• Overall

About ActiveCollab

ActiveCollab is a project management software that gives you complete control over your work. Make Real Work happen now!

Learn more about ActiveCollab

Product Rating

Product Rating

Usage

Sort by

Have you used ActiveCollab before?

Mari-nella B.
Owner in Namibia
Design, 2-10 Employees

It is a beautiful app but not that useful

2 3 months ago

Comments: It was nice in the beginning but I just soon realised I needed something with easier to use features and no hidden costs. Onces a app like this becomes too complicated to navigate or customise - you will not use it as you need to daily because of that hassle.

Pros:

It is beautifully designed so initially it seemed easier to use and navigate. It had a client portal and I could track my jobs and invoice/do estimates all from one place.

Cons:

It has hidden fees. Everywhere it advertises itself as only 7.50 a month. - But using the MAIN FEATURES OF WHY I WANTED THIS APP is extra, like invoicing, time tracking and using the client portal. This was not made clear initially. The client service is terrible. I would ask questions but there response was really terrible english language - not what I would expect from an international app that everyone should be able to understand. Especially a client service person called Darla. Terrible and rude manners and unhelpful.!

Active Collab Response

3 months ago

We appreciate your honest feedback, and we are sorry to hear you had this experience with ActiveCollab. As for the pricing, additional features such as Invoicing, Time Estimates, Workload, Availability, etc., are listed in the GePaid bundle section, which is charged additionally and is not a part of the basic paid plan. You can check out our pricing on the official site here: https://activecollab.com/pricing

Jolie H.
Jolie H.
Visual Space & Training Manager in US
Consumer Goods, 51-200 Employees

Active Collab makes working together simple

4 2 years ago

Comments: My team is spread across the country and Active Collab allows us to work together on projects seamlessly. Our outside partners are also able to work with us easily.

Pros:

Great tool for managing complex projects with multiple stakeholders Pretty robust feature set Simple to access and easy to invite collaborators in & out of my company

Cons:

Upgrades have been a bit buggy and while the team are responsive, they don't always believe that they've broken something

Bappaditya M.
Owner in India

Best Project and task management software for SMEs

5 2 years ago

Comments: Simple UI, even a stupid person may understand after simple guidance

Pros:

I have tried multiple task management software for our company, But anyhow I was not satisfied with other product because of no option to manage workload or time and invoice calculation or somehow workflow is difficult for non technical user to use. Activ Collab has the most simple UI and Design. Only 1 or 2 days training will be sufficient for any users to understand it. Workload segment is really simple and most important functionality it have. And the support team is really great. Most importantly - it have self hosted options which is utmost priority for us for data security and privacy and also we can reduce cost for our users.

Cons:

Android app needs improvement. It doesn't comes anywhere near to desktop web version.

Joshua D.
CEO in US

This system is the very bedrock of client collaboration in our company. We simply need it.

5 4 years ago

Pros:

Diversity of features. It covers calendar integration, task management, expense and time tracking, client estimates and invoicing is integrated, discussions with clients are threaded and neatly organized at all times, file uploads that act as a mini-Dropbox for yourself and your clients, notes, facebook-style timeline of the activity within each project... And I haven't even touched on the level of customization, multitude of extensions (Zapier included), scalability (with self-hosted options!), and the iOS app that works with either cloud or self-hosted versions (our clients LOVE the app). We love ActiveCollab because of it's diversity. That's the one reason that in our opinion, it's simply irreplaceable. Having to replace it would be like adding tripling the administrative work on our plates. It replaces the need for multiple separate services that do each of those things separately. Who wants that when you can have one single login to one single system that can rule them all? ;) SIMPLY. IRREPLACEABLE.

