• Overall
    4.1 /5
    4.1 /5
  • Customer Service Software
    3.9 /5

About Paychex Flex

Manage payroll, online or in-house, and save money on time tracking, reports, and processing payroll.

Learn more about Paychex Flex

Showing 1,029 reviews

Anang M.
Restaurants, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 06/10/2020

"Paychex Needs work"

Comments: One and Done (Actually 2 and Done as I gave them another chance to fix things)

Pros: Sales Team was good and responsive mostly when issues occurred (almost every payroll we had issues as well as with the Recruitment module)

Cons: Over promised and under delivered. Recruitment and on-boarding never worked and we paid extra for this. The sales team rushed paper employee handbooks and manually entered our new hires as the self-service module did not work

• Reviewed on 06/10/2020
Anthony A.
Payroll Manager
Gambling & Casinos, 1,001-5,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 27/11/2020

"Better than ADP"

Comments: Overall the implementation is the easiest I have ever experienced and you get quality software and service.

Pros: I love service you get a full time service representative assigned to you which ADP does no have. And I love that personal service.

Cons: The basic reporting could be better. You have to pay for custom reports which some reports should be standard.

• Reviewed on 27/11/2020
Human Resources Manager
Transportation/Trucking/Railroad, 501-1,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 02/10/2018

"Extremely User Friendly"

Pros: As both a Paychex user and admin, I love how easy it is to navigate, you feel that your information is secure and if you experience an issue there is very short wait when calling customer services (typically no wait at all). When you first log into paychex, there are multiple security levels that one has to pass depending on your preference. Also, once you are in there is a dashboard with shortcuts to all the most used features. Paychex is constantly improving their software which is exciting. Our company is really enjoying the new live reports that update on a daily basis calculating everything from turnover rate, average headcount, and hired & termed totals.

Cons: We really enjoy using this software, there is nothing we dislike at the moment.

• Reviewed on 02/10/2018
Joyce C.
VP Customer Success
  • Reviewed on 02/04/2020

"The Biggest Rip Off in the HR Industry"

Comments: Working with PayChex was absolutely the worst experience we have ever had with a vendor. They are great when trying to sign you up but once you do they are impossible to get any assistance. Even cancelling them was difficult because the Off-Boarding team was supposed to call me to help the process of migrating our payroll back and all the necessary steps. 3 Weeks after cancelling no one called and they had the audacity to not only try and bill us but add charges because they tried to pull from our bank for payroll and we cut them off. They have lots of fees that I don't understand how they can justify. Taxes were calculated differently 3 pay checks in a row, getting someone to return email was impossible and when you call you basically get a rep who happens to be the one to get your call, not your supposed HR Generalist, which was absolutely useless. I never criticize publicly about an organization but this one was so very unprofessional and even made worse by the outrageous fees they charge. I would think twice!

Pros: - Paid on time
- Payroll documents easy to download
- Have minimum 100 letters and I don't have anything really good to say, which is a first because I believe in positive reviews and have never posted a negative one.

Cons: - Tax documents not where their website tells you they are and when you call for help they direct you to the place where the documents are supposed to be but not?
C
- HR Generalist does not return calls or emails in a timely manner if at all.
- Absorbent fees to use their platform (3 x payment of $1000) and another $500 per payroll period for 3 employees. This high price is supposed to be for dedicated HR Generalist, which is a joke.
- Very attentive when pitching to you and then the disappear and its a huge organization that has zero communication between each other and departments.

• Reviewed on 02/04/2020
Operations Manager
  • Reviewed on 06/07/2018

"Paychex flex is so easy to use."

Comments: Everything you need is in the system and best of all accurate.

Pros: This software is so easy to use. It gives you tutorials if you get stumped on how to do something. It also has the capability to put all your reports in one place so when you need to run a report, it is all there waiting to be downloaded.

Cons: The only thing I really do not like with the system is that you have to go thru so many prompts to log in and then you have to have a specific code sent to your phone in order to get into the system. Needs to be a simpler way that allows the protection.

• Reviewed on 06/07/2018
Kathleen J.
Hospital Manager
Veterinary Software, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 07/11/2017

"Easy to use, didn't require training, pretty intuitive"

Comments: Easy, consistent payroll service. Inter-department communication could use some work.

Pros: Payroll specialists are very good and on top of their game. Easy to use from anywhere, never down, easy to get reports any time, easy to add in deductions or bonuses, customizable in general.

Cons: If I make a mistake, then go back to fix it, for some reason twice now it would not take my edits and I had to call to fix it, really annoying, I hadn't submitted yet.
Tax questions/DOL questions - you have to wait until they get back to you, no way to know when they will, who is working on it, etc.
Every change needs to have an accompanying form sent in. Very annoying, So if I change it, I have to fill out a form, print it, sign it, scan it back and send it, for every little change. Change an address, form, change a rate of pay, form, change a bank account, form, someone leaves for 6 weeks medical, form out and form back - you get the drift.

