About Toast POS

Toast is an all-in-one POS and restaurant management system built to improve efficiency and dramatically cut costs.

Learn more about Toast POS

Pros:

It is a very easy to use app. Allows to manage your orders, track them and most important to deal with online orders.

Cons:

Also, I was actually charged a fee for setting up online ordering when I first got the system.

Toast POS ratings

4.3
3.8
4.0
3.8

7.4/10

Toast POS has an overall rating of 4.1 out 5 stars based on 295 user reviews on Capterra.

Product Rating

Product Rating

Countries

Countries

Usage

Sort by

Have you used Toast POS before?

Jayelynn W.
Jayelynn W.
General Manager in US

Incredibly Efficient!

5 2 years ago

Comments: Overall, I'm thrilled we switched to Toast. It's simple to use, has made us more efficient, and wasn't as expensive as similar systems.

Pros:

Compared to POS systems I've used in the past, Toast is a lifesaver! It has tremendously improved efficiency and flow of our Taproom. We now have the ability to swipe a card and store credit card information; which is a huge benefit for those of us in co-op spaces. Although they look bulky, their handhelds fit into your back pocket and allow us to close tabs out table side. They are shock and water resistant, plus you can log into more than one device at the same time so if you're working alone, you can close out multiple parties at once. As a GM, I'm grateful that Toast is not only cloud-based, but allows me to access the back end from my laptop or smart phone so I don't have to be onsite to make system changes. Updates are incredibly quick so there's not a ton of down time. There is also Toast Central, where you can troubleshoot issues yourself rather rather than immediately calling Support. They are helpful instructions with screenshots and videos.

Cons:

Customer Support is hit or miss. I always get an answer, it's just a matter of when I get it. After hours and on weekends, I feel like their staffing is very limited which leads to delays in getting immediate help. Thankfully it's only happened once where I needed a quick answer and wasn't able to get it.

2 years ago

Hi Jayelynn, Jasmine from Toast here. Thank you for your feedback. We are thrilled to hear how multiple features of Toast have improved your operations, and that you are taking full advantage of Toast Central as a resource!

IT Manager in US
Consumer Goods, 11-50 Employees

Toast--Support when you need it.

5 3 years ago

Comments: We are still early in the implementation of using Toast, but thus far I have been very impressed with their customer service and professional manner in which they have trained and supported our company.

Pros:

I love that Toast supports their product. You can call and get someone on the line that will help you answer your questions. They also provide the hardware necessary to run their software. They are constantly updating their software to meet the needs of their users and are staying current with the technology. One option that is particularly useful to us is printing individual labels for each shake. In other words, we could have a bus of individuals come to our restaurant, and we need to print individual labels on each shake to identify what is in the shake so that it gets to the right person. In the past, we had to individually write on each cup.

Cons:

The most difficult part to swallow is the fact that you have a monthly payment for the software--even if you are a seasonal business and only open for less than half the year. Toast will make some concessions for that, but it still seems costly since our other solution we used was free and pretty much did everything we needed short of printing individual labels for the shakes.

Mattt B.
owner in US
Restaurants, 51-200 Employees

The functionality is perfect, the credit cards fees and the customer service are terrible

5 2 weeks ago New

Comments: great when your buying, lots of turnover in account management, and customer service is non existent when you have a real issue... you just have to deal with it until they decide to call you during your rush, so you can't take the call and then you start all over again.. LOL

Pros:

functionality. We have used for 10 years about, since they started I guess we are early adopters. It has truly developed into a great pos, with lots of flexibility. The online ordering portal is second to none. Though they should have some features, like car color and make type options.

Cons:

Credit card fees for card not on hand is exorbitant and you can't use other cc companies with this software/tablet. The customer service might be the worst I have ever experienced. "we will escalate this to tier 2" blah, blah, blah.. hilarious. We have a mountain of open cases. Our first pos was with a local guy who built his own software. It was incredible how flexible the software was. It even downloaded directly into our quickbooks without any third party having to do translation. Amazing!! ultimately he retired and never took the software to the next level. Too bad.

