Spiceworks Reviews

by Spiceworks Ziff Davis

• Overall
    4.4 /5
    4.3 /5
  • Customer Service Software
    4.2 /5

About Spiceworks

Download free IT help desk software for IT pros & sysadmins around the world in all businesses. Support & mobile apps also free.

Learn more about Spiceworks

Patrick C.
System Admin
  • Reviewed on 10/02/2020

"Best ticketing system"

Comments: This tool has been great for us. It’s very user friendly which was better then other ticketing systems we looked at. It’s been very beneficial to be able to keep track of our tickets. One huge benefit is the use of the mobile tool to be able to access and our modify the ticket when our users are on call

Pros: Great tool for ticketing system. Being a small company we used excel to track calls and troubleshooting with customers and we needed a better solution to keep track of all the calls and tickets created. It’s been great that we can access this in office and on our mobile device to refer to past notes in a ticket when we are on call. One benefit that we love is adding and modifying fields in the ticketing system to keep track of certain information of the customer

Cons: Having gone from tracking our own calls manually this has been a huge benefit and we haven’t noticed any downsides to using this.

• Reviewed on 10/02/2020
Gladis T.
Controller
Facilities Services, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 03/12/2020

"Lternative use"

Comments: I left the company but know that facilities manager kept using it years after. He was pleased as was the CFO.

Pros: Great tracking of open tickets. Easy to see what has not been completed. We used this to track facility service tickets at a school. Teachers had the ease of submitting and seeing when the request was completed or the progress made if it entailed multiple stages.

Cons: At the time 2010 there was no app. There were no user complaints.

• Reviewed on 03/12/2020
Senior Systems Engineer
Machinery, 1,001-5,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 10/02/2021

"Great for smaller businesses, not for larger"

Comments: Overall, Spiceworks is a great tool for a small business with only a few techs. It has some great options for monitoring/management of devices. As a company grows, however, it will show some of its inefficiencies and really require a more enterprise level product.

Pros: The ease of use and simplicity for getting a helpdesk up and running. It's easy to install, add in some network credentials and you're able to scan your network for the monitoring/inventory side.

Cons: The lack of expansion, the inability to associate it with a proper SQL server instead of their SQLite DB, which caused massive slowdowns as we got more tickets and became a larger organization

• Reviewed on 10/02/2021
Steven C.
IT Support Technician
Primary/Secondary Education, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 10/05/2020

"Spiceworks Helpdesk Cloud - Small Enterprise"

Comments: We have been able to improve our response time to user issues by appropriately configuring ticket categories, assignment rules. The number of walk-ups to the help desk has been cut by more than 50%, which has permitted our IT support staff to be able to manage their time more efficiently. Our TTR has improved, as well as the level of customer satisfaction within our organization

Pros: This application is extremely easy to set up and configure. It can be configured as an on-premise application or in the cloud. Administration is managed through a dashboard which permits administrators to manage roles for support personnel to whom tickets will be assigned. Tickets can be automatically assigned to individuals or teams based on configurable categories and ticket rules. There are standard data entry fields included and the administrator can add additional fields as needed. For example, during the Coronavirus pandemic, with everyone working from home, we added a mandatory phone number data entry field to our ticket layout. Data entry fields can be made mandatory if desired. When a ticket is created by a user, the ticket is entered into the system with all of the information provided by the user and the user receives a confirmation email. The ticket will be assigned to the proper support agent or team based on the rules configured within the application. Any replies to that email are automatically added to the ticket with date and time added. Tickets can be easily closed upon completion. Duplicate tickets can be merged into one ticket which helps with management of the ticket queue. The user portal is easily customizable with company name and other options. Users can even attach a screenshot or other file to the ticket to provide useful information beyond the text description of the user problem. Best of all, it can be used for free.

Cons: Since this is a free IT Help Desk application, it is not nearly as full featured as some other IT Help Desk applications. Reporting is not as robust as some other applications. However, you can easily download information in .csv format and create your own reports if needed.

• Reviewed on 10/05/2020
Peter P.
Software Project Manager
  • Source: GetApp
  • Reviewed on 17/07/2019

"Spiceworks keeps me always alert and well informed of the workings of my teams at all times."

Comments: It is an excellent system that gives me the opportunity to visualize the state of my network, which allows me to be always informed, updated and alert to any inconvenience that our equipment may present. We have been able to monitor our servers and switches using any agent that is installed on each one. With Spiceworks I have been able to scan all network devices and desktop computers with windows in a very simple way.

