• Overall
    3.7 /5
    3.7 /5
  • Customer Service Software
    3.3 /5

About Act!

Act! makes it easy for businesses to grow, delivering proven CRM and powerful emarketing, the ultimate toolset.

Learn more about Act!

Jonathan W.
Area Sales Manager
Machinery, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 31/05/2019

"Act! in the workplace"

Comments: This new version is similar in operation to my previous version, which is always a bonus, not having to learn a new system.

Pros: I have used Act for many years, and I find it most useful for keeping track of my customer base, and setting reminders of calling people. Some of our projects can extend into years, so being able to remember to contact someone is most important.

Cons: This new version has lost some of the crispness of the text.

• Reviewed on 31/05/2019
Muge S.
paralegal
Legal Services, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 07/05/2020

"Was not that impressed with ACT"

Comments: It is a good software to keep client records and personal information. It is also a secure system for confidential information which helps keep law firms secure. However, the software needs more improvements to prevent glitches and improve daily use.

Pros: ACT has a lot of features that compliment a mid-size law firm's needs. Easy to set up and adapt for new users

Cons: ACT's software glitches frequently when you transfer from one client to another. Furthermore it is not able to keep records of user's comments which consequently make the users work harder and maintaining their daily tasks more difficult .

• Reviewed on 07/05/2020
Cheryl W.
  • Reviewed on 09/08/2016

"Dashed Hopes"

Pros: I very much appreciate the degree of customizability of fields. This allows relevance for the type of data I need to collect, store and utilize.

Cons: I started with ACT! when they first opened and used them for many years. Developed a whole recruiting "database" because of customizability, but the program was a memory and speed hog. Took a 5-year, personal sabbatical, then signed up for free trial. I have never had so many difficulties with any software program as I have with ACT! I had expected great new developments, but found that the cloud-based program conflicted with my preferred browsers; the computer-based program was very unstable, with constant errors, shut-downs, and functions that were just not working properly. It has gotten increasingly unstable. Also, today it is necessary for a CRM to be compatible with other marketing programs. The ACT! 18 has very little compatibility. A minimum requirement for it's touted e-mail marketing program is that it would be compatible with gmail - it is not. My hopes of using this program have been dashed - I'm so disappointed!

• Reviewed on 09/08/2016
Darryl H.
Management Consulting, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 05/01/2017

"Act! is the Best!"

Comments: 1st of all Act! customer, service is off the charts great. Always so friendly and helpful. I have been using ACT! for over 20 years. We always hear of the flashy shiny new competitors on the market. I have found the Act! to do everything I wanted to do and it's ability to be programmed to do anything else we need.... That's all I need.

Pros: Fast ... features always work.... dependable.

Cons: Nothing wrong that Act isn't working on. I wish the hosted version was a little more flexible.... but that is just personal and visual wishes for me.

• Reviewed on 05/01/2017
Wesley W.
Director Business Operations
  • Reviewed on 22/05/2018

"Awesome integration with other apps."

Pros: I'm able to integrate with MS Outlook, and sync within my Ipad and Google phone. Your costumer support is awesome with it's followup and addressing and any issues I may have. Deserves more than 5 stars!

Cons: Software pricing is becoming an issue as less expensive models are out there that competes with Act. Need to consider reduction pricing for those loyal customers like myself since 2006. Needs to come up with a better less tedious way of merging contact duplicates.

• Reviewed on 22/05/2018
Bruce W.
Chairman and CEO
Investment Banking, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 26/09/2018

"Long time Act user 20+ years"

Comments: We put a local copy on each of their computers and sync to the master database. Since our equipment needed an upgrade I signed up for a trial of the newest cloud based system. It did not work, would not load on our trial computers and was totally unreliable. I called customer service who took DAYS to get back to me, and by then, we had pulled it off the test machines. We have 64000 contacts, and the Act Consultants tell us that is sketchy to transfer that many contacts to the newer systems. I am stuck with the older software, but that's ok, it works flawlessly.

