HoudiniESQ Reviews

Filter by:

• Overall
  • Customer Service Software

About HoudiniESQ

Integrates with LawPay, Word, Excel, Outlook, Evernote, QuickBooks, Acrobat, Calendar/Court Rules, WordPerfect & Google.

Learn more about HoudiniESQ

Christopher M.
Christopher M.
Litigation Specialist
  • Reviewed on 13/11/2017

"Far better than the other management software out there!"

Comments: The ease of having everything in one place that does everything a firm needs. I haven't found anything that our firm needs that Houdini does not already do!

Pros: I love the functionality of Houdini. While some of the features are not the EASIEST to use, the customer support to walk you through it is amazing, and done on the spot. Every issue I've ever had with Houdini has been lack of knowing exactly how it was done. But the program itself is amazing, works exceptionally, and their support is the best I've ever seen!

Cons: Some of the features can be a little confusing at first, but the support staff will immediately demonstrate how to use it. I have not done the free training program, which I'm certain is exceptional -- based on my experience with their staff -- so, a lot of my lack of know-how for certain features is my fault. But, even without the training the software is very easy to use and has amazing features.

• Reviewed on 13/11/2017
Taras K.
Owner/Attorney
  • Reviewed on 14/01/2015

"HoudiniESQ: A promising case management program"

Comments: Overall, I am very satisfied with HoudiniESQ. I have used the one-account free version to manage the cases for my budding law firm for several months now. The program is relatively straight-forward. Many of the program's parameters can be readily customized, which I appreciate. Also, it can upgraded to accommodate my growing legal practice. Customer service is generally pretty on-point when it comes resolving occasional issues. Plus, the price can't be beat! For a sole-proprietor like me, the fact that the program is offered free of charge for a one-seat account, was a big selling point when I was opening up my law firm. However, as with any case management program, there are a few drawbacks to HoudiniESQ that I would like to see corrected. For instance, some minor cleanup may be necessary when it comes to invoices. Presently, I have to limit the length of each task that I enter into HoudiniESQ for any given client because, if the task description is on the longer side, it will be cut off on my invoice, with a "..." appearing at the end. I wish that the program could simply carry over the rest of the task description to the line below. Also, there is another invoicing issue. More specifically, if a decide to not charge a client for a task, but still want to have the task appear on the invoice as a "no charge," I have to remember not to open up the task again after I put "0" for the charge about b/c, if I do, HoudiniESQ will automatically refill the charge amount per the going rate for the task, effectively overriding my override. Left unnoticed, this issue can cause MAJOR issues b/c the error tends to spill over to future invoices. Another issue that needs to be addressed has to do with calendaring. I regularly use Google Calendar for organization. But, almost immediately after syncing my HoudiniESQ with my Google Calendar, I had to turn off syncing. The problem was that syncing made all of my case tasks appear on my Google Calendar, regardless of whether the task was an upcoming hearing reminder or a notation that I received and read a letter from an opposing attorney. In effect, my Google Calendar became heavily cluttered, showing tasks that have no reason to be on my calendar. In short, I would like more control over the calendar syncing option and invoicing. I trust that these issues can be fixed in future updates. But, all-in-all, I am very happy with this program and I think that it shows great promise. Thank you, and keep up the good work!

Alexander G.
Legal Services, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 06/11/2017

"Houdini Esq is smooth, powerful, flexible, logical and secure. I couldn't ask for anything more."

Comments: Houdini makes my life easier and my practice more productive and profitable.

Pros: I have been practicing law for almost a quarter century. I started with Houdini many, many years ago, when the project was still teething (I switched from Abacus). I can confidently say that even in infancy Houdini and its combination of logic, power and flexibility were head and shoulders above any other package on the market, many costing three times more. Since then, the management and development teams had nurtured and evolved this software into an awesome powerhouse with intuitive, user-friendly features, and absolutely unique capabilities, which other packages sorely lack. Magic has universal appeal, and Houdini is equally well suited for solo practitioners, who appreciate its instinctive simplicity, and multinational law firms, who take advantage of its infinite customization and industrial-strength features. I can wholeheartedly recommend Houdini to any law firm regardless of its size or practice areas.

