• Overall
    4.4 /5
    4.3 /5
  • Customer Service Software
    4.4 /5

About Schoology

Schoology, a PowerSchool company, is the education technology company putting collaboration at the heart of the learning experience.

Learn more about Schoology

Technology Director
Primary/Secondary Education, 201-500 Employees
  • Reviewed on 18/01/2020

"Schoology - Powerful, but User Friendly LMS"

Comments: Schoology has been a game changer for us. As a district that previously used an open source alternative, we really took a risk by rolling out a new product that was not free. Teachers have really embraced the platform, which is allowing us to move toward a model where learning is individualized and focused on the needs of the learner.

Pros: Schoology feels like a social media platform. It's easy to use and makes sense when you're using it. It has a tremendous ability to be extended with integrations with Google, Microsoft, etc. and connects well with other learning platforms that are important in K-12 settings.

Cons: At the enterprise level, sometimes support the can be lackluster when dealing with things such as the synchronization between Schoology and PowerSchool. On the positive side, we anticipate with PowerSchool's purchase of Schoology that this might improve over time.

• Reviewed on 18/01/2020
Courtney M.
n/a
  • Reviewed on 08/05/2019

"Terrible app even worse customer service"

Comments: Terrible app with even worse customer service

Pros: It was easy to manage my son's schooling.

Cons: It's clunky you have to go in and out to see different grades instead of being under one easy tab. Don't even think of forgetting your password. There is no reset function available and when you ask for help you get a super snarky email. I will copy and paste Hi Cmac0521, We are no longer accepting ticket submissions from Basic users. Helpdesk ticketing support is a feature of our Enterprise subscription. You can see what’s included in Enterprise here. To support our millions of free (Basic) users, we have invested in providing you easy access to better support resources, like the newly launched Schoology Guide Center. We also recommend visiting the Schoology Help Center where you can access a wealth of information about Schoology as well as engage with our member Community. Not sure if you’re a ‘Basic’ account holder? Instructors: if you see the word “Upgrade” in the upper left corner of your Schoology account of your account - that means you’re Basic! Parents and Students: check with your instructor! Sincerely,
Schoology Support
Basically "you didn't pay we don't want to help you, go annoy the school. You're Basic LOL" - Schoology "customer service"

• Reviewed on 08/05/2019
Tara M.
Education Management, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 18/12/2020

"Virtual Learning Experts"

Comments: Schoology was chosen as our program for virtual learning from home during the COVID pandemic. As a teacher, I was overwhelmed at first, but caught on quickly. Now, I use Schoology to upload lessons, create tests and quizzes, and even upload YouTube read-alouds for student viewing. It has been a vital resource to allow me to connect with my students.

Pros: Schoology seems overwhelming at first, but is pretty easy to catch on to once you start to upload material. There are plenty of user guides and how-to tips available on their website to help out as well. Schoology allows me to teach lessons virtually to my students during the pandemic.

Cons: It is a little more complicated to upload some things such as google forms to the site.

• Reviewed on 18/12/2020
Angela H.
Primary/Secondary Education, 1,001-5,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 04/02/2021

"Versatile Learning Management System"

Comments: Overall, the application has made it beneficial in that all educational needs are in one place; assessments, assignments, grades, messaging

Pros: This software had been instrumental in making learning available both in the classroom and at-home learning for students that are out for any reason.

Cons: It is time consuming to post Google Applications in all of the classes. You can post the assignment but you have to go into each class and attach the document.

• Reviewed on 04/02/2021
Gilda G.
Technology Integration Specialist
Primary/Secondary Education, 201-500 Employees
  • Reviewed on 25/09/2018

"Schoology - like a Swiss army knife for educators!"

Comments: I have used Schoology as a teacher with students and as a professional development platform with other teachers. I love all the options I have for sharing content of all types and engaging students in many ways. I constantly find new features to try out with my students. In addition, I am one of the system admins for our school district. I have used both the Basic (free) version and the Enterprise version. Schoology Support is always helpful, and while they cannot always meet my needs right away, they are always working on site improvements and new features.