Pros: None that I can think of...over our old ACT versions.

Cons: We are a long time user of Act with 64000 contacts, and thought about an upgrade and tried the newest software. Connection to ACT did not work, called customer service which took DAYS to respond, and only with trivial solutions or told us out browsers were inadequate. We cannot use cloud based software, as many of our sales persons need to travel and out of internet on the road. We asked about purchasing a copy for local server use, and they STILL have not called back. Uses alot of memory and crashed the test computer a couple of times. I reviewed the posts, and many are favorable, but their usage is very different than ours. Most of the positives come from short time users who have no other experience. If you have alot of contacts, doubt if this will work for you.

• Reviewed on 26/09/2018
Consultant
Venture Capital & Private Equity, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 14/03/2020

"Great CRM - One of the originals"

Comments: I began using ACT! in the 90's and learned how many power user techniques. Always liked the software so I have followed it from one distributor to another.

Pros: ACT! is a fantastic CRM and provides all the functionality you will ever need. You're able to customize and create customized processes so this meets a wide range of user requirements.

Cons: Because it has bounced across several publishers and distributors, it is hard to rely on customer support or even content support if you need to look something up.

• Reviewed on 14/03/2020
  • Reviewed on 23/06/2018

"I have used ACT! Vs 18 for a little over a year for a client. I will say it has its ups and downs"

Comments: It does allow you set appointments and manage client information. But, it is very time consuming and you have to do a lot of steps to get what you are wanting out of it.

Pros: This software doesn't require a monthly charge (if you have the desktop version) It allows you to create customized reports and input more information then you possibly could need.

Cons: This software has several Cons, One of the biggest is that its not user friendly so much. it takes you a long time to figure out how to use functions. I had trouble when I fist started using it. Also, when I wanted up upload excel spreadsheets of client info into the CRM. I had to buy an "Add On" which I think should of been something included in the program.

• Reviewed on 23/06/2018
ICT Manager
Music, 201-500 Employees
  • Reviewed on 16/04/2018

"Simple, streamlined CRM to help you keep on track of your leads"

Comments: Happy users, efficient and easy access to customer/lead data

Pros: This is very easy to use, simple yet powerful CRM. End users are very happy with the functionality and has been much easier for management to get staff engaged vs similar products we've tried in the past. The UI is clean and simple, data entry is fast and the inbuilt reports are intuitive.

Cons: From an IT administration standpoint, can be a little clunky deploying on multiple machines. Having said that, once installed it's pretty much maintenance free and requires very little hand holding.

• Reviewed on 16/04/2018
Richard C.
Application Support Analyst
Financial Services Software, 10,000+ Employees
  • Reviewed on 07/08/2020

"Users like it but it's a support nightmare"

Comments: When the application works as it should it is great but it inevitably leads to problems that rarely get resolved by the vendor. Phone support is based in India and we get the feeling they don't want to talk to us when we call. We've had support hang up the phone when they can't give a solution, I've experienced this first hand on more than 2 occasions.

Pros: It's cheap and easy to setup and then it only goes downhill from there.

Cons: The application is a technical support persons worst nightmare. This application seems to have fallen apart for the past 5 years or so. Each release we upgrade to introduces countless bugs which are never addressed by the developers. If you are at all interested in the product, I highly recommend you visit their community support forums https://community.act.com/. Pages and pages of issues that never end up being addressed. I feel like Act is trying to force all of it's users to their cloud version and the client/server side setup is now an after thought.

• Reviewed on 07/08/2020
Richard L.
Management Consulting, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 11/07/2017

"One of better contact management softwares"

Comments: I have tried to replace ACT! with another CRM, Contact Management program. Evaluating the value/cost/functionality/support (SalesForce Basic is more expensive and doesn't come with tech support). For the 20 years I've used ACT! I'm still there, plus I introduced it to a bank's division since it was/is easy to use. As a note, I do not rate an A in technical know-how. One might say I'm a semi-knowledgeable user.

