynn, Jasmine from Toast here. Thank you for your feedback. We are thrilled to hear how multiple features of Toast have improved your operations, and that you are taking full advantage of Toast Central as a resource!

Adam
Adam
General Manager in US
Food & Beverages, 11–50 Employees

The system is great! The customer support is not.

Comments: The product is solid. If you are looking for a highly customizable system, Toast is perfect for you. I would recommend that if you make the change to Toast, have a personal resource that is good with technology so you can avoid customer service calls. Some of their add-ons are not worth the trouble, but the core POS system is top-notch!

Pros:

As far as POS systems go, Toast is very user-friendly and highly customizable to your restaurant, bar, or venue. It is easy to set up and when changes need to be made, they are easy to do.

Cons:

If you need customer support to resolve an issue, help with a feature you may be unfamiliar with or network support, Toast is very weak in this area. The customer service reps have minimal knowledge and are running off a script with no actual knowledge of the product. In the event they need to "escalate" your issue, the call is over at that point. The ability to speak with someone with the knowledge to help you with your issue promptly is practically non-existent. DO NOT use Toast Payroll services. They greatly messed up on tax reporting and nearly caused a significant increase in our IRS fees due to their incompetence.

7 months ago

Hi there, thank you for sharing your feedback using Toast. We understand customer support is important and will continue to make strides to improve your experience as a customer. -

Sarah
Food and Beverage Manager in US
Hospitality, 5,001–10,000 Employees

Toast is a Fantastic Product for F&B

4.0 2 months ago New

Pros:

Toast is incredibly easy to use for the front of house, back of house, and the back office. The ease of reporting makes my life so much easier. Utilizing the handheld system helps my staff turn tables faster and make less mistakes.

Cons:

We have a hard time integrating with InforHMS and sometimes the integration with Resy malfunctions. The system upgrades and there is no warning, which can be difficult to navigate at first.

last month

Hi there, thanks for taking the time to leave us a review!

Tim
CEO in US
Restaurants, 11–50 Employees

Disappointed is the right way to say it. Promised so much and did not deliver

Comments: It started off strong, and then just slowly going down hill. They have you locked in is how I feel, and now they don’t care.. They are worried about other things...

Pros:

The hardware is nice. Having a handheld order taker is very nice. Also saving some paper with people signing the handheld device, but there are some issues as well. If there is an issue, it is nice to have a US based support center..

Cons:

Well, You can not add an auto charge of 3% if a person is using a credit card unless you manually add it, the kitchen display has glitches, an order with 5 things will send a text alert for each item rather than the entire order when finished. I was also promised that the credit cards would not cost more, they would match or beet what I had in the past, and that is not ringing true to the tune of around 100 ish a month.... Took 4 months to get someone to finally review the credit card charges only for him to “shine me on” which is frustrating to a business owner. I have also had a few extremely good feature requests that I know other restaurants would use, like using the hand held to present the final bill rather than printing a receipt... But honestly there is no way to know if anyone has herd you, if anything will happen or if anyone cares... Also you can’t have pictures in the POS.. having pictures as well as having descriptions and a recipe would be great.. but no options...

4 years ago

Hi Tim, Mora from Toast here. Thank you for all this feedback, we appreciate hearing from you as we work to continuously improve our product! We do have many great feature ideas in our queue from customers and are constantly working on implementing them. I would encourage you to follow "Feature Release Updates", available on Toast Central (central.toasttab.com). This is where you can find the most up-to-date product release notes for various Toast products.

Don Reno
Don Reno
Marketing Director in US
Hospitality, 2–10 Employees

Horrendous customer service.

Comments: The product was good enough until we experienced an issue that needed support and this is where they dropped the ball entirely. I would not recommend this product for anybody that needs reliable support.

Pros:

The app works well and it's fairly easy to use, although they forced an update recently that made the system worse.

Cons:

We use toast at our Food Truck in Rehoboth Beach, Delaware. We tried integrating doordash into toast and when we visited the shop on Toast it was locked and we were unable to add the integration. After reaching out to our onboarding contact [sensitive content hidden] who was unable to resolve the issue and directed us to Customer Care. After contacting customer care they gave us the runaround yet again ultimately telling us it was not a billing hold but a hold placed by the onboarding team. This hold has persisted now for 5 days with 0 resolution or support from Toast, they have dropped the ball completely on us. We expressed we had an advertisement running for several days that we spent money on to promote that we were on doordash and that money has now been wasted, not to mention the potential sales we have lost. Toast's support has been horrendous. If I knew this was going to be the case we would have never gone with toast.