Pros: •Ease of use - Most teachers, students, and parents learn to navigate the LMS pretty easily. •Many levels of use - Teachers can begin using the LMS at a simple, basic level with great success, and then progress to use more advanced features that enrich the educational experience of their students. I love incorporating online discussions and media albums in my classes. •Anywhere, anytime - Teachers can set up their daily classes in Schoology, embedding images, media, discussions, quizzes, and more. This lends itself to all types of teaching experiences from whole class to small group to individual assignments. Assignments can actually be assigned to small groups or individual students, and these will not populate the Schoology feeds of other students. The Schoology course can be used to facilitate the classroom experience, but also allows student access to classroom content 24/7. •Great integration with G Suite - Schoology plays very well with all things Google. I love the Google Drive Assignments app, which organizes my students’ assignments so beautifully.

Cons: •Cannot create recurring calendar events.
•Badges are only visible on Profile Page. I wish they were more visible on all pages, like they are in Khan Academy. Badges are also not visible on the iOS platform.
•I wish assignments had both “assigned on” dates, as well as “due dates.”

• Reviewed on 25/09/2018
Crystal H.
Teaching and Learning Coordinator
Education Management
  • Reviewed on 03/02/2017

"BEST LMS experience for teachers, students, admin and community!"

Comments: Moodle. Blackboard. Edmodo. Google Classroom. Each year of teaching seemed to bring with it another piecemeal LMS until we found Schoology! Schoology allows our teachers, students, admin and community to stay informed and connected. As a teacher, Schoology was easy to figure out due to its intuitive platform. I love the various features and app integrations that allow students to do much of their online learning within the platform avoiding third party site visits and lots of extra clicking. As an Enterprise user, I also appreciate the SIS integration with PowerSchool that automatically transfers student grades from Schoology. The group feature allows me to easily send updates about One-Act and Speech practice schedules or leave time reminders that can be routed to students' phones, and the groups also provide excellent PLNs for various topics. Admins have begun harnessing the power of online professional development modules via Schoology as well. Students enjoy the calendar view, which we have taught them to use like a planner and appreciate the quick feedback from assessments. Parents enjoy more transparency about what is going on at school and the media albums work great for capturing all of the awesome learning that needs to be recognized and celebrated. As a BlendEd Learning leader, Schoology is integral to day to day planning and organization. I also appreciate that Schoology is very responsive to user issues and requests. Their Client Success team is there to answer questions and trouble shoot when you need them, and the product developers are always taking suggestions and creating new features to make the platform more user friendly for teachers and students. Unlike previous platforms, Schoology is my one-stop shop that is here to stay! After four years of use, I couldn't imagine teaching without it!

Pros: -Ease of use
-Groups provide online PLNs
-Supportive client services
-Excellent BlendEd Platform
-Can align with CC or state standards
-Allows for competency-based grading (Mastery via Enterprise)
-Parent log in options (one log in for all of their kids)
-App works well on Mac and Android devices

Cons: -Can't create reoccurring events or assignments (yet)
-PowerSchool Pro and Schoology integration in beta only (Enterprise)

• Reviewed on 03/02/2017
Kelsey A.
E-Learning, 10,000+ Employees

"Soar with Schoology"

Comments: Schoology is by far the best educational tool for students, even in Elementary School. The program is so easy to use, one-stop-shop for teachers to house all their materials, and a great way to keep parents informed and aware of their student's academics! I have used Schoology for 2 years and I have led the drive for this tool for elementary classrooms in my district. Schoology has changed the way I teach and how I personalize learning for my students! So easy for students to understand as well! I am extremely happy with Schoology and I would reccommend Schoology to be used in all districts across the world!

Pros: - Syncs straight to your Google Drive.
- Nearpod and EdPuzzle syncs right into Schoology courses.
- Syncs with District Gradebook for easy grading.
- Individualized folders and assignments is great for personalizing learning.
- Student completion tool to keep student's accountable for their work.
- Allows for embedding teacher videos so student's don't have to navigate away from Schoology.
- Add personal touches like course pictures, profile pictures, color folders, Bitmoji interactive classroom announcements, interactive buttons, etc.
- Great calendar feature to put in meetings and share with other students or educators.
- Great for all ages!

Cons: There are a lot of districts across the world now adopting Schoology so sometimes the software could be slower than usual. I would also like to be able to change the colors of the folders to my own options.

Janelle W.
Digital Learning Coach
Education Management, 5,001-10,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 11/07/2020

"Schoology for Synchronous and Asychronous Learning"

Comments: We use Schoology to provide synchronous and asynchronous instruction for our students across all schools and grade levels in our district. Overall, the experience has been positive.