Pros: I use ACT! because it is relatively easy to use with many very useful functions. Tracking and organizing emails, sent and received as well as phone calls becomes almost routine. Several years ago I was updating database and came across an old, maybe 10 years, client who's daughter's birth date I had entered after a call. I called him up, only a week late, to wish his daughter Happy Birthday. After being shocked that I would remember I got a new assignment from his company.

Cons: India call centers = MAJOR weakness. User since the 1990s, V 1.0. Swiftpage is 4th owner. Must have TECHNICAL SUPPORT contract.

• Reviewed on 11/07/2017
Cory S.
Sr. Manager of IT Solutions & Development
Real Estate, 501-1,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 11/10/2018

"ACT! CRM for the Small Business"

Pros: ACT is super easy to customize and has many add-ons that can help you do things that OOB doesn't provide to you. The best thing about this software is that it truly is so easy to navigate through and make it your own without depending on someone else to do it. If you take the time to learn what it can do you can easily learn how to change the layouts and truly make it unbelievable for your entire office.

Cons: It can be difficult to learn to maneuver and it can become slow if your business grows too fast but if you set it up right this can be easily corrected.

• Reviewed on 11/10/2018
Perry G.
  • Reviewed on 21/08/2018

"Excellent Software! I run my entire business on ACT!"

Comments: My Experience with ACT has been great. I have spoken to support on occasion and they are very knowledgeable and supportive, and have always resolved any issues or questions I have. The one great feature of ACT is that it is on my laptop. So if I travel or the internet is down, I can still function - not so with SF.

Pros: It is very simple to use and yet very powerful. It provides me with Notes and Histories and as many fields as I need to put in data about my customers and vendors. It is linked to my phone as well as my admins data. I really cannot see running my business without ACT.

Cons: really nothing to complain about. they do updates and patches to fix any issues I have ever encountered

• Reviewed on 21/08/2018
Bill F.
Realtor
Real Estate, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 18/01/2018

"Good but Not Great"

Comments: Please get me any additional information on work arounds (solutions) to ACT integration with Office 365.

Pros: I have used ACT for over 15 years. The functionality within ACT is good along with the features. It is very intuitive and easy to use.

Cons: The 3rd party integration has been an on going issue for me. Most notably integration with Office 365 and specifically Outlook. I spent hours on the phone with both ACT and Microsoft support trying to get e-mail & e-mail merge to work properly. Each pointing the finger at the other to the point I was ready to look for a new CRM. Fortunately I got it working correctly but I am still concerned about the stability of the two products together.

• Reviewed on 18/01/2018
Nikki D.
Client Advisor
Medical Devices, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 11/03/2019

"Very Helpful"

Comments: The support staff are excellent and will go above and beyond to help me if there are any issue. Mostly user issues and not knowing enough about the processes.

Pros: It is easy to use, the support team are very helpful

Cons: There are lots of you tube videos about ACT on line but i think there should be more in the help section. Also a Chat option would be ideal. Sometimes it is easier to ask a questions than call.

by Swiftpage on 15/03/2019

Hi Nikki,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. I wanted to let you know that we do offer a Live Chat option for support - technical support chat is available for customers with a current subscription or support plan, or Act! Premium trial users. Please note our technicians cannot provide remote assistance by chat.

We appreciate your business!

• Reviewed on 11/03/2019
Robin A.
Piano tuner
  • Reviewed on 13/01/2018

"The best CRM I have come across - been using it since 1997 - more than 20 years!"

Pros: Can be customised just how you like it in so many ways.
Does everything I need and want it to
Easy setup and install

Cons: No native Mac version. I have been using the Mac platform now for 10 years and have to run ACT! through a virtual machine which works well enough but limits functionality.
Also, the newer versions are clunkier and cumbersome compared to earlier versions. Whilst they may lack some of the bells and whistles of more modern versions, I have stuck with ACT!2000 (a.k.a. version 5.04.495 which was designed for Windows 98, and will run on no later Windows version than xp! I tried upgrading a few years ago but didn't like it as much so went back to my old version.