Cons: I really had to scratch my head to identify any faults or weaknesses in Houdini. Still scratching .....

• Reviewed on 06/11/2017
Jeff S.
Principal Consultant
  • Reviewed on 14/01/2015

"Does what it does better than the others..."

Comments: (Full disclosure: I am an INDEPENDENT legal practice management consultant who chooses which products I want to work with... and a HoudiniEsq consultant - among others.) HoudiniEsq is one of a few legal practice management products that actually gets it: it will do a lot of end-user concepts (custom forms, triggers, document management/generation) better than any other legal practice management product. It also does a lot of the administration concepts (true relational database; updates that work and don't force you to roll back because they don't install properly, flexibility to run in almost any environment) very well too. HoudiniEsq makes it easy to capture and bill time; it allows firms the ability to create and store data on custom forms that provide the firm with the necessary data in order to function efficiently; it is intuitive and continues to add new features that mean something to the user base, and not just something a marketing guy thought would be great to list on a brochure - heck I don't even know if they have a "marketing guy"! Mobility is probably it's strongest point: it can be accessed by a phone/tablet/laptop, and an iPhone app is in the works (currently it's biggest end-user request.) The list of what it doesn't do is a small list: besides the above-mentioned iPhone app, electronic billing is probably at the top. It continues to grow its list of end-user features, often because the developer listens to the requests that come directly from its users. And the price: FREE for solos? You cannot beat that deal. Add more users and pay more, but you are still paying for a product that works, and every time they make a product release the response from the user base is "Yes!" and not "So what? Does this stuff actually work?" Want to write a check and not deal with updates, backups and server updates - go with the SaaS version and pay monthly. If you still prefer the idea of your data residing on your servers in your office, then go with the On-premise version. Not all practice management programs offer both options. While not perfect (no software is), it ranks at the top of my list when clients look for legal practice management software.

Gail B.

"Review of Houdini ESQ"

Comments: As a bookkeeper in a law firm, Houdini ESQ presents some challenges. The program is very user friendly overall, except for certain bookkeeping limitations. It is easy to teach, and the learning curve is small. There is no way to generate a true prebill, an invoice in invoice format prior to finalizing all information for invoicing. The prebill screen does not print the matter name, or balances due, or trust balances. If an invoice is generated to be used for reviewing prior to finalizing, it is necessary to delete that invoice, make any needed changes, then regenerate the invoice - a cumbersome, time-consuming process. If edits are made to events on a printed prebill (one of our partners prefers to review his invoices on paper and have me make the changes), it is necessary to "find" the event and make the edit in the system. If multiple events are to be edited, as often occurs, each time I save the changed event, the screen flips back to the top and I have "find" the next event for editing, rather than being able to continue chronologically forward to make all necessary changes. Either keeping the screen at the event just changed and being able to go forward chronologically, or being able to search by date/time, would make this process much easier. The Houdini generated statement of account lists every invoice, payment, and all charges ever generated for the client's matters. Our office prefers to generate statements indicating only the prior open balance, if it was paid when the payment was applied, and only for matters with activity during the prior 60-90 days. We have to generate a manual statement in order to limit the amount of information provided to the clients. When payment is received in a lump sum with more than one open invoice, Houdini does not automatically apply the payment back to the prior open invoices -- this has to be done manually, again a time-consuming, cumbersome task. We are happy with the program and its learnability. We'd just like some fine tuning to be done. Thanks for the opportunity to share.

Cliff A.
  • Reviewed on 16/01/2015

"It's been worth sticking with."