Cons:

The iOS and Android apps needs some work. They don't do as much as the desktop version, so they feel limited. They don't really take advantage of features like gestures or multi-touch, which every smartphone has. We'd really like to be able to upload more than just pictures from the camera roll; some kind of file picking, or option to upload to ActiveCollab from another app (share sheets) would go a LONG way. Optimization for tablet-size screens would be sweet too, along with the simple ability to make text in the app bigger or smaller, so it's easier to read. The calendar allows for syndication via subscription links, but stopping there feels premature. It would help a lot to be able to integrate to Calendar apps (via CalDAV), since the calendar isn't available on the mobile app either. It would be really nice so that we can add or edit events from our native calendar apps of choice. Support is fantastic, and extremely knowledgeable. We run a self-hosted installation, which is more economical for us, but we don't have pros running our server environment. That task falls on us, teaching ourselves as we go, and it feels like support will drop clues about what an issue is, instead of going the distance and going in themselves to help fix the problem. Granted, that's more of a problem with /us/, since we're business administrators and not experts in server management. But support will not abandon you. They've always got your back, no matter how tough the problem!

Ross C.
Ross C.
Creative and Technical Director in Turkey
11-50 Employees

Great Project Management Software

5 4 years ago

Comments: It organizes my life every day.

Pros:

Solid options for organization and streamlining processes that even clients can be taught to use. As a creative agency selling our time it's important to communicate quickly and efficiently with our clients. A big part of that happens at the beginning of every project when they fill out a creative brief. We've used ActiveCollab to set up standard brief templates so AC asks all the questions and they go down the list and fill it out. The time tracker works great and is a painless way to keep track of time. Email notifications are great, especially being able to respond to comments VIA email really speeds things up. Support staff is great. Always available and helpful.

Cons:

The invoicing functionality is great but is missing major sorting and display capabilities. For example, if I wanted to show each time entry with its note about what that entry was for organized by project, I cannot do that. My wife has also complained about the App not having a lot of functionality, but I have not used it much personally. I also think the 'Notes' 'Files' and 'Discussions' tabs are kind of random. Haven't found a good place for those in our workflows and they're confusing for clients. I realize it's a big thing to ask, but I'd also like to see some way of incorporating something like Slack into Active Collab, so we can move away from Skype completely.

Linda K.
Graphic Design Manager in Canada
Higher Education Software, 1,001-5,000 Employees

Flexible, easy to use system

4 last year

Comments: We have been using AC for five years to manage projects in an in-house marketing and communications team. Overall, we've been able to adapt the system to our needs. AC makes it easy to stay out of email for day-to-day tasks like assigning work, reviewing work, checking on project status, etc.

Pros:

Being able to: - upload images and files into task discussion threads to facilitate easy review of work - easily add and archive users - run reports at the task, project, client, and user levels

Cons:

- No integration with Microsoft Teams. - Limited ability to manage user groups or fine-tune user permissions. Most needed feature: - The ability to mark notifications "unread" or "priority".

Susan L.
Partner | Creative in US

Constantly Improving and Helpful Support

5 3 years ago

Comments: The team is immediate to help, and pleasant to deal with. Also, truly they release updates like monthly, the product is always getting better which is AWESOME.

Pros:

This software includes all of the features of the leading brands and more in most cases. I compared ActiveCollab to every system out there and tried demos and trials of each as well. It combines robust options with ease of use, and is more affordable than most other options. We can use kan-ban, calendar or list views, and can organize almost everything to our own preference. They also are continuously upgrading the system and adding features. I also like that they have a roadmap on their website so you know what they will be working on next. Top quality product and service.

Cons:

We used to be able to change the colors and design options but now we are limited to one set of colors and 4 or 5 different background images. I know it is probably only the designers who care, but as a design company, it drives me crazy. It's not ugly, per se, and it is definitely not hard to read or use, but it is not how I would like it to look, so, it's my least favorite thing about it.

General Manager in Spain

Surprisingly helpful and pleasantly quick to implement. Continuing to find more useful features!

5 4 years ago

Comments: Increased project efficiency, improved client satisfaction through better scheduling, better communication, and giving clients open access to interact with us on project tasks (while easily limiting them from internal discussions they don't need to see). Saved time on recording project data and improvements/lessons learned, saved time invoicing thanks to time tracking and integration with accounting software, and have a centralised document store for internal use (apart from client projects) without needing to manage a duplicate access permission system.