Pros: This system is very easy to use and configure, even for users who are just starting out in these activities. It has the main property of always keeping us informed of the state in which our servers and switches are located and in case of any problem Spiceworks will alert us even before it occurs. Another feature that has benefited us is that it is not necessary to log on to an individual computer, we just have to open the system and be able to buy everything. It is a fully automatic system and we can use it from any type of device that is integrated into a browser compatible with the system, provided that the data is hosted on the computers of the internal network of our company.

Cons: Sometimes the system can become a bit slow, especially when we access the system through low-income or old-order ones.

• Source: GetApp
  • Reviewed on 17/07/2019
William B.
Assistant Technology Coordinator
Education Management, 201-500 Employees
  • Reviewed on 16/04/2019

"Spiceworks - The Ultimate Help Desk?"

Comments: Spiceworks is an excellent (and FREE!) option for an IT help desk. I guarantee you won't regret at least giving Spiceworks a quick test drive to see if it is a good fit for your team.

Pros: We have been using Spiceworks for 3-4 years and I absolutely love it. It allows our team to stay on task, easily communicate through notes on tickets, and most importantly get work completed efficiently. We obviously chose this software because it was free, but kept using it because it was easy to use, easy to configure, and had a large community of support behind it.

Cons: Some features of Spiceworks simply don't work well. Such as the inventory component of the software. It attempts to gather all the computers in your domain and place them in an inventory so you can track and monitor them, but at least half of our PCs just don't report in no matter how much troubleshooting we try.

• Reviewed on 16/04/2019
Doriann M.
Analista de Sistemas
201-500 Employees
  • Reviewed on 25/06/2018

"An excellent trip to the organization, control and monitoring of my company LAN."

Comments: I get control of the company's computer park and with software's functionalities I was able to get all the information about their life time. It also allowed me to carry the statistics of activities and faults in LAN allowing me to study their numbers and attack the problems with greater precision.

Pros: It is a Swiss Army knife for network administrators allowing inventory, equipment monitoring and failure tracking and activities within the same package. It is great to be able to have everything you need within reach of an IP address, in addition to being able to receive as many notifications as you want and of what you want within the operation of the network.

Cons: The hardware requirements are many, leaving out all those equipment with few features. Although software as such does not merit investment, it concentrates on the necessary hardware.

• Reviewed on 25/06/2018
Jim M.
IT Specilaist
Real Estate, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 15/05/2018

"Spiceworks Help Desk has made my life easier"

Comments: I am able to track and prioritize work that needs to be done and communicate with the user about the progress of their request.

Pros: It enables my user base to submit requests easily and allows me to communicate effectively with those users as far as the progress of the request and helps me to track requests. No more losing my "To Do" list. In addition, I can add a ticket for something I want to get taken care of, assign it a priority and follow updates all from one place. I also have the ios app so I can see it anywhere. In addition to all that, it is free!

Cons: It's hard to say what I don't like because I am not terribly familiar with other Help Desk Software for comparison. The initial setup was a little confusing for me. There was support but it was email and so there was a bit of time delay. Getting users to understand that they don't need to send a new email everytime because it creates a new ticket has been a challenge.

• Reviewed on 15/05/2018
Gilbert S.
computer specialist
Government Administration, 501-1,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 08/05/2020

"Above average Trouble Ticket System"

Comments: I work in Government Agency and we use Spicework as our IT Ticket System. We instruct our users to open Tickets and the Tickets send emails to the IT Team Members who then comment and or update the Ticket.

Pros: The Website Portal is very intuitively laid out. Creating Tickets and then Commenting on them makes it easier to work as a Team and tackle a wide variety of IT problems. The Website Portal also makes it easy to merge similar Tickets together.

Cons: The software to setup your own Spiceworks Ticket Server is practically free, the only draw back is the ads. Not a very big deal the ads are not in you face or play annoying music like some websites are starting to do. To clarify Spiceworks ads do not play any music and are at least IT related.

• Reviewed on 08/05/2020
Javier victor marian B.
Network Security Auditor
Public Relations & Communications, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 18/07/2019

"Great tools for manage IT Tickets."

Comments: Well I been out of level 1 Sysadmin for a couple of years, but I'm back. I started on a new company that I'm doing level 3 but eventually level 1. They had already in production Spiceworks. I used to use this tool long time ago, and starting using it again I can easy see the improvements.