Pros: What I like most about Schoology is the ability to integrate multiple external tools within a Schoology course--you can embed videos, apps, and other tools directly within Schoology, which allows students a single point of access for all of the learning tools they'll need for a given lesson. For example, you can easily embed a FlipGrid, Padlet, or EdPuzzle directly into Schoology--this has been a great benefit to teachers and students.

Cons: There are a few small issues that we have a Schoology users--the most notable is the inability to force-submit quizzes and tests on behalf of students who forget to submit their assessments. This makes it impossible for the teacher to grade a students work without having the student go in an press the submit button. Additionally, the inability of teachers to rotate pages in document submissions (i.e. the student uploads a document horizontally, but it needs to be read vertically) adds additional difficulties for teachers as they grade. Finally, the fact that when a student uploads multiple pages to an assignment, Schoology displays them in size order instead of in the order they are uploaded increases difficulty for teachers when it comes to grading because often an assignment is not in the correct order.

Ann F.
District Instructional Technology Specialist
Education Management, 10,000+ Employees
  • Reviewed on 22/06/2018

"Schoology is central to our successful 1:1 blended learning classrooms providing digital workflow."

Comments: The software is central to our curriculum delivery in our 1:1 blended learning classrooms. It is a core app that we use daily and streamlines communication, assessment, and assignments.

Pros: Schoology is intuitive for both teachers and students. I love that Schoology is specifically designed for K-12 and has a simple interface for primary students. Schoology provides students one place to access curriculum content, collaborate with peers, and receive immediate feedback from assessments. Our teachers leverage several features in Schoology including grading groups and completion rules. Teachers can privately differentiate curriculum materials to individual students or groups with just a click using grading groups. Teachers can also design lessons that utilize completion rules which forces students to complete on activity with a certain degree of accuracy before moving on to the next activity. Teachers can also provide students feedback in a variety of formats which can include audio, video, drawings or written. The feedback is available to students as soon as it is graded. In addition to courses, Schoology also has a group feature which is one place for teachers to share curriculum materials with one another. The content in the group is shared with just a click to any course. This makes it very easy to move materials from teachers to students without the need to download or upload files, creating a smooth digital workflow.

Cons: None. The Schoology team is responsive to feedback and the team is constantly striving to make improvements.

• Reviewed on 22/06/2018
Glen I.
Teacher/Technology Integrationist
E-Learning, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 16/05/2017

"Fantastic, game-changing LMS"

Comments: Schoology has transformed my teaching! I have been teaching for almost 18 years and I knew that I was basically teaching to the middle group of my students. I was not differentiating for the various learners in my class. The tools available in Schoology helped me to move my teaching from lecture based to a blended classroom approach. I now train teachers on a daily basis to transform their teaching using Schoology. The Schoology community is one of the most active, supportive groups I have ever encountered.

Pros: Schoology is an easy to use LMS initially as a teacher and student. The best part is that there are so many added features and an amazing supportive community to help you customize and develop your courses even further. The customer service for Schoology is fantastic and the professional learning community in Schoology Educators is active and very helpful to anyone from a beginner to an advanced user. We did a side by side comparison between Schoology - Edmodo - Canvas and Google Classroom and our teachers and students completely supported our adoption of Schoology!

Cons: Some missing features include the ability to lock an entire folder and the ability to navigate quiz/tests more easily.

• Reviewed on 16/05/2017
Education Management, 5,001-10,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 24/08/2019

"A beautiful piece of software"

Comments: Our business is extremely productive thanks to Schoology. It gives teachers a lot of control over their class and a way to organize everything in a way that it saves time and money. Amazing!

Pros: I cannot stress how incredible this software is. It looks a bit like Facebook, which makes it both familiar and easy to use, the user-interface is a huge reason why my company uses Schoology. Schoology interfaces with Google, allowing embed of my google files so that it will automatically update in Schoology if I update an assignment sheet and/or calendar. Students can also upload assignments from their Google Drive. In fact, the interfacing means you can grade, view, and comment on all assignments in Google Drive. It's incredibly easy to use in the classroom setting and I have had student parents thank me for their children's learning progress because of this software.