4 months ago

Hi Don, thank you for sharing your feedback with us. We're sorry to hear that this was your experience. We will be reaching out directly to get this resolved.

Clint
Food & Beverages, 11–50 Employees

Integrates with third party deliveries, horrible back end support.

Comments: Overall, 1-5 we would give it a 2.8. Its good, not great. Expensive for having a few cool features but struggles to do the main meat of what we need it to do at times and when we need to fix an issue they have many complicated ways of fixing it, nothing is straight forward.

Pros:

The ultimate decision of why Toast was because at the time they were one of the only POS that integrated well with third party deliveries For that functionality it has been great and done what we needed it to do included wrapping up our payroll and scheduling into one system.

Cons:

A few things. Toast is extremely complicated to get set up for some reason. Unlike other POS systems we have used in the past they do there PCI compliance through a router rather than through there software. However, you can not use their router for regular internet usage so the restaurant needs static IPs, one for Toast, one for everything else. This has made it so our hardware/infrastructure is extremely complicated and every time we have an issue we have to get our ISP, Toast, and now a IT Consultant involved to solve issues. Very time intensive and expensive. Second, when the system has a disruption or even if you want to make certain changes you have to be at the store using the terminals. The backend is pretty useless and as a owner that doesn't live by my store this is extremely frustrating. When speaking to the reps and going through the demos it is pitched as if you can run and correct items from your house but the reality is you can only do a handful of things that are not impactful. For example, when credit card processing goes down, which happens often with them for some reason, you then have to key in cards (which Toast then charges higher merchant fees to do this) and then you have to get to the store and either wait until your slow or closed to fix the issue for the next day. There is nothing you can do on the backend, customer service can't help you, nope you have to be physically present manually doing everything on your own time with maybe someone on the phone to assist you .

4 months ago

Hi there, thank you for sharing this feedback. We'll be following up directly to learn more on how we can help support you as a customer.

Ashley
Accountant in US
Accounting Software, 2–10 Employees

Toasts to Toast

Pros:

Toast is the easies POS to use from front end to back end. They are the most compatible POS company for restaurants that I've had the experience working with.

Cons:

Toast is growing fast and does seem to make some changes before doing any user research to see how the changes will affect the users who interact with it most. I'm happy to see them grow, but don't lose the user friendliness we all know and love!

6 months ago

Hi Ashley, thanks for taking the time to share your experience using Toast! We encourage you to join our online community at Community.toasttab.com to connect with other restaurant leaders. Hope to see you there!

ROB
Food & Beverages, 11–50 Employees

Over all a good decision

Comments: We are happy, server dig it and we are looking at otherways to see it. SOme of the features like event management or online ordering are too pricey for a small store.

Pros:

Working with toast on the set up was great and easy. As we have grown their support has been solid. Not like other POS we have used in the past.

Cons:

Reporting is eh and needs work...mostly data is there, just not obvious how to get what you need and they have to data dump and email it. Also, menus for serving customers can get a little much drilling sometimes 2-3 levels deep to do an 8 oz brown ale.

6 months ago

Hi Rob, thanks for sharing your experience using Toast.

Sanford
Food & Beverage Personnel, Rental/Repir Technician in US
Sports, 501–1,000 Employees

Have Some Toast With Your Brunch. Or Lunch.

Comments: With over fifteen years of customer service experience covering all types of industries imaginable, the Toast POS software stands out when regraded by it's ease of integration, system set-up and navigation, customization and guest interaction interface. High marks all around and a resounding cheers to Toast's user friendly design.

Pros:

Simple and easy to integrate into my workplace's numerous departments, Toast POS offers a user friendly platform to build an inventory into with the option to edit the information therein whenever required, even in real time when alterations are needed to complete a guest's order. Toast POS has a sharp and clean visual design that utilizes an equally well developed workplace layout sure to please no matter what industry you're part of.

Cons:

A small setback I've noticed is the required input of a guest's name or information to initiate the 'tap to pay' option. There is a button to 'skip' this input, however if guest recall is pertinent to completing an order then the name or number attached to the order is required. I would like to see the guest's digital pay pad screen offer the ability to input a name or number if only to make interactions conclude in a quicker, more proficient manner.

10 months ago

Hi Sanford, Thanks for your positive review. We really appreciate your feedback and are happy to know we're meeting your expectations as a platform. If you haven't already, join our Toast online community at community.toasttab.com. Hope to see you there!

Brayden
Front of House Manager in US

An Amazing Product. State of the Art

5.0 2 months ago New

Comments: Overall has been great. Not many problems with service and it easy to fix and use.