Restaurants, 2-10 Employees

Horrible customer service

3 2 months ago New

Comments: Horrible, sales rep, upper management & customer care is a joke. On [SENSITIVE CONTENT], my terminal broke and they said they would over night another one it took three weeks , which really hurt our business , and frustrated our employees, that are hard to come by right now. The terminal they sent had no protective material around it and it arrived broken , waited another week for a new one, NOW 4 WEEKS with out a terminal. I needed to send back the original broken terminal but they never sent me a label. I had no idea where they wanted it send, it took 6 phone calls, one call I was on hold for 53 minutes all phone calls took at least 30 minutes of my time retelling the story and how I JUST NEEDED A RETURN LABEL<,also dozens of emails (their customer care email NO responded) at long last today I received an email [SENSITIVE CONTENT] from FED EX with a label to print.No email from Toast, so I am assuming this label is to return my broken terminal ,by the way they are billing me for the unreturned terminal $1400.00 which has sat on my desk since August.I would love noting more then to send it back to them and get it off my desk. TOAST "customer CARE "is about as bad as it gets. I do not recommend this company . The day to day POS works fine, most of the time but if you need help you will be forgotten and your business will feel the pain . Remember it took us 4 weeks to get a new POS terminal and months to return the broken one only because they would not send a label.

Pros:

The software is fine, works like most others

Cons:

The software is fine, works like most others

Denise G.
General Manager in US
Restaurants, 201-500 Employees

Great Resource for Restaurant Management

5 4 months ago

Comments: Overall happy with the product and will likely continue to be as they are forever growing, expanding, and adding in relevant new services frequently.

Pros:

Toast has been a serious upgrade to our establishment. It is very user friendly and operates off a more "in the times" type of software than some other very outdated POS systems. All of their staff is friendly. The third party integrations are endless and offer something for all kinds of businesses. Online ordering and the ability to have an unofficial doordash partnership is very helpful and easy to use.

Cons:

Support is not always the most efficient or informative. We often find where they simply cannot help us during odd inquiries or glitches, or we get multiple answers from different people. We also would like to see toast work on a table management and waitlist system that is actually functional for the restaurant. Currently, they offer third party table management integrations, but we have done trials with a few and none have quite what we are looking for.

Charles G.
Operations Manager in US
Food & Beverages, 51-200 Employees

An Affordable Alternative to Aloha and Micros

4 last year

Comments: A perfect system for a small restaurant with a lot of very handy features. They are extremely flexible with pricing options.

Pros:

TOAST is a solid point of sale system available for a very reasonable price. Adding, editing and removing menu items can be done quickly and remotely. Printer routing and other back of house set up is a breeze. Customer service staff is well trained and very reliable.

Cons:

Not really designed for large scale/ high volume operations. KDS screens have some issues.

Matt A.
Restaurants, 11-50 Employees

Be Prepared for nickel and dimming

2 5 months ago

Comments: Overall it runs smoothly 90% of the tine with no issues. When there is an issue, good luck getting the resolution you were hoping for and be prepared to get very frustrated with them. Unless you're adding on services to increase your monthly bill, your not important to them anymore. Also the install was a complete joke, do yourself a favor and do the self install and save your money from the start.

Pros:

Very easy to use and make on the fly changes

Cons:

The constant Nickel & Dimming! I have multiple restaurants and its so frustrating that each one has different pricing. I have had toast for over 5 years now and it constantly has changed so much so fast that the customer service line employees have no idea how to get things done. If you power on and off and it does not work you will have to wait for someone to call you back that has higher credentials. Also I have had their special router go out 2x now (funny just a week after warranty both times) and my restaurant could no longer use the POS and they could care less. Its been 1 week and still no replacement. Such a shame their customer service is so bad and it just feels like a money grab at times.

VP Marketing in US

Learning curve

4 3 years ago

Comments: decent, not thrilled

Pros:

There are a lot of features and functionality with Toast, how to use them is another thing

Cons:

Not very intuitive to use. Also i have not been able to get ahold of customer service

2 years ago

Hi there, Jasmine from Toast here. If you're having trouble reaching Toast Support over the phone, log on to Toast Central to chat with them live during business hours. This is also where you can find Toast University, a library of all the training courses you need to be successful with Toast!

