• Overall
    4.7 /5
    4.7 /5

About Gusto

Gusto makes payroll, benefits, and HR refreshingly easy for small businesses.

Learn more about Gusto

Showing 25 reviews of 2,721

Kaleigh B.
therapist/practice owner
Health, Wellness & Fitness, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 24/09/2020

"love it"

Comments: I've been using it about a year and a half to run payroll for a small team of employees. It only takes me a few minutes to run payroll each time.

Pros: I love Gusto. It makes running payroll super easy. They submit the necessary reports to the state and automatically calculates the taxes to take out. It's super affordable compared to a payroll service or accountant.

Cons: I honestly can't think of much that could be improved. Maybe if it was somewhat easier to use different types of compensation (hourly, commission, etc.)

• Reviewed on 24/09/2020
Cloud Engineer
  • Reviewed on 23/11/2020

"Administration made a breeze"

Comments: I am very please with the product, quality, easy to manage my employees, time tracking, forecasting, budgeting, and onboarding are all crucial to a daily task admin.

Pros: Huge kudos to the developers, this is an absolute wonderful tool to keep up with employees, onboarding processes and training materials (time tracking)

Cons: sometimes the lack of web UI features, interactions make some end users lose interest in its usage

• Reviewed on 23/11/2020
Alicia D.
Lawyer
Legal Services, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 12/06/2020

"I’m an employment lawyer and I consistently recommend Gusto to my clients"

Comments: Customer support is great. This is a good company. They aren’t the cheapest. And they aren’t the most expensive. I think the extra cost is worth it to ensure compliance.

Pros: Gusto is easy and straightforward to use. But it doesn’t sacrifice accuracy for ease. What I like most about Gusto is that it makes it easy for small businesses to be legally compliant with complicated wage laws across jurisdictions. I haven’t found a legal error yet — and I can’t say that about any other payroll software or service I’ve worked with over the last 15 years.

Cons: I wish the price didn’t jump up so much for time clock feature. Getting clients to use the integrated time clock can be a challenge, and it creates unnecessary problems. It should be included in the base fee.

• Reviewed on 12/06/2020
Michael J.
Marketing Consultant
  • Reviewed on 19/06/2020

"The best online payroll provider I have ever used"

Pros: Gusto is extremely simple and quick to configure, and speedy to run payrolls—even custom payrolls or additional payrolls—during the month. It has been an incredibly user-friendly and intuitive solution for someone not familiar with accounting or payroll processes.

Cons: I have had nothing but success with Gusto. No issues, no payroll processing problems, nothing. They pull funds Monday for Friday pay, which might be a long gap, but also offer a shorter payroll process, where you can pull funds Wednesday for Friday pay . . . I just haven't configured that shorter process yet.

• Reviewed on 19/06/2020
Co-Founder
Media Production, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 10/09/2019

"Simply the best"

Comments: I've tried so many other payroll packages. Gusto is the quickest to setup and maintain.

Pros: Ease of use to run payroll for both Employees and Contractors. They also have an awesome employee feedback service, which allows me to get a pulse on how the company is running directly from the employees themselves.

Cons: It's a bit pricy but totally worth it if you want a simplified easy to use solution.

• Reviewed on 10/09/2019
Karla G.
Accounting, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 16/07/2020

"Gusto is an ideal payroll service for smaller companies"

Comments: This software save us processing time and the headaches of filing payroll tax returns and paying taxes. They prefer working with companies with up to 50 employees I think - really big payrolls will not be a good fit for Gusto.

Pros: Gusto technical support is excellent and the product is easy to use. As a cloud based payroll program it is easy to run payroll from anywhere at any time. I have had clients in different service based and non profit businesses on it for several years. The cost is reasonable and in fact the core program can save a great deal as compared with the big nationally recognized names. This company is also national and offers many employee benefits that the leaders offer. You can set payroll to run automatically if it is the same every time, and it syncs with Quickbooks Online online.

Cons: I sometimes have a little trouble customizing reports quickly and have not seen a way to save them for future use. But they do have a good selection of reports available. That includes being really proactive about PPP loan reports.

• Reviewed on 16/07/2020
Maria C.
Broadcast Media, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 19/08/2020

"SOFTWARE"

Comments: It has been a life saver. I hate doing payroll and they do all the work for us.

Pros: The ease in which we can enter and keep track of payroll issues.