• Reviewed on 13/01/2018
Dawn E.
Sr. Vice President
Insurance Software, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 31/10/2019

"Great Stand Alone database software."

Comments: We use this software to keep track and service our clients. I would recommend this to those looking for a non-clunky database system to maintain clients and prospects.

Pros: We have been using versions of ACT! for about 20 years and were looking for an up to date version. The version we have now is more stable than any versions we have used in the past. We had been looking for another stand-alone version since the older versions were going to become obsolete . I have to say this version uses up less memory. A great buy!

Cons: Sometimes switching between databases causes the software to crash. It has been a problem with most versions we have used. I wish this could be fixed.

• Reviewed on 31/10/2019
Eric B.
  • Reviewed on 19/05/2018

"Good, I like the custom fields."

Pros: Custom fields. Ease of backup. I like that you can save multiple layouts. I do not like that the layout doesn't fit my screen using a typical new HD monitor. I either have to keep the type really small or thevtext gets very blurry.

Cons: Syncing with iPhone - your app doesn't include all the fields. Every time there is a major windows update, ACT has issues. For many years I have asked for a couple of features to be added and was always told by tech support that it should be Easy to add, but nothing ever happens.

• Reviewed on 19/05/2018
Gail G.
Training Coordinator
Medical Practice, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 27/11/2017

"DO NOT PURCHASE THIS CRM"

Pros: Considering the pathetic customer support, I would have to say - nothing! Our inability to reach Customer Support to resolve our conversion issue has rendered the CRM useless.

Cons: Our small company has been successfully using ACT for years and three weeks ago we moved from the server version to the cloud. Since we made the switch we have been literally "dead in the water" as some of our data did not make the conversion and we have been unable to reach anyone from Customer Support to help us resolve this issue even though we purchased the Premium Support Package . Last week our head of IT was on hold for 1.5 hours before someone answered the phone only to be told he had reached the wrong help line, was transferred to another help desk, was on hold for another hour before he finally gave up. This is simply not okay!!!

• Reviewed on 27/11/2017
Sherilyn R.
Realtor
Real Estate, 1,001-5,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 14/02/2020

"Not what I expected"

Comments: I will be reviewing other CRM's when my renewal comes due.

Pros: It is a pretty decent CRM in terms of data collection and contact management.

Cons: Support is a problem. (I paid for premium service "an extra" to speak with an "on-shore" technician". Hold times when you call in can be up to an hour at any given time of the day. Sometimes you can be cut-off after holding 45 minutes and begin the process all over again. Tech often does not know the answer and has to "escalate to Sr. tech" They say they will get back to you in 24 hours by call or email. I am on day 3 now and have not received this call back. In my business my CRM is my navigator and used as a main part of my business day. The down time is ridiculous. I have been dead in the water all morning today, it is now noon. I am currently on hold waiting for a tech to explain my inability to log in today. I have currently been on hold for 43:53 minutes and counting.

• Reviewed on 14/02/2020
Greg W.
Broker
Insurance Software, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 06/01/2017

"Good and Bad"

Comments: Since I've updated it's been 1 a headache after another. I kept ACT Bc of my familiarity with the product. But now I have problems with SQL servers not starting, lost a database, and have to pay for customer service? The Customer support guys do work hard to fix your Problem. But paying to fix a problem ACT created or overlooked seems greedy. So minus 2 stars. Also getting some of the reports is not as easy as it uses to be. I don't use all the features of this software but some of it would be great, but now redundant as I have other programs handling those for me. Overall it's just "C" maybe "C+" for me.

Pros: Layout and look. All the different features and uses.

Cons: Sometimes when I print address labels, it will go and grab the actual address instead of the PO Box. Also 1 wrong click and suddenly everyone connected with a company has that company's address. Also really had a hard time with Birthday reports. I just want 1 specific month, not everyone in random order. SQL servers don't always boot up.