Jeff I.
Jeff I.
Chef and Kitchen Manager in US
Food & Beverages, 2-10 Employees

So Great to Have Everything Consolidated

5 2 years ago

Comments: Overall I think after a lot of research and a couple of trials Toast seemed to be the best option as a long-term solution. I believe it can grow with us over the years.

Pros:

One stop shop plug and play solution! I was not interested in having to switch between systems and wanted easy reporting across the business.

Cons:

Takes a while to learn all the functionality but worth it once learned. Although it’s not a problem with the software itself, either a better hard copy training manual or disk would be helpful.

2 years ago

Hi Jeff, Jasmine from Toast here. We're thrilled to hear you are enjoying your all-in-one, Toast POS System! For helpful training material, encourage you to refer to Toast Central at https://central.toasttab.com/s/.

William M.
Director of Operations in US

Toast is NOT worth it

3 last month New

Comments: Started well but ended terribly. Called last week to see if they wanted to keep our business. They did not get back to us. We will now likely be switching to Spot On.

Pros:

Originally, it was easy to use and had novel technologies. We were one of the first companies to adopt the platform in Chicago.

Cons:

The handhelds and computers are always going off-line. Their switching of security systems left us off-line for days and took out other software and programs that weren't even toast related. We lost THOUSANDS of dollars. However, that isn't the worst part of Toast. If you go with them as currently constituted, their restaurant support will become the bane of your existence. Long waits. No help. They will "escalate" the case and no one will ever get back to you. It is absolutely miserable.

Business/Hospitality Consultant in US
Hospitality, 5,001-10,000 Employees

I'd give it a 10 but then it would be perfect!

4 last year

Comments: Overall, I really enjoy the system. It's simple to program and they have a great support system. It's worth the investment to pay for extended support until you or a manager has the ins and outs of the backend in hand. The reporting is awesome and when used the right way, you have your answers to questions you didn't even know you needed to ask.

Pros:

I have been using restaurant POS for over 20 years and Toast has shown itself to be one of the best on the market. It is so user-friendly and easy to work in, including the handhelds, that it's amazing. In training new teams they offer a great program and support team. The layout is ideal for high-volume. Reporting is excellent. I refer Toast to most of our clients.

Cons:

As with any new system you install, there will be issues and "clunks." Toast is no exception. The worst was the display screen and the use of it on the line. If you do not set aside enough time to train, prior to opening or first use, it will be challenging to understand, especially if you are not used to systems other than tickets and calling out. It just takes time getting used to and working out the kinks upon install.

last year

Hi there, Mora from Toast here. It's great to hear that your positive experiences with Customer Care have enabled you to efficiently train up new team members. Thank you for providing this feedback!

Valentina C.
Food & Beverages, 2-10 Employees

Beware of their promises

4 2 years ago

Comments: After 6 months, I am not impressed. I am spending so much more money than I was before, and put in so much effort and time into setting everything up, but nothing is ever on point with Toast.

Pros:

Nice features and ways to set up the menu for ease of use by employees. User-friendly up to a certain extent.

Cons:

Most of the features promised by the sales rep were all available at an extra cost, after paying a lot of money already for the system and the hardware, you have to pay extra for EVERYTHING. Their customer support is very unreliable, sometimes you have someone great who knows exactly what you are talking about, sometimes it seems like the person has never even used the POS before... They put you on hold for 10+ minutes at a time too.

2 years ago

Hi Valentina, Jasmine from Toast here. We greatly appreciate your feedback as we strive to provide best-in-class customer support and offer solutions for all of our customers. We encourage you to reach out to your Restaurant Success Manager so we can help your business thrive on Toast.

Michelle T.
Owner in

Why I chose Toast

5 5 years ago

Comments: With now being in business a full year now, I have and I still am learning pro and cons of doing business. I have worked in restaurants but I have never been on the manager/owner side and it's not as easy as you think it is. When running your own business for the most part you are on your own! I sat down with a computer tech to figure out the best POS system for my business. There are SO many out there and being unfamiliar with them a lot of research was done! I attended the Gordon Food Show a month before we opened and I got to see first hand how Toast worked. I was very impressed with the system and how easy it looked to operate (remember I've never been on this side of the business) and we had decided to work 100% with Gordon Food Service because of their support and looking at our best interest for starting our business. Now a year later, I could't imagine being with another POS system so no regrets here on choosing Toast for our POS!