Comments: The Pros:
The price. The power and flexibility. The ability to integrate.
Continuous improvement. These guys are constantly working to make a better product. The support staff. I was a bit cranky with the way the whole flash problem went down, but I get the impression that was a significant stressor for Houdini, as well. They seem to have worked hard to overcome that, and since then have continued to provide "on the spot," "out of their way," profoundly dedicated service. The cons:
The learning curve is significant. Houdini is anything but plug and play. It takes significant time to get comfortable with the various modules, which are not always, and especially not at first, intuitive.
Integration ability generally limited to microsoft products. Would love to see the ability to integrate with something like libre office and Mozilla's Thunderbird (not sure if the coding time is worth it for Huodini, but I would love it.) Buggy - weird things happen from time to time, like already added events or contacts "disappearing" from a matter. They tend to reappear after one (or a few) restarts, or after a patch, but they keep me in constant fear of losing some important data. The way ledgers work could be much smoother. I hate having to generate a bill to give a discount, and then having to produce a statement to reflect the discount, and then give the client two sheets of paper with an explanatory letter because without an explanation it won't make much sense to the client. It can be even more painful when generating the statement brings up every matter I have handled for a client that is still open, even though I only want to provide 1 bill for one matter at the time. Overall, I stick with Houdini because it provides what I need, appears powerful enough to provide what I will require as I grow, and, most importantly, because it is constantly improving. Houdini appears genuinely interested in what its users want and is continually working to provide just that. Once a person gets over the learning curve, Houdini is hard to beat.

• Reviewed on 16/01/2015
James D.
Partner
  • Reviewed on 09/11/2010

"Doan Law Firm - Bankruptcy Attorneys"

Comments: I manage a high volume bankruptcy practice in California and HoudiniESQ is living up to Mr. Rivera's statement he once made to me, "If you can think of it, we can get HoudiniESQ to do it for you." So far, I continue to be impressed. I highly recommend this product for law office management. Actually, it could be used for virtually any industry. I used to walk into court with a dolly. Now I carry only my laptop and can access my entire office from any browser (Explorer, Safari, Mozilla, etc). Best thing, I can access my office from anywhere in the world with any computer that has an internet connection. Or, I can access my office through my mobile phone with the HoudiniESQ mobile app. Way cool. Don't take my word for it... you can download it free from Houdiniesq.com. Whether you're a solo practitioner (like I used to be) or a firm with 17 offices and expanding (like we are now), HoudiniESQ can handle the load.

Pros: Easy to use, easy to configure, economical, scalable. Links Matters, Contacts, Notes, Emails, and Documents. Allows us to centrally manage our entire bankruptcy practice (17 offices and expanding) without the need for terminal services connections. The CEO, Frank Rivera, is extremely receptive toward ideas that enhance the product. Mr. Rivera's team is doing a great job of staying on the cutting edge of technology.

Cons: The release date. I wish this product was available BEFORE we dumped tens of thousands of dollars into Time Matters and the "leading bankruptcy customization feature package".

• Reviewed on 09/11/2010
Mallory S.
Paralegal
Legal Services, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 29/12/2016

"Great program"

Comments: We use Houdini at our law firm. It is easy to use and helps make our firm run smoothly. I am a paralegal here at the firm and for me, Houdini is wonderful because it helps me keep the attorneys on track. There are minor things that could be changed or updated with the new 2.0 system, but overall this program is excellent and we enjoy it here at the office. :)

• Reviewed on 29/12/2016
Lita D.
Lawyer

"Review of Houdini"

Comments: The product I find to be useful. It has easy to read billing. It is great that it is cloud based. That is the biggest asset for me. It is also multi-faceted that you can do other things with it aside from billing. The fact you can not only track revenue but also store documents is great. What I have found frustrating in learning to use the system which I am by no means an expert is that the customer service I have found to be hasty and sometimes a bit rude. I have in a pinch had to talk to various people and they have acted like they are pushed for time or slightly condescending. I always feel like the dummy calling the techy. Believe me if the attorneys are calling the tech firm directly for billing we have tried multiple times to get the question done with first picking up the phone. I also have had long response times in waiting for call backs or no call at all returned. I have considered changing billing but I have decided as of now to keep my business with Houdini in the hopes that I 1. won't have major questions that require phone calls or 2. Get someone in the office that can assist in learning the fine nuances of the program. It would also be great if there was a single cheat sheet for frequent questions/Hints rather than looking through a library of videos and parceling through a page worth of articles.