Pros:

It is very easy to use and great for quick service

Cons:

Sometime the handhelds cant disconnect really easily.

last month

Thanks for the 5-star review!!

Matt
Restaurants, 11–50 Employees

Be Prepared for nickel and dimming

Comments: Overall it runs smoothly 90% of the tine with no issues. When there is an issue, good luck getting the resolution you were hoping for and be prepared to get very frustrated with them. Unless you're adding on services to increase your monthly bill, your not important to them anymore. Also the install was a complete joke, do yourself a favor and do the self install and save your money from the start.

Pros:

Very easy to use and make on the fly changes

Cons:

The constant Nickel & Dimming! I have multiple restaurants and its so frustrating that each one has different pricing. I have had toast for over 5 years now and it constantly has changed so much so fast that the customer service line employees have no idea how to get things done. If you power on and off and it does not work you will have to wait for someone to call you back that has higher credentials. Also I have had their special router go out 2x now (funny just a week after warranty both times) and my restaurant could no longer use the POS and they could care less. Its been 1 week and still no replacement. Such a shame their customer service is so bad and it just feels like a money grab at times.

Peggy
IT/Retail Manager in US

Toast POS

Pros:

Software is intuitive and easy to navigate. Customer Service people ramp up quickly.

Cons:

Focused almost exclusively on table service restaurants. Features for quick service need to be enhanced. Improvements need to be made in the area of Order management and Throttling in the Quick Service environment.

Shaz
Restaurants, 11–50 Employees

The Best-In-Class Cloud POS out there!

Pros:

Toast is at the cutting edge of development and understanding of their customers. Their products are always customer-centric and are light years ahead of competition!

Cons:

As with any organization, fast growth means lots to update, but they are handling this well. Support could be better too.

Karin
owner in US
Restaurants, 2–10 Employees

Toast Changed Everything for the Better

Pros:

We started with Toast in 2020 during the pandemic. Toast was the only thing that was good about that year! The integration of the online ordering into our daily or weekly menu updates are seamless. Customers had questions answered and orders filled without our help or guidance. I love the ease of use for service. We have had several new staff members and they pick up the system without too much training. It's easy to transfer tickets and items, cancel sales and give discounts, as well as run all the reports we need for success.

Cons:

I wish there was an app where I could change things, look at reports, and update menus from my phone instead of going through a browser.

Todd
Owner/Operator in US

Toast POS Review

Comments: It has definitely made the data analysis easier which allows us to improve our business.

Pros:

I think it is very user friendly and creates easy to analyze data points.

Cons:

I feel there are some aspects that can be very useful but without taking the time to become an expert I am probably not using it the most effectively. And time is hard to come by.

11 months ago

HI Todd, we appreciate your rating! If you haven't already, join us at community.toasttab.com to connect with other restaurant professionals. See you there!

Tony
GM in US
Restaurants, 501–1,000 Employees

Our company's experience with Toast has been pretty terrible.

Comments: The benefits we have gotten are overshadowed by the drawbacks.

Pros:

The front end functionality is pretty good, though not as good as it was sold. Aloha was better. There are features such as drag and drop table transfers that are pretty neat. Splitting checks is very easy.

Cons:

I researched Toast very thoroughly and went through many hours of Q&A with the sales team. I feel duped. I should have dug deeper and gotten more personal feedback from current users. The platform has certain features that are very good, but not enough to outweigh all of the bad. Hands down the worst part of it are their service and support after the sale. If I ever get through to support, they typically have to call me back with a solution...which never happens. My account "manager" responds to every communication with regurgitated boilerplate BS and has yet to solve any of my issues. We have frequent issues with our card readers, and our warranty period is up in November. They won't replace the crap readers with the newer upgrades. You don't get nearly the functionality and ease of use on the back end that you pay for. The reporting features are weak at best. The inventory module is terrible. They claim you can use the tablets to do inventory...which is true, but it takes 4x longer to do it that way because you can't select the fields to enter the numbers and then when you do, often times the quantities change. My account "manager" replied to my complaints about this with "Our inventory module may not be as robust as you need, maybe you could add on one of our partner software companies." Short story: Run from Toast and never look back. I regret the move every single day.

6 years ago

Tony - We're sorry to hear that Toast has not lived up to your expectations. Hardware reliability and support responsiveness are top priorities for us. We recently covered our plan for staffing and additional resources in the Live Q&A with Toast Leadership (watch it here: https://central.toasttab.com/s/article/Webinars-Toast-Leadership). Please note that this video requires a Toast login. We're committed to making your experience with Toast a positive one. Your Restaurant Success Manager is not a technical expert, but is there to advocate on your behalf. She will work with you to ensure you get what you need out of our product.