• Reviewed on 07/11/2017
Angela H.
Manager of Deerfield Training Center
Mining & Metals
  • Reviewed on 14/06/2018

"Easy to use; report friendly; customized views"

Comments: User friendly and easy to manage for specific needs.

Pros: My favorite aspect of this software was the visability of all my employees on one screen. I could adjust time from same screen and double click to get into the detailed information about an employee. You could set up schedules and with the linking of the fingerprint clock it worked perfectly.

Cons: Manually change times unless you wanted the clock in and out times to be static otherwise you could create a behind the scene scenario for punches.

• Reviewed on 14/06/2018
Kelly M.
RSO
Hospital & Health Care, 501-1,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 25/02/2020

"Paycheck Flex - all in one place"

Pros: I love that I have one login for several different services, we have used multiple platforms before , one for hiring, one for benefits, one for payroll - it’s all in one place which is a time saver

Cons: I have nothing bad to say about paychex flex

• Reviewed on 25/02/2020
Mohan teja K.
Software Developer
  • Reviewed on 24/09/2020

"Worth using payroll services but would appreciate some improvements"

Comments: Overall I would suggest using payroll flex if you are basic user

Pros: I use paychecx for managing my payroll services, I did use other services as well, I can say it does the job necessary what is needed and can recommend it if you are basic user

Cons: I would defenetly suggest improvement as per benifits and imformation sharing persective, I used adp services as well and they offer much more related to those and I would suggest incorporating those improvements.

• Reviewed on 24/09/2020
Kathy L.
Operations Specialist
Education Management, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 21/11/2018

"Great Tool for the employee"

Comments: I'm very happy that my company uses this product. It makes it easy to check where I stand with my hours each week.

Pros: The options available to me as an employee for this product are great. I'm able to track all my working hours, vacation hours, and sick leave hours in one place. If you used this product with previous employers and contact customer service for assistance, you have to help them sift through your potential logins until you get to the right one, should you need assistance. The customer service department can then help you disable to additional logins, if needed, to help with the process in the future.

Cons: You can lock yourself out of your account easily. Granted, the user error is real. Thankfully, their customer service department is awesome.

• Reviewed on 21/11/2018
Susie R.
HR Director
Food & Beverages
  • Reviewed on 09/08/2016

"Paychex is just not the product that I had envisioned when I reviewed"

Pros: I cannot blame the vendor. They only had a very little assistance in set up but the customer service is the worst I have seen in over 20 years. I was going to review them when I was at my last employer The Grand Sierra Resort and am so THANKFUL we passed on them and went with Kronos. This experience has proven to be one of the worst I have ever experienced and Paychex will always be one that I never forget. I would never recommend this to anyone I knew.

Cons: I think that I believe nothing is great about this vendor. When you have an issue, they can't be reached. When you ask them questions, they get frustrated. When I first talked to the "designated person," she was very nasty and I had to ask her if she was ok. From there she seemed to improve but they do not answer my calls. I know there is a level of frustration due to the fact that this company, prior to my arrival, didn't really know how to set it up but as far as that goes, I would imagine they would do their best to make sure the payroll service was on trac and they just do not do that. They don't assist, they don't answer the phone and they don't do much of anything. This employer, Bully's sports bar and grill is paying for things they never used and I am surprised our "Designated customer service person," didn't reach out after a year and say, "Hey, you are paying for this why aren't you using it?" It is just all around a very disappointing product.

• Reviewed on 09/08/2016
Jennifer B.
Site Manager
Consumer Services, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 17/01/2019

"Updated version is not recommended"

Comments: When I first started using paychex flex I had no complaints but now just to clock in (when you’re already in a hurry) it feels like a game of pin the tail on the donkey every time because the icon to click on changes location on the screen every time the program opens up.

Pros: I find the software to be user friendly.

Cons: The recent updates have more cons than pros, especially when the you first log in.

• Reviewed on 17/01/2019
Aleesha R.
Customer Experience
Primary/Secondary Education, 201-500 Employees
  • Reviewed on 14/08/2018

"One of the best payroll services. If you are looking for convenience this is it!"

Pros: I love being able to have access to my payroll at anytime. Not only do you have access to your time sheet but you have access to your paycheck stubs, request time off, and tax information.

Cons: Paychex Flex tends to have a lot of bugs with the site. You can frequently get error messages, or the webpage times out. One of the worst experiences I have had with Paychex is the program not recognizing punches. Which can be detrimental for employee's whose metrics are based off of attendance.

• Reviewed on 14/08/2018
Lead Dispatcher
Transportation/Trucking/Railroad, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 27/08/2020

"Easy to use!"

Comments: Definitely happy with it and very useful! It's great to have the option to use the time card feature on my computer.

Pros: It's great to have so many features in one platform. Time clock, HR reviews, access to your hours for the week, sick time available and requests off. Its nice to have them all available to use.