Marta H.
Assistant to Ricardo Corona
  • Reviewed on 04/11/2017

"i love the program"

Pros: it's easy to use. easy to enter payments and expenses. i love the accounts receivable report. the customer support is great. integration with outlook and word is very useful

Cons: it doesn't have some reports we would like to use and sometimes we have issues with the invoices. We have to restart the program once in a while and sometimes after updates we have issues.

by LOGICBit on 07/11/2017

hey Marta, thank you for your review of HoudiniEsq. Please send us any issue you experience. We love to fix the little annoyances.

• Reviewed on 04/11/2017
Antonio M.
  • Reviewed on 28/02/2011

"The future of online Legal Practice Management is here!"

Comments: "The future of legal case management is HoudiniESQ... The HoudiniESQ team understands how case management software is supposed to improve a law firms workflow. What is different about HoudiniESQ is that everything you do is an event. Everything is an event that is billable. Read an email, it gets billed. That's right, as you read your email it gets billed. If you draft a document it automatically gets billed. Schedule an appointment, not only is it automatically billed, click a button when you schedule it and an email is sent telling the client the date and time of the event. I can go on and on. This application is the future of PMS. This is the way to practice.

Pros: Tight integration with Microsoft Office. If I don't have access to my own computer I can still work because HoudiniESQ includes its own integrated tools for Email, document management and assembly, billing , invoicing, contact and matter management.

Cons: None that we care about but it would be nice to have integrated document annotations.

• Reviewed on 28/02/2011
Rebecca F.
  • Reviewed on 14/01/2015

"A Fairly Intuitive System"

Comments: I switched to HoudiniESQ from PCLaw after getting tired of constantly having to pay for Lexis Nexis's "Annual Maintenance Plan" to get any technical support. The cost was really adding up and the product was not that user friendly. I spent hours researching the best systems that would also function with my Mac and settled on HoudiniESQ for its ease of use and fully integrated workspace. I love that it has all the features I need, with the exception of business accounting, in one program. I have had some difficulty relating to emails with attachments (the receiver cannot always see the actual attachment, even though it is clearly attached on my end, and sometimes I cannot open attachments from senders). Other than fixing that problem, the only thing that would truly make the system better is to have fully functioning accounting as part of the program so that I can track all of my non-client business expenses within the same program instead of needing to use quickbooks.

Mark G.
  • Reviewed on 20/04/2012

"Holy Grail of Legal Software for Solos"

Comments: I am an advanced legal software consumer. I have been using Lexis Nexis TimeMatters / Billing Matters for over 15 years. Ever since Lexis Nexis began their policy of charging a "reinstatement fee" to their loyal users that had dropped off the annual maintenace plan, I have been looking for a replacement LPM solution. This is it! It has all of TimeMatters features and a whole lot more! And the best thing of all, it is FREE for solos like myself. I am seriously considering paying the $792 to have ALL of my TimeMatters data imported over to this platform, but for now I'm just moving over the current years data. So instead of paying Lexis Nexis $2,100 in reinstatement fees for a 3 user setup (I don't use 2 of the users) I can still save over $2,000 that I can spend on other necesities.

Pros: Document Automation, Workflow triggers, INTAKE FORMS completely relational database across all record types.

Cons: Nothing so far!