• Reviewed on 06/01/2017
IT Consultant
  • Reviewed on 05/04/2019

"ACT functionality in 2019"

Comments: Functional software for contact and opportunity management that has been in use for over 20 years with a consistent interface. All contact management software requires a learning curve to effectively use the software. My consulting clients do not use the marketing component of ACT, so those features have not been evaluated as of yet. ACT has gone through a number of owners, and the current owners seem to be putting in the effort to keep pace with Microsoft Outlook. Quickbooks integration could still be better though, but cooridnating with third party vendors will always be a challenge.

Pros: Consistent interface through the years, reliable functionality and easy to resolve simple issues. Even in a small business, hosting the database on a consumer grade PC and operating system still provides a functional and fast connection. The ability to create an offline database that can then be synced with the master database is very useful for laptop users. Finally in ACT 2018/2019, the interface between Outlook 365 (aka Outlook 2016) and ACT! is finally more reliable.

Cons: The time it takes to create a large offline database seems way to slow. Some troubleshooting issues require support from ACT!. I strongly recommend a support plan with ACT!

• Reviewed on 05/04/2019
Robert O.
Sole proprietor
Arts & Crafts, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 29/01/2019

"Value of using Act"

Comments: See What I liked most.

Pros: Started using Act about 25 years ago. Have added contacts since and used most of the features. Over time the use of certain features such as mass mailings to customer lists have faded, and now occasionally by e-mail. Over time I have come to value how I can locate someone that was a customer years ago, and have a complete record of a transaction, conversation or specific subject we were involved in. You have to learn to use for nearly every phone conversation or piece of correspondence. If you do, you will always be able to revert back to a contact, and who said what when. What correspondence was involved etc. To say nothing about scheduling appointments, and being reminded of birthdays and other important events. Act is the backbone of my business and personal contact information. Invaluable and used every day. I have used over may revisions and Company changes. Sometimes the customer service is better than others. Presently the Customer Service is Excellent. If you are a first time user or considering starting to use it I would recommend you take a course on using it as many of the features are not apparent unless someone shows them to you. A great tool to keep track of what everyone on your team is doing and as they move on a record of what they did and who was involved. A great tool that I rely on daily. Happy to spread the word.

Cons: Many features that I never use, but see how others would. Don't like having to use MS Outlook for e-mail. Would like to access completely by phone, but my database is too big.

• Reviewed on 29/01/2019
Van mclean R.
Business Development and Communications Manager
Nonprofit Organization Management, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 22/04/2021

"ACT! for NGOs"

Comments: I generally find ACT! basic but easy to use. You find there what you need - particularly the database management.

Pros: I have pioneered the purchase of ACT! in my company. Back then, It offers a perpetual license per user which is great as you don't subject yourself to a monthly or annual subscription. I love the fact that ACT! marketing can be customised and very rare that it falls under the promotions tab of the email recipient.

Cons: ACT! can only be linked to a certain version of Outlook which i find not helpful. Not all the licenses we purchased were maximise as they find ACT! a work duplicate particularly on the finance side since only selected accounting software can be integrated in the ACT! system.

• Reviewed on 22/04/2021
Wayne D.
Environmental Services, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 30/06/2021

"Long time ACT! user, especially happy with V23"

Comments: Greatly improved and confidence-inspiring in V23.
Minimal frustration
ACT! is feature-rich, and discovery of additional functionality is fun as well as useful.
Many useful/fun feature surprises to be discovered with HELP and excellent videos to get there

Pros: Not easy to learn, but getting much easier. But very powerful for those who would take the time to become familiar with its muscle.
It is apparent to me that Swiftpage folks are remarkably skilled and motivated to make ACT! an (THE) industry leader.
Significantly greater reliability and freedom from issues.
I have seen wonderful improvements in marketing automation with V23
Current functionality of marketing automation was beyond my imagination
Technical assistance is quick and has become absolutely first class. I rate a solid 10

Cons: Steep learning curve, but learning the system is greatly eased recently with new videos that are easy to follow and with a narrative voice that is especially understandable
Technical help is not available on weekends and after hours.

• Reviewed on 30/06/2021