Pros:

Customer Support! - I rate them 100 on this!! Any questions I have big or small, they are just a phone call away! If my call isn't answered right away or I get busy, they have the feature to leave your number and they will call you back ASAP. Customer Service - Being a tech and answering some of the crazy questions (I'm one who probably has the most) they are always patient, friendly and very professional when answering questions.

Cons:

Credit Card Processing Fees - With other Processing companies out there some are cheaper but overall with Toast, they win. It's the hidden fees you have to watch. Toast fees appear to be higher but what you see is what you get where with the other guys you have to read the fine print.

Theo K.
Owner in US

Toast is really a great system easy & saves time. Problems false promises from sales rep & cc fees

5 4 years ago

Pros:

That is super user friendly. Fast and overall a great system. Seriously aside from what I write in the CON section. Toast REALLY is the best software POS system I have worked with. Hands down.

Cons:

The credit card processing fees they initially promise you they can match your current rates which they DO NOT its a LIE. Then customer service never gets back to you or passes you on to someone else then someone else and someone else. Never follow through with their promises and never can get ahold of your sales rep and he doesn't reply or follow through when you finally do get him on phone. Beware they will not match your credit card rate like they promise you. They will overcharge you if you don't watch exactly what they are taking out of you bank account. You will get charged for modules they say they will " give you for x amount of months free" and then continue getting charged and have to wait months and months and make a million phone calls to try and get your money back for 'free trials they charged you for and your money back for when you told them you didn't want them at all after "free trail" and they continue charging you. Biggest advice is get your credit card rates in clear upfront writing and sit down and figure it out. Make sure they are not screwing you. Because its not only happened to us but several other businesses.

Toast Tab Response

4 years ago

Hi Theo - It's great to hear that Toast has saved you time and made the business more efficient. We strive to make merchant processing as transparent and straightforward as possible. It's great advice to discuss rates upfront and get the clear rate breakdown. Please work with our Support team to address your concerns. We want to find a solution that works for you.

Rachel B.
freelance in US

Great POS for restaurants

5 2 years ago

Comments: After over a year the restaurant is still super happy with the switch

Pros:

I was hired to help customize, train, and implement this new software at a friends restaurant. I have worked with a few different POS systems and this was by far the most user friendly. Easy to customize their menus and check preferences. Easy to update if we figured out how we originally entered in an item needed to be changed. Cloud based so when not on sight I was able to fix remotely when not at the restaurant. Also the handheld option is great for taking orders and splitting checks on the fly. Also were able to implement gift cards with the new system.

Cons:

No real cons. The only downside was the initial few days after switching for the staff to get used to it.

2 years ago

Hi Rachel, Mora from Toast here. We're thrilled to hear that you've found Toast simple to teach and easy to update. Thanks for the review!

Anang M.
Restaurants, 11-50 Employees

Glad we selected this solution

5 2 years ago

Comments: Very pleased with our decision to replace our old solution with Toast.

Pros:

Very feature rich with a robust online delivery platform that seamlessly integrates with the POS solution. Synchronization is almost immediate and we have seen a huge increase in online ordering already. The self service kiosk was easy to setup and has a great look and feel

Cons:

Overwhelming and we have barely begun to turn on all the other features - customer loyalty, customer feedback, delivery and so on.

2 years ago

Hi Anang, Jasmine from Toast here. We're thrilled to hear you have been driving online orders with Toast Digital Ordering as well as enjoying Toast Kiosk. We hope you will soon be able to take advantage of everything Toast has to offer! Please refer to Toast Central at https://central.toasttab.com/s/ for best practices and educational material while you get rolling.