Cons: Insurance issues need to be explored so that we have more to offer our employees.

• Reviewed on 19/08/2020
Sheila J.
Construction, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 02/07/2019

"Gusto? They didn't need my business any longer."

Comments: Had a good experience until we had to suspend payroll due to a lull in business (you keep getting billed whether you run payroll or not). The stipulation is you have to reactivate within the quarter if you want to continue using Gusto. Well, the end of the quarter fell on a Sunday and trying to reactivate first thing Monday morning did not work. You cannot reactivate your account for another year. Makes absolutely no sense that a few hours made that much of a difference. The were willing to lose a customer and let me walk away instead of reactivating the account.

Pros: Easy to use and navigate. Customer service is friendly and helpful. Reports are clear and concise.

Cons: Wait time for customer service is lengthy and usually requires a call back which they prompt for automatically or disconnect if the wait time is over 10 minutes. Monthly invoices are hard to find if you don't use the link provided in your email notification.

• Reviewed on 02/07/2019
Chief Disruption Officer
Financial Services, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 28/10/2020

"Easiest Payroll Platform for Small Business on the Market!"

Pros: Simplicity of use, integration with QuickBooks, significant time savings for a small business owner. Great reports and an excellent platform to keep everything in a single organized place, including new employee self-onboarding.

Cons: The company was flying and building its plane at the same time - we have grown with it, but not without a few bumps along the way, but overall this platform is a life saver for small business, its added features and functionality continually improve. I absolutely love it!

• Reviewed on 28/10/2020
Nicole B.
HR Director
Computer Software
  • Reviewed on 30/06/2015

"Head of Business Improvmenent and HR"

Pros: Support. They see every issue through as if you're the most important or the only client. They're thorough and they tolerate you if you're on a learning curve (we're an Australian business setting up our US operations and health etc benefits is a new and unnatural thing for a business to grapple with). The software is flawless and usability is perfect. We run our payroll in a few clicks, and that's because we don't choose autopilot. Used to run benefits thru Zenefits who made a lot of errors, and zenpayroll stepped in without hesitation or complaint and ran every correction. It's complete, not half cooked. It's how software and support should be done.

Cons: We are a global business, and things are done differently in other countries for payroll. For instance, we don't need to go thru the pain and inefficiently of supporting benefits in other countries. Plus there is different legislation and tax setups etc. I wish zenpayroll was configured to support payroll in other countries so companies like ours growing elsewhere could benefit from One-payroll without considering the bigger and clunkier vendors. If you're growing, most likely you're growing globally or planning to. Otherwise it's perfect.

• Reviewed on 30/06/2015
Daniel shatzkes ceo E.
Founder/CEO
Music, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 29/11/2018

"Gusto makes payroll stupid easy"

Comments: Gusto makes payroll incredibly easy, makes integrating with Quickbooks simple, and makes the entire payroll process very transparent. I can add bonuses or commissions to any employee for any payroll period and I get an easy breakdown of where all the money that is drawn out of my business account is going. Any time I've needed help or support Gusto has been fantastic either on the phone, via email or with Live Chat. I don't know how other payroll companies do things but I know that I love Gusto.

Pros: Taking care of payroll each month takes literally just seconds. My company is small, so maybe a larger company with a lot more employees might take a little longer. But probably no more than a couple of minutes. Plus, I love how Gusto gives an entire breakdown of what is being paid and to who so you can see exactly how much the employee gets and how much does to his/her taxes, and also how much in payroll taxes the company is paying.

Cons: The monthly price is the same regardless of whether or not you use a lot of the extra benefits and offerings. For example, Gusto offers a way to offer employees 401k benefits or health benefits. It would be nice if there were a slightly less expensive option for micro-businesses that don't necessarily make use of all those benefits.

• Reviewed on 29/11/2018
Nick M.
Automotive, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 25/03/2020

"Gusto make payroll easy"

Comments: As a small business in California it's difficult to keep pace with the changing payroll g laws. Gusto helped us solve this problem.

Pros: I like the ease of use and the ability to manage employee's payroll, W-2's, and benefits/deductions. I also like the onboarding feature which file the I-9 for new employees. Another nice feature is the birthday cards that the whole team can sign online.

Cons: I don't like that it doesn't specifically track vacation time. It calls it paid time off or PTO. Paid vacation and paid time off are not the same.