• Reviewed on 20/04/2012
Alexander S.
  • Reviewed on 09/04/2015

"Awesome Product and Customer Service"

Comments: I have tried Time Matters, Clio, Rocket Matters and Pro Docs. I switched to HoudiniESQ and have not looked back. I have been using HoudiniESQ for about six years now. In that time, I have experienced unparalleled customer service and product support. Its simply amazing. HoudiniESQ cares about their customers and product and it shows. They have a great software program because they listen to their customers needs and respond to them. And lawyers nonetheless. Who wants to listen to a bunch of lawyers complain? Technology, like law, is an ever evolving business. HoudiniESQ lives in both worlds and they know what they are doing. If you are a lawyer reading this and thinking about making the switch to HoudidESQ, do it. You will end up asking yourself why you didn't do it sooner. I'd give ten stars if that option was available on this site.

• Reviewed on 09/04/2015
Matias P.
Legal counsel
Legal Services, 5,001-10,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 23/12/2016

"Functionality in progress"

Comments: Main features work well. However there are some important issues that need to be corrected. 1) In "Matters" we cannot get a list of cases in their order of arrival date (yes it does give you date order for the cases that have been last modified but this really isn't useful), What is needed is listing by arrival dates. One can make arrival date column in "Key Dates" but you can't list using it which sucks. Also you cannot get a lit of other "Key Dates" in Matters. If you can then please add these functions to "Matters" section as an option. These would be very useful features. 2) Sometimes it looses some of my cases especially if someone else has made the case and then appointed it to me. 3) the search field is usually not working. Sometimes it finds the words written to it but mainly it just runs for a while with no results. 4) We should be able to customize the names of some headings like district and county as we use these for different purposes 5) Some of the sections like "Project" never work 6) Something good: it lists activities etc. very nicely and that function is working well

by LOGICBit on 24/12/2016

!

• Reviewed on 23/12/2016
Ramona H.
  • Reviewed on 15/01/2015

"A wonderful service for the solo"

Comments: HoudiniEsq is a quality product that works well for a solo. The clients enjoy the updates and the back door access, and it saves a lot of time one would usually spend typing updates or in client meetings. This is particularly useful when there are billing questions. The linked calendaring has helped organize my office so that tasks are more likely to be done on time.
The biggest downfall is that there is a lot of data input and that takes time, particularly when you do not know the limits or uses of the system very well. Switching between one view and another seems to cause double entries.
It would be helpful to be able to speak notes into the system like you can on an iPad. It would also be helpful if there was a smaller, lighter version for syncing on the iPad/phone.

Ricky G.
  • Reviewed on 17/01/2015

"Beyond Customer Service"

Comments: I have used HoudiniEsq for 2 1/2 years, and I'm sorry it took me so long to switch. I was a TimeMatters user dating back to 2000, and was very happy for the first several years. But once I switched to a Cloud Based system, I could never imagine going back to a server based.
But what sets Houdiniesq apart is it's customer service. Last summer I asked for a small change to the program - something new. The head tech guy contacted me, and the change was implemented in a few weeks! I really could not believe that I asked a software company to change their product and they did.
I haven't used the other products, but if you are looking for a case management system where you can communicate with the CEO and suggest changes that are implemented, HoudiniEsq is it.
Ricky Gallagher

• Reviewed on 17/01/2015
Steve W.
Chief Cook & Bottle Washer
  • Reviewed on 14/01/2015

"Very comprehensive legal practice management software!"

Comments: The best part about using Houdini is that there is no charge for a single user, solo practice setup. The program logic is straight forward, but the learning curve is a little steep. But since MOST attorneys have passed the Bar exam, this shouldn't be a problem! There is comprehensive documentation and many how-to videos, but a 1-2-3 setup guide including better descriptions of the various options would be extremely helpful. I prefer reading documentation rather than watching a video, just a personal preference. The Quickbooks connector is great and the Evernote integration is also a big plus. After reviewing all our other options, Houdini ESQ seemed like the best and least expensive place to start and grow.

Sam M.