Chris P.
Restaurants, 2-10 Employees

No support

4 last week New

Comments: Overall the customer service is the problem. We were a new business so we asked them to help us set it up. Obviously all of our questions did not arise during that initial setup and they never properly set it up for our menu/service. Support was a joke in helping us thereafter. We have not even used all the modules out of frustration. We have had to make adjustments we go , but it is still not optimized after 3 years. We wanted this to work for us because it is such an easy to use and adjust platform, but, we are considering a new company after 3 years. If you are a new business and not sure how to set this up, find another company. The support team is clearly not skilled. There will be issues. They will advise you to watch countless videos. That is not support.

Pros:

Relatively easy to use if set up properly. Easy to adjust menu on the fly. Offline CC processing. Payroll is responsive.

Cons:

They do not give you the time of day unless they are trying to sell you something. Waste of money paying them to set it up. We can't even get good support using a free trial of their new service modules . They will just tell you how much this will increase your sales.

Chelsea H.
Chelsea H.
HR Assistant in US
Hospitality, 11-50 Employees

One of the most user friendly POS systems!

4 2 years ago

Comments: After about a year of use, Toast has proven to be one of the most trustworthy and reliable POS systems. With it's integration with Hot Schedules, it has made scheduling and payroll tracking a breeze. Highly recommended to restaurants looking for a change in POS software!

Pros:

- User friendly - Intuitive - Fantastic customer support - Self updating - Good price - Integrated with most scheduling platforms

Cons:

There's not much I dislike about Toast. With that said, it can be a bit glitchy at times. It's also a relatively new company, so some of the functions haven't quite been worked out perfectly yet.

2 years ago

Hi Chelsea, Mora from Toast here. We're so glad to hear Toast's Integrations are helping enable your restaurant to thrive! We pride ourselves in building an intuitive, easy-to-use platform. Thank you for your feedback, we always appreciate the opportunity to improve our product.

Ann S.
Director of Communications and Development in US
Wine & Spirits, 11-50 Employees

Toast POS has everything you could want in a POS system!

5 3 years ago

Comments: Toast is easy to use which makes training new employees a breeze. We rarely experience issues with Toast, but if we do, customer service is very attentive and solves the problem quickly. I don't have any bad things to say about the POS system or the Toast team!

Pros:

The inventory feature on Toast has revolutionized the way we track our products. Being able to enter recipes, add invoices, track waste, etc. - and do it all in one place - is awesome. And the fact that it is all so easy and user friendly is just a bonus!

Cons:

We receive a sales report from Toast each morning, which is great. It would be nice if in this email there were a few specific reports that were pushed to you, as opposed to having to click "full report" and pick and choose what you'd like to view on the website. For example: weekly sales summary, hourly sales, payroll detail, etc.

2 years ago

Hi Ann, Jasmine from Toast here. I'm thrilled to hear about how Toast Inventory has made an impact on your operations! We appreciate your feedback on the daily sales report, thanks for the review.

Sky C.
Cook in US

Toast POS

5 last year

Comments: Very good Despite the few technical difficulties that occur at times .

Pros:

This POS system is much more advanced compared to others I have used prior. There are many options for inputting whichever items and functions are needed within your business. The overall appearance of this software is much nicer. I also enjoy how user access changes with position ranking, and verification can be implemented for certain features which helps to deter possible theft or misuse. The sales reports are also extremely thorough . Overall, this is a great pos system for all occupancy levels.

Cons:

There have a been a few issues with the connection dropping/printer not receiving orders despite our internet working fine. This has caused quite a few times of commotion due to our high volume occupancy levels which left our kitchen backed up for at least 30 minutes to an hour depending on how fast customer service could resolve the issue. Of course since it is an app it will be prone to crashes, but it is extremely inconvenient when it happens during a rush.

Jill T.
Manager / Bartender in US

Daily Toast POS User

5 2 years ago

Comments: I find it to be a simple platform that is very user friendly.

Pros:

I enjoy how many items can be displayed throughout the system within endless categories. It is very simple to edit the spelling of a product, the price or the quantity you have remaining. Adding more products is just as easy and for the food and bar industry we all know how many modifications guests request (and you can never have that many buttons), so the "special request" option, which allows you to type and charge whatever you would like below a certain item ordered is a lifesaver.