• Reviewed on 25/03/2020
Amy T.
Retail, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 15/11/2018

"Makes payroll easy for a newbie"

Pros: As a small business owner, I just hired my first couple employees last year. I was completely new to the whole thing, and was a bit intimidated by all the requirements of doing payroll. After looking into a few payroll software options, I went with Gusto and am glad I did. It walked me through everything, in a very user-friendly way. It has helpful articles about the various requirements of payroll taxes, steps for hiring employees, forms to fill out, etc. The setup took a bit of time, but was a pretty reasonable process. Now that it's all set up, I don't have to spend hardly any time at all on payroll. I spend maybe 10-15 minutes every two weeks on payroll, and then don't have to think about it. Gusto handles all the payroll taxes (filing, paying, etc), and employee direct deposits. It honestly couldn't be easier.

Cons: I had a little bit of a problem getting my state taxes account set up. For some reason, it was giving me error messages about account numbers and things. Customer service was able to help me through it, and figure out what the issue was on their end. That was the only part of the process that wasn't totally painless. The only thing I wish this software had is a timecard functionality.

• Reviewed on 15/11/2018
Chenna C.
COO & Co-Owner
Retail, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 09/09/2020

"Gusto Payroll Processing System"

Comments: It is very easy to.manage and my business partner loves it. We are so far happy with the product and can't complain.

Pros: Ease of use, ease of onboarding, ease of managing payroll, payroll hikes, taxes, employee database, among other data.

Cons: I can't think of a lot to complain about. One of the major issues was the performance management of employees and needed to make sure employee pay raises are taking effect when they are supposed to be

• Reviewed on 09/09/2020
Mario R.
Accounting, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 29/04/2020

"Great software, amazing tech support"

Pros: Ease of use, clients love it, good pricing, Great software, amazing tech support

Cons: I can't think of anything substantive. Great stuff

• Reviewed on 29/04/2020
Michael Y.
Job Developer
Staffing & Recruiting, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 06/08/2019

"Gusto is amazing"

Pros: Gusto is a userfriendly software that is easy to learn. With its new features, I am able to submit my timesheet and input my hours instantly. I also can review my pay stubs, salary, benefits, and anything else that is related to my job! It's super easy to use and I really enjoy using it.

Cons: When inputting your hours, if your company provides any differential, it'll be confusing on how to input that into Gusto. There is a note setting where I input my hour differential and I would have to notify my supervisor. Maybe this could be something Gusto can include so companies who provide a shift differential can have their employees easily input the information.

• Reviewed on 06/08/2019
Research assistant
Research, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 17/11/2020

"It's okay not bad but not great"

Comments: It is okay. It is pretty simple to use, there are just small things I would want to change.

Pros: It is an all in one software that allows you to record time and pay employees through the same software.

Cons: You cannot clock in at the beginning of your shift and then out at the end, you have to enter the information all at one time.

• Reviewed on 17/11/2020
Erin Q.
Accounting Assistant
Accounting
  • Reviewed on 29/08/2016

"Easy and Flexible Payroll and HR Management"

Pros: This product is very user friendly. It allows you to manage various types of employees in various locations with easy. I could easily manage salaried and hourly employees and it allows hourly employees to enter their own hours. It also allowed employees to set-up their profiles, which saved time on my part in the back-end. Instead of copying a lot of personal information and making constant W-4 updates, the software allows employees to set themselves up with information they know well and make changes that streamline during the payroll process.

Cons: Sometimes it felt like certain tasks were taking more clicks than necessary to complete. For instance, if I need to change the pay rate for several employees I would go into each one individually, but then once I saved and was ready to update the next profile I would have to go back to the employee screen and then expand the scroll-able list again. It would be nice to easily go back to where I was when making large updates.

• Reviewed on 29/08/2016
Giridhar S.
Campaign Executive
Information Technology & Services, 1,001-5,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 14/09/2020

"Best HR Service and Tools Software"

Comments: We have been using Gusto software since a while ago as it's output is completely outstanding when in terms of payroll management, self access portal of employee, Employee related queries, leave management and everything that the HR is responsible for.

Pros: Gusto is the best HR services and HR Tools software that definitely helps us in real time in which it has all the employees payroll management, Employee self access Portal, Employee benefits, Employee attendance and everything and it helps us a lot.