Elizabeth
manager in US
Restaurants, 11–50 Employees

I have gone from recommending TOAST to experiencing extreme frustration w/ terrible customer service

Comments: Additional CONS that didn't fit in the above box:
*Unable to offer discounts for particular items online. Let's say you want to promote a particular food item that week and want to offer 50% off that item ONLY...can't do it. You can discount the ENTIRE check or offer a BOGO, but no way to discount specific items.
*Can't use APPLE devices with Toast, only Android
*Unable to have a popup or a visible way to notify a customer of something when online ordering. For example, sorry, but we are out of this item or here's how we are doing curbside pickup, etc. There is only a teeny, tiny way to notify guests with a small banner atop your page that no one sees. (but Toast is happy to have their popup promoting their app on your restaurant page.)
*Toast App promotes all business, not just your personal restaurant so if you advise your guests to download it, they might be tempted by other restaurants they see when logging in.
*Toast's NEW online ordering has a complicated drop down menu that causes guests to struggle. If you have a drink menu, an alcohol menu, a breakfast menu, etc. then the guest has to find a small dropdown and toggle between the menus to complete her order. 1. She man never see the drop down, think menu is quite limited & the restaurant loses revenue. 2. She may find the drop down but has to toggle

Pros:

*user friendly *online reporting accessible from anywhere *online food ordering *easy to add menu items

Cons:

*excessive hold times to reach support, ie: more than one hour and no way to email support anymore (as was the previous system.) *no way to reach support via email, even when Toast emails a restaurant, the restaurant can't reply because the email gets bounced back...instead you have to get off email, find a computer, log in and navigate to support, find the case and respond there. This is a big problem when managers are not on site at the restaurant but still managing a support issue. *support cases opened on their online platform are not addressed and no one calls restaurant to resolve *No way to email a receipt to a guest until AFTER they have paid and the transaction is over...a big problem for CATERING needing preapproval. *Upsell feature with online ordering has Toast making strange pairings. For example, the restaurant guest orders a breakfast sandwich and Toast suggest an upsell of a bottle of salad dressing (instead of a breakfast side)! Only Toast can control the upsell so the restaurant can't promote the items it wants to promote. *Handheld device does NOT support ApplePay. *ApplePay on POS terminal is additional. Actually, a lot of things with Toast cost more money than what sales tells you up front. *No way to comp a gift card online and email it to a guest from Toast Central online. *No way to offer a promo code on your online gift card sales....like during the holidays when you want to offer gift cards for a certain percentage off the regular price.

4 years ago

Hi Elizabeth, Mora from Toast here. I'm sorry this has been a frustrating experience. The process for applying relief credit does involve multiple internal teams, so thank you for working with our Customer Care team to resolve this. We have been investing in growing our Customer Care team to address the concerns of our community, but we recognize that we still have work to do. Thank you for this feedback, it's helpful to hear what areas need improvement.

Kelly
Director of Operations in US
Hospitality, 11–50 Employees

Satisfied user

Pros:

The online access is the most important. Being able to make changes in real time with no service interruptions.

Cons:

I wish I could process payments for customers on the desktop version. Same for gift cards sales.

10 months ago

Hi Kelly, thanks for the positive review and for sharing your feedback. Join our online community at community.toasttab.com to connect with other restaurant leaders and get support from the Toast team.

Mahesh
GM in US

Best POS with Most Half Baked Features and Worst Support

Pros:

- Easy installation - Easy to use - Suitable for small businesses with doesn't offer delivery services

Cons:

- Worst support - Not suitable for Pizza restaurants - Doesn't offer half and half toppings option - Online ordering doesn't provide any protection against disputes - Every module is an additional charge(online ordering, mobile order and pay, marketing, API, integrations, kiosk, kitchen display system, multi location modules) - Reporting doesn't differentiate between overtime and double time pay - Discounts based on dining options are not available(Discounts can not be set only for take out orders - all the discounts are valid on all type(take out & delivery) order ) - Online ordering page doesn't provide required picture specs(like resolution and aspect ratio). Pictures won't be optimized at all to make the online ordering page faster. - Unable to customize location picker page - They claim that they are the payment processors but fail to take responsibility or help with disputes - Once a restaurant is live its hard to get resolution for any issue(imagine even with 9 restaurant we struggled more than ever)