Cons:

It is frustrating that Toast categorizes every product alphabetically. Additionally, our company has had better credit processing company offers but we are locked into Toast's credit processing and higher fees.

2 years ago

Hi Jill, Mora from Toast here. We're thrilled to hear Toast's menu options have made entering orders a more simple and efficient process for your team. I would like to suggest the "Item Order" section of the article "Menu Items", available on Toast Central (central.toasttab.com) for guided instruction on customizing the order of your menu items.

Lindsay M.
Shiftleader in US
Restaurants, 501-1,000 Employees

Not the best, not the worst

4 3 years ago

Comments: Overall my experience is indifferent. While I am occasionally irritated with this system other days it functions fine but overall it is still mediocre. I would recommend it to someone with a strong encouragement of researching the program to see if it is the best system for your business.

Pros:

Toast POS system has a VERY short list of pros from my time using it in my restaurant. One of the only pros is the easy-to-read menu set up. While There are not many features or anything about the system that I found unique or helpful, there are not to many bad elements that stand out either. It is a simple and mediocre system.

Cons:

The biggest con of this program to me is the ridiculous amount of time it takes the systems to download and log on, not just first thing in the morning but periodically throughout the day. There are also issues with set times and online orders being updated because all systems must sync variously throughout the day as well. The system is not user friendly or easy to use right away and takes more time getting use to than past systems I have used.

3 years ago

Hi Lindsay- thank you for your feedback. We may be able to help troubleshoot the loading issue you are having. Please work with Toast Support by calling (617) 682-0225, or log on to Toast Central to chat with them live.

SEO Digital Marketing Analyst (Remote) in US

One of the most intuitive POS systems I have encountered

5 3 years ago

Comments: When I began using Toast there was fear of a learning curve however I immediately adapted to it as it seemingly was designed by the professionals in the industry who use it. Everything is where it needs to be and it is incredibly easy to train new employees on the system even without previous experience working with a POS system.

Pros:

Very intuitive user interface Incredibly easy to pick up and go with previous POS system knowledge Very responsive clicks Great organization tools for menu options Split check function is much easier to use than other systems Credit card transaction time is very fast

Cons:

Training entire staff over to a new POS Other than the cost of training and time for adaptation there is no reason this POS should not be ranked alongside the industry standards like Aloha and Micros

3 years ago

Hi there, Jasmine from Toast here. It¿s great to hear that Toast is helping your restaurant become more efficient and that it is easy to use and integrate into your restaurant. We are glad some of our features, like the split check function and quick credit card transaction, are helping your operations. We're excited to continue to help you to thrive!

Heather M.
Heather M.
Co-Owner in US
Restaurants, 51-200 Employees

Toast is a modern and still growing POS and restaurant management product

5 3 years ago

Comments: Toast has helped us organize and stay nimble through aggressive company growth. Looking forward to the next period with Toast where we adopt their HR, payroll, and scheduling features.

Pros:

Toast allows users to log on to its website to edit menu items, run reports, track punch-in's. In the past, POS systems were loaded into desktops in the back office. It's so refreshing to update, edit, and from anywhere because it's based off a website. The devices that Toast has selected for installation in the restaurants are modern, slim, and highly functional.

Cons:

Toast can slow down, which isn't good news when the restaurant is busy. The sales tracking is still not as robust as I would hope from a product that does so much else so well. For instance, it can be hard to get results on the sales of a menu item for an entire year.

3 years ago

Hi Heather, Jasmine from Toast here. I'm thrilled to hear you are seeing the benefits of a cloud-based software and enjoy our hardware. We also look forward to continuing to work with you and helping your restaurant thrive!

Dave S.
Partner in US
Restaurants, 11-50 Employees

Toast is the only option for POS

5 2 years ago

Comments: My overall experience has been nothing short of amazing. I wish I switched to Toast long before I did.

Pros:

Toast offers the simplest POS interface I've ever used, if you can work an iPhone or iPad, you'll be flying through this system with no issues.

Cons:

I really don't have anything to say negatively about Toast, at first I was worried about the learning curve, but that was practically non existent.