Cons: The thing I like least about Schoology is that while it has great Google interfacing, there's a lack of some other platforms that could be useful for people who might need that kind of feature. It's not a problem for me and my company.

• Reviewed on 24/08/2019
Melissa R.
Education Technology Specialist-Instruction
  • Reviewed on 02/05/2018

"In a 1:1 iPad classroom, Schoology was a lifesaver for assignments, quizzes, and organization!"

Pros: The ability to connect assignments with State Standards to create Mastery Grading. Connecting parents with their own log in meant that there were no surprises when it came time for grade reports and when parents were surprised, I could easily see if they had created a parent account. The time/date stamp on assignments was very helpful when a student tried to pit me against their parents. I also appreciated the option to personalize classes with photos, color code folders, and set announcement banners. I can't imagine teaching in today's Ed Tech world without Schoology.

Cons: Some of the features (such as badges) do not show on the IOS app. This was frustrating for me when implementing "gamification". Students needed a laptop or PC to view badges earned.

• Reviewed on 02/05/2018
Social Work Intern
Education Management, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 19/08/2019

"Essential Tool for Online Classrooms!"

Comments: While Schoology is definitely not perfect, I think that it is still one of the best online educational tools out there! It's great for teachers and school professionals to use and students alike. I would reccomend this to anyone who's looking to transition into Schoology as I think it could be worth trying out.

Pros: Schoology is a great platform for professionals who work in schools! It has an online classroom system where students can be added to classes and teachers can post things like assignments or any other general posts. Some really great features include how students can submit assignments as well as how threads can be created. I particularly like how threads can be created because students can comment on each other's comments and this creates a classroom discussion that can be very important for the assignment. In addition, I also really like how the students can interact with each other or send messages to me or each other.

Cons: What I like the least about Schoology is the interface. I think that it looks a little outdated and can be simplified a lot. I look forward to future updates where the interface of Schoology is changed up a bit because it has been looking the same for a while and needs to adjust to the time. I think that other alternatives out there tend to have a much better interface and is easier to navigate around compared to Schoology.

• Reviewed on 19/08/2019
Juvy M.
Grade 8 ELA Teacher
Education Management, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 20/11/2018

"Schoology is every K-12 school's aid of delivering success which will be evident to child's growth."

Comments: Schoology saves much time of incorporating fun an learning in my classroom.

Pros: When I think of the best learning management system, it is no other than Schoology. It is a software designed for collaboration and interaction with the ease of use since it has a user-friendly interface. I like all of its tools specifically the one that provides instant report on the assessment took by the students. This software was designed based on the needs of the users and their abilities to use modern technology without worrying on how to operate it. It is very portable because you can use any device and still it has a perfect graphical user-interface. Teachers and students will definitely enjoy learning through Schoology. No more boring lesson and no more wait time to check for over-all performance of each learner. I can say the this is the the technology's gift to learn instantly.

Cons: As a teacher, I want all my students to be self-managing when it comes to learning. Schoology helps me realize this. No comments and no suggestions on its improvement or features.

• Reviewed on 20/11/2018
Deanna P.
Spanish Tutor
  • Reviewed on 26/12/2018

"Great Educational Platform"

Comments: I like knowing which assignments are coming up and when they are due. It is great to be able to find lectures, homework etc easily, as long as the instructor has organized everything into folders.

Pros: I like how easily you can find the classes you are taking and that you can link updates/course info to your own calendar.

Cons: The problem with Schoology actually doesn't have anything to do with the platform itself, rather the administrators b/c if they are not using it and updating the calendar, it does not help you much. If you happen to have an instructor who is well organized and keeps the info updated, this is great.

• Reviewed on 26/12/2018
Derek S.
Manager of Tech Operations
  • Reviewed on 07/03/2018

"Great LMS for K-12 environment"

Pros: The flexibility and control you have within the LMS along with the ease of use. I like how you are able to determine if you want to use a course or group based on what you are trying to accomplish. Not only is this an LMS it can also be used for clubs or things of that nature.

Cons: The app and the web version do not always work the same. They do not sync with your Active Diretory in order to have it so when you add an account to AD it would then sync with Schoology instead of having to then also add an account to schooolgy.