Pros:

Lots of detailed helpful features which don't complicate the interface but are great when you start using them. Customer support has pointed some out when I put in what we thought was a feature request... but it already existed and I'd missed it. Actively developed and continually updated without annoyingly changing things unnecessarily or 'fixing' anything that isn't broken.

Cons:

Using Elastic Search as the only available search feature is limiting, as it's difficult to host and especially so in a shared hosting environment. Without Elastic Search, there's not even a simple text search available for project/task/comment description. There's a couple glitches that pop up from time to time but customer support has been responsive about them and some of our suggestions have been included as feature requests.

Clay K.
Network Manager in US
Education Management, 501-1,000 Employees

ActiveCollab Review

5 7 months ago

Comments: Overall I cannot recommend ActiveCollab enough. The application is extremely user friendly and the support staff is extremely responsive and very helpful!

Pros:

I love how easy it was to implement across our IT team. We started using this for our project management and it has drastically increased our efficiency and communication.

Cons:

The only thing I have found that I dislike about ActiveCollab is there is no due date for overall projects. You can create due dates for individual tasks, but it would be nice to set it for the project itself. In no way has this impacted our performance, it would just be a nice feature to add.

Michel M.
CEO / Creative in Switzerland
Marketing & Advertising

Best Collab Tool Out There

5 5 years ago

Comments: Over the past 10 years I worked with several online project management, collaboration and accounting tools, including Basecamp, Harvest/Forecast, Freshbooks, Trello, Asana, Teamwork, Podio, Wrike, etc. Two years ago we started working with Active Collab, and it is the most comprehensive tool so far. Not everything is perfect yet, but compared to all other tools out there, it does the best job in modelling your business, enabling collab workflows and being on top of all projects developments. And it has a nice UX, which is very important if you work 8+ hours a day with an app/software/tool.

Pros:

Covers almost everything you need for team workflow and managing (digital) project, nice UX, rich features, moderate price

Cons:

Lacks a dashboard/cockpit, reports should be more flexible and easier to use, design of estimates and documents should be more flexible, billing options should be more flexible

Project Manager in US

OK for task & project management

4 10 months ago

Comments: It is an average tool that will get the job done for anyone that needs basic task and project management.

Pros:

This tool is intuitive to use and had a pretty easy ramp-up period. Projects can be organized easily and tasks are easy to create and assign out. The comment function works well for tracking task updates and notes.

Cons:

Does not have a task workflow built into it, and is not great if you have more advanced project tracking needs. The time tracking also needs improvement.

Active Collab Response

5 months ago

Appreciate you sharing the feedback with us! We would love to hear more about the suggestions for improving the time tracking and workflow on tasks, you can reach out to our support at [email protected] or share your suggestions on this page: https://activecollab.com/help/suggest-a-feature

Emma S.
Chief Editor in Spain
Writing & Editing, 11-50 Employees

ActiveCollab is great for keeping in touch with colleagues around the world - makes it fast and easy

5 4 years ago

Comments: Ease and speed of use, ability to tag co-workers, review discussions easily and keep track of tasks.

Pros:

I love the fact that it's linked to my email account, so if there is a new post I know about it quickly! It's also great that I can reply to threads directly from my email, that feature is so helpful. I like that the threads within ActiveCollab are easy to keep track of, so no more wading through emails trying to find a reference to something! The interface is quick and easy to use, and it's great being able to tag co-workers in threads to grab their attention.

Cons:

There isn't much to be honest, but I suppose I would like it if the software took me directly to recent activity, as when there are a lot of projects sometimes I find it hard to navigate my way to the thread I'm looking for. But that's a minor quibble! Other than that, I really enjoy using the software.

Matthias N.
CEO in Germany
Design, 11-50 Employees

We have been using ActiveCollab as a collaboration tool in our agency since 2009 and are still happy

5 4 years ago

Comments: Our entire team is happy to finally use only one piece of software for teamwork. Starting with the project manager, up to the developer and the support all use the same software. Due to the interface (API) the software can be integrated wonderfully into our existing system infrastructure.