Michelle

Why I chose Toast

Comments: With now being in business a full year now, I have and I still am learning pro and cons of doing business. I have worked in restaurants but I have never been on the manager/owner side and it's not as easy as you think it is. When running your own business for the most part you are on your own! I sat down with a computer tech to figure out the best POS system for my business. There are SO many out there and being unfamiliar with them a lot of research was done! I attended the Gordon Food Show a month before we opened and I got to see first hand how Toast worked. I was very impressed with the system and how easy it looked to operate (remember I've never been on this side of the business) and we had decided to work 100% with Gordon Food Service because of their support and looking at our best interest for starting our business. Now a year later, I could't imagine being with another POS system so no regrets here on choosing Toast for our POS!

Pros:

Customer Support! - I rate them 100 on this!! Any questions I have big or small, they are just a phone call away! If my call isn't answered right away or I get busy, they have the feature to leave your number and they will call you back ASAP. Customer Service - Being a tech and answering some of the crazy questions (I'm one who probably has the most) they are always patient, friendly and very professional when answering questions.

Cons:

Credit Card Processing Fees - With other Processing companies out there some are cheaper but overall with Toast, they win. It's the hidden fees you have to watch. Toast fees appear to be higher but what you see is what you get where with the other guys you have to read the fine print.

Restaurants, 2–10 Employees

Horrible customer service

Comments: Horrible, sales rep, upper management & customer care is a joke. On [SENSITIVE CONTENT], my terminal broke and they said they would over night another one it took three weeks , which really hurt our business , and frustrated our employees, that are hard to come by right now. The terminal they sent had no protective material around it and it arrived broken , waited another week for a new one, NOW 4 WEEKS with out a terminal. I needed to send back the original broken terminal but they never sent me a label. I had no idea where they wanted it send, it took 6 phone calls, one call I was on hold for 53 minutes all phone calls took at least 30 minutes of my time retelling the story and how I JUST NEEDED A RETURN LABEL<,also dozens of emails (their customer care email NO responded) at long last today I received an email [SENSITIVE CONTENT] from FED EX with a label to print.No email from Toast, so I am assuming this label is to return my broken terminal ,by the way they are billing me for the unreturned terminal $1400.00 which has sat on my desk since August.I would love noting more then to send it back to them and get it off my desk. TOAST "customer CARE "is about as bad as it gets. I do not recommend this company . The day to day POS works fine, most of the time but if you need help you will be forgotten and your business will feel the pain . Remember it took us 4 weeks to get a new POS terminal and months to return the broken one only because they would not send a label.

Pros:

The software is fine, works like most others

Cons:

The software is fine, works like most others

Rachel
freelance in US

Great POS for restaurants

Comments: After over a year the restaurant is still super happy with the switch

Pros:

I was hired to help customize, train, and implement this new software at a friends restaurant. I have worked with a few different POS systems and this was by far the most user friendly. Easy to customize their menus and check preferences. Easy to update if we figured out how we originally entered in an item needed to be changed. Cloud based so when not on sight I was able to fix remotely when not at the restaurant. Also the handheld option is great for taking orders and splitting checks on the fly. Also were able to implement gift cards with the new system.

Cons:

No real cons. The only downside was the initial few days after switching for the staff to get used to it.

4 years ago

Hi Rachel, Mora from Toast here. We're thrilled to hear that you've found Toast simple to teach and easy to update. Thanks for the review!

Mark

Lacking in customer service

Pros:

User friendly and efficient. That pretty much sums it up but they said my response was too short.

Cons:

Many additional charges after purchase Reports cannot be easily pulled for long date ranges LACKING IN CUSTOMER SUPPORT

Larry
GM/Owner in US

Toast at FCD

Comments: Toast takes the guess work out of what's moving and what's not, who is producing and who isn't. Tips tell me if my server is worth keeping. I have been satisfied with them overall.

Pros:

The analytics and reporting are fantastic. Getting Toast go's for your servers allowed me to cut back on server staff and the servers make more money because they can turn 3 times as many tables

Cons:

Their set up map for delivery is garbage, if you plan on having delivery go with a different system. They have been telling me for 3 years they are going to upgrade and instead we have 3rd party integration with delivery services which are way over priced.

Mike

Toast versus others

Pros:

Toast is a simple to use and even easier to train POS platform for all restaurants. Setting up menus and editing are both quick and easy and can be done for multiple restaurants at the same time.

Cons:

Some of the reports have a time constant that you can run them for, like 6 months, would prefer to be able to run full year sales reports or more if needed.