"Great Product"

Comments: I have used several law firm practice management programs. For a solo practice, each one has significant deficiencies. Most are glossy and look good from the surface. Their sales departments will offer demos, but not actual use of the program. Basically because the program doesn't really do what you need it to do. They are difficult to setup and use, or require an IT department to run. A little snag and you are down for a day talking to their tech support in the Philippines.
Houdini is different, you can actually use the program before you buy, and tech support is right their to help you navigate through the setup and operation. Houdini Esq. by far solves many of the issues that a solo practice requires.

Marcus C.
  • Reviewed on 14/01/2015

"Software Review - GNC Law Firm"

Comments: Pros - Customer Service and evolving software. Customization is great. Cons - Limitation with Billing. Invoice should be changed to allow more manipulation for discounts, edits and changes. Also, invoice should be custom to firms (allow logos and images). Program has been great for us. Would like to see folders, and folder creation for documents and email for better organization. Allow individual matters to be entirely downloaded. It would be nice to click the smith file and transfer all files or all selected files with one click to USB drive or hard drive. Would like to see mobile/tablet app.

Kaitlyn R.
  • Reviewed on 15/01/2015

"I've never had so much difficulty learning and configuring a software program."

Comments: PROS - Seems like it does everything / most of everything we wanted from a case management software, and it's free for solo practitioners! This is huge. It's the reason I tried it, more than once. CONS - Not user friendly. I couldn't figure anything out. It was all very unfamiliar - the layout, workflow, and terminology all felt cumbersome and confusing. The "Help" portal was glitchy and usually didn't work when I clicked on a page to read the instructions. I also could never figure out how to access it remotely. I called customer service, and while they were somewhat helpful (I got the gist of what they said the problem was), they ultimately did not help me solve any of my problems. I am computer saavy, but they made me feel like an idiot on the phone. I was embarrassed that I couldn't even get to a level of basic functioning, and I didn't want to be bothering Customer Service all the time, so I just quit trying to use Houdini altogether. I've never had so much difficulty with a software before. I'm dumbfounded.

Brian D.

"Excellent Product"

Comments: Before going with Houdini I tried several other products and have been a long time user of Time Matters. After trying Houdini I felt that it had all the features of the far more expensive products. Houdini has all the features I wanted and it is integrated with word, outlook and google, all of which were very important to me. The only downside of the product is the creation of invoices. I would like it to be a bit easier to customize. Overall a great product.

Russell K.

"Waist of Time"

Comments: I am a solo practitioner licensed since 2013. I downloaded HoudiniESQ and began inputting client info and documents into the system. I found it to be unwieldy, and duplicative of things I am already using like contacts, reminders, and such. Perhaps this product will work great for someone who has the time to work with it for several months or can hire someone to do the initial slog of data entry but you still have to integrate its systems into your work flow. For me I just didn't have the time to make this work and am really happy with the basic stuff I was using before.

by LOGICBit on 24/03/2015

Integration of software into your workflow is the whole point of "Software" Russell. That being said, Spreadsheets have worked for decades and in many cases Software isn't required to run a small practice. I think you will find that once you hire staff integrating software into your workflow will feel like time well spent. -Frank Rivera

Sina M.
  • Reviewed on 14/01/2015

"Don't know where I would be without you!"

Comments: HoudiniEsq is an amazing software that handles all my inter-office needs. I am able to manage all my clients, their cases, and their opposing counsels all in the same place. I would like the software to be a little easier to use, but the company provides endless tutorials, including video, to help me with what I need to do. If that wasn't enough, and I am really stuck, I call the help line and they are quick in solving my problems. THANKS!

Paul L.

"Leader of the Pack"

Comments: The extraordinary thing about this program is that it is comprehensive and user friendly, so much so that even baby boomers can figure it out without having to call a help desk in India. The next best thing is that for lawyers on a shoestring budget it is affordable and secure because it can be run off the cloud. So I give it two thumbs up for price, accessibility and price.