Pros:

Cons:

We use the self-hosted version of the program. One requirement for the search is the use of ElasticSearch. Unfortunately this is not possible at the moment, so that we cannot use the search.

Aaron G.
Partner in US

Very intuitive for our daily use. Our 4-person team is able to keep everything clear and organized.

5 4 years ago

Comments: Workflow efficiency. Team project management. Time-tracking for hourly clients.

Pros:

The robust features that are at our disposal should we scale up or change the way we work. Discussions, notes, tasks, lists. Third-party app integration if needed. I like that we have room to grow. I also very much like the reports. As the business owner, it's key to see how efficiently my team is performing, and how to keep our workflow profitable.

Cons:

Day-to-day, the timer app is buggy. It's frustrating when I can't scroll through our long list of active jobs, or when the status doesn't appear in my toolbar for easy reference. We've also had issues with days going by with time records not being logged, having to take screencaps and re-enter by hand (if we're lucky enough to no re-start the app). A better timer app would be very welcomed.

Al S.
Al S.
Search & Digital Marketing Consultant in US

I have been an advocate of Active Collab and I have been taking it with me with every new company

5 4 years ago

Comments: It's a great contractor\agency tool. But you don't have to be an agency, its great for in-house too

Pros:

Easy to use, affordable, logical, logical, really helps. The latest version has greate GUI and I have been using this tool for last 4 years. I first used it at Xivic, then took it with me to Get My Auto, Everything Online, Digital Advertier, and now my own consulting firm.

Cons:

I wish it would connect to other project management tools such as basecamp, asana, etc. I work with many contractors and vendors and if I could do everything in active collab, then it would create a ticket in their platforms, it would be awsome.

Kaylie K.
Brand Manager in US

One of the best project management softwares I've used (and I've used a lot!)

5 12 months ago

Comments: I have used a lot of project management software between different jobs and Active Collab has by far been the easiest, most straightforward, and practical. I love how streamlined it is. I've used far too many software that try to do too much at once and there are WAY too many buttons and options to complicate things. Active Collab gets the balance right between offering lots of features and keeping the interface user friendly. While there are a few features I wish this had, Active Collab has been great at listening to their users by adding requested features. I greatly appreciate it!

Pros:

-Easy to see everything assigned to me -Ability to star projects to keep them at the top -Multiple timers all reside under a convenient clock icon at the top -Ability to add reminders -Labels

Cons:

-Can only sort tasks by name, project, or due date. I wish you could sort by more than one thing at a time (i.e. By project AND due date) -Sometimes buggy, but a simple refresh usually fixes the problem

Director of Publications and Marketing in US
Nonprofit Organization Management, 201-500 Employees

Active Collab for In-house Marketing

4 3 years ago

Comments: It's been a lifesaver in keeping our department running efficiently and everyone on campus can access us without leaving their building.

Pros:

Ease of use, very similar in concept to Facebook. The price is super reasonable. I know there are more elaborate platforms out there, but for our small, in-house marketing and communications team it works really well. They keep improving it based on customer feedback.

Cons:

Sometimes there are issues uploading files, you can really only upload one at a time.

Anthony j. F.
PS Project Manager in US

Game-changing for our Deployments

5 3 years ago

Comments: This product completely changed the way we deploy our software. It provides us, our clients, and our partners with transparency and clarity in communication and remaining tasks.

Pros:

This application offers a good mix of features and simplicity. Specifically, I like the ease of creating projects and assigning tasks to personnel.

Cons:

Certain tasks are admin-heavy - time entry against a task comes to mind. You need to click through a couple of layers to add time to a task. A number of features have been added but the missing functionality impacting us the most is that there is no "out of office" messaging or a way to delegate projects for times of planned absence.

Lukasz O.
Brand Identity Designer & Consultant in UK
Design, Self Employed

God view for your freelance work

5 12 months ago

Comments: Overall the tool is amazing and has so much value in it.