Pros: Its somehow easy to use, as IT Sysadmin level 3, I find it somehow easy to use. But when we gave access to non technical persons they take several days to start getting comfortable with them. Its quick, has a lot of options and we have it integrated with emails. So, just sending an email to an account will generate the ticket and even assign the IT based on the CC. thats a great time-saving option and super easy for end users to open a ticket. Imaging ask an end user to go to a page, do several clicks, fill a form, to open a ticket about change the computer time. They will never do that. So we love spiceworks.

Cons: Not so easy to use for non tech people. Even if you go to the home page and log in, its hard to find the IT Help Desk section, you need to give them the direct link to it, or they will expend an hour to find it. (happen several times).

• Reviewed on 18/07/2019
Charles S.
IT Consultant
Information Technology & Services, 501-1,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 21/09/2016

"Spiceworks Review"

Comments: Our team solves tickets everyday using Spiceworks. Love the fact that users can log in and check on the status of their ticket. The email notifications for incoming tickets is also very good. It greatly increases our company's performance without costing anything. This is easily the best ticketing system available on the market.

Pros: Easy to use, free and Great UI. Love the ticketing system. It's greatest feature is the inventory management system, it scans and inventories practically everything on your network.

Cons: The only thing I dislike is that spiceworks only supports Windows Servers. I hope in the future they start supporting Mac OSX.

• Reviewed on 21/09/2016
Loyal W.
IT Director
Education Management, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 13/07/2018

"Amazing Free Tool."

Comments: We get to communicate with our end users closer on issues and determine if we can guide them through the troubleshooting or walk to their location. It saves time and money while increasing communication.

Pros: You can't beat the price. It is free, easy to configure, and easy to use. It is cloud based so no internal setup. It does allow attachments so pictures and document guides can be sent back and forth with users asking for help as well.

Cons: You are limited in setup options and design. You can change some colors, text, and add some fields, but it is a basic free help-desk tool.

• Reviewed on 13/07/2018
James C.
IT Specialist
Entertainment, 10,000+ Employees
  • Reviewed on 09/12/2018

"Outstanding, absolute as well as complete helpdesk software"

Comments: I would say it is the most outclass software that can be used in a best way for keeping picture of hardware inventory update. Furthermore, it can be utilized for serving the purposes of internal auditing.

Pros: I would say it is the most fantastic way of monitoring numerous devices quickly and easily. It is the most user-friendly software. I love its interesting features and dashboard through which we can easily see the frequency of open as well as closed tickets. Moreover, another plus point is that of using this software is that we do not have to worry about using our important data as it has the option of saving history also that can be reviews anytime.

Cons: Spiceworks Network Monitor is one of the best IT tools. When I started using this tool it was a little difficult to learn, but it did not take long for becoming me an expert of having a great command. Now I feel this is the best network monitoring tool I have ever used that does not keep cons.

• Reviewed on 09/12/2018
Scott K.
Director of IT
Education Management, 1,001-5,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 21/07/2016

"Used for Years"

Comments: There is a local (completely free) or web based version (monthly cost $10), exceptionally easy to use and install. Updates have been seamless and it is a unified communications platform

Pros: Easy, configurable and free. Has an App for Admins which makes remote administration easy. Has good updates, version control and notifications.

Cons: Can't interrogate 100% of network devices but it is close to it.

• Reviewed on 21/07/2016
Michael D.
System Administrator
Financial Services Software, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 23/07/2019

"A huge boost to our performance"

Pros: Spiceworks was a God-send for me and my team. We needed a tool that could adequately query requests and Help-desk calls whilst keeping it simple. We were almost instantly able to achieve this. It's fully customizable to suit whatever need we have. I'd even recommend it for non-IT teams. It's that flexible.

Cons: It's great out of the box, and support is great but it was still a bit of a learning curve to configure. All in all an awesome product.

• Reviewed on 23/07/2019
Rob D.
Systems Administrator
Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing
  • Reviewed on 27/05/2015

"Free Help Desk? Yes, please. PC Inventory could use some work."

Pros: One thing that sets Spiceworks apart from their competitors is the responsiveness of the support staff - which is free! If you have a problem, they'll email you back usually within the hour with a response, and will help you until the issue is fixed. This is more than I have experienced with various paid solutions over the years. For some reason, this just works. The Help Desk is exceptional - again, considering this is a free product, it is quite extensible and has many options out of the box. Now, it's not an ITIL certified application, but for most SMB's, this will do the trick out of the box. You can literally be up and running within 10 minutes of install.

Cons: Sometimes, the direction of the development for the various modules (purchasing, inventory, etc.) aren't quite in sync, so you'll see some development progress quickly in some areas, while others still look as though they've been untouched for the past 3 or 4 major revisions. I think since the company has increased in size so quickly, there is some code creep which has occurred over time. I do believe that the devs are trying to reel the codebase in, but right now, it's kind of all over the place.