• Reviewed on 07/03/2018
Jennifer B.
Instructional Technology Specialist
Education Management, 10,000+ Employees
  • Reviewed on 31/10/2019

"Schoology to the Rescue"

Pros: Schoology is a one stop shop for instructional technology! From assignments to assessments, Schoology gives teachers an all-in-one platform to foster collaboration and personalization. It is also easy to use for both teachers and students.

Cons: Schoology is constantly improving so there are few drawbacks, but when something needs attention they are responsive.

• Reviewed on 31/10/2019
Christina H.
Special Education Ast
Education Management, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 15/10/2019

"All in one program"

Comments: I use it everyday, for helping kids stay in touch with their work, so even when they are not in school they can still see what we are doing.

Pros: I like that it is easy to get into and store things. It is not only easy for teachers but students and parents. You can acess grades, assigments, missing work

Cons: Sometimes it goes down so that would be the only issue that I see with it. Other then that it is a great program.

• Reviewed on 15/10/2019
Stephanie H.
Instructional Technologist
Education Management, 201-500 Employees
  • Reviewed on 30/01/2017

"A School United with Schoology"

Comments: I am the instructional technologist at a private high school, which means I spend lots of time working with teachers on integrating new technologies into the classroom.

Pros: Most parts are pretty intuitive, but for slower learners, it can seem like a pretty big learning curve. Customer service is fantastic.

Cons: Cannot undo in gradebook, occasional glitches in gradebook-SIS sync that tech support is still working on.

• Reviewed on 30/01/2017
Sales Associate
Retail, 5,001-10,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 30/09/2019

"Great for Homework"

Comments: Overall it's been great to use schoology because it's extremely reliable and easy to use.

Pros: I really love schoology because it works so well and it's so easy to use. I've used a lot of classroom platforms and this is my favorite.

Cons: The only thing I don't like is that the time for assignments is sometimes hard to see if you have a window minimized or you're scrolled to the top.

• Reviewed on 30/09/2019
Steve W.
Business & Information Technology Teacher
  • Reviewed on 29/11/2018

"Create a Central Learning Environment"

Pros: Schoology is a LMS that will enhance the learning taking place in the classroom. Using the LMS has made my students active learners in the classroom by completing assignments, discussions, and assessments inside the program.

Cons: The program has a free side and a paid site. The free side does offer a lot of information, but could offer more.

• Reviewed on 29/11/2018
Special Edcuation teacher
Education Management, 201-500 Employees
  • Reviewed on 21/11/2018

"Updated Teaching"

Comments: Great resource for parents and students. Teachers are able to keep their students up to date on all information.

Pros: Provides reminders when items are posted. Gives organization to a vary of documents. Color coded and easy to label

Cons: So many choices and ways of providing information. Although it can be great to use some of the items can be over wheleming.

• Reviewed on 21/11/2018
Rebecca R.
English Teacher
  • Reviewed on 10/07/2018

"Excellent for teachers"

Comments: Ease of use when it comes to communicating with students and parents. Students figure out how to use it very quickly. Can send messages to classes or students and ensure they see it!

Pros: Schoology is a great platform for both students and teachers. It is extremely straightforward to post assignments/homework, manage the gradebook, and even post "status updates" for your class to read.

Cons: The data analytics could be better. It would be nice to have some hard numbers about trends/patterns in student grades.

• Reviewed on 10/07/2018
Associate System Engineer
Computer & Network Security, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 10/10/2017

"User friendly, Facebook Feel, Learning Curve"

Comments: Was an affordable LMS for my school.

Pros: The first feature I like from Schoology is that wer were able to incorporate our Student Information System to Schoology. This allowed me to pull information that was already available instead of recreating users. Second, I was able to use a Single Sign On authentication with my users so they could use an existing account instead of having another set of credentials. Third, this has a Facebook feel which is great for users because most of them are already familiar with the facebook layout, which decreased the length of time it took for them to use the product.

Cons: Schoology has a lot features available for users to utilize. Unfortunately, a lot of these features take a lot of time to learn properly. Certain environments sometimes do not work properly.

• Reviewed on 10/10/2017
Information Technology Field Technician
Education Management, 1,001-5,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 08/02/2019

"Schoology"

Pros: What I like most about schoology is how easy it is to communicate with teacher/parent and teacher/student.

Cons: What I like least about schoology is that there is a little bit of a learning curve for new users. It can be hard to navigate and find things if you are not a fimiliar with it.

• Reviewed on 08/02/2019