Cons: Wish there was a feature where the app doesn't log you out after 30 minutes of no activity. Would be great if there was a option to change the timeout feature.

• Reviewed on 27/08/2020
Andrea H.
Design, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 29/07/2019

"app is perfect for employers and employees alike"

Pros: Love that all of my staff can see their pay stubs on the app, can adjust/update their own personal info and 401k contribution. I like to be able to pull reports as needed.

Cons: I wish that employees could see their pay stub 24 hours before it's posted/deposited like other payroll companies.

• Reviewed on 29/07/2019
Shannon S.
Business Manager/Certified Paralegal
  • Reviewed on 17/07/2018

"The program does the job."

Pros: I like that the software is all online and anyone can access the program from anywhere. Access makes the program flexible.

Cons: I don't like that the program isn't always easy to use and talking to customer service can be a little tricky sometimes. Everything always eventually gets adjusted how you would like though.

• Reviewed on 17/07/2018
Jen S.
Multimedia Designer
Nonprofit Organization Management, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 04/04/2019

"Use it daily"

Pros: I like being able to see all my important documents in one place. I also can see my benefits and other things quickly.

Cons: The clocking in and out portion of this software is super buggy. It causes a lot of pain for me and my coworkers, to correct it when it messes up.

• Reviewed on 04/04/2019
Michael B.
VP HR
Hospitality, 1,001-5,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 13/07/2018

"Good for smaller sized companies"

Comments: Good processor for companies with under 1000 employees with simple payroll rules. Customer service was one of their strong points.

Pros: The features are easy enough to use with an intuitive design. The payroll processing was super fast with them with delivery typically the next day.

Cons: Their system is not one database. Things need to update from new hire to payroll to benefits. If you use them as your benefits broker, the information was never correct in what was given to the vendors.

• Reviewed on 13/07/2018
Pamella D.
Law Practice, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 02/07/2018

"I use PayChex Flex for payroll reports and for our retirement account and to track employees."

Comments: Information for our company's retirement account; tracking of our company's payroll; assistance and guidance with employee relations.

Pros: It is organized and user friendly. Our employees have no issues with locating what they need. I am able to navigate to locations and find what I need quickly. I also appreciate the extra level of security to access the site for company information. I also love the online HR library which is so helpful to me as an administrator/office manager.

Cons: I am not able to delete messages from the message board. Sometimes the site is slow to upload. It would be nice if there was an option to remove a reminder once it was completed.

• Reviewed on 02/07/2018
Amy S.
HR Manager
Health, Wellness & Fitness, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 22/10/2019

"PayChex Flex Really Works"

Pros: It's easy to navigate around in and the functions are great to follow as well. All around good product with several ares you can customize

Cons: Sometimes the upload can be very slow and time consuming which can slow you down in working from time to time.

• Reviewed on 22/10/2019
Nancy D.
Compliance
Health, Wellness & Fitness, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 29/09/2020

"Better than the old-fashioned time clock"

Comments: I believe this software has the capability to perform every task that is required of it. How to perform those tasks if you are an admin is extremely difficult and the training is very sub-par.

Pros: Standard users will find that this product is very easy to use regarding punching in/out and adding or changing personal information.

Cons: If you are an admin or super admin for this software, the amount of information you need to operate it is enormous.

• Reviewed on 29/09/2020
Samantha W.
dental assistant
Medical Practice, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 28/01/2019

"THE EASE OF PAYCHEX FLEX"

Pros: I really like using paychex flex. It allows you to view a wide variety of items. Time off, and all of your benefits.

Cons: There is only one thing that I do not like about paychex flex. When you clock in for the day, there is one extra step, which I sometimes forget to do.

• Reviewed on 28/01/2019
Jim M.
Director of HR
Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 16/10/2017

"Paychex meets my needs"

Comments: Once I was assigned a new support person to work with, things flowed more smoothly. Paychex meets our needs with 100-120 employees.

Pros: Ease of use and my assigned support team. The system is setup to allow me to make changes in Payroll, with changes automatically updating on the HR side.

Cons: The original support person I was working with!! Also, the ACA setup/maintenance costs are unfortunate. Tracking ACA on my own - cannot justify spending the money.

• Reviewed on 16/10/2017
Amber S.
HR
Transportation/Trucking/Railroad, 501-1,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 05/12/2018

"Paychex Flex"

Comments: Great experience and would recommend. Reduces paperwork clutter.

Pros: Employees are able to access documents on their own, easy to use, provides checks and W2 at end of year.

Cons: Sometimes system can glitch showing blank screen. Paychex has not yet figured out what causes it.

• Reviewed on 05/12/2018
Ashley M.
Assistant Administrator
Medical Practice, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 13/11/2017

"Love Paychex!"

Pros: VERY easy to use! Never have to worry about messing something up because it won't let you. Customer Service is always available and always good.

Cons: Paychex flex is great but Paychex Time and Labor (TLO) seems a little outdated. This could have improvements made.

• Reviewed on 13/11/2017