• Reviewed on 27/05/2015
Oil & Energy, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 21/12/2018

"Awesome Help Desk Solution with an amazing support community"

Comments: Helped manage the entire cycle of ticketing very smooth. The documentation and support from the community helped us tremendously.

Pros: Has almost every feature a help desk solution should have - beside basic ticketing tracking, has features for tracking inventory. Provides access to great documentation, and solutions to so many technical issues.

Cons: The interface on the admin and client side seem a bit cluttered, little simplification could help.

• Reviewed on 21/12/2018
Daly S.
HR Technician
Human Resources, 1,001-5,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 24/01/2019

"Organization"

Comments: We have drastically improved our customer service experience for our employees. Our employees are so much happier now that they get faster assistance to some of their concerns. It keeps the staff in our department on their feet knowing that they have a pending ticket open that needs attention.

Pros: I love how it keeps our department organized. We have it set up so that when an employee emails our department with a question/concern, it generates a "ticket" on Spiceworks for us. We've found that it's easier to keep track of than emails. Sometimes emails can get overlooked.

Cons: There is nothing I don't like. It's extremely helpful.

• Reviewed on 24/01/2019
Kevin L.
Partner
Telecommunications, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 23/10/2018

"Great Free Helpdesk Software"

Comments: Highly recommend Spiceworks Helpdesk, great product with my kind of price - FREE!!

Pros: Free is Free, so what can I say, it can also record and create an inventory of all items on your network.
Fantastic saving that allows you to move helpdesk budget elsewhere.

Cons: Only downside with free is the ads and also the emails that you get trying to sell you stuff, but as long as you use a spare email address for it. None of this should be an issue.

• Reviewed on 23/10/2018
IT Project Manager
51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 19/06/2018

"The IT community built around Spiceworks make it worth it just for that alone"

Pros: FREE! Yes, it doesn't cost a thing other than ads, but we find they really they are not all that obtrusive. This is not just bare bones free either, its literally the entire enterprise level suite.

Cons: Network scanning is quite slow and we find that sometimes device outages are not found right away. When scans do finally complete, often some manual edits are necessary.

• Reviewed on 19/06/2018
Dominic S.
Systems Consultant
  • Reviewed on 23/11/2017

"Excellent IT help desk ticket management program."

Pros: I like how I can put due dates on open tickets so I can keep tabs on tasks and when they need to be completed.

Cons: We receive an email when a new ticket has been created or a team member has replied to it. I've run into issues where when I reply to the ticket via email, it doesn't update the ticket in Spiceworks. It doesn't happen all the time, but it's definitely frustrating when it happens.

• Reviewed on 23/11/2017
James M.
  • Reviewed on 08/12/2017

"Free helpdesk and IT asset management, what more do you want"

Pros: Okay, it is free, not like a trial version but fully free. As is the cloud based version but that doesn't do the Asset management. Install it and use it. easy. Oh yeah did I mention it is free. Help is community based but it is very good and active.

Cons: We had some issues getting ti to talk correctly to some of our older switches but other than no real negatives

• Reviewed on 08/12/2017
Andrew C.
Assistant Vice President - Information Technology Systems
Financial Services Software, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 18/12/2018

"Fairly easy and best price point!"

Pros: We are a SMB that needed to streamline some IT processes including help desk tracking. Spiceworks also gave us inventory insight into our network, and is an open community that features lots of new plug ins.

Cons: If something doesn't work the way you think it should, it can be tricky to work through and determine what needs to be done instead.

• Reviewed on 18/12/2018
Chet P.
WFM Manager
  • Reviewed on 02/07/2018

"great free product"

Pros: This is a great helpdesk product for free! I tried other free solutions but none were as complete as this. I highly recommend to all those on a budget

Cons: They dont let you create user profiles. Everyone who submits s ticket puts in their email as a username. If they fat-finger or anything like that, it tracks it as a separate user.

• Reviewed on 02/07/2018
Ryan B.
  • Reviewed on 03/04/2018

"Great free helpdesk tool for IT pros"

Pros: Very customizable - you can add categories, columns. Works seamlessly with users and is very easy and simple to use and make changes. More features are added over time. It's free!

Cons: Can sometimes be a bit buggy but this is usually easily resolved. Maybe not as feature rich as paid for helpdesks but does everything I want it to do.

• Reviewed on 03/04/2018