Cons: There's nothing least about this Gusto software as I'd like to request why not they have few fun activities as in the part of theri tools so as to engage all employees.

• Reviewed on 14/09/2020
Enterprise Growth
  • Reviewed on 30/09/2019

"Gusto is quite possibly the best payroll/HR system out there for smaller companies"

Comments: Very easy to use, customer service is top-notch, and although the price is a little high it's worth it.

Pros: Easy to use portal for payroll on both the employee and the employer sides. Has plenty of integrations - TurboTax, Quickbooks, Xero...

Cons: It can be considered pretty expensive for some small companies. Can have long wait times/hold for customer service.

• Reviewed on 30/09/2019
Johnny A.
Director of Development and Operations
Museums & Institutions, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 24/05/2019

"Nearly perfect HR but an amazing value"

Comments: Despite the lack of some features, we've been with Gusto for several years and the value and the customer support more than make up for it.

Pros: Gusto is beautiful, easy, and has all of the basics. Personally, I don't have time to spend more than a few hours each week on HR but Gusto makes running payroll and onboarding new staff quick; keeping our paperwork to a minimum; and handles benefits like a pro.

Cons: Gusto is missing a few features that would make it a perfect product. Timesheets are *very* basic. Reports can be a little cumbersome. And there's no feature or integration for performance management or applicant tracking.

• Reviewed on 24/05/2019
Marisa P.
Paralegal
Legal Services, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 22/08/2019

"Payroll has never been easier!"

Comments: My overall experience has been incredible. Thank you Gusto!

Pros: Being in a firm that is growing rapidly I love that I don't have to stress about making sure everyone is paid on time and that I am able to review their submitted requests for sick leave or vacation. I love that Gusto now gives the employees of the firm the option to track their time! This has been one of my most favorite features of Gusto! Gusto continuously amazes me with their awesome updates.

Cons: I've been using Gusto for years now and I have not encountered any problems thus far! Keep up the good work Gusto!

• Reviewed on 22/08/2019
Anna C.
Director of Operations
Entertainment, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 19/11/2019

"Gusto is the best!"

Comments: Not only the administrators love it but the employees too. It is so easy to use and they never have an issues finding exactly what they need.

Pros: Ease of use - for admins as well as employees
Accessibility - no one ever has any issues finding and accessing their items
Organization - gives us a place for all of our payroll needs

Cons: Nothing, it has been great. We switched from ADP and thought that we would have issues with coming from such a large payroll company but Gusto has been amazing.

• Reviewed on 19/11/2019
Digital Content Designer
Professional Training & Coaching, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 22/10/2019

"I love Gusto"

Pros: I used Gusto at several jobs and my current job sadly transitioned away from it (though to a no less wonderful program.) Gusto wins in my book for several reason from a User end. First off, it is super user friendly. It's easy to navigate, they email you as soon as your paycheck hits (my current software has a delay in this), and two huge bonuses are that you can export your W4s straight into your tax software by linking with Gusto *and* you can access multiple jobs from it. This was great when several jobs I worked all used Gusto, because come tax season, I didn't have to log into four different sites.

Cons: There was nothing I disliked about Gusto. If I had to reach, I'd simply say that their cute, fun aesthetic also reaches their print PDF paystubs, which made me a little nervous when I was turning them in to be approved for an apartment or such.

• Reviewed on 22/10/2019
Tiffany H.
Nonprofit Organization Management, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 07/05/2020

"If I could give 6 stars, I would"

Comments: I work with small non-profits, specifically churches and ministries. Many of them are still doing their own payroll internally through Quickbooks or something. But the problem with that is that there are really no other extra features besides just payroll. Whereas Gusto has digital onboarding, online timecards, and automatic accrual tracking. And, I know I said it before, the system is SO super simple that even a kid could use it.

Pros: Oh my goodness this is literally the easiest payroll software EVER! I work mostly with small non-profit organizations who struggle with the business side of things but Gusto is so super easy, that it is honestly hard to mess anything up! I love their graphics, the easy steps, and how simple it is to find stuff. On top of all of this, their customer service is amazing!

Cons: The cost is a little on the high side, especially the per person cost for some of their higher levels of service. With that being said, it is the perfect software for organizations that are smaller and don't necessary need the 50 million bells and whistles but benefit from the additional features even in the base plan.

• Reviewed on 07/05/2020