Pros:

Complexity – time counting, project & task management, reports and invoicing in one place.

Cons:

Workload feature doesn't adapt to time spent on task already – in consequence, it's a bit confusing to know exactly how much time you should spend on your work in the following days because it's basing on an estimated time only. Also, it's not possible to create a team in which team members have can view time entries for the project of other team members which makes collaboration witch hour-rate system difficult – I have to send a screen of time spent on a project to my client (who is a team member in ActiveCollab) every month.

David K.
David K.
Systems Analyst in US
Chemicals, 51-200 Employees

Excellent project management program. Have used several and we chose ActiveCollab.

5 4 years ago

Comments: Changed the way that we manage projects and tasks. Really increased visibility for teams about where their projects are, who is responsible for items, and what needs to happen to move forward.

Pros:

Very intuitive and easy to use. Has most of the features of the larger competitors. Being able to self-host was a key consideration for our industry, most others are only cloud based. It makes managing projects and teams very easy, and everyone can see what is happening in real-time.

Cons:

Don't have many dislikes. Would like to see more flexibility with the time and expense tracking, as well as more admin control over notifications and preferences.

Andrea S.
Entrepreneur in Spain

Great tool for Project Management

5 3 years ago

Comments: Great tool, one of my favourite. Very simple to use for entrepreneurs, PM, clients, developer, designer.
I reccoment to everyone who manage online clients.

Pros:

I like the UI and the simplicity of use. Overall it is a great and intuitive tool. I think that also the invoicing system is not bad but I'm not using it.

Cons:

I manage several companies, each company manage more than one project. Would be nice add a gerarchy for Companies > Projects > Tasks. At the moment Active collab doesn't manage this feature. And another feature that I'd like to see that is missing, and for me would be nice, add a logo for each project card.

Damien H.
Lawyer in Switzerland
Law Practice, 2-10 Employees

Great collaboration software...

4 5 years ago

Comments: ... but be prepared for frequent massive changes. We had some headaches in the past for updating activeCollab and switching from the old version to the next one.
The ability to run it through php and mysql is great. It needs elasticsearch and this is not great at all.
Right now, the software is well-done. It offers the essential features for a collaboration software. It lacks : two-phase authentification, integration with office 365.

Pros:

Easy to use Easy to install Cheap to host

Cons:

Future not clear Frequent changes in recent times

Philip G.
Lead Designer in UK

More features than Basecamp and considerably cheaper

5 4 years ago

Pros:

Easy to use Updates are released on a frequent basis (and are a 1-click install) Requires little to no training You can create subtasks (unlike Basecamp) You can set a task start date as well as end date, and use a Gantt chart view of projects (unlike Basecamp) Can be installed on your own server

Cons:

The mobile app is not yet fully featured and receives infrequent updates You can't preview most types of files yet (such as Word docs like Basecamp does) In the 'My Work' section, you can't yet filter by day/week/month like you can within the project pages

Daniel F.
Manager of Technical Services in US

Tested many Project Management Apps available and still feel ActiveCollab is one of the best!

4 4 years ago

Pros:

I like many aspects of the software, so hard to be specific but the overall value and ease of use ranks up there for me. The software developers took a more simplistic approach to Project Management then other Apps about there, which I like.

Cons:

I don't dislike much but would like to see more analytics for the Timeline features and the Client Views/Access vs our Views/Access should be a bit more unique. Meaning, would like to see more Roles and Permissions settings for the Clients, so they we can have more flexibility or more options under Roles and Permissions.

Maureen A.
Principal in US
Media Production, Self Employed

Works for us

5 5 years ago

Comments: I've been using this for about 6 years now, 4 at my employer's and when I opened up my own company went with it again. It's intuitive, and handles most functions that an agency needs, in one spot. I am able to use it well for internal team as well as managing freelancers, and adding them as needed.

Pros:

Easy to use, intuitive, even for those not as familiar with it

Cons:

Very minor, things like printing invoices or SOWs directly from system instead of downloading to my computer first